Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #26
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

If you are going to be self taught you will be VERY disappointed in the Versa. Sorry but the guys are asking for video as they know what is going to happen.

Do you have anyone to help you? If not - I STRONGLY encourage you get the Champ - under $100 bucks and you will be successful.

Trust me... Learning without help is super tough. Trying to do it with a non-trainer is SUPER super tough. Sorry but blunt is sometimes needed. Your choices all fly too fast for a beginner's responses.

Mike
Old 12-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #27
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

I'll chip in some advice which you can take or leave.

The Versa is no beginner model and you are pretty much certain to crash. If you are lucky you might be able to keep patching it up and eventually get the hang of it, but the odds are stacked high against you. Many just get disillusioned after the second or third crash and give up.

However, you have bought it now so the best way forward is to find an experienced flyer or better still a club in your area and get some help. Getting help from an experienced RC flyer is far and away the best advice I can give you, it's more important to success than model selection.

If you choose to give it a go alone then at least take a video so you can share the pain with us. I'll try my best not to say "I told you so"

Steve
Old 12-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #28
LowThudd

Friends: (0)

There is an RC field near me, as well as several clubs. I'll take your advice and visit the club, and see if I can get some hands on help.

Thanks for the warning. I do sometimes bite off more than I can chew, and if that is the case here, I can cope with it. lol
Old 01-02-2013, 02:01 AM   #29
matiac
What, me worry?

Club: A.M.A. Member, not currently affliliated with a club
Friends: (2)

And whatever you do, do NOT get the 4 channel Cessna 182, a lot of outfits sell it as a "trainer/beginner" plane, and it's more of an intermediate plane...maybe a second plane.

R.C. Hobby is a hole into which one dumps money.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #30
LowThudd

I think I am going to stick with what I have for now. This is the local club(which I will be joining): http://www.valleyflyers.com/ They do offer training, as well as weekly meetings. Seems like a good club. The RC park is only about 7 miles from me, so no long trek. I've watched planes flying there, just never flown myself.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:03 AM   #31
LowThudd

Also, just joiuned the AMA, a prerequisit for my local club.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #32
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Jimmy:

Life span estimate: 10 to 20 seconds. The Versa is no learner plane and may not be a good plane at all for any reason. It has no track record in the hobby. It is not sold by a company any of us rely on as a source. And it by no means is a learner plane.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #33
LowThudd

The Valley Flyers club has trainer planes to learn with, as well as one on one training. One of the benefits of being a member.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #34
riverrat
circa: 1946

Club: NRA Life Member
Friends: (26)

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Jimmy:

Life span estimate: 10 to 20 seconds. The Versa is no learner plane and may not be a good plane at all for any reason. It has no track record in the hobby. It is not sold by a company any of us rely on as a source. And it by no means is a learner plane.
Rockin Robbins

Concur!

Regards
Jimmy
Old 01-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #35
Chucksolo69

Friends: (1)

Well, maybe with a buddy box, he will be able to fly the Versa.....................
An E-Flight Apprentice would have been a better choice if he has an instructor. Looks like another case of "idontwannalooklikeanewbieitis." (Sigh.)
Old 01-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #36
BBCorvette18

For a brand new pilot I'd suggest the Multiplex FunCub that thing flies perfect for a beginner and is fun for an experienced pilot to mess around with. My cousin has had one for quite a while and loves it. I'm waiting on some electronics to show up to finish building mine.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #37
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by LowThudd View Post
The Valley Flyers club has trainer planes to learn with, as well as one on one training. One of the benefits of being a member.
Bingedy! Bangedy! You have just uttered the magic words taking you OUT of the category of unassisted newbie! Johnny, tell him what he's won!

Low Thudd you are the GRAND PRIZE winner of dozens fewer crashes, tons more fun, the ability to learn on just about any plane you and your instructor can tolerate, lots of companionship to share your successes, and YES, plenty of witnesses when you screw up, many with video cameras!

Had you won this prize package last week we would have included a dozen scantily clad dancing girls but this week you're outta luck.

You have to understand that we get an endless parade of newbies who think they're top guns on a simulator, watched Top Gun and now want to fly an F-22 EDF. And they make comments like they don't want to learn on a plane they'll be bored with in a week, a baby plane or other comment that tells us that they don't realize it's flying that's fun, not what you fly. You just busted clean out of that category for good!

You may now proceed to the FUN ZONE!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #38
LowThudd

Yea. The club should be a big help. Nice to have one near by, with a dedicated RC park.

I just ordered a GWS Pico J-3F Piper Cub(slope flier). I am thinking, maybe I could install some electronics and buy a TX by next month have it up and going(I like to build things). Was actually thinking that I could put the versa electronics in it, but I am pretty sure that motor would be a bit much.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners