Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-10-2013, 01:27 AM   #1
wreckerdrvr
wreckerdrvr

Friends: (0)
Default ? about mpi arming system

I'm new to all this so I have a lot of dumb questions. I recently bought a used nitro plane that I'm converting to electric. I plan on using a 6s battery that I want to leave in the plane to charge. Can I charge through the arming switch? It looks to me that the esc would be getting the charge as well. Wont that.burn up the esc
Old 01-10-2013, 04:39 AM   #2
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

No, you need to connect directly to the pos and neg of the battery. Can not do that through the arming switch.
You should plug a lipo balancer into the balance jack of the battery.

Some lipo's have gone up in flames while charging, we do not recommend charging in the plane. it also should be done while the battery is in a fireproof lipo charging bag.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:55 AM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by wreckerdrvr View Post
I'm new to all this so I have a lot of dumb questions. I recently bought a used nitro plane that I'm converting to electric. I plan on using a 6s battery that I want to leave in the plane to charge. Can I charge through the arming switch? It looks to me that the esc would be getting the charge as well. Wont that.burn up the esc
Nope, dumb questions are the ones asked AFTER burning something up.

You've probably read about those LiPo fires on our electric models. IMHO, most if not all of these fires were a direct result of improper charging of these very high powered batteries.

One thing to watch for is for these batteries, especially the larger 6S type batteries, getting way out of balance while charging. Getting out of balance is very hard on these batteries, and likely increases the chances of a fire.

The newer high performance LiPo chargers have built in automatic cell balancing features that do the cell balancing act while the charge process is taking place. (I've got the Cellpro Powerlab 8 charger, for charging a 6S4P 2300 Mah A123 battery pack. The charge rate is set at 30 Amps. These A123's are configured as a 12S2P pack while in flight)

If you charge these batteries without those balance wires hooked up, you increase the risk of cell damage, or much worse, battery fires.

If this is your first run at high powered electric models, perhaps the following threads might be useful???

Thread on 70 size glow engine conversion to electric
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45222

Hacker 6S2P A123 powered Models
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44686

AEAJR's Site on Electric Power
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18521

BEC Linear Current Rating
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63497

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 01-11-2013, 02:05 AM   #4
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

You can charge a small receiver pack - usually NiCad or NiMH - through the arming switch harness but not the flight pack.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners