Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
hapbob

Friends: (0)
Default Chanp Ok Now Watt

Hello
Newbee here and this question has been asked 1000 times but looking for up to date advice...
First plane Champ did some Clearview for a week then solo with the champ...Im ok with it
A few disasters...flew away looked for hour in Very tall grass..Found it
In several pine trees rescued each time with golf ball retriever...
But all in all I feel Like i can handle it...
Next plane and want to stay with park flyer...I have large back yard and fly there..
Also I need a radio now?
The T-28 im sure I'm not ready for extra channel...
Looking for a bit heavier with slow speeds to keep working on flying skills.

So What Plane ( I can build ...a Bit)
and what radio for a newbee like me..
Anybody like the Pelican 36"
THANKS FOR THE EXPERT ADVICE IN ADVANCE
Hap
Old 07-31-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

Hi!

Your question is a little like "I got my drivers license, what car should I get?". There's just so many choices that fits different budgets and different styles of flying.

However, a route that many of us have taken is the T28 route. It's probably one of the best flying planes there is. I wouldn't be so worried about the extra channel. If you can handle it in the simulator and you have the basic skills of flying real physical planes, you'll probably be OK. The only thing to keep in mind is that a T28 is a bit faster than your Champ.

As for transmitters, you can get the RTF version of the T28, but I actually wouldn't recommend it. The reason is that the DX5e you get with the kit is a bit too simplistic. I would get a DX6i instead. You'll be surprised how addicted you get to the computer radio functions, such as variable dual rates, expo, model memory and mixes. As a lot of people will tell you, your transmitter is your most important investment and a DX6i will last you for years.

Then again, you could take a completely different route and go with a Radian or Radian Pro if you're more into the sailplane thing. And there are lots of other vendors than ParkZone, but that's what I started with and the quality is legendary.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing!

AMA #959089
Old 07-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
hapbob

Default OK

OK
Thanks for that
The Radio will be the Dx6i
Can I disable the ailerons and fly the T28 with 3 channels to get a bit more practice?

I am afraid of the Extra Flaps!
Hap
Old 07-31-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 

Originally Posted by hapbob View Post
OK
Thanks for that
The Radio will be the Dx6i
Can I disable the ailerons and fly the T28 with 3 channels to get a bit more practice?

I am afraid of the Extra Flaps!
Hap
In theory you could plug the rudder into the aileron channel, but you really don't want to do that! Really! DON'T! It would make the plane harder to fly. Ailerons may seem intimidating to a lot of beginners, but with a dihedral wing like that of the T28, it's really not that big a deal. You move the stick sideways, the plane banks, you give some up elevator and the plane turns. Just like with rudder only. They hard part is when you start mixing in rudder to make your turns look pretty, but you don't really need to do that to make the plane fly. In reality, you'll fly it like a three channel plane.

I've only flown a Radian Pro once, but I found it very easy to fly. The flaps are pretty much just your brake as you come on for landing. Then there's a lot of other fancy things you can do, such as spoilerons, reflex and crow, but you don't need that to keep the plane flying.

The simulator is your friend. Fly some of the 4-channel models in ClearView and make sure you get comfortable with them and I'm pretty sure you won't have a problem with the T28.

But of course, the best way there is to learn is to find a club in your area and ask some of the the experienced pilots to help you out.

AMA #959089
Old 08-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
ncsky

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
In theory you could plug the rudder into the aileron channel, but you really don't want to do that! Really! DON'T! It would make the plane harder to fly. Ailerons may seem intimidating to a lot of beginners, but with a dihedral wing like that of the T28, it's really not that big a deal. You move the stick sideways, the plane banks, you give some up elevator and the plane turns. Just like with rudder only. They hard part is when you start mixing in rudder to make your turns look pretty, but you don't really need to do that to make the plane fly. In reality, you'll fly it like a three channel plane.

I've only flown a Radian Pro once, but I found it very easy to fly. The flaps are pretty much just your brake as you come on for landing. Then there's a lot of other fancy things you can do, such as spoilerons, reflex and crow, but you don't need that to keep the plane flying.

The simulator is your friend. Fly some of the 4-channel models in ClearView and make sure you get comfortable with them and I'm pretty sure you won't have a problem with the T28.

But of course, the best way there is to learn is to find a club in your area and ask some of the the experienced pilots to help you out.

I would agree with all the NJSwede has said. I started with a champ, then to super cub (still 3 channel) and now to T-28 (parkzone) this has worked well for me, still a few mishaps but all easy planes to fix. I also went with DX6i and that has been a good choice. You definitely want to go with a computer radio if you plan on staying in hobby. I would even go so far as to say if your budget allows start with DX7S or DX8 since they have more memory etc.. but either way all good choices. Joining a club, or at least getting with a group of other flyers (if no club around) can really help you flying, and it is also fun socially to hang out with other people and see their planes.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:39 AM   #6
Aaeolien

Yah you can't go wrong with a t-28. I learned on a UM t-28 and it's pretty beat up now but it still flies so well.

Chris

Admitted Crack Pitts Addict
Old 08-02-2012, 04:50 AM   #7
Flying Fiz

I agree that the T-28 is a great recommendation.

Another that I can recommend is the Eflite UMX Carbon Cub SS.

It is like an UMicro for crash ability but it is a fair bit bigger with a wingspan of 24 inches (610mm), it has Ail, El & Rud plus flaps if you want to use them. It can handle a lot more breeze than the other micro's (the Champ can't handle a small zepher).

But best for a beginner is the A3SX (3 axis gyro thingy) which it has , which keeps it tracking straight and true and level even in a breeze. It is a HUGE help to a new pilot. Your aileron turns stay where they should, it makes u look like a pro! And gives you a heap of confidence. It is a BNF compatible with the DX6i.

I've only been flying a month. I had about 10 flights with the Champ (first plane) then a full day with the Carbon Cub, and now I can fly anything. It was a great learning experience and a huge help. My next plane was the UM Mig also with the A3SX and it has been a blast, but I've crashed it so many times it's getting near ungluable togetherable. I've since moved on to the F4F Wildcat last weekend which was great, but too fast for a second plane.

I do need to confess that I was a compentent sports flyer of big CP heli's so that did help with the learning curve, but it still doesnt detract from my suggestions.

Good luck which ever way you go
Old 08-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

The T28 is awesome as flew, but my prize easy to fly for a low wing is the Flyzone Corvalis, lights super fun dusk and night flying, bit it's the amazing landing that I've continued to enjoy, Sunday flyer at its best at least for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kueVs...e_gdata_player
Old 08-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Club: www.rmvc-cumulus.nl

Originally Posted by hapbob
... newbie ...
E-flight 101 by RCG member Ken Myers, will at least save you a ruined LiPo (or worse!), a burnt motor and a fried ESC:
http://www.theampeer.org/framesefo.html
-> Electric Power Basics
and this e-book
-> Everything youw wanted to know about e-flight (Ed Anderson)

Old 09-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #10
hapbob

OK I was good enough on the Champ....Could control it well and put it where I wanted...
So Thought I wanted a bigger plane that could handle a bit of wind.
Saw Mini Bipe Plane on utube that looked easy to fly and it had some building with it.

Its a foam bi-plane design...I flew it first flight for 1-2 mins then crash..It repairs easliy but I can't get it up and flying..
Hard crashes..I cant seen to get it to balance on a home made balance jig I built...two pencils in a piece of wood..Utube also...

I have crashed so hard now its in need of alot of repair I will wait for winter when I have alot of time..
So Im in a slump and need a plane that is more than champ that will be easier to fly...I bought the DX6i radio....

A kind of slow easy to fly Ideas?
Old 09-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #11
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 

Sorry about the crash. It's part of the hobby, unfortunately.

If you want something bigger, there's the HobbyZone SuperCub. It basically flies like a bigger HZ Champ. Since you have a DX6i, you should get the BNF (Bind and fly) version and you're good to go! Many of us here have learned on a Super Cub, so it's a fairly safe bet.

You could also get something like an EasyStar, Bixler or HawkSky. They are all very sturdy models that can take a lot of abuse and are easy to fly for a beginner. They don't come BNF, so you'd have to buy the "receiver ready" and pop in your own receiver.

AMA #959089
Old 12-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #12
boodaghost

Friends: (1)

A bit late here, but why not??? I'd recommend the PZ Trojan/T28. It was the first plane that I had any success with 4 years ago. Yea, I crashed it but it was always worth the rebuild. It goes with me everytime I fly as a good warm up plane. If in warming up I happen to crash low in the trees at my flying field. I recover the parts and go home for the rebuild(Happened last time I flew it due to my rust). Don't know what you settled on but this definately needs to be in the hangar.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners