Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
matiac
What, me worry?

Club: A.M.A. Member, not currently affliliated with a club
Friends: (2)
Default Dual Identity

I've been hanging around a few R.C. forums, add my nonsense to some, and I've noticed that there's actually quite a few musicians that fly, guitarists in particular. I play myself, been in and out of a couple bands through the years, now just plunk on my Strat whenever I feel like pissing off the neighbors (back to my childhood??), and endeavoring to build my own Les Paul guitar, as well as flying R.C. Planes/Helicopters, we (me and my Son) also have an R.C. Boat, and an older Monster Truck that get just as much time as the aircraft. Just something I noticed...

R.C. Hobby is a hole into which one dumps money.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
DCDetector

View DCDetector's Gallery25
Friends: (1)

I've been playing guitar a few years myself. Played my first gig in 1969 and my last in 1989. Played everything from country to metal in that time. Now I just play and record on my own.

Started flying back in the late 70's early 80's when electric just wasn't a feasible option. Built most my own planes which I enjoyed back then, but today I'd rather spend the money for a RTF and spend my time flying.

My first guitar.

My current axes.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
dgjessing

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assoc.
Friends: (0)

I'm not much of a player, but I make a lot of ukuleles - http://www.wsukes.com/

Dave
AMA #56519
Old 01-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
matiac
What, me worry?

I used to have a Norlin era Les Paul almost exactly like the one on the left. The biggest my "stable" ever got was 7 electrics, 2 acoustics, a banjo, and a mandolin I still have, everything else was stolen, guess they figured they wouldn't get any coke off the mandolin, so they left it, took everything else. That was right about the time I got out of the whole music thing from that perspective, now just have my digital 8 track, my Strat, a couple combo amps, and do my own recording thing too. My stuff can be heard at www.soundclick.com/TheFullSkinny, been posting stuff there since 2004, have something like 100 original songs, all "off the cuff", nothing was written, just did them all...

Old 01-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
DCDetector

View DCDetector's Gallery25

I have some of my stuff on Kompoz.

http://www.kompoz.com/compose-collab...memberId=22687
Old 01-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
matiac
What, me worry?

Originally Posted by dgjessing View Post
I'm not much of a player, but I make a lot of ukuleles - http://www.wsukes.com/
My Daughter has a Ukelele that's shaped like a Telecaster, she almost bought one of those Epiphone Les Paul Ukes, acoustic/electric, and it DOES look like a tiny Les Paul, but she went for the "Tele" instead. Had to teach her how to tune it..."MY-DOG-HAS-FLEAS" is what my Aunt taught me when you tune 'em. Can't wait to get that Les Paul put together, got all the electronics, hardware, etc., just need to glue the neck up, color it (gonna be faded "Desert Burst"), gonna be badass when it's done. Now I need to go fly my Quad around the kitchen (keeping it in context here) and scare the cats...

Old 01-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

My youngest son was taught to play Guitar by the ex Bass Guitarist of the group SHADOWS .... famous for their music : Apache, The Deer Hunter etc.
They were originally the backing group for Sir Cliff Richard ... Hank Marvin being the Lead Guitarist ... a legend in his own time.

My son is lead guitar and vocals for group SLM ... who have music online...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 01-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
LowThudd

Friends: (0)

I play guitar, bass and drums. I try to sing well. lol I am currently attempting to learn Sax. Not the easiest instrument to play.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

View CrimzonRider's Gallery18
Friends: (14)

Thinking its good to be "dual"!!! IMO both "hobbies" require different brains for left and right hands!!..I learned about 20 years ago, got too busy w work/life, recently been playin pretty regularly for about a year.

cr

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	179.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	165347  
Old 01-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #10
matiac
What, me worry?

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
My youngest son was taught to play Guitar by the ex Bass Guitarist of the group SHADOWS .... famous for their music : Apache, The Deer Hunter etc.
They were originally the backing group for Sir Cliff Richard ... Hank Marvin being the Lead Guitarist ... a legend in his own time.

My son is lead guitar and vocals for group SLM ... who have music online...

Nigel
THE Shadows? It'd be a honor for ANY of them to teach guitar to someone, especially Mr. Marvin. I'm VERY familiar with the Shadows...GOD, that's going back a stretch...but ya see how many musically inclined people came outta the woodwork so far?? I'm thinking it's due to the fact that most if not all of us already have the whole "hand/eye" thing down pat, just applying it to something else is the challenge, and for me, flying is like learning a new song...I LOVE a challenge! I never tire of it...

Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #11
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,181 Times in 2,088 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (314)

Originally Posted by LowThudd View Post
I play guitar, bass and drums. I try to sing well. lol I am currently attempting to learn Sax. Not the easiest instrument to play.
I love to listen to the Sax check out these vids. I play the Drums and love to P Off the neighbors

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #12
tr4252

Friends: (3)

I play guitar too, have a bunch in the closet that don't get out much anymore. Built a few too. Matiac, where are you getting your parts from?

Tom
Old 01-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #13
matiac
What, me worry?

Stew-Mac for stuff like tuners, wires and the caps for the tone pots, vintage wiring all from them, the pickups are from a guy in upstate N.Y. named Mick (Manlius Pickups) who custom built them for my specific application, the guitar body's outta Ohio from an outfit online called "Bulldog", so far just with parts and the body I've got about 700 bucks into it, still need the finish colors, lacquer, etc., still can't decide whether to epoxy the neck, or glue it, I have both...might just glue it in case I ever need to pull the neck off...

Old 01-05-2013, 03:13 AM   #14
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by matiac View Post
I've been hanging around a few R.C. forums, add my nonsense to some, and I've noticed that there's actually quite a few musicians that fly, guitarists in particular. I play myself, been in and out of a couple bands through the years, now just plunk on my Strat whenever I feel like pissing off the neighbors (back to my childhood??), and endeavoring to build my own Les Paul guitar, as well as flying R.C. Planes/Helicopters, we (me and my Son) also have an R.C. Boat, and an older Monster Truck that get just as much time as the aircraft. Just something I noticed...
I've no idea if these are quality instruments after they are finished, or if they are just plain junk.

Take a look:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/category/235040

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Heir...itar-Kit/H8070

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:45 AM   #15
matiac
What, me worry?

I've seen some finished Grizzly's...depending on the Luthier they can be pretty nice. This Bulldog outfit I went with I totally stumbled on his site, he has Les Paul/SG/Junior style bodies, I almost went with an SG, but wanted a burst finish, and SGs don't look right to me with that type of finish, although Gibson DOES do some models in Bursts. Initially wanted to do a "Hot-Rod '54" Les Paul, but he drilled tailpiece holes in the body, so I gotta go with a stopbar unless I cork the holes, and maybe do a Goldtop finish, ain't really decided on what it's gonna look like yet...

Old 01-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #16
slipstick
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 

It's always been the same around aeromodellers, even back 50 years ago when I started. The common themes seem to be modelling plus music and/or motorbikes or cars. I used to do a bit of car racing and I play guitars, bass, sitar, mandolin, uke, and assorted keyboards, all with more enthusiasm than skill, and just for a complete change of pace I'm trying to learn the flute.

I'm better at electronics than woodwork so I let people who know what they're doing build my guitars....I used to build my own synthesisers a few years ago though .

Steve

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions