Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #26
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

What is confusing the matter is that you have a 4ch TX and a 8ch RX.

It is not necessarily case that ch's working from Tx are 1 - 4 on a multi Rx. They could be ANY slot on the Rx ... as you found throttle on Ch 8.

It is usual to have a lesser ch RX ... then you would find ch's 1-4 more used.

What you need to do is make sure that ALL controls are working correctly - ignore the ch numbers.

a) Turn control - in your case Rudder should work when (I believe you are Mode 2) Right stick is moved LEFT ... RIGHT.
b) Pitch up /down control - Elevator should deflect UP when Right stick is pulled back, deflect DOWN when Right stick pushed forward.
c) Throttle should give proportional control as Left stick is advanced.

If you are getting the above ... GO FLY !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 01-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #27
dheaton

Friends: (0)

The Transmitter is a 4 chanel but the RX is an 8 ch. Does that make a difference? What else can I try? I put the elevator in every ch and the only one it works in properly is ch 3.

Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
I would worry about it a bit because there's no way throttle should be on ch8 with a 4ch Hitec Tx and Rx. Hitec have always used the channel order Ailerons -1, Elevator -2, Throttle -3, Rudder -4.

If yours is doing something other than that it suggests the receiver is faulty or there's some very odd mixing set up in the transmitter (which shouldn't be possible with a Flash 4). Either way it really should be sorted out before you try to use it seriously.

Steve
Old 01-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #28
dheaton

Im in mode 2 but the onlly difference is I wanted the rudder to be on the right stick so that the throttle is on the left stick by itself.
I think this will be a nice plane once I am finished but I have to say it is a pain in the butt. The plans were not good and some missing balsa in the kit. Now it looks like it is way to tail heavy and I still have to figure a way to make the tail drag without riding on the rudder. Any suggestions?

Originally Posted by starcad View Post
I have to agree with Slipstick. Sounds like some sort of mixing going on as every transmitter and receiver I have ever used including my quad use the same order Ailerons -1, Elevator -2, Throttle -3, Rudder -4. Even if you were using mode one on the transmitter it would equate to the same the only difference would be the throttle and rudder on the right stick. BTW, nice plane. Built light and powered right it will be a blast to fly.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #29
dheaton

When I put the throttle on ch3 as suggested I did get throttle but the rudder (ch2) worked at the same time. Not good.

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
What is confusing the matter is that you have a 4ch TX and a 8ch RX.

It is not necessarily case that ch's working from Tx are 1 - 4 on a multi Rx. They could be ANY slot on the Rx ... as you found throttle on Ch 8.

It is usual to have a lesser ch RX ... then you would find ch's 1-4 more used.

What you need to do is make sure that ALL controls are working correctly - ignore the ch numbers.

a) Turn control - in your case Rudder should work when (I believe you are Mode 2) Right stick is moved LEFT ... RIGHT.
b) Pitch up /down control - Elevator should deflect UP when Right stick is pulled back, deflect DOWN when Right stick pushed forward.
c) Throttle should give proportional control as Left stick is advanced.

If you are getting the above ... GO FLY !!

Nigel
Old 01-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #30
BBCorvette18

I would use the the rudder connector and put it in each slot and move the sticks to see what stick input works what slot. I would assume there is another slot that the throttle will work but maybe not. As was said if it all does what you expect it to via your tx input you'll be fine.

If its a tail drager just put a small tail wheel on it
Old 01-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #31
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by dheaton View Post
Im in mode 2 but the onlly difference is I wanted the rudder to be on the right stick so that the throttle is on the left stick by itself.
I think this will be a nice plane once I am finished but I have to say it is a pain in the butt. The plans were not good and some missing balsa in the kit. Now it looks like it is way to tail heavy and I still have to figure a way to make the tail drag without riding on the rudder. Any suggestions?
The simplest way to solve the tail is to get a piece of piano wire and bend to an L .... drill small hole up into fuselage rear and glue the wire into it angled back.....

You could take same wire ... fit a small wheel to it and then do similar but into the rudder ... this then gives steering on ground.

If you want to have steering but no weight on rudder ...

As regards ch's and plugs ... put back to working positions ... do good ground check ... range check if possible ... GO FLY !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 01-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #32
dheaton

I thought about doing something like that but the rudder is only 1/8th thick so I don't think it will hold a wire. The plans call for a piano wire in the body of the plane and bent backward with no wheel.
I like the idea of the rubber band.

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
The simplest way to solve the tail is to get a piece of piano wire and bend to an L .... drill small hole up into fuselage rear and glue the wire into it angled back.....

You could take same wire ... fit a small wheel to it and then do similar but into the rudder ... this then gives steering on ground.

If you want to have steering but no weight on rudder ...

As regards ch's and plugs ... put back to working positions ... do good ground check ... range check if possible ... GO FLY !!

Nigel
Old 01-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #33
slipstick
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (1)

If the elevator is working on Ch3 then that suggests that someone might have messed with the transmitter. That's the result you get if you convert a Mode1 Tx into Mode2 but without swapping the internal connectors over correctly. But if that was the case you'd expect the throttle to appear on Ch2 not Ch8.

Basically there is no way that transmitter is transmitting anything at all on Ch8 so if the RX thinks it's seeing something on Ch8 it can't be working properly. I wouldn't fly a plane with equipment that I know is not working properly but it's up to you (apart from anything else doing that probably invalidates any insurance you may have). You really need to try it with another Rx.

BTW it's very common to have more channels on the Rx than the Tx. E.g. 4Ch Txs are often/usually sold with 6ch Rxs....but what happens is simply that no signal at all appears on channels 5 and 6.

Steve
Old 01-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #34
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I thought about doing something like that but the rudder is only 1/8th thick so I don't think it will hold a wire. The plans call for a piano wire in the body of the plane and bent backward with no wheel.
I like the idea of the rubber band.
It only takes thin wire to create a small hook for the rubber band. The rubber band is small as well.
You could insert the wire ... if its' balsa - you can wick CA in to harden it up.

Nigel

Old 01-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #35
dheaton

Ok here is a photo of two different receivers both are 8 ch. Both have the rudder on ch1, elev on ch3 and throttle works in both places either ch2 or ch8 with full functions. Could this be do to the fact that they are old?

If the elevator is working on Ch3 then that suggests that someone might have messed with the transmitter. That's the result you get if you convert a Mode1 Tx into Mode2 but without swapping the internal connectors over correctly. But if that was the case you'd expect the throttle to appear on Ch2 not Ch8.

Basically there is no way that transmitter is transmitting anything at all on Ch8 so if the RX thinks it's seeing something on Ch8 it can't be working properly. I wouldn't fly a plane with equipment that I know is not working properly but it's up to you (apart from anything else doing that probably invalidates any insurance you may have). You really need to try it with another Rx.

BTW it's very common to have more channels on the Rx than the Tx. E.g. 4Ch Txs are often/usually sold with 6ch Rxs....but what happens is simply that no signal at all appears on channels 5 and 6.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RX.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	165348
Old 01-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #36
BBCorvette18

Ok here is a photo of two different receivers both are 8 ch. Both have the rudder on ch1, elev on ch3 and throttle works in both places either ch2 or ch8 with full functions. Could this be do to the fact that they are old?
When you say rudder on channel 1 your referring to the rudder being used on the Right stick correct? so it would be ailerons for most people.
Does Ch 2 on the 2nd reciever still make both the rudder and throttle move?
Old 01-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #37
dheaton

Yes sorry, you are correct the rudder is on the right stick. As long as the ESC is in ch2 on either RX everything works properly as it does if the ESC is on ch8 and leaving ch2 empty.
The throttle will not work with either RX in ch3. Maybe this is wrong but I learned to fly with the elev/rudder on the right stick. I know I need to put the rudder on the left stick if I am using Aelerons. I am just trying to get back into the air. I suppose if I always kept the rudder on the left then I would learn better heh?

Originally Posted by BBCorvette18 View Post
When you say rudder on channel 1 your referring to the rudder being used on the Right stick correct? so it would be ailerons for most people.
Does Ch 2 on the 2nd reciever still make both the rudder and throttle move?
Old 01-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #38
BBCorvette18

Yes sorry, you are correct the rudder is on the right stick. As long as the ESC is in ch2 on either RX everything works properly as it does if the ESC is on ch8 and leaving ch2 empty.
The throttle will not work with either RX in ch3. Maybe this is wrong but I learned to fly with the elev/rudder on the right stick. I know I need to put the rudder on the left stick if I am using Aelerons. I am just trying to get back into the air. I suppose if I always kept the rudder on the left then I would learn better heh?
Not necessarily I fly 3ch planes just as your trying to set this one up. so all your flying is on 1 stick. When you go to 4ch it takes a little getting used to using the left stick for rudder but isn't hard.

If you have other "newer" Tx/rx systems in another plane you could always pull the rx out and put it in this if your not comfortable with what the current Tx and Rx are doing. However I wouldn't worry about it as long everything is working the way its supposed to regardless of what "ch" the slots claim to be.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #39
slipstick
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (1)

You're fine with the rudder in Ch1 if it's a 3Ch plane. The rudder is the main turning control so that goes there. When you move to 4ch planes the ailerons are the main turning control so then they go in Ch1 and the rudder moves to Ch4.

Since you have throttle and elevator swapped over it might be worth checking "Stick Mode" to see that you haven't accidentally switched the Tx into Mode 1. Mode switching is on p11 of the Flash 4/5 manual. If you haven't got a manual try http://www.hitecrcd.com/files/ManualFlash45SX.pdf

Steve
Old 01-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #40
dheaton

Hey it was in mode 1. I know I changed it but in playing with the radio somehow I must have changed it back to mode 1. It is now in mode 2 and the ESC works in ch3. So I have rudder in ch1, elevator in ch2 and esc in ch3. Thanks. What a hassell. Sorry about that.

You're fine with the rudder in Ch1 if it's a 3Ch plane. The rudder is the main turning control so that goes there. When you move to 4ch planes the ailerons are the main turning control so then they go in Ch1 and the rudder moves to Ch4.

Since you have throttle and elevator swapped over it might be worth checking "Stick Mode" to see that you haven't accidentally switched the Tx into Mode 1. Mode switching is on p11 of the Flash 4/5 manual. If you haven't got a manual try http://www.hitecrcd.com/files/ManualFlash45SX.pdf

Steve
Old 01-04-2013, 11:13 PM   #41
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,109 Times in 2,019 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (305)

Hey it was in mode 1. I know I changed it but in playing with the radio somehow I must have changed it back to mode 1. It is now in mode 2 and the ESC works in ch3. So I have rudder in ch1, elevator in ch2 and esc in ch3. Thanks. What a hassell. Sorry about that.
Glad you got that figured out If you have any Glitching Problems with the older Receivers with E Power, e power produces more RFI, use a Berg Receiver, They are made By Castle Creation, they have the best Ceramic Filters for 72 Mhz, a lot of the older receiver work great with Nitro, but they dont work well with E Power, here is a link to some BERG RECEIVERS, only use a berg Crystal with a Berg Receiver,

http://ecsvr.com/RC-Direct/shopdispl...rs%2C+crystals

http://www.thefind.com/family/browse-berg-receivers

http://www.thefind.com/crafts/browse...annel-receiver

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #42
dheaton

By glitching do you mean twitching of the servos at a distance?

I haven't noticed anything here on the workbench but I haven't tested it at any range.

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Glad you got that figured out If you have any Glitching Problems with the older Receivers with E Power, e power produces more RFI, use a Berg Receiver, They are made By Castle Creation, they have the best Ceramic Filters for 72 Mhz, a lot of the older receiver work great with Nitro, but they dont work well with E Power, here is a link to some BERG RECEIVERS, only use a berg Crystal with a Berg Receiver,

http://ecsvr.com/RC-Direct/shopdispl...rs%2C+crystals

http://www.thefind.com/family/browse-berg-receivers

http://www.thefind.com/crafts/browse...annel-receiver

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions