Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-07-2008, 02:27 AM   #1
jschall

Friends: (0)
Default Rudder gyro?

How much benefit would I get out of attaching a gyro to the rudder servo of a HZ super cub?
What gyro would be best? How much do they cost?
Old 12-07-2008, 03:02 AM   #2
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

View groundrushesup's Gallery45
Club: Hill Country Wattheads
Send a message via AIM to groundrushesup
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by Pie-rate View Post
How much benefit would I get out of attaching a gyro to the rudder servo of a HZ super cub?
What gyro would be best? How much do they cost?
Ummm, none?

Not trying to be a wiseacre here, but can you explain what benefit you foresee and perhaps what result you are looking for with an electronic stabilization device such as a gyro?

GRU

Everybody's Somebody at The Hill Country Watthead's Thread!
Stop in and see what we're up to!

Visit Our Youtube Channel, too!
Old 12-07-2008, 03:14 AM   #3
jschall

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
Ummm, none?

Not trying to be a wiseacre here, but can you explain what benefit you foresee and perhaps what result you are looking for with an electronic stabilization device such as a gyro?

GRU
Yaw stability, especially for extra wind resistance.

From what I've read, a rudder gyro helps keep the plane steady, especially in wind. Since there's never "no wind" (especially not where I live), this would seem like the perfect mod for me.
Edit for clarification: I'm not trying to fly in high wind, I just want it to fly a little bit smoother in a slight breeze.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:37 AM   #4
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

1kW 

Yaw stability, especially for extra wind resistance.

From what I've read, a rudder gyro helps keep the plane steady, especially in wind. Since there's never "no wind" (especially not where I live), this would seem like the perfect mod for me.
Edit for clarification: I'm not trying to fly in high wind, I just want it to fly a little bit smoother in a slight breeze.
I see. I suppose it would work, but from what I've read most gyro applications on rudders are to control ground-looping on stubby fuselages, mostly scale birds that can get out of hand easily. With the super cub and its forgiving nature, I'm not sure how much yaw suppression you will get.

For lateral stability (dunno if you have modded your cub with ailerons yet) a gyro can be used on the aileron channel and that works well but most people I have talked to like to have it set up so they can turn the gyro off at will.

For instance - if you have a gyro on the rudder and you use your ailerons, the rudder will fight the bank unless you actively 'coordinate' the turn with rudder input, certainly not a desirable result to have the plane fighting itself.

As for the tyoe of Gyro, I dunno - a heading hold gyro is a good bet but all of 'em are almost as expensive as the Cub itself... Or one of the smaller futaba types like the GY190...

Good Luck

GRU

Old 12-07-2008, 03:50 AM   #5
jschall

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
I see. I suppose it would work, but from what I've read most gyro applications on rudders are to control ground-looping on stubby fuselages, mostly scale birds that can get out of hand easily. With the super cub and its forgiving nature, I'm not sure how much yaw suppression you will get.

For lateral stability (dunno if you have modded your cub with ailerons yet) a gyro can be used on the aileron channel and that works well but most people I have talked to like to have it set up so they can turn the gyro off at will.

For instance - if you have a gyro on the rudder and you use your ailerons, the rudder will fight the bank unless you actively 'coordinate' the turn with rudder input, certainly not a desirable result to have the plane fighting itself.

As for the tyoe of Gyro, I dunno - a heading hold gyro is a good bet but all of 'em are almost as expensive as the Cub itself... Or one of the smaller futaba types like the GY190...

Good Luck

GRU
Is an ikarus master gyro suitable? I found it for $29
Old 12-07-2008, 03:55 AM   #6
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

1kW 

Is an ikarus master gyro suitable? I found it for $29
Dunno chief - but I think Hobby Lobby sells ikarus stuff right? You might wanna drop an email to their support staff, they are good guys and will let you know the deal.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:44 AM   #7
jschall

Just wondering what sort of results I'd see with a gyro on the rudder in the following cases:
- On the ground. Would it hold a straight line significantly better with a gyro?
- On water. With floats and a water rudder, would the gyro keep it steady during the transition from water to air, preventing a wingtip from dipping in the water?
- And of course, in the air. Would it fly better in wind? It'd basically do it's best to keep the body of the plane pointed in approximately the same direction, right?

I realize the only way I'll truly understand what characteristics a gyro would change on the plane is to buy one and try it. I'm just trying to get a feel for whether it's really worth trying.

What about on the elevator? That'd be interesting to try as well.

Edit: oh and for clarification, I don't plan on adding ailerons to the cub. If I was going to get a 4ch radio, I'd probably get another plane, and move the gyro to it... Hmm, speaking of that upgrade route, are there any gyros that would function for both the ailerons on a 4ch plane and the rudder on a 3ch plane?
Old 12-08-2008, 08:13 AM   #8
jschall

Well never mind, I just realized the servos in the cub aren't proper servos. they've got 5 wires, which I assume means they're motors with potentiometers, and the receiver unit does all the thinking for them.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #9
rcrookie

Hi I've installed one on my super cub as i felt it's difficult to control my plane in high winds. Details below,

Brand: Detrum GY48V headklock gyro for 3D Helicopters
Price: $12.7
Purchased From: Hobbypartz.com

This was the cheapest gyro I could find and there was a nice video about installing this gyro on rc planes, below is the link

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1035605

and yes as you have mentioned the servos in the supercub aren't digital but still you can use this gyro for a analog servo by switching of the 'DS' mode in the gyro. I am yet to test flying my super cub with the gyro on it, on ground it works find i have tried moving my cub on it's yaw axis and the gyro seems to work fine, i ll update this thread with the flying results.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

From my experience with Gyros on planes I think you might find it makes rudder response quite sluggish, but it will help hold it straight on take off etc. A lot depends on how high you set the gain.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers

Tags
gyro , rudder