Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-22-2012, 03:13 AM   #76
IdkWhatPlaneToBuy?!?!

Friends: (0)

Still haven't completely decided whether I should get the t-28 or the corsair.........but on a completely different note I'm just wondering, how hard would it be, in the future (after second or third or fourth plane), to actually build a simple little plane out of foam from scratch? y'all are talkin about it but it seems kinda confusing
Old 10-22-2012, 03:24 AM   #77
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Depending on what you're interested in, for the most part, it's pretty easy.

Pusher profile parkjets are a snap to make from Dollar Tree Foam. I've uilt several now. In fact, I think my F-22 is still my best flier, Arf's included. Lot's of free plans out there that you can download, print out, make templates , etc. There are more complex models that can test your building skills. 6mm depron and the new MPF foam are also good materials to work with. You can some cut out the parts for you fpor a small fee if cutting foam is not your thing.

If you stay with a flat wing, that will be an easy start. Check the Scratchbuilding thread here on WF. Many great builds. "Crash" and Chellie are two of the gurus. Nigel is a great builder also.

I've even had fun making rc planes from the $10 Air hog gliders you can buy from Wal-Mart and Target. This is called "bashing" and there's big thread over on RCG. Endless possibilities.

Give it a try ! It's rewarding to see something fly that you've actually built. You get to know everything about the aircraft.

-Hawk
Old 10-22-2012, 03:57 AM   #78
IdkWhatPlaneToBuy?!?!

So I was looking around at some stuff for building a parkjet and one said all u need is just over one sheet of 6mm depron, 2 servos, and a standard parkjet setup....can someone explain the terms please
Old 10-22-2012, 04:14 AM   #79
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)

Originally Posted by IdkWhatPlaneToBuy?!?! View Post
So I was looking around at some stuff for building a parkjet and one said all u need is just over one sheet of 6mm depron, 2 servos, and a standard parkjet setup....can someone explain the terms please
Hi
6mm depron is the foam you will need to construct the aircraft
Servos are what move the control surfaces
And a park jet setup would be the battery esc receiver servos and motor used on the aircraft.
With that said i think you should try a more basic high wing trainer type of plane for your first build then a park jet
Take care
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 10-22-2012, 04:16 AM   #80
IdkWhatPlaneToBuy?!?!

Okay cool...and thanks
Old 10-22-2012, 04:45 AM   #81
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

I would agree with Hank if this is only your second plane after a high wing trainer. All I can say is that my first F-22 made me a much better pilot. Learned by flying combat on Sundays. Not too fast(~ 40-50 mph) and it flew on rails. I would use Dollar Tree for the first build. It's a lot cheaper and stiffer than depron. All you need then is a Micro-Dan or Grayson V2 motor -2200kv , 30 amp esc, a 6 x 4 prop, two 9g Htx-900 servos , a couple of control horns , some wire and ez connectors , hot glue,velcro and a 11v 1500-2200 3S lipo. I'm still no ace by any means but I'll bet I have 100 flights on this bird. Now, she's my warm-up plane. Underhand toss into the wind away she goes...

Old 10-22-2012, 04:53 AM   #82
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
I would agree with Hank if this is only your second plane after a high wing trainer. All I can say is that my first F-22 made me a much better pilot. Learned by flying combat on Sundays. Not too fast(~ 40-50 mph) and it flew on rails. I would use Dollar Tree for the first build. It's a lot cheaper and stiffer than depron. All you need then is a Micro-Dan or Grayson V2 motor -2200kv , 30 amp esc, a 6 x 4 prop, two 9g Htx-900 servos , a couple of control horns , some wire and ez connectors , hot glue,velcro and a 11v 1500-2200 3S lipo. I'm still no ace by any means but I'll bet I have 100 flights on this bird. Now, she's my warm-up plane. Underhand toss into the wind away she goes...

Hi
Outstanding
Very nice love her colors
Take care my friend
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 10-22-2012, 04:57 AM   #83
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Talking

Hi
Try an Easy built models kit to get some building knowledge under your wings
They are a great way to get started with model building
http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/
Take care
Yours Hank

Old 10-22-2012, 06:27 AM   #84
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

As many of us old farts can testify ... we learnt our build skills from traditional models many moons ago.

But there are still lots of kits around that can teach most of the basic skills ... Guillows is a good example.
No need to produce a flying model from them ... they make great display models and the education from putting them together ... the cutting out of parts etc. - it all adds to knowledge and increased enjoyment of this great hobby.

My learning curve was on Kiel Kraft and Veron models in UK ... sadly all gone now and only odd examples come up on ebay at silly prices.

Depron ... a marvel for us .. but as another says - there are cheaoper alternatives ... check out the stiff foam thats used to line a floor before laminate is laid. Depron 6mm is about $6 a sheet where I am .. but similar underlay sheet is about 40 cents !

There is nothing to stop using the foam sheet in same way as a sheet of balsa .. or going the sheet slab way .. they both work. My F15 is basically slab sheets cut to shape and glued into a box with flat sheet wing etc. fairly simple and flies a treat. The F22 above is similar style.

My SE5 is a bit more complex in that it's laminated build-up and the wings have aerofoil form, but still not too difficult.

But first you have to learn to walk before you run. So simple and basic to learn with ... then move up the ladder to the next level. Here on Wattflyer - you have access to a wealth of info .... and great people ...

Oh - nearly forgot ............ don't be surprised if wife / girlfriend tthinks you're crazy once you start down this path !! My wife leaves me alone now in DIY, Supermarkets, Hardware stores ... I'm always looking at bits and bobs seeing if I can use them in my modelling !

Good luck ....

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 10-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #85
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Great advice Nigel !

I've used depron in models where I needed to form and sand to shape. Depron sands nicely. Foam board does not. Used depron on the F-15 and Sea Dart. The Dollar Tree foam board is a quick and dirty way to slam an F-22 together and get in the air in less than a day.

There's a thread here called Five Easy Pieces. Bob is a contributor here on WF: http://youtu.be/ZVYso62SY2Q Plans are on his website.

Does not get any simpler than this. You'll see in the video that his F-22 is a slow flyer. You can soup them up to your liking. What's fun is the high alpha action. Can land it right at your feet with hardly any practice. Your radio must support elevons.

-Hawk
Old 10-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #86
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 

Alltho i have never built a pusher jet iam sure they are fairly easy to build .I choose slower to fly foam planes or scale planes i like . I buy dollar tree foam and pleel the paper off of both sides or i get blue dow fanfold witch is a little heavyer than $ tree foam and build my planes with it. I use gorrila glue to build them with and a little carbon fiber strips or rods for strength .There are many simple planes to build and alot of trainer types and some others are great for second plane . Try one and you will be hooked . BTW i should have not said i never have built a pusher jet iam building a 007 james bond pusher jet now (BD-5 ) and iam almost done with it. Here are a bunch of foam plans plus their build threads to help put them together . joe http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851608
Old 10-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #87
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Thanks for sharing Joe. I keep forgetting where this thread resides.

Here's what I'm thinking about building: http://www.freemindmodels.com/IdroJeep/_Overview_.html

-Hawk
Old 10-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #88
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

I'm actually a late comer to foam build as many know on here ... but I applied my balsa knowledge to it and was real pleased that it worked.

One format that I am sad to have seen fade away is veneered foam .... in 80's and 90's this was a way of providing a quick and strong wing / top-deckings etc. Styrene foam hot-wire cut and then sheeted in Obechi or Balsa veneer to give surface strength / finish.

For a couple of years I had agreement with a Hobby Shop in UK producing veneered foam wings ... we even named the biz : "Wings and Things" ... hoping it would blossom into a full biz. Sadly that never happened and we stopped the biz as it was not even breaking even.

There are some models from my former RC years that I would love to have again ... but they have faded into history, with occasionally a dusty box coming out from some attic or garage ... but I never seem to catch it before its gone on ebay or whatever....

There are three models that I would love to have again ...

Phil Ramsay Mini Pitts
Rojair FW190
Cotswold Models Midget Mustang

Apology to OP for the drift of into nostalgia !

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 10-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #89
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Here's what I'm thinking about building: http://www.freemindmodels.com/IdroJeep/_Overview_.html

-Hawk
Thats looks like fun ,i have this one on my build list before spring . joe http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1696964
Old 10-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #90
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Joe - Schaweet ! After crashing my Sea Dart beyond repair this summer I do need another float plane
Old 10-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #91
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Joe - Schaweet ! After crashing my Sea Dart beyond repair this summer I do need another float plane
Ha Ha yea its going to replace my scratch built polaris i went through a tree top's with .lmao joe
Old 10-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #92
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Awards Showcase

Thumbs up

-Hawk
Hi
Outstanding
I LIKE IT
Thanks for the link
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

Old 12-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #93
IdkWhatPlaneToBuy?!?!

Default Thanks

Thanks for everything guys...I ended up getting the T-28 Trojan and DX6i......Plan to maiden with some guys from local RC club tomorrow or Thursday.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	165062  
Old 12-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #94
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Most all of those i have seen were great flyers ,good luck on the maiden . I was looking through some other forums and found plans for this . I have two other big builds before it but i like building and flying stuff like myself (weird) lmao joe

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0b246f0500629d4104be977d2ed9ca456a98fd29a30c0f5797eaed342a7c6ac45g.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	165063  
Old 12-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #95
Chucksolo69

Friends: (1)

How did the maiden go? Did you set the dual rates on her? Dual rates make this plane much easier to fly. Mine is set up with the DR on the ailerons and elevator at 60%. This makes her less twitchy.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #96
IdkWhatPlaneToBuy?!?!

First few flights went great....not sure about dual rates because the president of local rc club trimmed it for me and set up everything....I'm still buddy boxing, hope to solo soon
Old 01-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #97
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Sounds great glad to hear you got some stick time in and that you found a instructer . joe

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners

Tags
beginner , f4u corsair , p-51 mustang , second plane , t-28 trojan