Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-05-2012, 01:06 AM   #1101
SportsFans

Club: HHLD
Friends: (0)

Old 07-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #1102
SportsFans

Club: HHLD

Glow is where it's at for me! Just can't get enough of the smell, sound and smoke!!!! It's amazing how these engines run...though I've always been a engine nut, just ask my Jr High school small engine shop teacher

the slim actually can be used for lotion!!
Old 07-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #1103
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (14)

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
I wouldn't have one in my planes. Just lectrics.
When they take your bike away and your riding a electrict scooter tell me how much you miss you gas motors . Heres mine and it will just like most of my planes it never go to electrict. I do own e-planes but they will never replace my nitro and gas birds . joe

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	road king 97.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	161129
Old 07-06-2012, 01:02 AM   #1104
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (67)

I think I have posted here before,

But its 100% electric flying for me. Never going back.

I watch guys fuss and stress with starters and equipment (irony how a gas motor still needs an electric motor to go?). Taxi all the way to the end of the runway only to throttle up and poop out, and do the walk of shame to go fetch it.

My ears dont ring anymore, my new truck doesn't stink, and my flying fuel costs are subsidized by my electric bill. I still respect the gas guys, but maybe because I'm 50 (today), I really enjoy the quiet at the all electric field now.

But I will add this... Had it not been for an all electric field so amazingly close to my home to become affiliated with, I'd still be coming home with oily wet socks and shoes. An unwelcome change that enhanced my love of flying RC.

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 07-06-2012, 03:12 AM   #1105
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Nitro,

Happy Birthday ! When you turn 50, you become "invisible" if you know what I mean.

I'm with you on electrics. When I'm at the field around the gassers, I really feel I need ear protection. The obnoxious run-ups kill me. Now ,if their gassers sounded more like Merlins, it would be different but they sound more like Lawn Boys on steroids.

The advantage of gas powered of course is that for the most part, the planes are higher performing with longer flight times than equivalent electrics. I don't see electrics totally replacing gas in the near future but I do see electrics bringing more people into the hobby who otherwise would stay away because of gas and all of the fuss it brings with it. For me, 5 minutes is plenty of flight time.

There are even some less expensive sound systems now emerging that can provide a more scale experience. Merlin, Continental, Lycoming, etc. Watch for this to be a next big thing in electrics.- " Blub,blub blub..." Give me that Merlin sound, not a fricking chain saw !

That and better battery solutions than Lipo coming in the future. Lipo was a major jump over NIMH. There will be another major jump coming. When you start getting into the 5 and 6S Lipo's, you're talking money. Gas is still more cost effective in the upper power curve.This will eventually flip. A typical 15 minute flight costs about $5.00 in fuel.Think about it. There's about 745 watts for 1 HP. 1490 watts = 2hp. Very do-able but the costs of the esc's and batteries will need to come down.

So, I'm all-in for the electric world.

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 01-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #1106
HiSpeedTrkr

elektric is all ifly!! Them lil gas kars dy iffin tha don get otta my wa!!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #1107
High Plains Thumper

Talking

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Nitro, Happy Birthday ! When you turn 50, you become "invisible" if you know what I mean. [...] Now ,if their gassers sounded more like Merlins, it would be different but they sound more like Lawn Boys on steroids.
I like the Lawn Boy sound on steroids.

- Invisible HPT
Old 01-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #1108
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

When you get to BIG rc planes like my 1/3 scale cub on floats it costs twice as much to buy electrict motors and batterys for them . I dont take it out alot because of its size so a gas motor is perfect for it and flys it very scale also . joe
Old 01-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #1109
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

I can buy an electric system to replace a 50 cc sized gasser for the price of the gas motor. You can guess from where. This one at 22 lbs and 109 in wingspan had a Quadra 52 in it with about about the same performance. The 22 in prop makes about the same noise as a big 4 stroker.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cub Pacer 004.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	165376

Name:	Cub Pacer 001.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	165377

Gord.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #1110
dgholmes59

I doubt it. There are advantages and disadvantages to all of them. And, if you have never flown a 33% plane with a 55cc GAS engines, you should really try it. Those big birds are fun, fun, fun to fly. Of course there is the size when transporting and require a larger space to fly. Other than that, the big birds are almost as convenient to fly as electrics.

The nitros were fun for a while, but I personally got tired of the castor oil all over the plane and having to wipe them down at the end of the day. The oil gets every where and in places you can't clean easily. Also, the amount of equipment to keep them running is just too much. When I got my gas planes I quit flying my nitro planes and eventually sold them.

I recently just got into electrics. I really like the convenience and being able to fly in the park without driving to our flying field. Their flying time is, however, less than my gas birds on a full tank.

My gas birds take a can of gas and a screwdriver to fly. The electrics take many batteries, charger, a deep cycle battery, and a volt meter to check batteries. So the electrics take a little more equipment. But still, both are very convenient to fly.

The big birds fly better in higher winds than the electrics (I fly smaller electrics to keep the cost down. Large electrics get real expensive quick).

Both do not require cleaning castor oil from the complete airframe at the end of the day. I finally sold all my nitro planes because the Gas and Electric were so much more convenient and required less support equipment. Mainly due to the cost of nitro and having to clean the castor oil from the plane.

Nitro engines may be on there way out given the gas engine technology now days and the price of nitro fuel. But I believe gas and electric are alive and well and will be around for a long time. I really don't see electrics taking over. I like both, but if I had to choose between gas or electric, I would keep my gas birds. Mainly because of the cost of batteries, charger and other support equipment to keep electrics of equivalent size flying during a day of flying. A half gallon of gas goes a long ways. My 2 cents.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #1111
dgholmes59

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Nitro,
Gas is still more cost effective in the upper power curve.This will eventually flip. A typical 15 minute flight costs about $5.00 in fuel.Think about it. There's about 745 watts for 1 HP. 1490 watts = 2hp. Very do-able but the costs of the esc's and batteries will need to come down.

So, I'm all-in for the electric world.

-Hawk
$5 many be close for nitro, but big birds with 55cc DLE on gas (car gas) will fly probably 2.5-3 hours depending on my flying habits. Very economical to fly. There is a large difference when discussing nitro vs gas. Nitro is $20/gallon and gas is $3.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #1112
HiSpeedTrkr

Talking

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
When you get to BIG rc planes like my 1/3 scale cub on floats it costs twice as much to buy electrict motors and batterys for them . I dont take it out alot because of its size so a gas motor is perfect for it and flys it very scale also . joe
Chep guyz shud juss tak up a chep hobbie lik buttrflie collectin, LOL
Old 01-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #1113
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

OK Here's a bit of a breakdown. All stuff from HK and in about 4 yrs use. Two complete systems. I toasted one esc when I didn't have things hooked up right.
3000 watt motor $109.00 Equivalent to the motors I have as they are superceded
batts 130.00 for two 5000 watt Rhinos.
80 amp ESC $73.58
Turnigy UBEC $16.45
Total $329.03
A 55 DLE is $ 399.95.
Mind you, I have to put gas in my little 1000 watt generator. but it runs all day on a couple of quarts of gas. Takes 1/2 an hr to charge the big batts. That's when I fly my weeny foamys and such.
Gord.

Gord.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #1114
High Plains Thumper

Talking

Originally Posted by HiSpeedTrkr View Post
Like this butterfly?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYXJ4&P=0

Old 01-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #1115
dgholmes59

Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
OK Here's a bit of a breakdown. All stuff from HK and in about 4 yrs use. Two complete systems. I toasted one esc when I didn't have things hooked up right.
3000 watt motor $109.00 Equivalent to the motors I have as they are superceded
batts 130.00 for two 5000 watt Rhinos.
80 amp ESC $73.58
Turnigy UBEC $16.45
Total $329.03
A 55 DLE is $ 399.95.
Mind you, I have to put gas in my little 1000 watt generator. but it runs all day on a couple of quarts of gas. Takes 1/2 an hr to charge the big batts. That's when I fly my weeny foamys and such.
Gord.
Looks like I was wrong on cost. Not bad at all. What do you use to charge these big batteries at the field? As I said, I just got into electrics and still learning. No one really flies electrics at my field but me.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:47 PM   #1116
HiSpeedTrkr

Originally Posted by High Plains Thumper View Post
Nope, loks lik a girl plane LOL!! Thatz whatt u fli?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #1117
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by HiSpeedTrkr View Post
I hope you are just kidding with your spelling or is this the way you normaly spell ? You can now buy a chineeze 2 cycle motor for a 1/3 scale cub for around 300 bucks and run it all day on a gallon or two of gas . It takes to long to charge big batterys for this size plane at the field so you would need more than a couple batterys if you want to fly 3 or 4 times at the field. I like multi electrict motor planes so one or two nitro motors dont stop while flying but if its a big plane gas it the only way to go for now. It might change in years to come but its still a ways off for me.I fly all three nitro electrict and gas and dont plan on changing anytime soon.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #1118
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

I use two Eco 6-10 chargers from HK. The 6-10 means they can charge up to 6 cells and up to 10 amps. A good 25 amp power supply is needed too. Also available at HK. It's a fairly big layout to get started but very economical in the long run. Here's the front end of my Yellow Aircraft 1/4 scale Cap 10-B that Ive had for many yrd with a Quadra 42 in it. Weightwise this radio system weighs about the same as the 42/50 sized engines, so no CG problems to cope with. As you see on the Cap, the batts are under the motor where they get good cooling. This is a very aerobatic plane as it only weighs about 16 lbs. Another 1/4 scale plane I have electrified is an Australian Ultralite , Corby Starlett not quite trimmed out yet. This also had the Q42 in it. Here's the pic of a Starlett, but not mine. Another good worker is this Cristen Eagle. Had it for many yrs too and converted. It's completely foam Probably one of the biggest foamies.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gord_Cap 1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	165385

Name:	Cap & square foot 002.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	165386

Name:	Corby Starlet.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	165387

Name:	Gord and his Christen Eagle.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	165388

Gord.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #1119
dgholmes59

Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
I use two Eco 6-10 chargers from HK. The 6-10 means they can charge up to 6 cells and up to 10 amps. A good 25 amp power supply is needed too. Also available at HK. It's a fairly big layout to get started but very economical in the long run. Here's the front end of my Yellow Aircraft 1/4 scale Cap 10-B that Ive had for many yrd with a Quadra 42 in it. Weightwise this radio system weighs about the same as the 42/50 sized engines, so no CG problems to cope with. As you see on the Cap, the batts are under the motor where they get good cooling. This is a very aerobatic plane as it only weighs about 16 lbs. Another 1/4 scale plane I have electrified is an Australian Ultralite , Corby Starlett not quite trimmed out yet. This also had the Q42 in it. Here's the pic of a Starlett, but not mine. Another good worker is this Cristen Eagle. Had it for many yrs too and converted. It's completely foam Probably one of the biggest foamies.
Thanks for letting me know what chargers you use and the pics. I was curious about the CG issue with electric vs the gas motor. Those are some nice size planes. I love big planes.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #1120
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Yeah, I don't fly the big ones a lot, mostly funflys and such.. Just the hastle of puting them together and apart.

Gord.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #1121
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by dgholmes59 View Post
Looks like I was wrong on cost. Not bad at all. What do you use to charge these big batteries at the field? As I said, I just got into electrics and still learning. No one really flies electrics at my field but me.
Yup
That's the way I started out in my club some 5 years ago, as the only guy flying electrics. We still have our gassers, as many members that were flying glow have gone to the smaller gasoline engines.

Now, with the high performance of these electric motors, a lot more of them are also flying electrics. Case in point, our New Years day fly-in had some 20 of of those electric guided missile foamie jets, and having a real ball in 18 degree F weather. Two guys had glow engines, one never got his started, the other got it started only to quit over the plowed field.

Around here in the summer time, when the wind is over 15-20 MPH, the giant scale models get parked, and out come those foamie electric jets.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #1122
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by dgholmes59 View Post
What do you use to charge these big batteries at the field?
I've had good luck flying models around one kilowatt and smaller with a Cellpro charger, and a 120 Ampere Hour deep cycle battery. One of those batteries will last perhaps a year before it has to be replaced.

As for those Cellpro chargers, I've got a Cellpro Powerlab 8, other club members have the Cellpro Powerlab 6, two guys have the Cellpro 10xP charger. All are quite happy with them.

When you get into the giant scale models, with 2500 or 3000 watt motors, field charging becomes a big issue if you don't have 120 VAC available. You will only get two or maybe three flights out a 120 Amp Hour deep cycle battery before it has to be recharged. Been there, done that. When you get into 2500 or 3000 watt motors, the price to outfit your model skyrockets. (But they do fly very nicely!)

Take a look:
Giant Scale electric motors vs Gasoline Engines
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58035

Harbor Freight Gasoline/Alternator Setup
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66066,

Great Planes Giant Big Stick Electric Conversion
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65052

Giant Scale Cessna Model
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66414

Thread on 70 size glow engine conversion to electric
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45222

Hacker 6S2P A123 powered Models
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44686

AEAJR's Site on Electric Power
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18521

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #1123
High Plains Thumper

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
I hope you are just kidding with your spelling or is this the way you normaly spell ?
It's a troll RK, not worth responding to.

You can now buy a chineeze 2 cycle motor for a 1/3 scale cub for around 300 bucks and run it all day on a gallon or two of gas. It takes to long to charge big batterys for this size plane at the field so you would need more than a couple batterys if you want to fly 3 or 4 times at the field. I like multi electrict motor planes so one or two nitro motors dont stop while flying but if its a big plane gas it the only way to go for now. It might change in years to come but its still a ways off for me.I fly all three nitro electrict and gas and dont plan on changing anytime soon.
They got some smaller ignition gas motors in .52 and .60 (9 and 10 cc) sizes now. One gets over 20 minutes on just 8 ounces of fuel. One doesn't need a larger plane to fly ignition. Horizon has the Evo .60. These smaller engines have caught my attention.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #1124
DCDetector

View DCDetector's Gallery25

As someone who started with gas/glow and remembers very well the frustrations of trying get make them run, and carrying around a 30 LB carrying box full of goodies just to make them run, I can't see why anyone would want to run gas over electric.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #1125
High Plains Thumper

Oh, in the club we have experienced fliers, many who have gone electric. So DCDetector, you are not alone. I have many nitro motors and have learned to cope with the idiosyncrasies of I.C. engines. One of these days I'll convert, but for now they suffice for me.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions