Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-30-2012, 01:11 AM   #1
BrokenSpoke

Friends: (0)
Default Another 2nd plane question

Well, I have been flying my E-Flite Apprentice for close to a year now and have no issues with smooth flights, landing, loops, rolls, orientation, Immelman's, Split S's, been trying to fly inverted (working on that), etc., so now it's time for a second plane.

I see a lot of people recommend the ParkZone T-28 as a second plane, particulary for those unfamiliar with ailerons which is not my situation. My concern is that I would find the T-28 very similar to my Apprentice. Unlike many others, no one has a T-28, or has flown the T-28, at the field where I fly so I have to put it to you members. I would love one of the Parkzone warbirbs but not interested in a huge jump in ability (prefer not to auger in on the first flight). I would rather have a medium jump.

All said, what would you suggest?
Old 12-30-2012, 01:17 AM   #2
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

The T-28 is indeed a magic plane. It flies remarkably well. I fly many airplanes but it is simply one of the best flying RC airplanes I have ever flown. So I say get it - just because it will be an awesome flying plane for the hangar.

The Warbirds also fly very well too. Horizon spends a lot of energy and time seeing to that.

The Apprentice does not fly well inverted - so if you can do that much at all - you will be very comfortable with a more advanced plane. You will have to learn about conventional landing gear - that takes some skill and practice too. You should be pretty comfortable with about any of them but don't forget the T-28 is just magic.

Mike
Old 12-30-2012, 02:49 AM   #3
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

The Apprentice was also my first plane. The PZ Corsair was my second. It was the first version. I installed my own retracts, and it's still going strong after ~4 years. Unfortunately, the new version has a couple of issues, but if you fix those, reports are it's also a great flyer. I also have a 1400mm FMS P-51 which I find to be a very nice flyer. Banana Hobbies sells them now.... I don't find it difficult to fly, and if you're that comfortable with the Apprentice, I think it would be no problem for you, except you have to learn conventional tail dragger handling. Good luck!
Old 12-30-2012, 03:05 AM   #4
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

As rcers said, there's no way you can go wrong with a ParkZone T28. You'll love it. Not a doubt in my mind.

However, you may want to take a minute to think where you want to go with your flying. Do you want to keep sport flying? You want to get into warbirds? Or does aerobatics and 3D flying attract you?

If you like and master the basic aerobatic moves, a 3D foamie (such as a TwistedHobbys Crack Yak or Extra Slick) is a fun, durable and relatively cheap way to keep working on your moves and learning new ones.

The cool thing is that the market is absolutely flooded with possible seconds planes, so you can literally take your hobby in any direction you want!

AMA #959089
Old 12-30-2012, 04:02 AM   #5
Brick
small Member

the PZ T-28 is indeed awesome. but if you want to get a tad more edgy...ParkZone also makes a nice P-51 !! only bad thing...it's a belly lander, unless you opt to put landing gears on it

nothing to it, but to do it !
Old 12-30-2012, 04:36 AM   #6
BrokenSpoke

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
However, you may want to take a minute to think where you want to go with your flying. Do you want to keep sport flying? You want to get into warbirds? Or does aerobatics and 3D flying attract you?
Great question and one I flip flop on daily. I love the look of warbirds and I enjoy the limited acrobatics I can do with the Apprentice. I spend a lot of time on RealFlight practicing acrobatics. 3D, interestingly enough, does not interest me.

I may just go with the PZ T-28 as a stepping stone and see where it leads. Quite a few of the guys at the field still dig out their old trainers so I think the Apprentice will also be with me for quite some time.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
DCDetector

View DCDetector's Gallery25
Friends: (1)

The T-28 is a great low wing trainer. Personally I feel the Apprentice and the T-28 are a lot a like. Both are very stable easy to fly. The T-28 is slightly more maneuverable and responsive than the Apprentice, but still very predictable. I found I wanted something with a little more of a challenge and style. I got a ART-Tech P51D Mustang and really liked it. Quite a change from my easy fly birds although it was a great flier.

I also tried some ultra micros the UMX Sbach 342, 3D Beast and a Ares Trainer 100. The idea of flying at the local park is what attracted me to these small birds. The reality was I found them harder to fly than all my others bigger planes, and they didn't handle wind well. Not to mention it seems like If I even look at them wrong they break. But, I did find I really liked the way the UMX Sbach performed. I could choose to fly it very conservatively or go nuts with rolls and stuff. The only problem was being small made it easy for me to lose orientation and crash. I felt If I had a large sized Sbach I'd have the best of both worlds so I bought a MX2.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

Originally Posted by BrokenSpoke View Post
Great question and one I flip flop on daily. I love the look of warbirds and I enjoy the limited acrobatics I can do with the Apprentice. I spend a lot of time on RealFlight practicing acrobatics. 3D, interestingly enough, does not interest me.

I may just go with the PZ T-28 as a stepping stone and see where it leads. Quite a few of the guys at the field still dig out their old trainers so I think the Apprentice will also be with me for quite some time.
Yeah, as I said, you can't go wrong with that. That's how I got started too. And I also thought 3D didn't interest me. Well... Now I have 8 3D models in my garage and my first quarter scale 3D plane should be arriving any day. So watch out! The bug may bite you when you least expect it!

Good look with your T28! Let us know how it works out!

AMA #959089
Old 12-30-2012, 11:56 PM   #9
BrokenSpoke

Well, talk about a change of plans! For Christmas, though she just gave it to me today due to a delay in getting it ordered, she got me a short kit for a .40 size stik. She knew I liked to build planes from kits, I have a few gliders in the house, but I did not know anything about short kits. She had talked to some guys at the field about a second plane and they had all recommender to her that she get me a Stik short kit from LazerWorks. I had no idea she had ordered anything let alone I was getting a late Christmas present.

So, it looks like I'm building my next plane and I'll be converting it to electric. Thanks again for all of the suggestions!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics