Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #126
bestzhara

Friends: (0)

Hey!!....I was just teasing you guys....hope I did not offend anybody about seeing if the motor is there!!
Old 01-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #127
bestzhara

A 2200 mA 3 cell battery is great!! I use a Turnigy accucell charger should not cost you more that about 49 USD
Old 01-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #128
TopSpin

Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
Is there any information I should know about setting it up? It says in the manual to use a tool when removing prop but it does not say what tool. The local ballpark has some blacktop, so I wanted to try it with the landing gear. The radio should be in on Monday.

mattman, if you know someone who flies RC it would be a good idea to have them help you with the first couple of flights. Everyone here has given you good advice but we can't fly it for you so do get some help and I hope you njoy the hobby as much as we all do.

Flying RC is a little like golf, it looks easier than it really is and even if you have used a flight simulator it won't be the same becase in the real world the reset button is 5 minute epoxy.

The TRUTH is not always what it seems.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #129
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Friends: (3)

I really dont know anyone else in the hobby in my area. :/. The park I intend to go to has both a lot of grass and blacktop. So should I try to take off and land or hand launch and belly land?
Old 01-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #130
bestzhara

A hand launch is fine!!!....don't sound so worried...in fact I think it might just be easier. Like I said before, don't try to though it into the air, a gentle push is fine but keep the throttle at least 3/4 way open and always into the wind. The landing is always the tricky bit. But I can a sure you the Trojan is an excellent glider and won't just drop out of the sky. When you ready to come and land, take your last turn and bring it in slowly by reducing the throttle the plane will slowly loose height, which is just what you want. Don't be to concerned where it lands as long as it does!! When there is no wind you might find that the plane just wants to keep on gliding way beyond where you intended. This is where a slight breeze helps a lot to slow it down. When you find that the plane is coming in to fast. Keep the throttle level low and just ever so slightly give it a bit of up elevator to slow it down but don't do this if you to close to the ground. Cause once you very close to landing about a foot of the ground you want to flare it by giving it some up elevator it will then gently just drop to the ground so to speak. Hey don't worry okay...you not going to do it correct the first time round and you definitely not going to land it where you want it!!! The main thing is just to land it and feel proud if you manage. Its all about practice so the next time practice by going slower and see what glide speed the Trojan has. You will get it I promise you!! Remember the Trojan is a beginners plane as far as aileron training is concerned. Don't be to upset if there are some damage, like I said before there is nothing that a hot glue gun can not fix. After I am sure the first time you got on a bicycle you fell off the first couple of times!! The main thing is enjoy it...its a great hobby and soon you will be able to help somebody new to this crazy beautiful hobby........GOOD LUCK. If I where you don't even try to use the rudder at all the ailerons works just find so ignore the rudder completely. Just remember make gentle short movements.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #131
bestzhara

Oh I almost forgot try and get yourself a wind sock it really helps during the hand launch and landing. If you can not get one take any piece of thin material and tear it into a nice long thin strip and tie it to a metal pole so that you can have a good idea from where the wind comes.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #132
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Personally if you have a nice smooth grassed field or a paved area I'd say do a 'rise of ground' take off every time in preference over a hand launch. This goes double if you are flying on your own and would have to throw the plane and hold the Tx at the same time.
The T-28 is a piece of cake to take off. Just open the throttle and it will fly itself off. All you have to do is give minor rudder corrections (don't ignore the rudder!) to keep it straight, in fact if you have the nose-wheel set spot on you wont even need to do that!

I'm not saying you can't hand launch the Trojan, you can, it's not hard, but it's just something else that can very easily go wrong. Check Youtube for countless videos of dorked hand launches if in any doubt.

For landing until you are confident it's best to head for the grass, it's a lot more forgiving than a paved surface. Having flown a PZ Trojen a few times this last week I'd say it's actually not a very good glider because of it's big fat fuselage and draggy cowl. Cut the throttle and in actually descends quite quickly, all the drag works like an air-brake. This is in fact a really good thing IMHO. Planes with lots of drag and relatively poor glide performance are much easier to land compared to aerodynamically 'clean' planes that just float on almost forever hardly losing any height. Although I'd class it as a 'poor' glider in terms of gliding efficiency it has a safe and perfectly controllable glide, so gliding is certainly nothing to worry about, just don't expect sailplane like performance. It is actually better to land with a bit of power on though.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #133
TopSpin

I forgot to mention that before you try your first takeoff practise taxiing it and see if it needs right or left correction. They almost never go straight and most maiden crashes by newbies happen on takeoff. I know this because I crashed a bunch that way.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #134
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post
I forgot to mention that before you try your first takeoff practise taxiing it and see if it needs right or left correction. They almost never go straight and most maiden crashes by newbies happen on takeoff. I know this because I crashed a bunch that way.
I think there is a very good reason why newbies crash on take off a lot (actually usually shortly after taking off). Take off always comes first, it's the very first opportunity a newbie gets to crash the plane, and they often grasp that opportunity with both hands
It says nothing about how hard take-off is, with the Trojan it's about the easiest part of a flight. Once the plane is in the air it gets harder IMHO.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #135
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

And now I have another problem. The electrical outlet is broken in my car, and the plane did not come with a wal adapter so i cant charge my battery. :/ Unless I get the car fixed. But that will delay my flight by at least a week.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #136
bestzhara

The electrical outlet that you referring to is that your cigarette lighter socket? If indeed just get two crocodile clips and charge your battery directly from the car battery. Not quite sure what you referring too....good luck
Old 01-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #137
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by bestzhara View Post
just get two crocodile clips and charge your battery directly from the car battery

Just to add a word of caution/clarification ....

NEVER EVER connect a LiPo directly to a car battery

i think what bestzhara meant was to connect the charger direct to the car battery by using aligator clips onto the car battery terminals, then charge the LiPo with the charger as normal.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #138
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by bestzhara View Post
The electrical outlet that you referring to is that your cigarette lighter socket? If indeed just get two crocodile clips and charge your battery directly from the car battery. Not quite sure what you referring too....good luck
You really need to get a AC to 12vDC power supply so you can hook your charger to wall socket
Old 01-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #139
bestzhara

Sorry that is what I meant.......sorry again if I got the message across badly....not actually English speaking!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 02:41 AM   #140
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

I will find me a cig lighter socket with those gator clips. Maybe radio shack has them. Horizon has them but they are on backorder.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:30 AM   #141
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

My DX6I just came in. Wahoo!!!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #142
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

My DX6I just came in. Wahoo!!!
Nice, let us know how it works out!!! Those are good units.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #143
TopSpin

Glad to hear you bought a good radio. That will serve you well for a few years until technology changes again. Seriously though, good choice but do try to get some help for your first couple of flights.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:57 AM   #144
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

I may be going at it alone. I am not sure when I will get another saturday off to get up to the rc airfield in Deleware. And i do not know anyone in my area who is in the hobby. :/
Old 01-09-2013, 06:20 AM   #145
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Go for it. If you auger her in, at least you won't have a cheering audeience ! - LOL
Old 01-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #146
Chucksolo69

It sounds like you are very nervous and apprehensive to fly this plane. My advice is to fly your Champ a few more times, program the "Low" dual rates on your new DX6i, go out to your field, take a deep breath, and go for it. The T-28 was my first 4 channel plane and the maiden went fine for me, it was the second flight that I botched and crashed her. But, you know, the PZ T-28 Trojan is very resilient and I repaired mine and I have flown it now for almost a year with no crashes. RELAX. Just fly it.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #147
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Originally Posted by Chucksolo69 View Post
It sounds like you are very nervous and apprehensive to fly this plane. My advice is to fly your Champ a few more times, program the "Low" dual rates on your new DX6i, go out to your field, take a deep breath, and go for it. The T-28 was my first 4 channel plane and the maiden went fine for me, it was the second flight that I botched and crashed her. But, you know, the PZ T-28 Trojan is very resilient and I repaired mine and I have flown it now for almost a year with no crashes. RELAX. Just fly it.
The champ is in need of a new motor and body. Flying the T28 does not bother me too much. It's the takeoff and landing. I hear the plane is not twitchy once in the air.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #148
TopSpin

The champ is in need of a new motor and body. Flying the T28 does not bother me too much. It's the takeoff and landing. I hear the plane is not twitchy once in the air.
Matt, the Trojan is a sweetheart. It has no bad habits and is one of the easiest low wing planes I have ever flown.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #149
Chucksolo69

By twitchy I meant that on high rates, the plane responds quickly. Much more so than the Champ, in fact, a lot more. ROG takeoffs with this plane are easy and with the trike gear, landings are are a breeze; at least for me they are. But then again, I have been flying my T-28 for quite a few months now. Good luck on your maiden.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:42 PM   #150
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

I am planning on a maiden flight tomorrow weather permitting. I charged the battery today after work but ran out of daylight to fly. I am going to get some velcro to hold the battery in place.
While the battery was charging I took the time to read both the manual for the radio and plane. The only part that is a little confusing is what settings to have it on before flight.
I cannot wait to try to see what I can do with this thing tomorrow. Ill just have to stear clear of the light poles.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics