Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)
Default Wood spars problem solved !

I live in an area that is poorly served for small size wood spars ... If 10mm or bigger is OK - then local DIY shop has. But anything less and you're out of luck.

Today - asked if I wanted to go to Riga with one of my RC pals ... so of we went. He did his business and then we went to look in the Model Shop ... Oh Dear ! Closed for Technical Problems.

I had noticed about 2 months ago that their website shut down ...

We drove of to their other shop ... gone !

What to do ? I suggested we check the big Builders Merchant dealers around and see if we can find some 3mm ... 4mm plywood for motor mounts etc. Something that my Home town has not. Nope .. nothing.

But walking past an aisle ... I saw something that I just had to buy .......

A small table circular saw ... $60 .... so with a fine tooth blade disc as well - I walked out with a tool I'd been looking for ages ... I can now strip my own spars etc. from stock wood local shop !
Added to my bench scroll saw ... I'm well on way !!
Be interesting to see how long it lasts !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 01-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,181 Times in 2,088 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (314)

Can I borrow your small table circular saw Nigel Ok Just kidding, I was looking in to one of those too, they are neet, Take care and have fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Nice find! I've been thinking of buying a small scroll saw - something I never would have thought in a million years that I would want of have a use for.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Nice find! I've been thinking of buying a small scroll saw - something I never would have thought in a million years that I would want of have a use for.
Bench scroll saws are great - BUT you have to cut SLOOOOOW ... if you start to push - the blade will flex and cut is then angled. Also only thin material. The scroll saw also needs FIRM fixing as they vibrate !
Dremel Motoshop was my first and best ... came with flexy drive attachment as well.

Combination of table saw and bench scroll saw gives me a package that now means I can sort my own spars and parts ... from wood I choose.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 01-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Can I borrow your small table circular saw Nigel Ok Just kidding, I was looking in to one of those too, they are neet, Take care and have fun, Chellie
If we were closer - you'd be welcome to use ...

It's only a cheap Polish machine - but the important factor is - It works.

Today I bought lengths of wood ready to start making the spars for my Lancaster ...

Nigel

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	saw 002.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	165342  

Old 01-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Like all good things ....

Just as I'm sorting out to start spars / formers etc ... I get message that air-tickets waiting at airport ... of on another assignment - Singapore again.

Lanc will have to wait a bit ... but it gives me time to think through a few things.

eg : I have Clark Y wing form. A dihedral break inboard of outer motor. I have to devise strong form to carry the motor / drive forces for each nacelle as well as carry the joint of the dihedral break. The nacelles will NOT be carrying weight of LiPo's or ESC's ... they will be at wing centre. But inboard nacelles will have retracts to carry.
So do I create vertical stiffening or horizontal of the nacelles ?

Nigel

Old 01-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
Henry Sistrunk

View Henry Sistrunk's Gallery69
Awards Showcase

1kW  2kW 
Friends: (13)

I have had this table saw for years. I don't think they make it any longer. It is a very handy tool.
Henry

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0002.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	165343  
Old 01-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Henry Sistrunk View Post
I have had this table saw for years. I don't think they make it any longer. It is a very handy tool.
Henry
The Dremel 4" was what I really wanted .... but as you say - no longer available.

I gave away my Dremel Motoshop when I got divorced years ago ... what a mistake !

Nigel

Old 01-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
Henry Sistrunk

View Henry Sistrunk's Gallery69
Awards Showcase

1kW  2kW 
Friends: (13)

Not sure but I think they are no longer available, but you are welcome to " drive over" and use mine.
Henry
Old 01-05-2013, 04:23 AM   #10
BroncoSquid
Workin on it...

Club: Bill G fan club!
Friends: (4)

4" table saw from Harbor Freight?
I love my scroll saw for all kinds of balsa and hard wood strips. I use higher tpi blades for the soft stuff. Slow cuts are ok, I have time not money.

I'm either going to get good at flying em, or get good at fixin em!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #11
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by BroncoSquid View Post
4" table saw from Harbor Freight?
I love my scroll saw for all kinds of balsa and hard wood strips. I use higher tpi blades for the soft stuff. Slow cuts are ok, I have time not money.
Yeah
I've got a 10 inch two wheel Delta bandsaw that works very well for cutting balsa, and a whole lot of other stuff.

Put in a 1.5 HP 120 VDC motor in it with a variable speed control with feedback. That allows using a metal cutting blade, and using it to cut steel and aluminum bar stock.

That motor was from the Surplus Center, and is no longer available anywhere. Wish I'd have bought two of them when they had them.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #12
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I think you guys will agree that once you have such on your bench - the world opens up ... no longer restricted to shops decision on wood ... versatility ... etc.

The table circular saw I bought - I also bought a fine TPI disc ...

Nigel

Old 01-08-2013, 07:00 AM   #13
starcad
Model Designer

View starcad's Gallery14
Friends: (5)

Here are a couple more

http://www.amazon.com/SE-4in-Minatur.../dp/B000SNM32W

http://www.micromark.com/microlux-mi...-saw,6936.html

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft