Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-15-2011, 06:44 AM   #1
fliprob17
got vinyl?

View fliprob17's Gallery2
Friends: (0)
Default 3D Hobby Shop 48" EDGE 540

I have been absolutely loving this plane. I've got the Hacker A30-16M on the one I am flying w/ 2600 20C 3s batteries and a 13x6.5 Falcon Beechwood prop. Plenty of power at 42amps and 460watts, extremely light & floaty down on the deck, and just all-around a ton of fun to fly. Great handling in KE flight with just about zero coupling, it wasn't even enough warrant any mixing, extremely solid in both upright and inverted harrier, with a special emphasis on inverted, really shines there. Very easy to lock into hover, and with all that it will still get nasty and tumble and KE spin with some authority.

Available in two really nice color schemes - Orange and Blue

New, revised, re-vamped and still as rock solid as the original 47" version. The most under-rated ARF in the 47-48" size range by far is back.

Features

• Precision Laser cut wood construction & lightweight covering film
  • Magnetic canopy hatch w/ pre-installed spring loaded locking hatch latch
  • High strength Carbon Fiber wing-spar tube & sturdy metal control linkages
  • Durable wire landing gear for those "hard" landings & steerable tailwheel assembly
  • Molded Fiberglass wheel pants and cowling
  • Easy access thumb screw wing attachment for quick installation and removal
Specifications
  • Wingspan: 48"
  • Length: 45"
  • Wing Area: Xsq."
  • Weight (RTF): 39-44oz.
Recommended Components
  • Motor: Hacker A30-16M (lightweight) or Hacker A30-12L or Omega 130G870 (3s or 4s)
  • ESC: Hacker X-55-SB Pro or Castle ICE-50 Lite
  • Battery: 3s LiPo 2200-2700mah 20-30C
  • Propeller: APC 13x6.5E or Falcon Electric Beechwood 13x6.5
  • Servos: (4 required): HS-65MG or (2) HS-65HB for ailerons & (2) HS-65MG for rudder & elev.
  • Spinner: 40mm (1.5") Lightweight Electric
  • Servo Extensions: (3) 6-8" (1) 12"
  • Receiver/Radio: 6 channel recommended w/ full programming & rates
  • Misc.: (1) Pair of Deans Ultra Plugs or ESC connector, (1) set of 3DHS Phenolic Long Arm Servo Horns
Build Manual Link

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7248.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	155542   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7307.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	155543   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7527.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	155544   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7320.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	155545   Click image for larger version

Name:	3dh-48EDGE-B.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	155546  

3D Hobby Shop ARF's
Hacker Brushless Motors
adchobbystore.com
ADC Vinyl Graphics & Decals
Old 02-09-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
fliprob17
got vinyl?

View fliprob17's Gallery2

so, I've got about 30 flights on it now, all park huckin'
I've had every 46-48" ARF 3D Hobby Shop has offered, and this one is definitely my favorite. So easy to throw around, no bad habits at all.

My batteries were slacking off a bit, so I've got some 2200mah 3s 25C GensAce packs on the way. That should "liven" things up a bit Otherwise, loving the plane. The wire gear "is what it is" probably the only thing I'm not 100% on, but when it's in the air and you're flying it, you're not using it anyway

3D Hobby Shop ARF's
Hacker Brushless Motors
adchobbystore.com
ADC Vinyl Graphics & Decals
Old 06-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
IllinoisAviator

my next plane... after I get this aj slick going
Old 06-22-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
fmw

One of the best bargains in the entire industry. They call it the buck and half huck because it is only $150. Here's mine.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
CHSNative

Club: Flying Aces Pilots Association & AMA

This is the plane I am looking at for Christmas.........will be my first balsa model. I started on a Cessna, up to a warbird, to a EPP Edge, now ready for a balsa. But of course the blue version is out of stock. But, that orange one looks nice too.....so do i wait for the blue to get back in stock or go with the orange.....decisions, decisions.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #6
Aaeolien

I just maidened one of these last weekend and it is just awesome. It's my first balsa plane and I love the way it flies. Hoping for some decent weather to get out and fly it some this week.

Chris

Admitted Crack Pitts Addict
Old 12-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
CHSNative

This is the one I ended up with on my Christmas list.......of course I know my wife was looking at it...........then its out of stock. Hmmmmm.............either she bought the last one or missed it. I guess I will have to wait and see.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

You could always get the Extreme Flight 48" Edge EXP. Last time I checked they were in stock.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
CHSNative

Yaaayyy!!!!! I got the 3dhs 48" edge for Christmas with everything I need to get it in the air. I can't wait to get it built!
Old 12-31-2012, 02:52 AM   #10
Aaeolien

Nice man enjoy it. I love mine. This is my first balsa airframe and really really glad I bought one.

Here is a video of its 2nd flight on maiden day.

http://youtu.be/l9hMhoN5u0s

Chris

Admitted Crack Pitts Addict
Old 12-31-2012, 05:38 AM   #11
CHSNative

Build is finally complete! Well, the wheel pants had an issue so they are not on yet but that can be added later.
Setup:
Omega 130 Motor
Castle Ice Lite 50 ESC
HS-65MG Servos
Spektrum AR600 receiver
Spektrum DX7S radio

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo6.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	165281   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo5.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	165282   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo4.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	165283   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo7.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	165284  
Old 01-09-2013, 01:01 AM   #12
CHSNative

Ok, question....
I have everything set up and it runs one up to 3/4 power. But when I run up to full throttle the motor cuts out and the ESC starts beeping twice. I can move to zero power and it will reset but cuts out again if I go to full power.
According to the manual the two beeps means a drop in power and the ESC cuts out. But, I don't have a wattmeter and the batteries are fresh. Any thoughts?
Old 01-09-2013, 01:37 AM   #13
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (17)

i'll toss this out there for a possible cause,at least this is a problem for my sig hog bipe and gp 300s extra. i'm using old 3cell packs to get 6cells[zippies] and shortly after take off using a 100amp cc ice esc,power 60 eflite motor,on 15x6 prop it cuts out and repowers for landing.

the batteries are only 20c's ,4000mah 3cells and very old with many cycles on them,and i was told to increase them to 40c.

i just ordered 6 new 40c 4000mah zippies in the usa warehouse hk for $170 shipped to replace them and now the power draw shouldn't cause lvc. thye weigh more so cg will need adjusting but their size is right for the battery boxs i built as both planes are glow conversions.

this may be the same issue your having. good luck with the extra.you will love it and watch her closely as she will go exactly where pointed even if its going in the wrong direction[don't ask]. i fly the 3dhs 42"ajslick almost every time i go to the field and absolutly love that bird!!! flys best in the hanger and is the second one i'v owned, but isn't the same as my favorite uproar,and pig.

i also had very old 3cell 2200 20c zippies, now all sidelined for 6 new 2000mah 25c zippies. i'm going into this season with mostly brand new batteries to keep better maintained then ever before!!flying the ajslick on a 40amp plush esc,turnigy sk 35/48/1400kv,11 x5.5 apc. the aj goes unlimited vertical and has super power.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 01-09-2013, 02:43 AM   #14
xuzme720
c'mere Monkey

Location: Just North of Houston.Heard of Dayton? I didn't think so...
Send a message via Yahoo to xuzme720

Originally Posted by CHSNative View Post
Ok, question....
I have everything set up and it runs one up to 3/4 power. But when I run up to full throttle the motor cuts out and the ESC starts beeping twice. I can move to zero power and it will reset but cuts out again if I go to full power.
According to the manual the two beeps means a drop in power and the ESC cuts out. But, I don't have a wattmeter and the batteries are fresh. Any thoughts?
It's probably sagging to LVC on full throttle. It makes sense with what you've posted but a small bit of advice...get yourself a wattmeter! I used to do the same thing. "I don't push my planes that hard. I'll just stick with the recommended combo's", that kind of thing. I learned the hard way. If the wattmeter saves just one ESC or battery, it's already paid for itself. Basically it's peace of mind and you have to consider, how much is that worth to you?

Just call me X! (or Gary works, too.)
Another signature landing! Somebody help me find all the pieces...

Old 01-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #15
CHSNative

Any suggestions on a wattmeter? Should I look at an inline meter or more of multimeter tool?
Old 01-12-2013, 01:04 AM   #16
CHSNative

Another question on this plane...........I am having difficulty getting the wheel pants to sit right on the landing wire. Isn't the wire supposed to sit flush inside the groove on the wheel pant to allow the nylon strap to be screwed on over top of the wire? I have even had 3DHS send me another set of wheel pants and they are the exact same as the first pair that came with the plane. Am I looking at this wrong?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo1.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	165484   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	165485  
Old 01-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #17
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 

The motor cut out issue sounds very much like a classic case of an old tired battery sagging down and hitting LVC (Low Voltage Cut-off). If the battery is old and/or a cheap brand then it's almost a certainty.

Regarding the wheel pants... You just have to bend the strap over the wires by pulling it down with the screws, a pretty crude idea but that's how it is. You could try some Du-Bro straps that have a notch in:

The crude wire landing gear plus several other details is the reason I'd personally go for the Extreme Flight Edge over the 3DHS one every time, but each to his own.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #18
xuzme720
c'mere Monkey

Location: Just North of Houston.Heard of Dayton? I didn't think so...
Send a message via Yahoo to xuzme720

Any suggestions on a wattmeter? Should I look at an inline meter or more of multimeter tool?
Inline. It will give you more accurate results than you can get with a multimeter. It sounds counter-intuitive, but it's also much easier to get your readings hands free as it were. I am using this wattmeter http://www.batteryjunction.com/wuprc...FQHonAodaBIAyg but this one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__28242__Turnigy_7_in_1_Mega_Meter_USA_Warehouse_. html might be my next purchase in meters.Hope this helps!

Just call me X! (or Gary works, too.)
Another signature landing! Somebody help me find all the pieces...

Old 01-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #19
CHSNative

Another question on this plane...........I am having difficulty getting the wheel pants to sit right on the landing wire. Isn't the wire supposed to sit flush inside the groove on the wheel pant to allow the nylon strap to be screwed on over top of the wire? I have even had 3DHS send me another set of wheel pants and they are the exact same as the first pair that came with the plane. Am I looking at this wrong?
I finally got the answer from 3DHS.....the nylon strap is NOT supposed to sit flush over the wire on the pant. As you screw it in, it is supposed to flex and wrap around the wire. Of course this design stinks...........on one wheel, the nylon strap cracked in half and on the other wheel, the strap wouldn't flex easily enough and the screw stripped out. Nice. Now I have a cracked strap held on with epoxy and a pant with multiple holes in it. 3DHS, I hope you re-design this awful setup.

At least its finished and now if I can get the wattage straightened out I can feel comfortable to fly it.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying

Tags
3d , 3dhobbyshop , 3dhs , edge , edge 540