Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Beginners - Helis
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
sonlightcity

Friends: (0)
Default RC Helicopter Lift Capability Question

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum and new to the world of RC Helicopters and I'd appreciate some advice. I have a micro wireless video camera that I'd like to mount on a helicopter. However, it weighs approx 29 grams. Any advice on a helicopter that will lift it? I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive helicopter, preferably within the $50 price range.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:16 AM   #2
tryingtofly
waiting and learning

Default Camera lift?

Well I'm just guessing but I have a mjx f47 and it just barley lifts my 808 keychain camera and it's 15grams so at 29g I would recommend something a little bigger.Plus I'm new here and just started flying helis'
Old 01-03-2013, 02:30 AM   #3
xuzme720
c'mere Monkey

Location: Just North of Houston.Heard of Dayton? I didn't think so...
Send a message via Yahoo to xuzme720
Friends: (8)

Not sure what you can find on the cheap for that kind of payload. Maybe one of the larger co-ax's? It would at least be a little more stable...

Just call me X! (or Gary works, too.)
Another signature landing! Somebody help me find all the pieces...

Old 02-17-2013, 02:01 AM   #4
old4570

Hmmm , Yes Keychain camera .. + If you wanted, rip the guts out ( remove the casing ) to make it lighter again
Old 05-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Generally I find the tiny coax helis you could get near $50 can lift appx 1/4 of their own weight.

That's not much if the heli weighs appx 1 oz...

Keychain cam with case removed is possible. Larger would probably be needed with case.

If you want reliable...
The Blade CX would do it with ease.
But its a lot more than $50.
(WOW...updated to the CX-4... been a long time since I looked at that size)
Old 05-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (2)

Lets see....newbie heli pilot, has +1.0 oz mini cam, wants to fly and vid for $50.00...hmmm.

My first recomendation would be a coax RTF 3 or 4ch......that uses at least 7.4v 800mAh lipo like these:
Lama
Dauphin
Warhawk
Esky, E-Fight, Walkera, Exceed all make something like that which can handle a little additional (1.0oz) of weight.

The next issue: camera compatiblilty......frequency, vibration and mounting:

Most of the above heli's (stock) run brushed motors which have been known to cause video single chatter, making for poor quailty. They also vibrate quite a bit, also causing poor video quality (that can be cured) with a few mods. Mounting can be accomplished (under the skids is best) but can conflict with battery mount location and will need to be secured in a way that makes removing (access) easy and does not block camera lens.

Price: unfortunantley, none of the above are in the $50.00 range.....anything that's big enough to carry added weight will run in the (+)$80.00 range...they get more expensive if you go with brushless power systems.

Ease of flying: Most coax perform well with (no) wind or indoors and at a moderate rate of speed......they are intended to learn with and are pretty durable, easy to fix and forgiving....unlike fixed pitch with fly bar (not recommended here due to request to add video) since a FP would need to be a bit larger to handle adding weight...and cost can get over $100.00.

Just a few ideas...!

AMA 928214
Old 05-14-2013, 03:11 AM   #7
zhang2

Hi,I am Greice,very glad to meet you here,maybe we could becomg friends.Recently, I met the same question,I want equiped my
rc helicopter with a water gun,but that's too heavy for it,maybe I can get some advice here.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:22 AM   #8
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by zhang2 View Post
Hi,I am Greice,very glad to meet you here,maybe we could becomg friends.Recently, I met the same question,I want equiped my rc helicopter with a water gun,but that's too heavy for it,maybe I can get some advice here.
I don't advocate mounting any form of gun... even a water gun... on any RC model.

I can't even see the purpose of trying to mount a water gun on an RC heli as the "down-wash" of the rotor would deflect the water essentially straight down regardless of how you aimed it.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #9
sparky1963
UK fixed-wing & heli dude

View sparky1963's Gallery2

Instead of adapting one, why not buy one purpose-built ?
There's cheap rtf helis which already feature an onboard camera, for less than 40:
http://www.jperkinsdistribution.co.u...wister%20helis
...and one with a water gun, for less than $30:
http://www.helipal.com/wl-v319-water...elicopter.html

Current hangar: Cessna 182, Cessna Skymaster, PZ Spitfire MkIX. ASW-17, Kalt Whisper.
Micro: Blade mSR, Blade mCPx, Sukhoi 26XP, T-28 Trojan, Beast, Stryker, Carbon Cub, Spitfire.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Beginners - Helis