Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-02-2013, 02:14 AM   #1
CaptainMalick98

Friends: (0)
Default Hobbyzone Supercub fine?

I had my 4th flight today in the Hobbyzone Supercub, but i had a series complete fails and (kind of) broke it. I forgot to check the trim before launching it (i launched because i was on a sand-field and kept nosing over). Unfortunately, the trim happened to be all the way to the right. I tried to counteract it (hadn't noticed at the time), but it was't enough, and my plane "knife edged" Into a tree, which probably broke the rudder. I retrieved the plane and didn't know of the broken rudder at the time either, so i set the trim to the middle and launched again, and the plane still turned right way much, but cut the throttle and managed to land it. I set the trim all the way to the left, and it still turned right, and i landed it really hard, which broke one of the plastic gear fins, and slightly cracked the cowl. I noticed that, so i took time to assess the damage and realized that the rudder was bent to the right, and the tip of the push-rod was broken and wasn't connected to the rudder (big no duh moment for me). I went pack to my house and taped a half of a popsicle stick on both sides of where the rudder was bent. I also reconnected the push-rod to the control horn using a safety pin bent to make sure the connection wouldn't be loose. I left the cowl and plastic gear fin as they were as i didn't see the need to fix them. I went back out flew the plane, remembering to trim this time, and it worked perfectly. I flew until the motor cut out and glided it back in for a landing. While it flew well, i was wondering if i should replace the parts? I was planning on buying lipo batteries and a brushless motor, as well as servos for flaps and ailerons, and a carbon fiber rod to get rid of the struts, so i don't want to spend money to fix these things if i don't need to.

I attached pictures.

So to summarize, is it necessary for me to replace these parts? Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130101_180717.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	165322   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130101_180925.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	165323  
Old 01-02-2013, 02:16 AM   #2
CaptainMalick98

Sorry for double post, tried to upload a pic that didn't work the first time. I guess theres a global picture size quota? Anyways, all it showed was that missing fin.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:22 AM   #3
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

I would definitely replace the clevis. You'll have to buy a push rod set to get them from Hobby Zone. Use packing tap on the inside of the cowl to hold it in shape and reinforce it. It's up to you on the rudder. If your repair is sound and it flies well I guess you are okay but a new tail set is only $11.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:31 AM   #4
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

I'd replace your taped rudder with glued in popsicle sticks (I've done that too.) Tape the cowl as recommended by Turner, not just the crack but the whole inside.

It's a trainer! It should look beat up!

If you got the older 3 channel version, you'll need a new radio, receiver, and servos to do the upgrades you mention. Oh, and disable ACT.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Sounds like you are not only learning to fly but learning to fix them as well. The cub is a durable and cheap plane to repair. We all learn the hard way at times but looks like to me you are on the right track

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

Replace the clevice and then ca a small piece of plastic behind the crack in your cowl on the inside of it and if you want to fill the front crack in with spot puddy for cars and sand smooth . Check the rest of your controls and servos /pushrods to make shure every thing is working fine. If your rudder is bent with a crease in it you can put a thin slice in it and cut dow a tong depresser or wood coffie stirring stick to fit in the slot you made to stiffen up the rudder . Try to use very small amounts of glue as to not make it tail heavy .You can buy a piece of flat carbon fiber if you want it to be real stiff but most times a small piece of hard wood will do the trick. Bamboo cooking sticks are good too.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:54 AM   #7
CaptainMalick98

Ive done the above, and had another fail. I trimmed it and flew. Everything flew perfectly for about 5 minutes. Then the plane once again started turning right and i (once again) crashed into a tree, completely smashing the cowl (the fuselage and and motor are fine as well as the prop). The wing also broke in half, right where the wing hangs off the fuselage. I was quite annoyed. I think its a faulty servo because my more experience friend and i looked inside the fuselage and saw that the servo was acting strange when the transmitter was on ant the battery was plugged in, it would randomly throw all the way that would pull the rudder right, and get stuck there, and the controls would do nothing, and after a while it would go back to normal. Is this a servo issue or a Tx/Rx issue? Also, i am planning on getting a new wing but i temporarily fixed it by sliding bbq skewers into one part of the wing, and sliding the broken part onto the skewers. I then hot glued the wing parts together (with the BBQ skewers in place), and taped around the seam with packing tape, and the wing is now more rigid than before. Problem is, the wing is now rather flat on the broken side. I could use a hair dryer to bend it back, but i don't really want to mess with it any more. Will this make the plane unbalanced? How will it affect flight characteristics? Thanks
Old 01-03-2013, 06:16 AM   #8
CaptainMalick98

bump?
Old 01-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

I think the only way now to tell how its going tofly is just by giving another toss in the air. Make sure your cg has not changed and balance it from side to side to in case one wing half weighs more than the other. Try another servo but also make sure the control rod is not getting hung up on anything when it goes to the right. I think you can get a new wing for not that much money . joe
Old 01-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #10
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Do check the wing to make sure it's not heavy on one side. Balance it on a dowel in the center and see if one side drops. You can push a finishing nail into the foam on the light side to balance it.

Another thing to check is if the repair twisted the wing. Set it on a table and measure the distance between the table and the leading and trailing edges near the wing tip. The difference between the two measurements should be the same on both sides. If they are off you'll have a hard time getting the plane trimmed; it will want to turn in one direction.

You can shim between the fuselage and the wing on the low side to get the wing realigned. That's also important for it to fly straight.

A replacement wing is cheap. My LHS keeps them in stock.

If the servo will twitch on the ground, swap the rudder and elevator plugs and see if the same servo twitches. That will tell you if it's the servo or the RX/TX.

Do you have the 3 channel radio or the DX4e?

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #11
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by CaptainMalick98 View Post
Ive done the above, and had another fail. I trimmed it and flew. Everything flew perfectly for about 5 minutes. Then the plane once again started turning right and i (once again) crashed into a tree, completely smashing the cowl (the fuselage and and motor are fine as well as the prop). The wing also broke in half, right where the wing hangs off the fuselage. I was quite annoyed. I think its a faulty servo because my more experience friend and i looked inside the fuselage and saw that the servo was acting strange when the transmitter was on ant the battery was plugged in, it would randomly throw all the way that would pull the rudder right, and get stuck there, and the controls would do nothing, and after a while it would go back to normal. Is this a servo issue or a Tx/Rx issue? Also, i am planning on getting a new wing but i temporarily fixed it by sliding bbq skewers into one part of the wing, and sliding the broken part onto the skewers. I then hot glued the wing parts together (with the BBQ skewers in place), and taped around the seam with packing tape, and the wing is now more rigid than before. Problem is, the wing is now rather flat on the broken side. I could use a hair dryer to bend it back, but i don't really want to mess with it any more. Will this make the plane unbalanced? How will it affect flight characteristics? Thanks
I too had this problem when I started out with the Cub. First of all replace that servo or test it. The last thing you want is to be second guessing your equipment. After you are done doing that and you are 100% sure everything is operating as it should replace the wing. The fact that it is partially flat takes away the dihedral (spelling) dihedral helps keep your plane right side up and its what makes the SC a trainer. IF you try to heat it up, and I am no engineer, you may get it back however you may then have to much dijedral and then your playing a game with yourself as you chase your tail. So replace the wing 20 dollars or so. After all that check CG again. I am currently not home and cant verify but I believe the SC balances at 2.5 inches from the leading edge of the wing. Mark these spots and ensure she is balanced. A little nose heavy is good.
Finally if I have not forgotten anything, review AEJAR sticky in the Beginners section and then go for it. Also I had the same problem with the dredded bank right. The SC was my first plane as well and she is a great learning model.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61959

This is the thread I started when I was having problem with the dreaded right bamk there is some good inof in there. As it turned out my problem was my thumbs and I was pulling down and to the right with my stick. I sense learned the pinch method instead of flying with my thumbs. Just some food for thought
Hope this help and keep us posted on how you progress

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #12
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

CaptMailk
update?

Old 01-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #13
CaptainMalick98

Sorry for not replying i've been a little busy with school lately. I havn't had a change to fly since. I don't think i can go today but maybe next weekend, and i used heat to bend back the wing and it worked, but i think i'd be better off with a new wing.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners