Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-30-2012, 01:12 AM   #1
gbfan41649

Friends: (0)
Default Another newbie needing help

Hope you don't mind I have been reading about all day, searching forums etc.
I am wanting to get into RC planes with my boys (grown).
I am really confused as to which plane to get. Money is tight with one boy in college. So don't want to waste money buying something that won't or I can't fly. But something we can all learn on.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:27 AM   #2
max2112
Super Contributor

View max2112's Gallery59
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (13)

Originally Posted by gbfan41649 View Post
Hope you don't mind I have been reading about all day, searching forums etc.
I am wanting to get into RC planes with my boys (grown).
I am really confused as to which plane to get. Money is tight with one boy in college. So don't want to waste money buying something that won't or I can't fly. But something we can all learn on.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Let me start by saying WELCOME to WattFlyer, gbfan! it's always great to see new folks here on the forum.

Your question is a big one that gets asked a lot. And there will be many great RC gurus chiming in soon. Have you or your sons ever flown RC? Do you have an RC club or field near you? Two things I'll recommend right away.

I definitely recomend a computer simulator. It's basically a very realistic RC video game but instad of a joystick you use a RC controller. The simulator helps you with basic flying skills and orientation. I use RealFlight but there are much cheaper (even free) ones out there.

Secondly, a beginner plane will usually be a high wing plane that doesn't go very fast. Here's an example. SuperCub

It wasn't my first plane, but the one I loved first and gained the most confidence with was a GWS PicoStik-F. The ony negative I had was the pane was very small and light. It didn't handle wind very well.

There are many "Sticky" threads here in the forums. They are always on top when you go to a new category page. There are some GREAT articles that cover the basics of RC Flight and especially Electric RC.

Happy New Year and keep the questions coming.

Please call me John. I came up w/ Max2112 when I thought you were all internet predators after me Lucky Charms!!
Old 12-30-2012, 03:31 AM   #3
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Welcome to WF! No I don't mind that you've been reading all day! Good thing, actually. So did you already have a couple of planes in mind?

There are a few things to consider before your purchase. Field size. Budget. Parts supply. Prior experience. Training availability.

What kind of budget were you thinking of? $100? $200? More?

A big thing to remember is like most things in life, you get what you pay for. So you can get a super cheap plane from a sleazy distributor and you probably will never get it off the ground, if it even works at all, and good luck finding help or spare parts from them. Or you could spend some more and get a good quality plane from someone who will back their product, and has plenty of spare parts available. (When you have enough experience, you can get those cheap planes, as you'll know what needs fixing out of the box to fly them successfully!)

Edit: John posted while I was still typing. He's absolutely right. A flight sim is great for starting. I was into full-scale simming (Microsoft Flight Simulator, X-Plane, etc) for years and years before getting into RC, so I was able to solo on my 2nd flight.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
gbfan41649

Thanks. I have sent an email to the club that is listed in AMA not sure if they are active or not. I do not know where the fly. I live in rural Ky. So we will see, I may have to go it alone.....I flew some 30 yrs ago and then only a 2 channel, so it looks like some say on here, I will probably rekit my plane.

I have been looking at the Super Cub.
Budget about $100-200.
Would I be better off buying 2 $100 kit or 1 better kits?

A flight Sim. Sounds good. Recommendation on free one would be nice.

So many dealers out there. Prices vary. I have no local hobby shop.

Thanks again for the info.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

ParkZone Champ. It is one of the few you can "self teach" on with repeatable results. It is nice and cheap too!

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=HBZ4900

Mike
Old 12-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (13)

hello fan and welcome to wattflyer ,great bunch of rc addicts to drag you in..lol...,ok,we'er not addicts but sure do love this hobby. you will to if you and your sons start out with an easy bird to fly first and decide where you want to go later as in balsa,parkjets,warbirds,3d[not me],ect..ect....

sometimes i think folks should be able to decide on a starter plane after reading beginners forums all day,but the truth is we all like to hear an answer to our questions on a personal level ...like someone out there will help. here we are at wattflyer.

i really like the look of the champ. easy to learn on,batteries are cheap so you can buy enough to keep flying. best of all.....parts are so affordable you'll laugh when you break the wing tip off....,and $89!!!can't go wrong there.
BUT BE WARNED!!!!
you may decide to move up in challenge of bigger ,more power,ect...ect... if this happens be prepared to spend a few extra dollars right off to get the right equipment that you can grow more experience with for a long time. and think buddy box so your son in school can join in the fun when not buried in his books.

again,welcome!!

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 12-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
gbfan41649

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
hello fan and welcome to wattflyer ,great bunch of rc addicts to drag you in..lol...,ok,we'er not addicts but sure do love this hobby. you will to if you and your sons start out with an easy bird to fly first and decide where you want to go later as in balsa,parkjets,warbirds,3d[not me],ect..ect....

sometimes i think folks should be able to decide on a starter plane after reading beginners forums all day,but the truth is we all like to hear an answer to our questions on a personal level ...like someone out there will help. here we are at wattflyer.

i really like the look of the champ. easy to learn on,batteries are cheap so you can buy enough to keep flying. best of all.....parts are so affordable you'll laugh when you break the wing tip off....,and $89!!!can't go wrong there.
BUT BE WARNED!!!!
you may decide to move up in challenge of bigger ,more power,ect...ect... if this happens be prepared to spend a few extra dollars right off to get the right equipment that you can grow more experience with for a long time. and think buddy box so your son in school can join in the fun when not buried in his books.

again,welcome!!
Thanks I also seen the Mini cub are there any advantage of one over the other? How do I go about doing buddy box? Sorry this sounds like a dumb question.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #8
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Club: www.rmvc-cumulus.nl

E-flight 101 by RCG member Ken Myers, will at least save you a ruined LiPo (or worse!), a burnt motor and a fried ESC:
The Ampeer
-> Electric Power Basics

followed by
The Ampeer
-> Everything youw wanted to know about e-flight (Ed Anderson)
Table of Contents
  • Six Keys to Success for New Pilots
  • Important Note About Motor and Propeller Safety
  • The Mythical Best First Plane
  • The AMA Park Pilot Program
  • Things To Check On a Ready-To-Fly (RTF)
  • What You Need To Know About Receivers
  • What function goes on which stick?
  • Battery Basics
  • Amps Versus Volts Versus C
  • Lithium Battery Chargers
  • Balance chargers versus external balancers
  • Extending Flight Times While Maintaining Balance (proper CG)
  • Understanding the Electronic Speed Control (ESC)
  • he Low Voltage Cutoff Feature (LVC) Of Your ESC
  • The Role of the Battery Eliminator Circuit in Your ESC (BEC)
  • Sizing Power Systems for Electric Airplanes
  • Prop Versus Amps
  • Why Consider a Gearbox?
  • What Do the Kv Numbers On Motors Mean?
  • Who Needs a Wattmeter/Power Meter?

Old 12-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

A buddy box is where you have 2 transmitters connected by a trainer cord, which plugs into the tx somewhere on the back or side, depends on the brand of tx. One is the master, which the trainer is flying with. He has a spring loaded switch that when he holds it, gives control of the plane to the trainee with the other radio. If/when necessary, the trainer only needs to release the switch and he gets back control.

Other than Spectrum and JR, I don't know of any other tx's that are compatible between brands for doing this, so you almost always need 2 tx's of the same brand for this.

Unfortunately, at the price point you're looking at, I don't think this is a real possibility, unless you start looking at used equipment possibly. I never heard of any of those RTF tx's capable of this, but I could be wrong.

Which leads to the simulators. Using that same plug for the trainer cord, you can get a set of connectors to connect your tx to the usb port of your commuter. Here's a sample of one on EBay: NEW-12in1-Flight-Simulator-Cable-USB-Dongle-For-RC-Helicopter-Airplane-VRC-Car. (Thanks to the people who helped me find these!)

Or there are some cheap ones that come with a usb-only tx: DYNAM-6-CH-RC-HELICOPTER-PLANE-FLIGHT-SIMULATOR-USB-NEW

Although I think these come with a disc that has the free downloadable FMS Flight Simulator. I've just recently been using RC Desk Pilot. I'll have to try FMS too, and see how they compare.

Of course, these kind of pale to the sims like RealFlight and Phoenix, but we're talking budget here! The biggest thing I miss compared to RealFlight, is the ability to open a small windoe that has a constant close up view of the plane, so you can always tell the orientation. And in the main screen, you set an auto-zoom function, that keeps the plane in the center of the view, and dynamically zooms out and in as necessary to keep the runway or ground in view. This way, even if the plane becomes a spek, you can still fly it from the little inset window.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
matiac
What, me worry?

Club: A.M.A. Member, not currently affliliated with a club
Friends: (2)

Clearview. 35 bucks. I'd buy the Dynam controller (which does come with the FMS software) and use it with the Clearview. That's what I did, the FMS is actually pretty good for freeware, but if scenery's what you dig, then anything from the Clearview up to Phoenix is definately more realistic. They ALL serve the purpose of teaching you basics, just all depends on what you're willing to spend...

R.C. Hobby is a hole into which one dumps money.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:40 PM   #11
gbfan41649

OK so if I go with the Champ or mini super cub, will or can I use the radio with other planes or is it basically a throw away system.
Should I just go ahead and buy the Super cub I assume a better radio system?
Old 12-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #12
Yakfishingfool

Friends: (1)

You really should go look at who's planes you like. I went with the parkzone series and started with the champ. I can bind and fly other parkzone three channels with that controller. The rtf super cub comes with a decent four channel which should bind with all the four channel BindnFly units. You can;t go wrong with the champ to start. Light air only or indoors - think gym sized indoors. and all can learn with that unit if they are bigger than 12-14 yo. You all just have to fight over who can fly first I went with the DX6i and i have my champ, my supercub LP, a ARF P51, a Parkzone corsair and my sim all on that radioand am about to add a kit built trainer and a nite vapor for indoor flying during the winter. I like it so far. Scott
Old 12-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #13
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (14)

I think it would be kinda hard to use the radio in the champ in another plane but they sell all kinds of champ parts and if you can glue a little it will probly last a long time . The cub comes witha DX-4 channel radio and i know you can use it with other planes but its alot more $ . They do make parts for the cub also . Now i think its up to you on what you want to spend and if you can afford a little more for a plane with a better radio . You can always learn on the champ and if its taken care of sell it later or let your son fly it when he's home. While you are learning with the champ save up for a bigger plane and nicer radio. Hope this helps . BTW i know where you are comming from ,i had two of my children in college at once long ago . I ate alot of beans and cornbread to make it happen. lol joe
Old 12-31-2012, 12:54 AM   #14
Beemerider

Club: Augusta County RC Club
Friends: (1)

Welcome!

I started my grandson on the Champ not really knowing at the time if he would really care for RC. Turns out he'd rather go fishing! So he's trying to teach me to fish. So I was left with the Champ. It's a fun little plane and very nearly indestructible. They're $89 shipped plus you'd have $$ left over to buy this DX6i (a very good radio system incl/receiver for $109). That radio gives you lots of room for future airplanes plus it's compatible with the Champ as well.

http://www.targethobby.com/spectrum-...p-4162198.html

You'll need the radio with it's 10 model memories because much like rabbits you'll find they're s no such thing as "one airplane".
Old 12-31-2012, 01:02 AM   #15
hoghead5150

couple questions you should answer before buying a plane.

budget.
field size.
weather where you live. if you live in an area that is usually windy (7mph or more) then the micros like the Champ are not gonna be very good. these are no wind to maybe 5mph wind planes.
budget... did i mention that??
are you going it alone, or do you have a flying club, or at least a seasoned flier to guide you.

personally the hobbyzone super cub is a great plane. we have flown ours in 12-15mph winds and it does ok. not great but ok. we learned on this plane without any help, and after a few crashes and some glue it's still flying.

the ares gamma 370 is also another great starter plane. good thing about this plane is it's cheaper than the super cub, and when you get ready there are aileron equipped wings for it as well as brushless conversions. while you can do these modifications to the super cub, for the ares you can just go to hobbytownusa and buy the parts from the manufacturer.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:14 AM   #16
gbfan41649

Just finished reading
EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ELECTRIC POWERED FLIGHT An E-Book by Ed Anderson
Wow a lot of information. Great place for me to start.

To answer a few questions.
Looks like I am going it alone as of now.
Huge fields available
Could be some wind on the mountain tops but should not be bad.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:24 AM   #17
hoghead5150

if you've got the space, i would look at either the hobbyzone super cub, or the ares gamma 370. both of these planes are durable, parts are easy to get, and they both fly very well.

after you learn to fly, and decide if you want to stay in the hobby, this is when a good transmitter will come into play. at that point tho, you will have a better idea of what you want and what you like. both of these planes i mentioned will get you going in the right direction tho.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:01 AM   #18
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

I wouldn't forget that new HobbyZone Firebird Stratos, either. Their newer beginners plane. I think it's more crashworthy than their SuperCub, though I don't think the Stratos' tx is one you can really use for other planes. But it's $50 less than the SC. And personally, I wouldn't want to use a non-computer radio for multiple planes. Some people don't mind, but it would be too much of a pita for me to deal with all the different trims, reverse switches, etc. So other than keeping the Dx4 tx that comes with the SC for buddy boxing in the future, it would be just something to eventually sell in my eyes.

Just some food for thought. Good luck with your decision!
Old 12-31-2012, 06:05 AM   #19
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Gb,
This is a great forum to learn from. I don't think a day has gone by when I haven't learned something new. Some real experts(myself not included) in all facets of RC electrics are here. A plethera of knowledge. If you're going to just try the hobby, there are ultra cheap ways to get in including finding a used high wing trainer on craigslist, ebay, etc. Nothing wrong with a little hangar rash as you'll quickly find out it's not necessarily a beauty contest.

If you feel you'll succumb to the addiction, then there's certain things you might want to consider:

1) The Sim as mentioned, is a great idea. Look used for a Real flight set up. Can sometimes find them slightly used on ebay, rc groups, rc universe, etc.
2). Look at getting a decent TX. Spektrum, Futaba, JR, Hitec, Airtronocs. Even a the Flysky/Turnigy 9x. This is a one time buy.
3). Start thinking Battery chargers. You'll get frustrated waiting on the 1-2 amp cheapie cell phone type chargers. Think Cellpro, ICharger,etc.
4) Starter plane? As mentioned above, the Champ, Super Cub and Gamma are all good choices. I started with the Super Cub LP and progressed quickly to the T-28. Modded out the Super Cub with new BL motor/esc, 2.4, Ailerons, bigger wheels, etc. Still have it. I think the Super Cub can handle a little more wind than it's little brother, the Champ.
5). If you're near Bowling Green, they have a great club there. Paved runway, etc. Contact Bud Layne. He's a great modeler and rc mentor. Old friend of Carl Goldberg.

Welcome to WF and have fun !

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 12-31-2012, 03:56 PM   #20
gbfan41649

Thanks fo all the info and keep it coming I really enjoy the help.

Leaning toward the ares gamma 370 but do notice that the Super Cub is a little bigger, Do you all think it is more bang for the buck
I see that the Gamma plane can be upgraded easliy. What about the radio that comes with it? Is it one that I will grow with or will I want to upgrade if I stay in the hobby?
Or is the one that comes with the Super Cub a better radio system.

Or am I over thinking the radio system and whole process?
Buy a plane, fly it, crash it, fix it, fly it, crash it ...etc. Just want to give myself the best chance possible for staying in the hobby.

I am over 200 miles from Bowling Green. Thanks though.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #21
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (14)

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Gb,
This is a great forum to learn from. I don't think a day has gone by when I haven't learned something new. Some real experts(myself not included) in all facets of RC electrics are here. A plethera of knowledge. If you're going to just try the hobby, there are ultra cheap ways to get in including finding a used high wing trainer on craigslist, ebay, etc. Nothing wrong with a little hangar rash as you'll quickly find out it's not necessarily a beauty contest.

If you feel you'll succumb to the addiction, then there's certain things you might want to consider:

1) The Sim as mentioned, is a great idea. Look used for a Real flight set up. Can sometimes find them slightly used on ebay, rc groups, rc universe, etc.
2). Look at getting a decent TX. Spektrum, Futaba, JR, Hitec, Airtronocs. Even a the Flysky/Turnigy 9x. This is a one time buy.
3). Start thinking Battery chargers. You'll get frustrated waiting on the 1-2 amp cheapie cell phone type chargers. Think Cellpro, ICharger,etc.
4) Starter plane? As mentioned above, the Champ, Super Cub and Gamma are all good choices. I started with the Super Cub LP and progressed quickly to the T-28. Modded out the Super Cub with new BL motor/esc, 2.4, Ailerons, bigger wheels, etc. Still have it. I think the Super Cub can handle a little more wind than it's little brother, the Champ.
5). If you're near Bowling Green, they have a great club there. Paved runway, etc. Contact Bud Layne. He's a great modeler and rc mentor. Old friend of Carl Goldberg.

Welcome to WF and have fun !

-Hawk
I have to agree with hawk on the bigger cub plane being better to fly in more wind and if its bigger its easyer to see . As far as the cub radio not having model programing from one plane to another ,it will make you a better builder by having to set each plane up different by hand . Us old timers did it for 20 years before they had programing and it did not kill us. lol It does have servo reversing and some other features like our old am radios we used long ago. I fly dxm and the companys service is the best i have ever seen . I have sent them recievers that i told them i broke in a crash to get them fixed and they sent me a new one free of charge. joe
Old 12-31-2012, 05:53 PM   #22
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Club: www.rmvc-cumulus.nl

Originally Posted by gbfan41649 View Post
... Buy a plane, fly it, crash it, fix it, fly it, crash it ...etc. Just want to give myself the best chance possible for staying in the hobby. ...
Find experienced help and/or join a club, buy the plane and RC gear they use for training, don't crash

Old 01-01-2013, 01:50 AM   #23
PlaneCraz3d
Formerly Maddux99

Club: Paducah AeroModelers Club

GBFan, I don't know where in KY your from, but I'm a member of Paducah Aeromodelers Club here in Paducah Ky. If your near here and interested shoot me a PM and I'll send you some contact info.

Current Planes: 3dhs 59" AJ Slick, Lil' Ripper by 3dmondesigns, Diablo by 3dbatix, Mojo 40 (Slimer under construction)
Old 01-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #24
gbfan41649

Originally Posted by PlaneCraz3d View Post
GBFan, I don't know where in KY your from, but I'm a member of Paducah Aeromodelers Club here in Paducah Ky. If your near here and interested shoot me a PM and I'll send you some contact info.
I live at the other end of the state in eastern KY In Floyd County

Thanks
Old 01-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #25
PlaneCraz3d
Formerly Maddux99

Club: Paducah AeroModelers Club

No problem. I hope you do find a good club to fly with. That is the single most helpful thing I ever did after I started flying. Just being able to visit and share experiences with others that have the same interests in the hobby as I do was/is great.

Current Planes: 3dhs 59" AJ Slick, Lil' Ripper by 3dmondesigns, Diablo by 3dbatix, Mojo 40 (Slimer under construction)

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners