Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-03-2009, 07:25 PM   #1
mrsand

Friends: (0)
Default Vapor Prop replacement

I have managed to pop off half the vapor propeller.

I tryed to remove the nose cone and remaining prop but its on tight or I'm not doing it right..I'm afraid to put to much pressure on it..whats the right way to remove it..I assume its a friction fit!

MrSand
Old 04-03-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

First pull the white nut from the back of the shaft by unscrewing it. Righty tighty--lefty loosy. Then you can slide out the prop shaft with gear and prop. Be very careful not to lose the washer between the bearing and the white nut! Now hold the gear and unscrew the prop from the shaft by turning it to the left looking at the front of the propeller.

Now the fun part. If you're reading any instructions, discard them. NOT MY INSTRUCTIONS!!! Screw the new propeller on the shaft until you can't see the threads and the screw bottoms out. Don't overtighten, just go until it stops.

Now reinsert the shaft into the bearing, slide the washer on the back and screw the white nut back on. Only go until there is a couple thousandths of play back and forth, don't try to tighten it to take the play totally out or you'll have too much friction and your battery won't last worth a crap. That's technical language not all will understand, but don't worry about it.

FINALLY (this is where we depart from instructions) without glue, place the spinner on the prop. It will fit with enough friction that you can hook up your battery and turn the motor over at low speed to see if you're perfectly centered. If not tweak and repeat testing. When you're ready a drop of thin CA on a toothpick applied to each side of the spinner where it meets the prop will wick the glue into the joint. Remove excess with the corner of a piece of paper towel if necessary. Don't use kicker because that could ruin your whole day on the rubber and plastic. It will cure in a couple of minutes and go fly!
Old 04-03-2009, 09:04 PM   #3
fotowiz

Good advise - I have also been able to replace it with the shaft still installed by holding the shaft stationary with small needle nose pliers. I also put a VERY SMALL drop of thin CA in the mounting hole in the back of the prop before screwing it back onto the shaft.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:05 PM   #4
pd1
Still Learning

View pd1's Gallery69
Club: Cape Ann RC Model Club
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (53)

The above post is correct, but I found a slightly easier way.

Hold the plane in your left hand. Grasp the gear with your two fingers and just rotate the prop. Like you are winding a rubber band powered model but reverse direction..

I believe it turns counter clockwise to remove and clockwise to reinstall.
Robbins method to remember works better than mine.
If the blade doesn't seem to be getting loose try the other way.

Be careful don't force anything.
Use Robbins method to put the spinner on, that works good too.

Paul
Old 04-05-2009, 11:21 PM   #5
mrsand

Default Vapor Propeller

Thanks to the wattfriends who gave me the advice to properly remove the prop. I just grabbed the white gear and spun it off c-clockwise. So simple...fortunately I don't think I damaged anything by trying to pull it free from the shaft. Now I await a newly ordered set of props. This little plane was fun to fly..and I will again.

MrSand
Old 04-06-2009, 12:05 AM   #6
MadMonkey
OOGA BOOGA

Club: 114th RC Aerosquadron
Send a message via AIM to MadMonkey Send a message via MSN to MadMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to MadMonkey
Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
The above post is correct, but I found a slightly easier way.

Hold the plane in your left hand. Grasp the gear with your two fingers and just rotate the prop. Like you are winding a rubber band powered model but reverse direction..

I believe it turns counter clockwise to remove and clockwise to reinstall.
Robbins method to remember works better than mine.
If the blade doesn't seem to be getting loose try the other way.

Be careful don't force anything.
Use Robbins method to put the spinner on, that works good too.

Paul
That's how I did mine, but I don't remember if it was CW or CCW. The first method seems like a PITA!!
Old 04-06-2009, 02:02 AM   #7
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Not at all. I hate twisting on the whole airplane and risking damage when by taking the gear system apart I can twist on the shaft in isolation from the pretty delicate airframe.

Taking the white nut off the back and sliding the shaft assembly out of the bearing is a long ways from a difficult job! You should do it once in awhile anyway to check for overtightened nut, hidden hair or vegetable matter wound around the shaft (I found some when I did it), and just to lubricate the bearing. That's all good to do even if you're not replacing the prop.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:15 PM   #8
pilotsince6
relax and fly

Club: lone wolf

Also if you lose the white nut. You can simply put a drop of ca glue on the shaft behind the motor,and hit it with accelerator and problem solved. Saves time from waiting on a nut,when you dont have a lhs closer tha 70 miles away as i do!
Old 12-31-2012, 03:37 AM   #9
bkvanbek

My prop came off, the shaft must be broken as I don't have any threads and looks like metal might be in the prop still. Does that sound right?
Old 12-31-2012, 01:03 PM   #10
pd1
Still Learning

View pd1's Gallery69
Club: Cape Ann RC Model Club
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot  WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (53)

Originally Posted by bkvanbek View Post
My prop came off, the shaft must be broken as I don't have any threads and looks like metal might be in the prop still. Does that sound right?
Sounds like a broken shaft alright.
Replacement shafts are readily available. You might need a new prop too.

The metal shaft with threads can sometimes be removed from the prop by sanding or filing the prop hub to expose the shaft end, then using pliers(good pliers) to spin the broken piece out.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes