Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
BenjaminDz

Friends: (0)
Default New Here / Buying Plane This Week

Hello awesome community!

I am new to flying and have always loved RC planes growing up. I have flown many simulators (video games not actual RC simulators) and have always been fascinated by flight in general. I am finally going to splurge and get myself an airplane this week and just deciding on what to go with. I don't want anything too small and I also don't want something way too big thats so advanced to fly. I have a couple of things I was looking at and was hoping to get the communities advice since majority of you are long timers here.

I saw this plane: ebay.com/
itm/Cessna-182-5-CH-2-4Ghz-Brushless-RC-Airplane-RTF-/150977274122?pt=US_Character_Radio_Control_Toys&ha sh=item2326f2610a

And also this one: hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16542__Bixler_v1_1_EPO_1400mm_RTF_Mode_2_Throttl e_Left_Radio_.html

What do you guys think? Also, if you think there is an alternative choice that might be better for me, please don't hesitate to post some options.

Thanks all and hope to join the club with you guys soon!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

Welcome to WF Ben! You'll find plenty of helpful people here. It's good you're giving some thought to your first plane. Let me give you my 2 cents.

Your simulator time, being video games, may be hurtful, not helpful. Depends what video games you were playing. The arcade style ones 'simulate' flying, ummm, I can't think of a good analogy. Many of them don't simulate flying. The best I've seen lately is Wings of Steel, but even that is bit of a stretch. Microsoft Flight Simulator and X-Plane are ones I've done in the past. There are some cheap, or even free RC sims out there, they can be helpful with learning orientation and training your fingers, etc.

As far as your aircraft choices, your links aren't working, but I can tell you right now, the Bixler is the better choice, hands down. No really scale plane, as I assume that Cessna on E-Bay is like, is a good choice for a first plane. Search the beginner forums. See what people are really talking about and interested in. There's a reason some planes are popular starters.

Planes like the Bixler, (I think a Multiplex Easystar clone), HobbyZone SuperCub or Champ, Firebird Stratos, Ares Gamma, etc., are some of the popular favorites. That Cessna you found probably doesn't have the best flying qualities for a beginner. More importantly, what spare parts are available for it? More than likely, unless you're a born natural or if you have an experienced person to help and train you(do you?), you'll have some kind of mishap while learning, and if there are no spare parts available, then what? Buy a whole new plane?

If you have a LHS (Local Hobby Shop) nearby, the best thing to do is see what trainers, what spare parts they carry, and how much they cost. You may also want to search for a club nearby. They can give advice, and might even have a designated trainer, as well as a trainer plane for you to get started learning. You can search here for AMA clubs:

AMA Club Search

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
quorneng
Super Contributor

Club: A lone flyer!
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (7)

The best way to learn to fly is to join a club. They will have instructors and the probably something to learn on. You can then buy something of your own when you have mastered some of the basics.

If you are going to learn by yourself the Bixler is a reasonable choice. Fairly slow and pretty tough, important as you will crash a good few times before you have acquired the necessary eye/brain/hand coordination!
Getting a proper RC simulator can help in understanding what happens and how the plane actually looks when in the air.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
BBCorvette18

Multiplex Fun Cub you wont be disappointed. and investing in a cheap sim or a club to get some trainer time is well worth it.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #5
BenjaminDz

So something like this guys? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Multiplex-Fu...item2ec41032bc
Old 01-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
BBCorvette18

That's what I would recommend its one of the best slow flying planes I've flown.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
BenjaminDz

Originally Posted by BBCorvette18 View Post
That's what I would recommend its one of the best slow flying planes I've flown.
And you think I can learn on this easier than others? This might be materialistic but I HATE the wheels on it lol . Do you have any other options that you can throw out?
Old 01-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #8
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

AV Contest  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Those wheels will be great for landing in grass. Swapping them out could be your first mod - or pull them off entirely and hand launch / belly land it.

Here's a blog post I wrote with my top 3 recommendations. The Bixler is very similar to the Hawk Sky.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:21 AM   #9
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Friends: (3)

I am new to flying myself but my first plane was a Champ. Great to fly if nowind and cheap to fix. The mini super cub is a little bigger. I would recommend a Horizonhobby product for sure. They have great customer service and parts for everything they sell.

www.horizonhobby.com
Old 01-10-2013, 12:42 AM   #10
BenjaminDz

Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
I am new to flying myself but my first plane was a Champ. Great to fly if nowind and cheap to fix. The mini super cub is a little bigger. I would recommend a Horizonhobby product for sure. They have great customer service and parts for everything they sell.

www.horizonhobby.com
Ok so is everyone in agreement it seems like for me to get the Champ... I think I am going to order that today then and get it over with. The only thing I don't like about your blog post is this part "The stock transmitter is limited to a few hundred feet" - so that means I have to keep it really close to me? And keep flying in circles every few seconds it flies? Or is that a good distance to begin with?
Old 01-10-2013, 12:49 AM   #11
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Originally Posted by BenjaminDz View Post
Ok so is everyone in agreement it seems like for me to get the Champ... I think I am going to order that today then and get it over with. The only thing I don't like about your blog post is this part "The stock transmitter is limited to a few hundred feet" - so that means I have to keep it really close to me? And keep flying in circles every few seconds it flies? Or is that a good distance to begin with?
I had no issues with that at all. It is so small that, I think keeping it within a good visual range will keep you safe.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:52 AM   #12
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

I would order an upgraded battery with it as well. And possibly a tail section. IMO that is the easiest part of the plane to break besides the prop shaft.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:27 AM   #13
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (17)

i used to fly the micro p51 rtf and it gets small pretty quick but i never flew it past rx/tx range even when high up or as far away as i would ever want so i wouldn't worry about its distance to much. those small park models do some of their best flying close to you anyway.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 01-10-2013, 03:14 AM   #14
BBCorvette18

the reason I said the fun cub over the champ is you'll fly the champ for a few months and out grow it.

the champ is small and only a 3 channel. where as the fun cub is 55" wingspan and has everything you could ever want.

The landing gear of the fun cub is big because its supposed to be a bush plane. And it flys like one. AKA a SLOW landing and quick taking off plane.

That said some people love flying 3 channel planes its just not my thing
Old 01-10-2013, 03:22 AM   #15
BenjaminDz

Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
I would order an upgraded battery with it as well. And possibly a tail section. IMO that is the easiest part of the plane to break besides the prop shaft.
Where can I find the better battery and what else do you suggest I buy? Just give me the place and the exact stuff I need to buy and I will do it. I assume you are talking about the champ?
Old 01-10-2013, 03:34 AM   #16
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Where can I find the better battery and what else do you suggest I buy? Just give me the place and the exact stuff I need to buy and I will do it. I assume you are talking about the champ?
go to www.horizonhobby.com and find the champ. the better battery is under optional parts. it has more power and gives you longer run time. the prop shft and props and tail section are under parts listing.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:27 AM   #17
BenjaminDz

I went on here : http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...00#t4-OPTIONAL and looks like parts are backordered... Which batter do you suggest I buy?
Old 01-10-2013, 04:51 AM   #18
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

I got the fun cub for x-mas from my lovely girlfriend and even tho i have been flying for 35 years or so my friends are having a blast with it . You can buld it with or without flaps and for a new flyer i would build it without. My kit was missing the plastic bottom plate for the landing gear ,one plastic rear spar was 3/4 to short and the tail wheel wire was not in my kit. I contacted multiplex and they shiped it out in a couple days with out me having to yell at them.lol The onlything i could say to a new flyer is my fun cub did not come with a motor, servos or a radio so you would have to install all of it yourself. I think the champ has most everything installed and ready to fly . So if you dont mind a little tinkering to get it all together and the extra cost of all the parts you need to finish it the funcub you could learn on it and later add float and flaps for more fun. If you just want to get into the air fast and learn to fly the champ would be great for this.DISCLAIMER My thoughts are just that, MY THOUGHTS ,lol joe
Old 01-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #19
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

First, get your AMA card. Unless you have a really good lawyer and unlimited funds.

+1 on a real RC simulator like Real Flight or Phoenix. Sometimes you can find a used one on ebay or rcuniverse
+1 on joining a club. I hung out and observed for a while before going on line. Asked a zillion questions. Try buddy boxing with an instructor
+1 on the Bixler, Champ, Super Cub or Gamma as first plane. Personally, I like the HZ Super Cub because it's bigger and fun to mod-out later.
-1 on the C182 as a first plane. This would be a better 2nd plane IMO. I actually bought the C182 first and benched it while learning on the HZ Super Cub.

I'd also look at the basic building blocks like a good radio. The ones that come with the RTF's are basically throw-aways. Consider Spektrum, Futaba, JR, Airtronics, etc. You will grow your squadron around your radio. Go 2.4 !

You're going to want to standardize on one of the 3 connector types out there. EC3, Deans or XT-60 and then get the best charger you can afford such as the ICharger or Cellpro. The little 1-2 amp cellphone type chargers that come with the RTF's are useless. This will save you a lot of hassle as you'll be buying or making new planes once the addiction takes hold.

Finally,

Have fun !

-Hawk
Old 01-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #20
Whitty1340

Friends: (1)
Default Welcome Ben

I'm new here too. I just recently was given the new Firebird Stratos and the plane is the absolute best for beginners. It runs 129.99 all day long and is 42" wing. It is tough,I have at least 20+ crashes and it looks like I just took it out of the box. Don't get me wrong it is eazy to fly, my problem is dyslexia. And I'm able to overcome this problem because of the flight assist computer. It is the best bang for your buck. Have fun. Happy flying. Check out HobbyZone.com.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #21
BenjaminDz

Originally Posted by Whitty1340 View Post
I'm new here too. I just recently was given the new Firebird Stratos and the plane is the absolute best for beginners. It runs 129.99 all day long and is 42" wing. It is tough,I have at least 20+ crashes and it looks like I just took it out of the box. Don't get me wrong it is eazy to fly, my problem is dyslexia. And I'm able to overcome this problem because of the flight assist computer. It is the best bang for your buck. Have fun. Happy flying. Check out HobbyZone.com.
Sounds like an awesome one... Anyone else have a comment on this? I was going to buy the Champ today so I will hold off until I hear back.

Also to the guy above, what do you mean by this: "First, get your AMA card. Unless you have a really good lawyer and unlimited funds"
Old 01-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #22
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Sounds like an awesome one... Anyone else have a comment on this? I was going to buy the Champ today so I will hold off until I hear back.

Also to the guy above, what do you mean by this: "First, get your AMA card. Unless you have a really good lawyer and unlimited funds"
Get the stratos if you have a large field nearby or an empty park. get the champ if your space is more limited.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #23
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

View CrimzonRider's Gallery18
Friends: (14)

I think Hawk is saying that you have to get AMA card which comes with insurance in case your plane damages a car or house or even worse a person, being everyone is sue happy these days IMO. Most clubs are AMA required.

BTW Im not AMA, but I have 160 acres to fly anytime. Just kinda depends on you, but its not a 100% requirement IMO.

Good Luck on whatever plane you get.

cr
Old 01-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #24
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

Academy of Model Aeronautics

They have safety rules to live by, and insurance to protect you and others with. While these trainers might not be too dangerous, we see stories like this all too often. (Warning, gross injury photos!) Electric planes are actually more dangerous than the fuel powered ones, as if you're not paying attention, they can just start up by themselves! There are many ways to do it by accident, so you have to respect the propeller!

AMA also are the ones that charter any club fields you might have seen around. I think I gave you a link in my earlier post with their field locator to see if there are any near you.

+1 on that Stratos if you're training yourself. Saw one take a 20 foot nose dive, and just bounced right back and landed on it's wheels, and no apparent damage. None of my planes could do that!

Edit: Crimzon is right, it's not a requirement. Depends where you're flying and stuff. I like having a bunch of other RC folks around, too.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #25
BenjaminDz

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Academy of Model Aeronautics

They have safety rules to live by, and insurance to protect you and others with. While these trainers might not be too dangerous, we see stories like this all too often. (Warning, gross injury photos!) Electric planes are actually more dangerous than the fuel powered ones, as if you're not paying attention, they can just start up by themselves! There are many ways to do it by accident, so you have to respect the propeller!

AMA also are the ones that charter any club fields you might have seen around. I think I gave you a link in my earlier post with their field locator to see if there are any near you.

+1 on that Stratos if you're training yourself. Saw one take a 20 foot nose dive, and just bounced right back and landed on it's wheels, and no apparent damage. None of my planes could do that!

Edit: Crimzon is right, it's not a requirement. Depends where you're flying and stuff. I like having a bunch of other RC folks around, too.
I have some pretty big fields around AZ - it's like the desert here so i think Ill pass on the whole AMA insurance thing.

Ok guys so I am purchasing in like 5-6 hours when I get home.. Sounds like the general consciences is the Stratos one over the Champ or others... If there are any others that feel this is a good choice please let me know... Thanks so much ahead of time again to all of you.

If Stratos is the right one, should I purchase anything additonal with it? Like better controller, better battery, extra parts, etc..?

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions