Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Flight Simulators
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Flight Simulators Discuss computer flight simulators here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-06-2013, 02:18 AM   #1
hkeelljr

Friends: (1)
Default real flight basic problem

About three years ago I purchased the Real Flight Basic sim. and have used it without any problems until recently. Started to used it one day and got an error message and it would not boot up. Tried undown loading it and re- down loading it to no avail. Called and left a message with customer service but no word yet. Has anyone else had this problem before?
Old 01-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
max2112
Super Contributor

View max2112's Gallery59
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (13)

Originally Posted by hkeelljr View Post
About three years ago I purchased the Real Flight Basic sim. and have used it without any problems until recently. Started to used it one day and got an error message and it would not boot up. Tried undown loading it and re- down loading it to no avail. Called and left a message with customer service but no word yet. Has anyone else had this problem before?
Sorry HKjr, I haven't seen or heard of that one before. What does the error message say?

and Welcome to WattFlyer! I hope we can get you back on track.

Please call me John. I came up w/ Max2112 when I thought you were all internet predators after me Lucky Charms!!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
DCDetector

View DCDetector's Gallery25

I've installed it on a Windows XP and a Windows 7 with no issues.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
hkeelljr

The message is "Knife Edge Software installer has stopped working." And our system operates on Windows 7. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Do you have another computer to install it on such as a laptop? If it will not install on the other and you get a similar error message you know it is the software. If it does install then you know its a windows problem. Hope this helps if not a little

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
hkeelljr

Fishbonez, Yes I did try to load it to a laptop, and it didn't work. It is on another system in the house but I haven't tried to run the program with the controller yet as that unit is tied up with my youngest son. Oh well, I thank you much for the info. Maybe I can use this as an excuse to the wife,no way, to purchase something better.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
hkeelljr

Good News Fishbonez, I tried it on the other computer we have and it works! Thanks again for your input.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:13 AM   #8
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Cool
Im Glad you were able to get it to work and enjoy

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #9
Slowjohn
You can bury me after I'm done flying

Club: Just Some Friends
Awards Showcase

1kW  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (28)

I just bought a used RF Basic unit but can not get it to load to my computer. Have a Gateway running XP. I've not much knowledge of computers so if a CD doesn't auto load then I'm stumped. Anyone know what I can do?

Standing By,
SJ

Blue Skies, Calm Breezes & A Full Hanger
Makes Me A Very Happy Man
Old 07-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #10
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

First, have you checked your computer meets the requirements to run it? The requirements should be on the box or in the manual. You can get some of your computer specs by right-clicking 'My Computer' then clicking 'Properties'. What version of RF is it? If your computer can run graphic intensive video games, it should be OK as long as it meets the specs. If it's a newer version of RF and an older computer, you may not be able to run it.

By 'not auto-loading', do you mean the program isn't starting automatically when you put the disc in the drive? If that's the case, just put it in, click the 'Start' button, then 'My Computer', then double-click the CD drive and it should start.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #11
Slowjohn

Awards Showcase

1kW  Globetrotter Pilot 

Howdy xmech2k,
Yes I checked & it should work I would think. The copyright date on the RF "Basic" box is 2009 and my computer is loaded with a 2002 version of XP w/service pack 3.
You mentioned "graphic intensive video games", there's no games on my computer like that so is there a driver or something that I'm missing maybe?
I tried what you suggested but all I get is a window telling me to "Please insert a disk into drive D:." which I've already done.
Wonder if I can do w/o this infernal contraption long enough to take it to a Tech for a day or two
Second question is if I can afford it

BTW, since I can't seem to use the "Basic" version of RealFlight, I doubt I will be able to use the MS Combat simulator setup I just got the Joystick for a few weeks ago but haven't taken the time to try & install it

It's gonna get better I keep telling myself

Standing By,
SJ

Old 07-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #12
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

If it's not recognizing there is even a disk in the drive, Check the condition of the disk first. Lots of fingerprints, scratches? Maybe used as a coaster for a while? If not, could be your CD drive is bad or something in the computer itself. Are other CD's working? Try that MSCFS and see if it'll work.

These kind of graphics intensive games/sims need a good video card in the computer. Do you know if the computer even has one? Maybe you have the documentation from when you bought it, or you could try right clicking a blank part of the desktop, and clicking either 'Graphics Properties' or it may just say 'Properties'. The window that comes up, or somewhere in that window, it should name the graphics card if it has one. And then the graphics card would determine what drivers are in the computer. In this case, you're looking for a card supporting DirectX9.

I also just noticed on the RealFlight Systems Requirements page, it says you need a DVD drive. As simple as this sounds, is your computer drive DVD or CD? Gotta check the basics! That could explain your drive not recognizing the disk.

Much more than this, and it's getting out of my computer skill range, short of me driving over to your place!(That'll cost a LOT of beer!)
Old 07-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #13
Slowjohn

Awards Showcase

1kW  Globetrotter Pilot 

Some work & some don't The MSCFS disk loaded just fine but I'm not able to use either one of my USB Joysticks & one of them is brand spanking new
I still had some fun with the Combat Flight Simulator though using the keyboard & mouse

I didn't find anything about "DirectX9" under the "Graphics Properties" although under the 'Schemes' tab everything was empty except for the Color (All or True color) display. As for the drive being DVD or CD I haven't a clue. Where do I look for that

We've lost power 4 times in the last 24 hrs. It's been storming & the power company has been working on the lines just a few blocks away too so no telling what's caused me to have to re-type this 3 times so far

It'll all get better soon
Sending you a PM.

Standing By,
SJ

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Flight Simulators