Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-04-2011, 01:44 AM   #1
Giga Shadow

Friends: (0)
Question Air Hogs Sharpshooter Helicopter Problem

When The helicopter is in the air it constantly spins no matter how much it is trimmed. The helicopter worked before perfectly and all the parts seem intact. When it spins it seems to try to calibrate itself or adjust because when I attempt to trim the helicopter it becomes more stable but then it suddenly spins much faster and makes a noise. It spins clockwise and I am turning the trim counter-clockwise. Everything else about the helicopter seems normal but it will not allow itself to be trimmed. It simply increases it's rate of spin if it becomes stable. One thing I noticed was that using different amounts of throttle appeared to make it either spin at a slower speed, or increase speed and make a strange noise. I know it is supposed to spin a bit more when more thrust is applied but this increase in spin was extremely rapid. The noise it makes seems like a familiar sound of a motor turning something into a different position and not the sound of something broken. We have tried removing all lighting but it it had no effect. We have other remote-controlled helicopters but they are not on at the same time. There does not seem to be any other form of interference which would affect it. I suspect it is trying to auto stabilize incorrectly, but what do I know. How do I fix this? I think it has something to do with the counter-rotational rotors.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:35 AM   #2
cbatters
Super Contributor

Friends: (4)

Did it work better when you first got the helicopter? (has it ever worked correctly and been stable?)

I just re-read your post and it sounds like it used to fly fine so you are trying to isolate damage from a crash.

Don't have this particular heli so can't help.

Clint

Current - Ventura, HZ SuperCub-Freedom-Swift-AB3, PZ Typhoon, T-28 Trojan, Radian, AeroAce Biplane
Maiden - F-27C Stryker
10 years Ago - ElectroSoar 2M Glider, 2M Foam Glider, Mirage 550
Retired - Sky Fly, Red Hawk, Extreme, Challenger
Old 01-04-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,133 Times in 2,042 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (307)

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

check for hair, carpet fuzzies, etc. caught up in the shafts/gears. Will slow down one blade and heli will pivot/spin due to the unequal rotor speeds.

Look close as it only takes a tiny piece to slow down a shaft

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:45 AM   #5
Giga Shadow

Question

It worked perfectly before but once I trim it past a certain point of stability it goes haywire. Different amounts of throttle affect whether it spins or not. When I use a certain amount the helicopter is almost stable, (When I trim it past a certain point) but at certain degrees of strength, it acts as if it was trimmed completely the opposite direction! I opened it up but the rotor shafts and everything else seemed fine. I could post a picture of the inside if necessary.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:18 AM   #6
Giga Shadow

Default Pictures

Her are some picture of the inside. I could not find any dirt or fuzz caught in the gears.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 1.jpg
Views:	921
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	141442 Inside the helicopter

Name:	Photo 4.jpg
Views:	975
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	141443 close-up of gears

Name:	Photo 6.jpg
Views:	846
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	141444 rotors
Old 01-05-2011, 05:19 AM   #7
Giga Shadow

Default Pictures

sorry for the terrible picture quality.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #8
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Hi Giga add a little oil to the Rotor Shafts just a drop or two, and add a little weight to the front, and see if that helps any , Take care, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #9
Giga Shadow

Ok I think I have narrowed it down a bit. I tried adding oil to the shaft and gears but with no effect. I noticed the bottom rotor is not starting up as fast. This could be the problem and I was wondering if perhaps the rotor was not connected well to the gears/shaft. This would account for the slow startup and clockwise spin.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:08 AM   #10
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Giga Shadow View Post
Ok I think I have narrowed it down a bit. I tried adding oil to the shaft and gears but with no effect. I noticed the bottom rotor is not starting up as fast. This could be the problem and I was wondering if perhaps the rotor was not connected well to the gears/shaft. This would account for the slow startup and clockwise spin.
yes the gear could be slipping on the shaft, or one of the motors is weak, grap the rotor blade and gear and see if the shaft turns inside the gear, that will tell you if there is a problem there, dont force to hard, just enough pressure to see it it slipping.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #11
dkrhardy

Club: AMA & ECRCC & RAMM
Friends: (3)

I am not familiar with Airhogs, but if you have "click" style trim rather than "slide" trim I may have something for you. My Syma heli has click trim and every time I change the heli battery I take the batteries out of the trans also. This resets the trim "clickers" back to center. If I don't do that the heli starts off with the trim in its last position. With a fresh battery the heli may, and usually does, perform different than the last battery. Even if you have slide trim, give it a try .... nothing to lose.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:55 AM   #12
Giga Shadow

Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
I am not familiar with Airhogs, but if you have "click" style trim rather than "slide" trim I may have something for you. My Syma heli has click trim and every time I change the heli battery I take the batteries out of the trans also. This resets the trim "clickers" back to center. If I don't do that the heli starts off with the trim in its last position. With a fresh battery the heli may, and usually does, perform different than the last battery. Even if you have slide trim, give it a try .... nothing to lose.
It has a dial to trim it.

Ok, so I checked how the gears and blades spin and I can conclude that the rotor is firmly connected to the shaft which is firmly connected to the gear. The gear for the bottom rotor however, (The one which, if slowed will make the helicopter spin clockwise [my helicopter has the problem of spinning clockwise]) slows down noticeably quicker than the top one. I "Reckon" that the slowing down is caused by the gear being too slow--every other part seems to check out fine. I notice that the sound which emanates from the motor in question is much different from the other one. The motor in question makes a very subtle clicking sound, while the other one makes noticeably louder clicks when I turn it. It is as if the motor in question is in a lower gear. (Yes, that is impossible) I think the problem may reside in the permanent magnets inside the motor, they do shatter easilly. I have a lot of experience with electric motors but I don't think taking it apart is an option. I'm not sure what I should do next.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:02 AM   #13
dkrhardy

Did you, at least, try the trans - battery reset? Give it a go, it's free!
Old 01-08-2011, 06:19 AM   #14
Giga Shadow

Did you, at least, try the trans - battery reset? Give it a go, it's free!
What is a battery reset. I am not aware of any reset button.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:33 AM   #15
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

What is a battery reset. I am not aware of any reset button.
I Think he means is to remove the battery from the transmitter, by doing that, it should clear any memory the transmitter has, and allow you to trim the heli better, with out any previous memory settings.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #16
dkrhardy

RIGHT! In post #11 ... I clearly (I think) stated just that.

Thanks for reading it, Chellie.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #17
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

RIGHT! In post #11 ... I clearly (I think) stated just that.

Thanks for reading it, Chellie.
Hi dkrhardy and Welcome to Wattflyers Everyone interprets instructions differently, I just tried to give the same instructions in a little different light, hopeing it would be understood easier, Take care and have fun, Chellie

Old 01-09-2011, 12:01 AM   #18
Giga Shadow

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
I Think he means is to remove the battery from the transmitter, by doing that, it should clear any memory the transmitter has, and allow you to trim the heli better, with out any previous memory settings.
Does that mean I will have to solder it back on? I may be able to solder it but I'd rather no have to. There is a connector type thing that goes from one side of the battery to the other which says XCW210. I doubt that helps but there has to be an easy way to disconnect it. By the way, I thought letting the battery run out might reset it, (It does work for my "Silver Bullet" helicopter) but how come it does not work for the "Sharpshooter"?
Old 01-09-2011, 04:38 AM   #19
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Does that mean I will have to solder it back on? I may be able to solder it but I'd rather no have to. There is a connector type thing that goes from one side of the battery to the other which says XCW210. I doubt that helps but there has to be an easy way to disconnect it. By the way, I thought letting the battery run out might reset it, (It does work for my "Silver Bullet" helicopter) but how come it does not work for the "Sharpshooter"?
Bummer, if its soldered in, then thats not going to work

Old 01-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #20
dkrhardy

OK, as CHELLIE said ... that won't work!

I presumed that you had AA batteries in the transmitter. If your batteries are soldered in, DON'T mess with them!

Sorry to have had you running around in circles!
Old 01-10-2011, 12:21 AM   #21
Giga Shadow

Thanks anyways guys. (And girls)
Old 05-11-2011, 12:14 AM   #22
soccerxman96

i got the same helicopter and it was working really well until i tried to trim it and when i finished trimming it wouldn't let me turn right only left and if i make it go any higher it looses control and crashes i need help too!
Old 01-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #23
emeryemery

Default Havoc Heli by Air Hog Spinning Uncontrollably!

I too have the same issue but mine is spinning uncontrollably out of the box.

I am a seasoned mini-helicopter enthusiast and this is my first Air Hogs brand product. Unless I'm missing something not so obvious, I am of the opinion that my brand new Havoc Heli is suffering from a manufacturers defect.

I received this as a Christmas gift and I have never been able to even get it to hover. It immediately careens off to the left or right out of control the moment I get it airborne.

The trim seems to only send it into a more tightly oriented left spin, no matter which way I try to adjust the trim and the right/left control seems to have no effect 90% of the time. It's the most frustrating heli I've ever owned.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners