Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-28-2012, 01:13 AM   #76
newjak
AMA Park Pilot Partner

Club: Central Delaware Parkflyers Association
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (13)

The first word in R/C is radio. Don't skimp on the radio. My advise is to get the most radio you can afford if you plan to stay in the hobby. It will grow with you as you advance through the hobby. The radio is THE MOST important of all purchases.

A.M.A Park Pilot Partner / Wattflyer Mentor
Old 12-28-2012, 01:52 AM   #77
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Friends: (3)

What radio do you recommend ?
Old 12-28-2012, 02:42 AM   #78
xuzme720
c'mere Monkey

Location: Just North of Houston.Heard of Dayton? I didn't think so...
Send a message via Yahoo to xuzme720
Friends: (8)

I think it's been said before but your best bet is the computer radio. 6 channels at a minimum, more if you can manage to fit one in the budget. A good place to look as well is online classifieds either here or at the "other" site, Ebay is also a good place to look. Just make sure you know what the asking price should be and don't overpay in a bidding war...done that a few times. I flew Futaba back in the day with my dad, I am now still flying the same radio I bought in 2004 or 2005, a JR XP662 (still rocking 72Mhz!). If I was shopping today, I like the features (and the prices!)on the Spektrum DX8. I've seen it new starting at $350 but if you shop hard, I'm sure you can find it either cheaper or with more goodies (I saw only the Tx for $350 with a quick Google search). Futaba seems to be a little higher, still. It was back in the day, too, but worth it for reliability.

Look online at the specs, see the different looks, but mainly once you have narrowed it down some, ask about specific transmitters you think you like and can fit in the budget. That way, we can probably give you more detail in our responses. We love to help but asking what kind of transmitter is kinda like asking what kind of car should I buy?
Have you been looking at any in particular?

Just call me X! (or Gary works, too.)
Another signature landing! Somebody help me find all the pieces...

Old 12-28-2012, 02:48 AM   #79
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

+ 1 on Radio advice. Frankly, they are all pretty good. Spectrum, JR, Futaba, Airtronics and even the Turnigy 9x. Pick your poison. The price range is $100 to $3,000. The very good 8+ channel tx's will run in the $300 -$500 range. You'll also want to look for a good charger with power supply and balance board. You'll be buying lipos and Rx's as you go forward.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

Hawk
Old 12-28-2012, 02:49 AM   #80
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

What about the dx6?
Old 12-28-2012, 02:55 AM   #81
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Let me put it like this.... whatis the best radio for around 100? then ill get the UM trojan or the UM Spit to go with it.
My bad for all the stupid questions. I just haveno LHS around me.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:24 AM   #82
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Look at the Turnigy/Flysky 9X. Not the same level of support as the main line tx's but a large user's community. I know guys that swear by this model. And it's cheap. The other route is to look on eBay or RC groups or RC universe for a slightly used tx. I bought a slightly used Futaba 6Ex as a back up with extra tx battery and an rx for $90.00 shipped. Excellent condition. So, explore your options.

Questions are fine. Never feel bad about asking questions. A plethora
of knowledge here(myself not included)

- Hawk
Old 12-28-2012, 03:46 AM   #83
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Can any radio be mated to any plane?
Old 12-28-2012, 04:02 AM   #84
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Yes, the Tx gets bound to the rx. The model settings are stored in the Tx. EG. trims, expo settings, dual rates, end point adjustments, etc,
.Most Tx's can store at least 6 models. Some can store several more.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:52 AM   #85
xuzme720
c'mere Monkey

Location: Just North of Houston.Heard of Dayton? I didn't think so...
Send a message via Yahoo to xuzme720

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Yes, the Tx gets bound to the rx. The model settings are stored in the Tx. EG. trims, expo settings, dual rates, end point adjustments, etc,
.Most Tx's can store at least 6 models. Some can store several more.
Which is why you want the computer radio. if you're ONLY ever going to be flying park flyers, you will probably be ok with the 6 channel. My current radio is a 6 and it's served me well even into dabbling in heli's, but I find myself limited in other ways by not having the extra channels, for say a full house hotliner or motor glider which I really want to eventually fly. Not enough channels to go full house so I haven't yet gone that way. Even if you get just a 6 channel computer radio, you'll be amazed at the possibilities.

Just call me X! (or Gary works, too.)
Another signature landing! Somebody help me find all the pieces...

Old 12-28-2012, 05:41 AM   #86
hoghead5150

Friends: (2)

Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
Can any radio be mated to any plane?

NO. basically the transmitter you buy binds to the receiver. what this means is if you buy a futaba transmitter it binds to futaba receivers, hitec transmitter to hitec receivers. this is a general statement, as there are some companies that have copies of receivers and such, but as a general rule this is how it goes.

now you said you were considering the UM t-28. this plane comes with the esc and receiver all in one unit. it is setup to work with spektrum transmitters. so if you were to buy a futaba transmitter it would NOT bind with the UM t-28. same goes for other brands of transmitters EXCEPT spektrum transmitters.

you can add spektrum modules to some transmitters to allow them to bind with spektrum receivers, but this is another discussion altogether.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #87
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

And that leads to another question. Why put all that money into a rwdio when it only works with one plane manufactx
Old 12-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #88
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Matt you are getting great advise and council - but you seem left wanting for some reason.

This hobby takes money. You like the Parkzone stuff - so Spektrum is really your best choice.

If you are in the hobby for the long run you want a good radio. Save up and buy one. The DX5 will not last and be a $50 expense you could have had down on a good radio system.

When you buy a Ford you can't use a Honda transmission if your Ford one breaks. RC is the same... Brands work with themselves and not others. It is as simple as that.

Not sure what you want to hear.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #89
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Missing something here. As Hogsheads mentioned, there are some planes that now come equipped with an RX. In the UMx case, it's Spektrum. Thus, your Tx needs to be Spektrum. I believe the new " Anylink" system provides a tx module whereby
Tx will work. I'm not impressed with this.

But in general, most ARF's or PNP's come without an RX. This is so the buyer can use his own existing Tx/Rx combo. I'm a Futaba guy and can load a futaba Fasst compatible rx in any plane and away I go. So, you pay $300-$400 for a good radio one time. Then, you're buying $ 10-$30 Rx's as needed. Genuine Futaba Rx's are Uber expensive but for the type
of craft I fly, the knock-off compatible's are fine.
Bottom line? Get a good computer radio you can grow with. It's a one time investment.

Hawk
Old 12-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #90
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Basically, i just want to get good at flying with a Horizon product so that I can move on to the other brands. For example, I am a big BF109 fan, so I would one day like to try a couple of those. My next plane and possibly 2, will likely be parkzones. But from there I want to branch out. The parkzone 109 for example, is very expensive in comparison and does not get good reviews. I think the problem is that I am getting too far ahead of myself.

I have been into military aircraft my entire life. I have been interested in R/C just as long. I have a nitro car and truck, but aircraft are my passion.

When i was young, my dad bought me a nitro powered easy fly 40. but never took the time out of his life to get me lessons or even build that plane, which I still have after all these years.

Last year I got.into the hobby I always wanted to when i got the Champ. I am not rich but my intention is to stay in the hobby as long as I can. I want to eventually blend the hobby with the actual aircraft I have been obsessed with for years.
plus i just flat out love to fly rc aircraft.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #91
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

You buy your OWN receiver most airplanes - except the BNF stuff from Horizon (like the champ and the Spitfire you have your heart set on).

So buy a Spektrum system. Get the best you can afford. If you only have $50 to spend I "highly" recommend you save so you can get at least a DX6i or MUCH better DX7s.

Yes you are a rookie who wants to fly cool war birds. But you need to learn to start slow! You are getting way ahead of yourself.

I don't think the UM Spit will serve you well, but you know what I recommend. I always feel it is better to save money, get decent stuff than have cheap crap that flies like cheap crap. The UM stuff is really good - but you are very limited by wind and other conditions. I feel the UM t-28 is MUCH better than the Spit - but I know you want a cool war bird.

What I hope you understand is there is time for the super cool stuff once you know how to fly!

Some of the cheaper planes I think are a pretty good deal ONCE you can fly a bit better and notice issues like improper installations, poor quality servos and such. I spend a lot of time fixing the cheapo ones up, then wonder if they really were all that cheap in the end run. Some brands are good others are NOT. Most of the HK cheap stuff - is VERY cheap and the components are questionable. When yo know how to fix that no biggie.

I have another GREAT option - but it is a bit more money and NOT a war bird. The ParkZone Archer will be awesome. And it is about $180 ready to fly with battery and charger. It is not released yet but should be soon. It will be a peach, as can be seen by the videos out now. I will have one of those too - even though I too am a war bird freak! Again, there is time for both in the hangar! Just like I will always have a T-28 in my hangar - they just fly that well.

Mike
Old 12-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #92
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

So essentially, if I get the Spektrum...I can buy a reciever for it and install it on most PNP aircraft? I think this is where my big misunderstanding is.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #93
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

So essentially, if I get the Spektrum...I can buy a reciever for it and install it on most PNP aircraft? I think this is where my big misunderstanding is.
Yes you can. And what's even better is that Spektrum finally listened to the market and put out a low-end $29.99 receiver so you don't have to buy the knockoff stuff for your cheaper models.

AMA #959089
Old 12-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #94
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
Yes you can. And what's even better is that Spektrum finally listened to the market and put out a low-end $29.99 receiver so you don't have to buy the knockoff stuff for your cheaper models.
Well in that case I could just get the Trojan PNP and get the radio at a later time when i get more money. Or just go with the Wildcat BNF since you get battery and charger with it.

The Archer actually looks like a really cool plane.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #95
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

What you get is up to you, but I think you get a better deal if you buy everything as a package.

BTW, I strongly recommend you get a T-28 Trojan (the big version, not the micro) if this is your first low-wing 4 channel plane. It's just a more forgiving plane than the WWII war birds but it's still capable of the same aerobatics and cool moves. And, trust me, it looks plenty cool in the air!

I've seen many Wildcats at my club and they fall into two categories:
1) The guys who have a few hours or more on a low-wing plane and absolutely fly the snot out of it and make it look awesome.
2) The guys who fly it as their first low wing plane and roll it into a knife-edge right after takeoff because they used too much aileron and crash it before they can compensate.

AMA #959089
Old 12-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #96
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 

If you buy a 'PNP' (Plug and play) model then you can put in any brand of receiver you like, it doesn't have to be Spektrum (PNP comes with no receiver fitted).

It's only the 'BNF' (Bind and fly) models where you must have a Spektrum (or Spektrum compatible) Tx because BNF models come with a Spektrum receiver pre-installed.

By cooincidence my flying buddy bought himself a PZ trojan for Christmas. He got the PNP version and put on a Spektrum compatible receiver (Hobbyking 'Orange' brand) which worked fine with his DX7 transmitter. I maidened it for him two days ago, two clicks of right trim and it was flying perfectly, it's a very easy model to fly. He's really pleased with it.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #97
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

+ 1 on the larger PZ T-28 ( Navy ) it was my 3rd plane and still love it. It's had more facelifts than Joan Rivers and I'm still modding her out. Kind of my experimental aircraft. Now converting her to a tail dragger. Flying her on 4S.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #98
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Sounds like Trojan PNP is my best option. Then i just need radio/reciever, battery and charger.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #99
pianodood

Friends: (0)

Definitely the T-28, but I've also had my hands on the Parkzone P-51 BL, and it's also pretty easy to fly. Stay away from things like the Corsair F4U.

Sorry, at work so had to be a quick reply! I'd recommend the P-51 though.. looks sharp and flies sharp!
Old 12-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #100
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 

Originally Posted by pianodood View Post
Stay away from things like the Corsair F4U.
My flying buddy also has the Corsair (non retract version) and it's also really easy to fly. The only problem with it is the landing gear mounting pulls out of the wings too easy, so we end up hand launching it.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics