Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
yam111

Friends: (0)
Unhappy esc programming

hello folks, i am a extreme newbee to the eflight scene and decided to make a start with an ez hawk by dynam, its the 4ch 2.4 ghz set up, i proceeded to assemble it but had to replace the reciever due to a neighbour getting involved claiming he knew about rc and trying to plug the battery directly into the receiver which in turn blew it up, i then subsequently realised that the esc was not responding either, i have changed that for a hobby king 25-30a hkss series esc but can only get throttle response, does anyone have an idea or advice on binding this set up, i would be very greatful.....
Old 11-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Sounds like you got the throttle issue resolved. (It may originally have been due to the ESC safety, where it must see a low enough throttle position from the transmitter. The throttle trim may have had to been lowered, or in some cases reversed.)

Now nothing else works, except the throttle? There's the outside chance that your 'friend' fried all the servos, too. But I'd check that your servos are plugged in correctly. They should have one black wire, and hopefully your receiver has markings that show +, -, and signal. The black wire should line up with the -. If you have another servo laying around that wasn't connected when the incident happened, I'd plug it in and try, to verify the servos are OK.

Maybe there could be something else that others could help with too, but you should give your make and model of your transmitter and receiver to help us help you.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Yep, if the throttle works ok and providing the servo plugs are the correct way round then it sounds like your helpfull neighbour has also fried your servos

If he managed to connect the flight battery direct to the Rx (that must have took some doing!) then the receiver, ESC and servos will have all been exposed to high voltage. The battery is a 3 cell Lipo so fully charged that would have been about 12.5V which almost for sure would destroy the servos instantly, they are designed for 6v max. You might have got away with it if it was a two cell lipo but not a change with a 3 cell... Sorry

Steve
Old 11-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
yam111

Thankyou for the quick reponse guys, luckily the servos were not plugged in at the time but i will connect it all up and try again, will it effect binding if all the servos are not plugged in, and does it alter the rx/ tx binding with a non stock esc???
Old 11-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 

Those things shouldn't effect the binding at all. Double check the polarity.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
raffjones

Hi guys,

I got a Dynam EZ Hawk as a Christmas gift today from my wife and kids. The manual may as well not have been translated for all the use it is to a complete beginner!

I've been trawling the net looking for advice on the most basic of basic requests - I just can't get the Tx to bind to the Rx at all. When I switch the transmitter on with the throttle (and trim) at the lowest possible position, then connect the battery, I get the little "1,2,3" beep, but then an endless series of beeps. Nothing works. It does not stop beeping.

I've literally no idea where to go from here, as the manual and other forum posts I've seen suggest that you need to calibrate the throttle which starts with turning the Tx on with the throttle in the lowest position, moving to the highest, then back down - yet nothing is having any form of result.

If any of you flying wizards with experience of the EZ Hawk could give me any pointers, I'd be really grateful, as its been a pretty disappointing start to the world of RC planes

Thanks so much,

Raffjones
Old 12-25-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Raff,

I found a video:
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

the trick that you are missing may be:
  1. You need to connect the battery within 10 seconds of turning the Tx on
  2. Dont have the Tx too close to the receiver when you do it
Old 12-26-2012, 12:13 AM   #8
raffjones

Default Solved - Binding Dynam Tx to EZ Hawk

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post

the trick that you are missing may be:
  1. You need to connect the battery within 10 seconds of turning the Tx on
  2. Dont have the Tx too close to the receiver when you do it
JetPlaneFlyer, I can't believe you answered so quickly... and to my great delight - THAT WORKED!!!!! Thank you so much. It seemed to be the combination of both suggestions.

It has produced a new problem in that the left aileron servo is now constantly buzzing and once everything fires up the left aileron is locked right down. It's like the servo's neutral position is completely wrong. But I guess that's a problem for a different thread

Still, I just want to say thanks again for getting me over the first hurdle. You've stopped me banging my head off the wall!

Cheers,

Raff
Old 12-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #9
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Glad to help. I've often noticed the range issue when binding other brands of radio. The TX needs to be a few ft from the receiver for reliable results, but the instructions never tell you that!.

Regarding the aileron. Either it's a faulty servo (not unknown) or the arm has been fitted in the wrong position.
You need to remove the servo arm (it's retained by a small screw in the middle), power up and let the servo find it's centre, check that the servo is responding properly to control input, then re-fit the arm.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
raffjones

Hi JetPlaneFlyer

Thanks again for this further advice. It does look like the servo is responding fine with range either side of its starting point (about 120 degrees to the surface rather than 90). I'll try refitting the arm.

Cheers, raff
Old 12-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #11
quorneng
Super Contributor

Club: A lone flyer!
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

raffjones
It is possible the arm was fitted incorrectly but my instinct tell me there is also the possibility that it was originally in the correct position and that at some stage it has been forced round.
In doing so it may well have damaged the gears.

It might be better to take it back and point out the problem before you do anything.

If you do refit the arm check that it travels smoothly over the full range and that it is capable of doing so against some resistance (light finger pressure). Any damage to the gears will cause it to jump teeth and the arm will no longer be in the correct position.
Do not fly with a damaged servo
It will have to be replaced.

I don't wish to appear to be spreading doom and gloom but it may avoid some disappointment.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #12
raffjones

Hi quorneng,

Thanks for that. Under light finger pressure, the servo will travel right to the other end of it's range.

If I loosen the nut on the control rod, slide it right along almost to the end and tighten it with the aileron flat, the aileron seems to work fine, but from what I've read this is not a good plan - that the control arm should be at 90˚ for things to work as expected.

I bought it online (before the wife and kids wrapped it and kept it as my 'secret' present). I'll take some photos and send them to the company I bought it from to see what they say.

Really appreciate the advice.

raff
Old 01-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #13
raffjones

Default Replacement servo for Dynam EZ Hawk

OK, so Nitrotek, the jokers I bought the plane from just aren't responding to support requests. There's a post on Twitter advertising a job for Nitrotek customer support in Stockport dated 2nd Jan Alas, only now do I find that a lot of other people have had similiar experiences with post-sale customer support.

Anyway... it's just a problem with the servo, so I thought it would be a good time to just replace the aileron servos with something a little better and sort it out myself rather than waste any more time with these guys.

First plan was to get HXT 9g servos all round, but I read that they are a little power hungry... which in turn led to a thread on adding a custom BEC.

I don't really want to get into modding the components to this extent before the plane has even left the ground (getting lots of sim time at the moment!) so can anyone suggest a basic servo replacement that would work with the Dynam EZ Hawk?

Cheers,

raff

PS: I realise this is actually in the wrong thread... sorry.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers