Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-30-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
boodaghost

Friends: (1)
Default New Carbon Cub Flap Dysfunction

Bound and set up a new Eflite Carbon Cub to my DX-7 tonight. Everything except the flaps was functional. The manual states that the flaps default to channel 5 which is the GEAR channel (don't like this because it's all or none). Anyway, the flaps don't do jack..... I played around with the settings and got nothing. I've never had an issue like this one and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Could I have bound the plane with the gear switch in the wrong position??? Does something need to be reset in the programming of the DX-7??? Very confused by this one.......
Old 12-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

Binding the receiver to the transmitter, is not affected by the gear switch.
I don't have a DX-7, but does it have a monitor screen, that will show you if the transmitted signal for your flap channel, is really changing?

You DX-7 has no variable aux channels, so I think you should be able program it to use the 3 position flap switch. Then you could have; no flaps, take off setting, and full down landing setting.

I hope someone with a DX-7 can guide you.

But I have to admit something sounds wrong. If you bought it at a local hobby shop take it back to them. Or call Horizon Hobby Product support, they are very friendly and can guide you through a full check out. Then you will know for certain.

Good luck, that is a good flying plane, it really looks good towing the glider up. several of my friends do that.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 

Now that Wildflyer mentions it, I think the default for flaps settings in Spektrum tx's have no movement. I think it's defaulted to servo center. You said you checked the settings for this, though?

But then you mentioned ch5 is the gear channel? Have you tried all the channels on your tx? Also, you checked the servo connectors on the rx? Maybe they didn't plug them in all the way or something at the factory.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:58 AM   #4
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA

My friends carbon cub on a DX-7, operates the flaps, all or nothing with the landing gear switch.

He is trying to figure out how to program the flap 3p switch to mix to the landing gear channel, it should work but I don't have a DX-7 to play with.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:52 AM   #5
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 

Not that it will help me to help you figure this out, but maybe someone else: Is your tx really a Dx-7, or is it a Dx-7s? Don't know if it would matter.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:00 AM   #6
Stevephoon

View Stevephoon's Gallery40
Club: United Flying Organization

It also depends on the RX you are using...

But, on one of my planes I used a couple of mixes on my DX7 TX to do just what you are talking about. The Flap servos are in the RX Gear out. On the TX I mixed the flap sw to the gear and I mixed the gear sw to an unused output (Aux2?). This way the 3 position flap sw was used to move the flaps and the gear sw on the TX did nothing.

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:41 AM   #7
boodaghost

I've played around with this some more and am still getting nothing. The manual states that it is the GEAR switch that operates the flaps. Looking at the radio's (DX-7) display showing each channels movement, the gear switch does appear to be working. Had the flaps worked, my plan was to program the radio to use the three place flap switch to operate them.

I called the HS that sold it and was told to bring it back and they would replace as they had not seen this issue. I really don't want to crack it open in a search for loose wiring until they've made a determination as to what to do with it.
Appreciate all of the recommendations and I'll post the end result.
Thanks.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:10 AM   #8
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Because the display shows the flap channel is working, Defiantly take it back to the HS. Somehow the system is not working.

Since it uses a receiver similar to the 6400's, there is no choice there.

If you break it open you are stuck, the HS would no longer honor a warranty.

There is very little chance you will find a broken wire, and if you did, it would require soldering equipment made for subminiature work, that is uncommon. I don't think you would find the flap servo simply not plugged in.

You are FAR better off to take it back to the shop. When you do, bring your DX-7 and maybe they can show you how to program it, to do what you want.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:15 AM   #9
boodaghost

Problem solved. I carried it and my TX back to the HS where it was bought and they checked it out. They didn't have any luck either. We bound a replacement to the radio and everything worked so it was, in fact, a problem with the plane.

Thanks again, for all of the input.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes

Tags
carbon cub , flap settings dx7 , flaps