Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #26
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Three channels for flaperons And why would you have flaperons AND elevons on a small F-35?
Good question. I would like to understand that myself.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 12-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #27
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Three channels for flaperons And why would you have flaperons AND elevons on a small F-35?
Just had to experiment. The model originally was set up to have one servo for each side of the plane. Each servo had a pushrod that went fwd to the aileron and back to the elevon. (I guess at this point it's really called a stabilator? Full flying horizontal tail surfaces. But in the tx, they are set up as elevons.) So the ail & stabilator would move the same direction. I wanted to add flaps just to try. So now the stabs are set up as elevon, and i use separate channels for ailerons so they can act as flaps. Also, hearing how twitchy this model could be with those big moving stabs, I set up the radio so the ailerons (on the wing) could be turned off. Flies fine with them on or off, it turns out. At high rates with the ailerons on, it turns into a blur when you do full deflection rolls! Also, turns out that with the CG so far fwd compared to the full-size F-35, the ailerons when moved in sync work like elevators instead of flaps. So I had to make them go up for slow, high AOA flight. When they went down together they just pushed the nose down. Unfortunately, without working rudders, she falls off one way or the other. I'll have to see what I can do. Instead of fiddling with the dual rudders, I was toying with the idea of a rudder in the exhaust. Fun little plane!
Old 12-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #28
combateib1
combateib1

Send a message via Skype™ to combateib1
Friends: (0)
Default shop wisely

I will definitely shop wisely. I will probably bite the bullet and head into town to the hobby shop.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #29
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 

Oh, back to my 7 channel foamy edf, I forgot in regard to 3ch for flaperons: Of course, it's only 2 servos, each plugged into their own channel, but uses the flap switch mixed in. So I counted that as a channel. This thing used a lot of mixes! Wasn't possible as far as I could tell on the 6i.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #30
combateib1
combateib1

Default edf

Really wanting an A10 and an F14 edf down the road, as well as a C130, so the DX8 is what my sights are on... Thanks guys...
Ransom out.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #31
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Cool

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Oh, back to my 7 channel foamy edf, I forgot in regard to 3ch for flaperons: Of course, it's only 2 servos, each plugged into their own channel, but uses the flap switch mixed in. So I counted that as a channel. This thing used a lot of mixes! Wasn't possible as far as I could tell on the 6i.
Yes it can become confusing between channels and mixes and inputs and switches. On the more flexible radios everything is assignable. You can even change what goes on the sticks. We talk about the throttle stick but in fact throttle can be anywhere. That stick could be flaps, spoilers, landing gear or ... who knows. And if you change stick modes, stuff moves around auto-magically.

The way I think of it is channels = maximum number of slots I can address on the receiver. An 8 channel radio can address up to 8 slots on the receiver.

The sticks, switches, dials, sliders, etc. talk to the software/the mixers. So flapperons takes two channels on the receiver but accepts inputs from the aileron mixer and the flap mixer.

Elevons would the same. Two channels accepting input from the aileron and the elevator mixers.

V-Tail takes input from elevator and rudder mixers.

Crow is a mix that sends input to the flap, aileron and elevator mixers which could involve 3, 4 or 5 channels.

So much fun!

To do basic stuff you don't need to understand all this but when you start to get into advanced features, flight conditions, etc., it helps to think of things in this way.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 12-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #32
combateib1
combateib1

Default AEAJR

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
Yes it can become confusing between channels and mixes and inputs and switches. On the more flexible radios everything is assignable. You can even change what goes on the sticks. We talk about the throttle stick but in fact throttle can be anywhere. That stick could be flaps, spoilers, landing gear or ... who knows. And if you change stick modes, stuff moves around auto-magically.

The way I think of it is channels = maximum number of slots I can address on the receiver. An 8 channel radio can address up to 8 slots on the receiver.

The sticks, switches, dials, sliders, etc. talk to the software/the mixers. So flapperons takes two channels on the receiver but accepts inputs from the aileron mixer and the flap mixer.

Elevons would the same. Two channels accepting input from the aileron and the elevator mixers.

V-Tail takes input from elevator and rudder mixers.

Crow is a mix that sends input to the flap, aileron and elevator mixers which could involve 3, 4 or 5 channels.

So much fun!

To do basic stuff you don't need to understand all this but when you start to get into advanced features, flight conditions, etc., it helps to think of things in this way.
It's all a bit foreign right now, but I'm learning as I go along. I'm getting the DX8 ASAP, so ill be flying like a champ soon. Practice practice practice... I cant wait to learn 3D flight, and become a better pilot. I'm finally on a position now where I can pursue my RC dreams.
Ransom out.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:53 AM   #33
MX5Seeker
Glad to be here...

Club: Georgia Mountain RC Club and Bristol Field

I have a DX8 and love it. But I will suggest that you try to get your hands around two or three different ones. You may find that some with great features just don't "feel" right. Don't be afraid to pass by one if you don't like the feel.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #34
combateib1
combateib1

Default Mx5seeker

Thanks bud, I've been going to my hobby shop, and researching online, and I think the DX8 is the TX for me. Thank you for the input.
Ransom out.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #35
boodaghost

Friends: (1)

Howabout an option that, while I've only skimmed over this thread, have not seen. I propose this because I can grasp the need not to 'overkill' your TX needs. Buy a USED DX-7. I bought a new one when they came out a few years ago and recently bought another used. Until the RXs become incompatable with them (??? anyone), you can expend more money on planes and less on a radio that can offer pretty much the same features as far as flying goes. I own 45 planes and am kept with 2 DX-7s and 1 DX-6i. I bought my second DX7 a year ago for $150 and the DX6i for $125. Merely a suggestion.............
Old 12-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #36
combateib1
combateib1

Default boodaghost

Thanks, I'm in the market for a DX8, that should last me a long time, while fulfilling all my needs, 45 planes.... One day... One day...
Old 12-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #37
xuzme720
c'mere Monkey

Location: Just North of Houston.Heard of Dayton? I didn't think so...
Send a message via Yahoo to xuzme720

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Get the very best comp radio that you can afford, and give it to me Ok just kidding on giving it to me, just get the best radio you can Afford like a JR or Spektrum, you will only need to buy the radio transmitter once

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ode-2-SPM18800

DX18QQ Quique Special Edition w/AR12120, X-Plus 8, Mode 2

by Spektrum (SPM18800

It's on sale, too. Wish I has the cash!!

Just call me X! (or Gary works, too.)
Another signature landing! Somebody help me find all the pieces...

Old 12-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #38
combateib1
combateib1

Default wish i had the cash...

Meeeeee Tooooooooo!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 06:46 AM   #39
boodaghost

Hey........ Don't get me wrong. If I could cut the heads of of my three radios and make enough to buy a DX-8, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Actually, I know that I could, but that would probably require shipping them to some far away land and I hate to ship stuff
Old 12-31-2012, 06:53 AM   #40
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Originally Posted by boodaghost View Post
Hey........ Don't get me wrong. If I could cut the heads of of my three radios and make enough to buy a DX-8, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Actually, I know that I could, but that would probably require shipping them to some far away land and I hate to ship stuff
You never know what 3 radios are they? Place it on the for sale thread might be surprised

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:08 AM   #41
boodaghost

I might do that. That's a pretty good idea..... I have 2 DX-7s and one DX-6i. I bought one of the 7's new, one off of Ebay, and the DX-6i came from a friend who got out of the hobby. My only reservation is that, while I'd love a new radio, I hate having to go in and program 40 plus planes as well as learning a whole new radio. Obviously, I'm suffering from low T
Old 12-31-2012, 07:56 AM   #42
CHSNative

Club: Flying Aces Pilots Association & AMA

I have the DX7s and love it so far. I am still learning the "bells and whistles" and have been very pleased with the performance.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners