Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-30-2012, 06:13 AM   #1
MaxSpeed

Friends: (0)
Default Cant get all my 4 channels to work! help Please!

Hello guys,
i am new to the whole rc world and need some help please. recently i purchased a dynam grand cruiser electric plane and after connecting everything i heard it beep twice. right after that, i found that there was only one channel working which is the throttle and all the other channels and not functioning what so ever! so, i double checked the wiring and made sure everything was connected properly then, 2 more channels got to work except for the (ALIRONs). so disconnected all the wires from the receiver once more, then plugged everything back and now i only have one channel working which is (throttle). i am currently using an old 4 channel futaba transmitter and receiver till my FS-th9x comes in. how can i get all the channels to function together? it sound to me like a programing issue, but once again i am new and do not know a lot about this. any help would be appreciate it guys.

Thanks
Old 12-30-2012, 06:37 AM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Wow. Well, especially in this case it would really help if you told us what old Futaba tx you're using. More so if you think it's a programming issue. In general, if I think I messed something up that bad in the programming, I wipe that memory slot clean and start from scratch. Another thing is to be sure you have the servos plugged in correctly.

Oh, and if that's your first rc plane.... I must tell you, I sometimes start thinking people just go trolling here and other RC forums with stories like this. Because unless you have an experienced RC pilot to help or are an extremely (Extraordinary!)rare natural at this, you will need to bring along a trash bag when you go try to fly that. Don't get me wrong, I want nothing but success for you, but that's no starter plane.

Let us know what radio that is. Good luck!
Old 12-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
MaxSpeed

i am using Futaba Skysport 4 transmitter with the Futaba FP-R127DF FM 7 channel Receiver. lol, i totally understand were your coming from as far as me being a beginner pilot and crashing the plane. however, i did fly nitro plane before and had practice with the simulator but, i dont consider myself an experienced pilot, plus this plane was a good deal i couldn't let it pass .

Thanks for your reply.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
slipstick
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (1)

That makes it a bit easier because there is no programming to go wrong in a Skysport 4.

If servos sometimes aren't working then either the transmitter or receiver are bad or, more likely, you're plugging them in wrong. If you get the servo plug the wrong way up in the receiver it doesn't work. Nothing is damaged but it won't work until you plug it in the right way round .

Steve
Old 12-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (7)

+1 on previous reply. The only thing I can think of is that you are plugging the servo connectors in upside down. This is very easy to do if you are using a Futaba rx and non-Futaba servos because Futaba use a unique servo plug design with a locating 'tab' on the side. Although the universal plugs used by every other manufacturer will fit they don't have the tab so there is nothing to prevent them going in upside down.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
kohned

Try disconnecting all your servos and trying them one by one in the throttle channel of your rx. If they work there you know the problem is in the transmitter or the receiver. The earlier suggestions about reversed servo plug are the most likely though. The servo leads will have three colors of wire, make sure they are all oriented the same as the one that is working.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
MaxSpeed

alright guys, so i did go back to double check the wiring on the receiver and sure enough everything was all mixed up! it looked like a christmas tree down there. so i got everything to be color oriented and now i have all the channel functioning perfectly.

thank you guys for all your help and comments!!
Old 01-08-2013, 12:47 AM   #8
E-Challenged

You need to understand polarity and color coding of servo wires. Modern servos have three wires and they are black or brown, red, and yellow or white. The black/brown wires are for "ground" or negative dc current(-) red wires are for postive dc current (+) and yellow or white wires are "signal" wires. Generally the three connector pins on the receiver, for each channel, are arranged with the negative or ground pin at the bottom nearest to the circuit board, the positive pin next, and the signal pin farthest from the circuit board. Usually the channels are marked 1,2,3,4, 5,6, and battery on the receiver case. ( battery pins are not normally used for electric powered models) Channel 1 is normally the aileron channel, Channel 2 is the elevator channel, Channel 3 is the throttle/speed control channel, Channel 4 is the rudder channel, Channel 5 may be used for flaps, Channel 6 may be for landing gear ( six channel receiver) All of the servo connectors and the speed control connector must be oriented with the black wire, red wire, and signal wire oriented the same way, black/brown wire on the bottom, red wire next and signal wire last If you have any of the connectors reversed, the servo will not work but will not be damaged. If you have the speed control connector in the wrong position ( not in channel 3 position) motor will not run.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #9
slipstick
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 

Colour coding information is good but that channel numbering only works for Futaba/Hitec and a few others. Spektrum and JR channels are 1- throttle, 2 -ailerons, 3 -elevator, 4 - rudder etc. There are a few other variations too, notably Airtronics who have throttle on 3 but elevator on 1 and ailerons on 2.

The RC industry may have heard of standards but they've never really cottoned on to the idea .

Steve
Old 01-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #10
E-Challenged

Many receivers have have abbreviated control markings and some have (-) (+) and signal wire indicated. If not, look for this information in the instructions that (hopefully) come with the model or the receiver.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
N42375

Club: Jackson Area Warbirds

Maxspeed, Good to here that you got all systems working on the Grand Cruise-AKA Cessna 310. Although it may not be recommende as a trainer's plane, you do not have to fear it. I have 122 flites on mine and it is one outstanding flyer. If you use a 2200, 3 cell, it will balance perfectly. The plane has a very powerful elevator, so keep the throws to a minimum. Keep the props turning on the landing, and you'll be able to make a perfect landing on the mains every time. You might want to consider adding flaps and retracts in the future if you upgrade to a 6 channel radio. The oohs and ahhs really go up when you make a low pass with the gear up!!!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions