Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-13-2007, 07:37 AM   #51
grumman5277

Friends: (1)

Hey CHELLIE,

I think you would be suprised at how cheap 118-120mph really is. My kit prices kinda help as well.

Het 4t or 3t usually $50 (3 turn will run very close to the same speeds on 3 cell packs and keep the weight down a little.)
Hitec 322hd $9.99 ea
TP or eq. 2100-4000 2cells in series (4s)
using a 5.5x4.5 apc
I recommend at least a 45 amp + esc.
I have seen cheaper esc's around $1 per amp. I have used GP silver series esc's on 4s and a Bec. They are cheaper and have very good product support,
Jeremy

NewbreedRC.com
Old 12-13-2007, 09:33 AM   #52
Stan-the-Man
Stan-the-Man

Friends: (0)
Question Hi Brad...

Originally Posted by 777 View Post
My favorite was brushless WOT (about 70mph) into a football goalpost. The battery ejected and it spun like a boomerang to the ground. The goalpost rang like a giant tuning fork! As I walked towards it, I was sure that it would be destroyed. No damage at all!! Just some white paint on the covering!!

I love this stuff.

Brad

I'm enjoying your dialogue about your wings... I started trying a Zagi along the shore in Cal using ridge lift. Nothing like you guys, but had fun. I flew at night using glo-sticks. My first lesson in lack of depth perception.

I'm putting together the Beginner's Glossary and you used a new term to me, "WOT". Would appreciate posting this for new viewers.

WOT =

Thanks.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:14 PM   #53
lmopar69
Gravity Stinks!!

View lmopar69's Gallery26
Send a message via Yahoo to lmopar69
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  5kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (7)

WOT= Wide open throttle (full speed!!)

Old 12-13-2007, 01:23 PM   #54
lmopar69
Gravity Stinks!!

Awards Showcase

Oh, and as for the HET motors... I LOVE the 3W on 3S, the 4W on 4S and the 3W-25 on 6S!!! You cant beat the prices and the performance is equal to much more expensive motors. Only problem I have is I can get MOST of them from www.warbirds-rc.com but, some I have to order direct from www.highendrc.com and since High End is over seas, it takes too long for my impatient personality

Laine.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:50 AM   #55
tppjr

Default OT Vinyl cutter

Has anyone tried one of these or have any experience with similar ones?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...link:middle:us

Thomas
Old 12-14-2007, 03:52 AM   #56
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,115 Times in 2,025 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

Originally Posted by grumman5277 View Post
Hey CHELLIE,

I think you would be suprised at how cheap 118-120mph really is. My kit prices kinda help as well.

Het 4t or 3t usually $50 (3 turn will run very close to the same speeds on 3 cell packs and keep the weight down a little.)
Hitec 322hd $9.99 ea
TP or eq. 2100-4000 2cells in series (4s)
using a 5.5x4.5 apc
I recommend at least a 45 amp + esc.
I have seen cheaper esc's around $1 per amp. I have used GP silver series esc's on 4s and a Bec. They are cheaper and have very good product support,
Jeremy

Great, Thank You again, I saved this thread, so i can refer back to it, I will be getting the Sledgehammer soon, I like the fact thats is bigger, and easier to see, Take care & Have fun, Chellie
Old 12-14-2007, 04:00 AM   #57
grumman5277

Originally Posted by tppjr View Post
Has anyone tried one of these or have any experience with similar ones?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...link:middle:us

Thomas
Thomas, Those seem quite nice. If I was looking at one I would probably go with a little larger one as it would pay for its self pretty quickly. They are investments but in this hobby might have a nice return. My local hobby store has one that is similar to the larger cutter. It makes it nice because it will handle full rolls monocoate as well,
Jeremy

NewbreedRC.com
Old 12-14-2007, 04:38 AM   #58
tppjr

Originally Posted by grumman5277 View Post
Thomas, Those seem quite nice. If I was looking at one I would probably go with a little larger one as it would pay for its self pretty quickly. They are investments but in this hobby might have a nice return. My local hobby store has one that is similar to the larger cutter. It makes it nice because it will handle full rolls monocoate as well,
Jeremy
Jeremy,

Thanks, If it could do monokote was going to be my next question. How big and do you know what brand the one your LHS is? I am leaning towards the 15" one if I go with Roland.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:48 AM   #59
grumman5277

Roland is quality stuff. The cutter they have is at least a 36 inch but Ill have to see what brand when I stop there tomorrow,
Jeremy

NewbreedRC.com
Old 12-30-2007, 04:58 AM   #60
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by lmopar69 View Post
Geesh, all this and not even a mention of the Ohio Combat 42" Sledgehammer, 52" Battle Axe? BY FAR MY FAVORITES!!! Slow and low or up to 150mph!

So, my favorite wing... anything from Ohio Combat.

Laine.
Really Laine? I never would have guessed...

"Give a man a plane and he'll fly for a day.
Teach a man to build a plane and he'll fly for a lifetime"
Old 01-03-2008, 10:08 PM   #61
unicorn man

my addvice to anyone buying a first wing would be to pay atleast $200's because that is were the wings start to get good. I right now am flying a mini speedwing ex from speedwing.net. it was like $250 but is the best plane i have ever owned( i have had something like 8-10 planes) it has 3 very good things about it
1. It can fly in a very small place ( the infeild of a base ball diamond)
2. it is very manuvarable even compared to my 48" unicorn with an astro 20
3. it is dead quite.

this is a video from the maker of the plane
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Landing is the only required maneuver.

Electric the new Gas
Old 01-16-2008, 11:55 PM   #62
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)
Default On the other side of the coin

What wing would you recommend as the best E-glider or sailplane? I know just about all FW's will glide, but most models it seems are made for speed or combat. Which would be the best for slow and lazy thermalling?

"Give a man a plane and he'll fly for a day.
Teach a man to build a plane and he'll fly for a lifetime"
Old 01-17-2008, 12:21 AM   #63
Schlepp

The 48" Unicorn floats real well, if built light it thermals well too.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:08 AM   #64
darrickv
Frequent Flyer

Default Xe2

I also have to vote forthe combatwings xe2. Go brushless & lipo. It will scream when you want it to, or it will soar in the thermals. I took mine slope soaring which was fun, but nothing beats watching her go vertical at full brushless power.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:40 AM   #65
marjamar
"SpeedWing Test Cruncher"

Right now I like our Sparrow Hawk RTF the best out of what we design and build. It is the most advanced design in a small wing ever. Uses all the right stuff and a little more for not much more cost then the average small/medium brushless wing.

Here's a little flash slide show I just put together to show it off.

Hope you like it -- I do!

Click on any slide to go our SpeedWing.NET website page for more info on this one-of-a-kind wing.

-Rodger

"Real Fun - Real Fast"
Old 02-10-2008, 05:46 PM   #66
unicorn man

i would have to go with
www.speedwing.net
they are pricey but well worth the money they are indusructable and they have planes for all types of wings

i have two right now soon will have 3

Landing is the only required maneuver.

Electric the new Gas
Old 02-10-2008, 05:59 PM   #67
lmopar69
Gravity Stinks!!

Awards Showcase

While all wings are awesome, even the cheapest scratch build, Im just stuck on the Ohio Combat ones. Something about them is just "perfect" if you know what I mean. The just kinda, do it all.

Laine.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:29 AM   #68
sgtdirt
RLTW Carpe Cerveza

Club: NCEF
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

i know this is an old thread but i didn't want to open a new one just for this post.

for speed and stablity, i have to go with the Prodigy (sylvanaircraft).
i decided to glass it which made it super stiff with little weight penalty. threw on a Don's Wicked motor running on 4s and... Whew!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-13_13-02-58_382.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	165094 bottom

Name:	prodigy.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	165095 top
Old 09-13-2013, 01:57 AM   #69
Wga22

Versa wing by flitetest

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20130904_180503.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	170795
Old 10-05-2013, 12:40 AM   #70
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

I have to toss in a mention for the Crashtesthobby.com Grim Reaper. Designed from the ground up for contact combat. Speed range 15 to 85 mph with a cheap Hobby King motor. 55" wingspan.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Honorable mention to Crash Test Hobby's Assassin, the toughest plane on the planet. 34" wingspan.
YouTube Video

If you're flying combat and see either of these suspects, just land.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:41 AM   #71
pattern14
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
I have to toss in a mention for the Crashtesthobby.com Grim Reaper. Designed from the ground up for contact combat. Speed range 15 to 85 mph with a cheap Hobby King motor. 55" wingspan.
YouTube Video

Honorable mention to Crash Test Hobby's Assassin, the toughest plane on the planet. 34" wingspan.
YouTube Video

If you're flying combat and see either of these suspects, just land.
You may as well paint these planes pink compared to the combat wings made by "Wowings", the Australian EPP glider manufacturer I bought 3 kits 5 years ago, and they are still all flying, despite countless mid-airs. They also fly in 50 knot winds, and are formidably aerobatic. I guess American "tough" equates to American beer
Old 10-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #72
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Actually one of 'em is painted pink. It's tough enough to wear pink and dare anybody to make fun of it. I don't see any Wowings videos even close to the brick wall trick the Assassin does. Face it. None of those planes could do that and live.

Holy Cow! Those are overpriced gliders, not combat wings. Nice designs with lots of breakable angles on 'em. The only one that has any durability to it is the Duck and there is not a single claim of combat durability.

Bring 'em on and we'll see what a real combat wing is. Be prepared for heartbreak. Hint: real combat wings aren't gliders in prissy shapes and they're made by Crash Test Hobbies in Utah, USA. Come visit the sWARm Uncivil War next year. The water's warm and you'll get a warm welcome. Bring glue and extra planes. And bring that Gannet if you have one. You'll have a blast flying it as a glider in the non-combat events. That's one bad-ass looking sloper there.

YouTube Video
Old 10-15-2013, 03:08 AM   #73
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default Sounds like fun

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Actually one of 'em is painted pink. It's tough enough to wear pink and dare anybody to make fun of it. I don't see any Wowings videos even close to the brick wall trick the Assassin does. Face it. None of those planes could do that and live.

Holy Cow! Those are overpriced gliders, not combat wings. Nice designs with lots of breakable angles on 'em. The only one that has any durability to it is the Duck and there is not a single claim of combat durability.

Bring 'em on and we'll see what a real combat wing is. Be prepared for heartbreak. Hint: real combat wings aren't gliders in prissy shapes and they're made by Crash Test Hobbies in Utah, USA. Come visit the sWARm Uncivil War next year. The water's warm and you'll get a warm welcome. Bring glue and extra planes. And bring that Gannet if you have one. You'll have a blast flying it as a glider in the non-combat events. That's one bad-ass looking sloper there.

YouTube Video
Thanks for the invite. No way I got the spare cash for a return ticket to the U.S right now, but it sounds like it would be a lot of fun. Your right about the Wowings products in one aspect- they are pricey compared to other stuff, and they are combat gliders only. What I did was buy 3 Duck wings, and build fuses for them, using the laminated EPP technique I worked out a few years back. The only people around me that fly combat are two of my teenage sons, as no-one else is interested. The few clubs that exist actually frown upon it quite openly. We have hit the sides of houses and sheds, ripped off gutters etc etc, and been back in the air pretty quick. I pulled my personal favourite down a couple of weeks back, and there was one minor tear in the port wing leading edge. I copied the Canterbury sailplanes technique of cross taping with bi-directional tape, and they are virtually bullet proof.. Unfortunately, Australian manufactures are nearly extinct due to the chinese undercutting of prices, but that's the way of the world. Cheers
Old 10-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #74
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by pattern14 View Post
Thanks for the invite. No way I got the spare cash for a return ticket to the U.S right now, but it sounds like it would be a lot of fun. Your right about the Wowings products in one aspect- they are pricey compared to other stuff, and they are combat gliders only. What I did was buy 3 Duck wings, and build fuses for them, using the laminated EPP technique I worked out a few years back. The only people around me that fly combat are two of my teenage sons, as no-one else is interested. The few clubs that exist actually frown upon it quite openly. We have hit the sides of houses and sheds, ripped off gutters etc etc, and been back in the air pretty quick. I pulled my personal favourite down a couple of weeks back, and there was one minor tear in the port wing leading edge. I copied the Canterbury sailplanes technique of cross taping with bi-directional tape, and they are virtually bullet proof.. Unfortunately, Australian manufactures are nearly extinct due to the chinese undercutting of prices, but that's the way of the world. Cheers
Hopefully, well designed EPP slope gliders are something the Chinese aren't too interested in. We use Scotch 2" Extreme Tape. It's bi-directional and has the glue from hell. Then we laminate the wing with UV protection low temp DocuLam. I'll bet it's about the same as your wings.

Yes, combat is frowned upon by some. The guys in Utah go through a lot of effort to make sure it's as safe as it can be, but they do it without the endorsement of the AMA, which sees all kinds of bad things happening if they promote such craziness. They're right but the Utah guys do a great job and no injuries ever. Well, except for the occasional plane, but being EPP, if they are damaged its easy to get 'em back in the air.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #75
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Here you go! 85 mph plus honkin big flagpole equals plug the battery back in and toss her back in the air.
YouTube Video

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings