Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Micro Sized Electric Helicopters Discuss micro and mini sized electric rc helis in here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
bkvanbek

Friends: (0)
Default MSR X leans to the right

Is it normal for a heli like this to lean to the right. I am just learning and it makes it tough, because when I use the rudder it will move in the direction it was leaning before I added rudder.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Yes, it's normal. The main rotor has to 'lean' a little to the right in order to offset the sideways thrust from the tail rotor. If it didn't lean then the tail rotor would push the heli to the left.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
jabu32
Future Expert

Friends: (0)

Normal on these kind of helis.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:45 AM   #4
hangingon

Club: no clubs
Friends: (4)

I see the answer about leaning but none for the rudder so far. I'll try and help. I don't know what you know & don't know so I have some ?'s. If the tail of the heli is facing you is the heli's nose spinning to the left & the tail is going right or is the heli's tail still facing you and the heil is moving sideways to the right? If I understand what your saying with no rudder stick movement the tail turns to the right. You do know if you move the rudder stick to the left the nose goes left & the tail goes right & right rudder nose goes right & tail goes left. You fly by watching the nose not the tail.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #5
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Old 04-24-2013, 06:25 AM   #6
hangingon

Help! xmech2k don't leave me here alone. I think once theirs a clear understanding of what the heli is doing it will help. Sounds like a spin or tail drift to the right. My Mini Titan started spinning on me so I had to replace my gyro so I improved gyro & servos. I've not messed with the msr x but the mini titan, blade cx2 & mcx I have.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Sorry Hangingon, your first post kind of gave me a headache!

What's the rudder question you're asking? Are you referring to the OP's first post comment: "because when I use the rudder it will move in the direction it was leaning before I added rudder."? I was under the impression his biggest concern was the lean of the main rotor. Like much of what I know about aerodynamics, I learned from (possibly?) way too much reading about stuff. So here's my book learned take on the matter. Heli's are really complicated things, with a lot of complicated forces all happening at once, which all have to be taken into account either in things designed into it, or by the pilot.

Like Jetplaneflyer already mentioned, a side effect of the tail rotor's thrust is it will push the whole heli sideways as well as countering the main rotor's torque, hence the main rotor leaning against the tail rotor's thrust in a hover. One thing I read was it was common for heli pilots to respond to another's 'How's it?' with 'Left skid low', I guess implying all's normal as in a normal hover for a heli that leans left in hover. (I think US heli's rotors go one direction, and European another, I don't know off-hand. Why can't we all just get along?)

So imagine if you give right or left yaw input, which increases or decreases the tail rotor thrust, then some cyclic left or right to correct for it would be necessary. Although a little heli like the MSR kind of wanders about some anyway due to control slop, any little wind draft, etc., so I think it would hard to really experience that with it.

So I think only your Mini Titan is a standard heli, with one main and one tail rotor? The rest are with 2 counter-rotating rotors? So of course only the Mini Titan would experience this. One of the advantages of counter-rotating main rotors.

Also, i think the OP is done with this already, since he hasn't posted back, and maybe he was inexperienced and the heli really wasn't doing anything strange, just the inexperience coming through? Maybe I've been ranting for nothing?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
hangingon

Sorry I gave you a headache. I took it the op was asking about the right lean but also his rudder. With his post I'm just learning I take that as he is inexperienced and looking for help. I as well had some of the same type of ?'s when I got my Mini Titan. I was told to start with a coax heli and then step up to the 450 size. The coax as you know sets level in the air so once I got the MT it was leaning and I thought their was something wrong with the heli till I ask and got an answer I thougt it was going to set level like my cx2 and as cp heli's do on the sims. If the op was having trouble with the tail I was going to try and help. I know there are members who know much more than me and can be more helpful. I thought since you were on this post you might be more helpful than me or have some other input for the op. I was asking if the helis tail was turning right or the helis tail was holding steady and the heli was drifting to the right which could be just a matter of trim adjustments on his tx and being new he may not know how to trim out the heli. I don't have the blade but I do have a micro fp heli and mine is very stable and it doesn't drift to the right even though it leans to the right and by what I got out of the post his heli is going to the right but he says about rudder and not aileron. With that said I wasn't sure if he understood the difference between the tail spinning or the heli was moving to the right which would be aileron so if he was trying to fly a heli that was not trimmed out I would know what trim on the tx to tell him to try and adjust that may help make his heli more stable. That was the reason for the ? to him and I may have not asked the info the same as you or anybody else would have. Even though this is an older post and he may never look at it again or even gave up on flying someone else may find it useful. I did not notice this was an older post till today. So if you want to rant thats ok with me I was just trying to help another rc enthusiast and thouhgt you may be of some help instead of getting a headache over what I posted and let it cause you to rant. Sorry to say we should be here to help not rant having a fourm such as this is where most of us find the answers to our heli or plane problems as we no longer have as many LHS anymore to turn to for help plus it's a place to share our rc experiences & accomplishments with others and especially the ones who helped you on this fourm get to where your at by the advice they shared.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:35 AM   #9
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Hey Hangingon, I didn't mean I was ranting in a bad way. i got the flying bug so bad I have to restrain myself from going on sometimes, and thought I may have either just been going on about something irrelavent there or something. Hopefully, it is a help to someone! I was kidding about the headache! It's sure hard to explain things sometimes, isn't it? I rack my brain sometimes trying to find a simple way of asking or explaining something, to keep people from having their eyes go glassy with the 1000 yard stare!
Old 04-25-2013, 03:42 AM   #10
hangingon

Sorry I thought I got you upset with me. It is hard and I ? myself with how I go about trying to be of help and it seems the less they know the harder it is and trying to keep it simple enough to understand. I have a cousin I don't think anybody can help he has crashed every heli he has tried to fly and most in the first 5mins. He could not trim his mcx and he built a Trex 450 pro and it's never been spooled up it's set on a shelf for 3yrs. now along with a 50 size nitro heli as well thats not been spooled up. He can't fly the mcx or cx2 and he knows this but he buys a novus cp and tries to fly it in the house a few weeks ago. He has been buying rc cars and heli's for around 7yrs. or more. He can't control his rc cars either. So some folks are beyond help. I don't under stand why he keeps buying! learn to fly what you got is my thought he has 7 helis and his second plane now the first one is used for tooth picks now. Sorry for the misunderstanding xmech 2k
Old 04-25-2013, 04:09 AM   #11
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

No worries hangingon! Sorry if I made you feel that way. I was never upset about anything. Keep em flying!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters