Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #576
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

I run my lights on 3S on all my planes. They'll run on 2S, but are a bit dim for my tastes.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #577
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

View guapoman2000's Gallery56
Friends: (11)

Hi Guys!

Just having fun with my new 808 Key Chain Camera looking AFT on top of my GWS SLOW Stick. It is powered by the BP Hobbies A2217/9 Brushless motor, a staple selection and setups to many of my Park Flyer size RC Airplane Models.

Recorded on location, Moon Port Modelers RC Club in Titusville, Florida and early in the morning, Thursday, December 20, 2012.

Enjoy!
https://vimeo.com/56048085
Old 12-20-2012, 10:46 PM   #578
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Nice. I like the added water hazard!

Old 12-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #579
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Wow Guapoman, you're the only guy other than myself that I know using a 2217 motor. I use the Turnigy 2217-20 860 kv model, very similar to yours swinging an APC 11x4.7SF prop. Heck, yours even sounds like mine and vibrates at the same RPM! Isn't it nice flying in just a little wind and 80 F temps in December! Florida is RC heaven!

Looks like you have a great group of guys flying together over there. Loved the video and like Mark said, loved that really nice lake too. Is your Slow Stick asking for floats for Christmas?

Batten down the hatches for the cold front tonight.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:10 AM   #580
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

View guapoman2000's Gallery56
Friends: (11)

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Wow Guapoman, you're the only guy other than myself that I know using a 2217 motor. I use the Turnigy 2217-20 860 kv model, very similar to yours swinging an APC 11x4.7SF prop. Heck, yours even sounds like mine and vibrates at the same RPM! Isn't it nice flying in just a little wind and 80 F temps in December! Florida is RC heaven!

Looks like you have a great group of guys flying together over there. Loved the video and like Mark said, loved that really nice lake too. Is your Slow Stick asking for floats for Christmas?

Batten down the hatches for the cold front tonight.
Hi there!

I am using this motor on my Slow Stick.
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...7&pid=B2632605

It is greatly over powered and if not careful with throttle, the trailing edges of the wings start to flutter!

I have this same motor in my Freewing F6F Hellcat and other Park Flyer Models.

Yes, Florida is the ticket!

Regards,
Carlos
Old 12-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #581
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I'm using a perfectly ordinary HURC 2410-09Y.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #582
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Arrrr! She's a light one. Very nimble and still flies like a Slow Stick. I may build a light model one day because they fly entirely differently than my overpowered monster. One thing on mine is that the lower kv motor, along with swinging only a 4/7" prop makes my top speed undangerous for the wings. I top out at about 35 mph pitch speed, probably about 30 mph flying speed. I went for the 11" prop to provide the motor load.

Just like Guapoman, I'm running 18A, 200W but mine can do that all day. In practice I doubt it does that even for Guapoman's motor rating of 60 seconds. Heck, that would take me from ground level to a thousand feet in a vertical line. That's a bad idea for a Slow Stick unless you have binoculars or much better vision than I do!
Old 01-01-2013, 03:04 AM   #583
hangingon

Club: no clubs
Friends: (4)

I was going thru the post here reading about the gws ss I was thinking about ording the ss with the brushless motor included. At this time I'm flying a harbor/sdm cub that I have changed to brushless but parts are not so easy to get. I found the same cub on Hobby King no electronics with shipping is 36.00 if the ss would be a better plane I rather spend a little more and get the slow stick. It looks like replacement parts is no problem. If you have input you can share please do I need the help.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:20 AM   #584
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (2)

hangingon.....

It really depends on what your expections are. I'm not familiar with the little cub you have now, but with the SS there unlimited mod's you can do to this slow flyer.

A brushless set-up and ailerons would be a good 4ch starter to comfortably learn both rudder and aileron control since the SS is not a speed demon with a little dihedral and will glide very well.

I've seen a few that have been modified to perform acrobatic flight, but will need constant attention due to the light and somewhat delicate air frame.....

Still a good choice to build confidence with........!

A blast to keep in the air for long periods of time too!
Old 01-01-2013, 04:55 AM   #585
hangingon

Pizzano the cub I have is as cheap as they come 3ch. wing span is 38" fuse is 28 or 29" It sold thru or was sold thru Harbor Freight tools. The exceed 3ch cub from Nitroplanes is the same thing Hobby King calls it old timer j3 cub etc. Harbor Freight no longer sells the cub but at this time still have replacement parts for it. I have not found any other online rc store selling parts for this plane anymore. I have been flying it for over a year now & replaced the fuse 1 time and upgraded to brushless a few weeks ago. It still flies ok but I rather have a plane thats not going to be a problem getting parts. Due to budget thats why I'm looking at the slow stick and most of the post I read people seem to like them. I'm not into the high speed or 3d flight. I just want a good flying plane.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:24 AM   #586
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

hangingon.....

If a budget flyer is your goal....go for it on the SS...you won't be sorry!

Many of us more experienced pilots have a SS in the stable.....it's just a lot of fun to throw around on calm days, modify and relax with on the cheap........like you mentioned, parts and mod's are everywhere and it don't cost an arm and a leg to rebuild!

Check out the vid's here...you'll be surprised with what that light glider can do!....and there's plenty of us here that can walk you through any issues.....!
Old 01-01-2013, 05:50 AM   #587
hangingon

Thank you again I started in this hobby some 30 something years ago with cars I had everything form carpet, asphalt, dirt oval to off road 12th scale to 1/8 scale electric to nitro and won a lot of races at local tracks we used to have. I always wanted to try rc planes but backed away from it then I jumped in with both feet the first jump went well the blade cx2 the second jump not so well Mini Titan E325 heli. So my wife did let me get the cub 74.00 rtf that was cheap enough for her to agree. After the Mini Titan she didn't won't me buying anything that flies. Now that I have done ok with the plane she will let me upgrade. Later I'm going to step up to something better in the 200 to 250 price range.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:55 AM   #588
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Slowstick, depending on what radio gear you might already have, you could get in the air for about $100 with a battery or two. It will last ya a long time if your good to it. I am still flying mine, it was my first plane, and I am still using the origional wing and tail. I have however, been through about 6 motors and a ton of batteries, as well as several sticks for the fuse.

I have since upgraded to a 450 class motor, 40 amp esc, a thick walled carbon fiber 10mm shaft, and a bipe kit, along with some other small mods. I have probably over 200 flights on the plane, and if you rip the wings apart, I have just packaging taped them back together. Its a tough plane.

I plan on adding aleroins and possibly mounting two motors on the upper wing in a puller usher setup, and maybe even doing some night flying or adding a camera. You can also run almost any sized battery you wish. I've flown my dads on everything from a 800mah to a 2200mah 3cell lipo. Its a fun plane, even if all you do is putt around at the park with a stockish setup.

Me and my dad fly at a church parkinglot quite regularly. We like to do what we call, a parkinglot challenge. We try to takeoff and land, in a parkingspot.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #589
hangingon

Hayofstacks thank you! I'm ordering the slow stick with the brushless motor in the kit I will be using DX6i hobby wing 40amp esc orange rx receiver I have 2cell 900 mah and 3 cell 2200 mah all 25c rating & eflite servos. That will still leave me 2 servos to add ailerons later on.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #590
hangingon

Thank you all for the advice on the slow stick. I placed my order with Heads up rc this morning and I'am looking to have a good time with the slow stick. I did order the kit with the BL motor included. Any advice on cg will be helpful for the build.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #591
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

That 900 mah batter on 2 cells might not be enough to have any fun...

I'd run about a 9X6 on the 2200 mah battery, to help balance things out, i'd put the servo's close to the tail. To be honest, its been a long time since I've played with the sl motor.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #592
hangingon

I will have to get a couple of batteries for the SS. I will stick with 1 size to keep from having to adjust the cg all the time for different packs. I may try the zippy packs from Hobby King. The batteries I have now are what I use in my helis & I fly my cub with the 2cell 900's as well.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #593
hangingon

Thank you all again the slow stick will be here tomarrow so I will have fun starting the build. The other good news for me is I have my mini titan E325 sold so that will get me another plane in the 200 to 250 price range. It will be a hobby zone super cub & add ailerons or a 4ch e-flite or park zone of some kind.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:23 AM   #594
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

A little rain can't stop me.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #595
hangingon

I like the lights and very goood on the sticks I hope to fly mine that well 1 day.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #596
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
A little rain can't stop me.

YouTube Video
Very nice! My first night flyer was a slow stick. I had 5 led's total on it! One red and one green on the wingtips, two bright whites on the leading edge and a flashing strobe on the tail!

We sure have come a long way with the lighting!

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 01-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #597
Gary H

Friends: (0)

Howdy guys. In a way I'm new here, but not so new to planes and a question for yall, (yes I'm from Texas) . I have an extra motor laying around and thought I would get another SS for it. It's a 28-26 1130 kv which is pretty much a 370 size motor. From what I have read it should be ok, not too big but the main thing I'm wondering about is how to mount it to the SS. Is there an after market mount currently available that will provide the right amount of thrust needed?

Also, what prop size and battery size would yall recommend? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #598
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Hi Gary...welcome to the forum!

You came to the right link for Slow Stick ideas.......Scroll through the pages and you'll find hundreds of ways to build and mount motors on the Slow Stick with numorous combinations and sizes.

Here's a link that specializes in after market Slow Stick up grades.......I've purchased kits from them and thier well made, great to learn with and even catch the eye of those who think they've "outgrown" the stick stage......lol

Again, welcome, there's lots to learn here and a great bunch of guys to toss ideas at!

http://www.millenniumrc.com/MotorMount.html
Old 01-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #599
Gary H

Thank you pizzano.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:06 AM   #600
Gary H

This might look what I may go with.

http://www.flyerc.mybigcommerce.com/...essory-bundle/

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers