Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
rc.antz

Friends: (0)
Question can i blow up my receiver?

hi: just looking for a quick answer to a question on my mind i have a "planet t5 2.4GHz 5-channel transmitter" which also came bundled with a "R6M 2.4GHz micro 6-channel receiver" manual came with recommendations such as to use a "NiMH 4.8v aa-2100 flat" and not to operate the R6M receiver below 4.4v my question is, what is the best battery pack in the market now (jan 2013) that i can use with this R6M? and if i use anything above the 4.8v recommendation, will it blow up the R6M? some background on me: RC flight is something i look forward to being in. i know there's a lot of reading material that covers the question i'm asking, but i think it's supplemental stuff to whatever i learn directly from someone who'd be willing to talk to me about what i have specifically. for the most part, i'm just too excited and i want to get flying already. i look forward to learning more with the wattflyer forums and one day provide useful input to the community. thanks in advance
Old 01-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
slipstick
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (1)

If you're planning on using it in an electric model then it's likely that the ESC (speed control) you use to drive the motor will have a BEC circuit which supplies 5V to the receiver from the main power battery. No separate battery for the receiver needed.

Steve
Old 01-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)
Cool

I am going to reformat your message to make it easier for me to answer.

Originally Posted by rc.antz View Post
hi: just looking for a quick answer to a question on my mind i have a "planet t5 2.4GHz 5-channel transmitter" which also came bundled with a "R6M 2.4GHz micro 6-channel receiver"
Never heard of this radio receiver. Did you buy this as a package or did it come with an RTF airplane?

manual came with recommendations such as to use a "NiMH 4.8v aa-2100 flat" and not to operate the R6M receiver below 4.4v
Pretty standard recommendation. Most receivers willo work with either 4.8V packs or 6V packs, but I can not be certain about yours.

my question is, what is the best battery pack in the market now (jan 2013) that i can use with this R6M? and if i use anything above the 4.8v recommendation, will it blow up the R6M?
BEST? Always an opinion, but frankly this is not a big deal. Any 4 or 5 cell AA pack should work.

But as Steve stated above, if you plan to put this in an electric airplane with an ESC, electroncis Speed Control, it will likey have a BEC on the ESC that will supply 5V to the receiver and you won't need that receiver pack.

some background on me: RC flight is something i look forward to being in. i know there's a lot of reading material that covers the question i'm asking, but i think it's supplemental stuff to whatever i learn directly from someone who'd be willing to talk to me about what i have specifically. for the most part, i'm just too excited and i want to get flying already. i look forward to learning more with the wattflyer forums and one day provide useful input to the community. thanks in advance
It would be best if you gave us the rest of the picture. What are you planning to put this receiver in and what is the rest of the electronics that you plan to attach to it.

And be sure to start reading these. It will answer most of your questions.

EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ELECTRIC POWERED FLIGHT
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31368

> Six Keys to Success
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 01-08-2013, 12:37 AM   #4
rc.antz

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
Never heard of this radio receiver. Did you buy this as a package or did it come with an RTF airplane?
http://www.jperkinsdistribution.co.u...lanet%202.4GHz

it came with:

just wanted to see if anyone reading might be also using what i have

BEST? Always an opinion, but frankly this is not a big deal. Any 4 or 5 cell AA pack should work.

But as Steve stated above, if you plan to put this in an electric airplane with an ESC, electroncis Speed Control, it will likey have a BEC on the ESC that will supply 5V to the receiver and you won't need that receiver pack.
i just wanted to know if i'm restricted to using a NiMH or if i'm able to use the other sorts of batteries available out there with the specific receiver i have. also i'd take recommendations and gauge it with other available battery packs when i shop around for parts

It would be best if you gave us the rest of the picture. What are you planning to put this receiver in and what is the rest of the electronics that you plan to attach to it.
i'm actually looking to start from scratch: a lot of members on the foamies are inspiring me to start my own project.

at this point, i only have receiver and transmitter as mentioned above and a funky plane design in my head

if anyone reading this could also give a recommended shopping list for servos, battery packs, ESC, motor or any stuff i'd need to start my first foam plane with the receiver/transmitter i already have, it'd be much appreciated.

And be sure to start reading these. It will answer most of your questions.

EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ELECTRIC POWERED FLIGHT
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31368

> Six Keys to Success
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18
yup: while i was starting this thread, i already had these links open. alt+tabbing in between work hours, but i'm still not done
Old 01-08-2013, 12:48 AM   #5
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Cool

it came with:

just wanted to see if anyone reading might be also using what i have

i just wanted to know if i'm restricted to using a NiMH or if i'm able to use the other sorts of batteries available out there with the specific receiver i have. also i'd take recommendations and gauge it with other available battery packs when i shop around for parts

i'm actually looking to start from scratch: a lot of members on the foamies are inspiring me to start my own project.

at this point, i only have receiver and transmitter as mentioned above and a funky plane design in my head

if anyone reading this could also give a recommended shopping list for servos, battery packs, ESC, motor or any stuff i'd need to start my first foam plane with the receiver/transmitter i already have, it'd be much appreciated.

yup: while i was starting this thread, i already had these links open. alt+tabbing in between work hours, but i'm still not done
Oh, you are in the UK. You should add that to your profile as you will get a lot of answeres that are USA based and do not apply in the UK. Or we will send you to sources here rather than the UK.

As for servos and such. That comes after you tell us about the design of the plane.

5" wing span? 5 foot wing span? 15 foot wing span?

2 ounces? 2 pounds? 20 pounds?

Can't answer anything about servos, ESC, motors or batteries till we know the design. But based on your radio selection it will have to be a small aircraft as your radio/receiver seems to be short range.

From the product description:

The Planet T5 transmitter and R6M micro receiver have been designed for crystal-free operation with Park Flyer, indoor aircraft and small electric-type models.

That implies short range. Probably less than 500 and maybe less than 300 feet.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 01-08-2013, 01:54 AM   #6
rc.antz

Oh, you are in the UK. You should add that to your profile as you will get a lot of answeres that are USA based and do not apply in the UK. Or we will send you to sources here rather than the UK.

As for servos and such. That comes after you tell us about the design of the plane.

5" wing span? 5 foot wing span? 15 foot wing span?

2 ounces? 2 pounds? 20 pounds?

Can't answer anything about servos, ESC, motors or batteries till we know the design. But based on your radio selection it will have to be a small aircraft as your radio/receiver seems to be short range.

From the product description:

The Planet T5 transmitter and R6M micro receiver have been designed for crystal-free operation with Park Flyer, indoor aircraft and small electric-type models.

That implies short range. Probably less than 500 and maybe less than 300 feet.

actually i'm in california. i just started the forums today and i'll come around to modifying my settings in a bit.

how about we try this: assume all the parts needed can be procured within 1 hr. from my place. with the transmitter and receiver i have, how would you go about making a simple delta wing? consider the receiver's specs:
  • Weight - 6g
  • Size - 50 x 22 x 12mm
  • Channels - 6
  • Voltage - 4.8-9.0V
  • Connector type - Standard
  • Case - Lightweight
  • Modulation type - Advanced 2.4GHz
  • Maximum Servo Amps - 3A Total
the world needs this plane up in the air within 24 hours or aliens will blow up the planet
Old 01-08-2013, 04:35 AM   #7
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

I don't design planes, I fly them.

I would go to the store, buy a Parkzone F27 Stryker PnP, put your receiver in it and fly it.

www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 01-08-2013, 05:57 AM   #8
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

... how would you go about making a simple delta wing? consider the receiver's specs:
  • Weight - 6g
  • Size - 50 x 22 x 12mm
  • Channels - 6
  • Voltage - 4.8-9.0V
  • Connector type - Standard
  • Case - Lightweight
  • Modulation type - Advanced 2.4GHz
  • Maximum Servo Amps - 3A Total
the world needs this plane up in the air within 24 hours or aliens will blow up the planet
Do a Google search for free plans. Follow the instructions.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners