Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #26
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

Friends: (0)

I did some work to the parkzone spitfire several years ago : http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...kzone+spitfire

One of the things i found about matching motors with props was that you needed a small enough prop if you want speed, unless you mod the stock plane where you are adding a lot of weight the larger props are no good. With the smaller props you need a higher Kv rating or more volts to get the RPMs needed. I always tried to match the highest pitch with the smallest prop to give the highest prop thrust speed. I only wanted to go fast LOL

4-27-2006 Stryker B
6-05-2006 PKZ FW190 Brushless
8-25-2006 Stryker C
9-27-2006 Typhoon 3D
3-28-2007 PKZ Spitfire Brushless
4-28-2007 FunJet
9-06-2007 Kyosho F-16
10-21-2007 Phase3 F-16
Old 12-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #27
needlenoses

Club: Just the clubhouse for drinks!!

Thanks; I know what you mean as I have been fighting the electronics issue with my "test" Stryker. It is difficult to match up the amps/watts by just changing props. At some point I just lose too much thrust.
Work in progress that one!!!

As for the Spitfire, I was trying to choose a prop that would again balance out amps/watts. Stock prop was a 9x6.5 with the stock 30 amp esc and the stock motor. Now with the power 15 and a 40 amp esc, I can get really close with a 10X10E, or with a 4 cell I can use a 10X5E. Maybe I could try a 9X10E if there is such an animal. Will take it out soon, maybe even before Christmas for a couple of test flights.

I have evne thought about trying a couple of three bladed props now that I have more data.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #28
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

the three blade props are only needed if you are heavy and/or can't get the thrust out of a prop without going too large of a diameter. Stick with the twin blades and go down in size and up in pitch, i think i ended up with a 7x9 prop and with 11.1v with a 1440Kv motor i was getting over 100mph of prop thrust speed. This number is important for your top speed, if you can only generate lets say 60mph of thrust speed then once a plane reaches that speed (minus drag) then the prop acts as a break not allowing you to go any faster.

there is another issue with using a bigger diameter, once the tip of the prop reaches the speed of sound it draws too many amps, the smaller props allow for a higher thrust speed without getting the prop tip farther away from the axis it spins on.

In my opinion go with the smallest prop and the highest Kv motor, i want at least a 1:1 thrust to weight. Take your gear out of your stryker and buy a miltiplex funjet body. With less weight and drag than a stryker the funjet is a beast.

4-27-2006 Stryker B
6-05-2006 PKZ FW190 Brushless
8-25-2006 Stryker C
9-27-2006 Typhoon 3D
3-28-2007 PKZ Spitfire Brushless
4-28-2007 FunJet
9-06-2007 Kyosho F-16
10-21-2007 Phase3 F-16
Old 01-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #29
Phillspectre

Club: Concorde MFC, Rotherham Heli Club, North Notts model flying club

Just got a stock set up Parkzone Spitfire IX off a flying buddy of mine, after reading the posts on this thread decided to check the power of the stock set up myself before flying it. Used a fully charged 3S Turnigy Nano Tech 2200MaH 35-70C batt, this battery has had plenty of use in an Align 450 pro heli so it is well used but is showing a max of over 300watts @ over 26amps. Eventually going to try a few different APC props on it and one off the PZ Extra 300 10.5 x 9. As the ESC is rated at 30amps continuous with 35 amps burst there are a few more watts to be gained with the stock motor and ESC, batteries will probably be Turnigy Nano Tech 3S 2250 65-130C as I have a few of these new in box. Will fly it first in stock set up and see what it's like. Here's a jpeg of the stock set up power graph.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spitfire IX first test run.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	165325
Old 01-03-2013, 05:17 AM   #30
needlenoses

Smile

Sorry for delay; but with Christmas and New Years, plus electrical problems with our RV, flying kind of hit the back burner.

Spitfire is ready to test-fly in a couple of days once other issues are solved. Have added a 2250ma 4 cell which took a little bit of balancing, 40 amp esc, new power 15 with a 10X7E. I am, reading 38.7 amps/596 watts static. Looking forward to getting it up in the air. If all goes well, I will re-tackle top same sort of issue with my test -stryker C.

As for the comment on the 'FUNJET"; had two and yes they are really fast; but for me, there is still a lot of fun left in the old Stryker C fuselage. I enjoy customizing, adding C.F. rods, painting them up all wierd, and flying them. Plus with my much older eyes, bigger is easier to keep traxk of.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #31
Phillspectre

Did it need much foam removal to fit the 4 cell batt ?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #32
TopSpin

Friends: (1)

I'll be doing a build thread on a bare ParkZone F4F Wildcat build and soup up. The same power setup will make the PZ Spitfire a rocket but you will have to follow my buils since PZ does not make it easy to use other peoples motors.

The TRUTH is not always what it seems.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #33
needlenoses

Originally Posted by Phillspectre View Post
Did it need much foam removal to fit the 4 cell batt ?

I did not have to enlarge the opening for the 4-cell at all. Slips in TIGHT so it is a small chore to slide it back out. Works for me, and if I want, after testing, I can slide my usual 2600 ma 3 cells in there which I have to strap in. I wouldn't have to change prop, but of course not the same results at all. Wind has finally eased here (Casa Grande AZ) so I may be testing this afternoon after I play Pickleball and it warms up a bit. Frosty on the rigs this morning. I will let you n\know what happens and if I have any parts left if the wings rips off!!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #34
TopSpin

Pleas do let us know. I opted for a 600 watt 1450 KV motor that weighs only about 6 grams more than the stock motor but requires spacers to make it fit correctly. This way I can run it on 2200 3S and get longer flight time and it still hauls. I also went to a 10X6 3 blade prop. This same moter will run on 4S using the stock PZ prop but it probably would tear the wings off. There really is such a thing as too fast.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #35
needlenoses

The e-flite power 15 screwed right on to the existing motor mount, and the stock shaft adapter worked fine except I needed one thick washer so that I could mount a nice large white nose to make it look a bit sharper. three bladed prop sounds cool; did you get the proper nose piece; noon here, having a quick lunch, then off I go to the field.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #36
TopSpin

Yep I got a DuBro 3 Blade spinner that works like a charm but I have it on another plane at the moment. I"ll give you the part number as soon as I can find it in my pile of perpetual ignorance on my workbench. I'll be posting my stuff a little later but keep in mind it's for a Wildcat so a little different than what you have but the motor will make it a rocket on 3 cells, turn a bigger prop, and last longer.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:16 AM   #37
needlenoses

Ok, for all those interested; actually got out to a local field or desert would be better. As I have not flown for a while I chose to first fly one of my Stryker C customs and flung it around the sky (ended up with a weak battery which I will test and fly once more). Then I put one of my Mini Ultra Sticks (quad flaps) through it's paces using up a couple of batteries (this is still my favorite all-round plane to fly at the moment).

Then I hauled out the Spifire, did a full check on it, then off we went. Other than a couple of tweeks on the trip, it went fine. Did one good circuit with wheels down while I tried a few turns etc, then I retracted the wheels and went full throttle. This configuration increased the performance enough so that it flys more like it should have in the first place. Only guessing, but I figure about 25% more speed and vertical climb. It handled well and it didn't stall as easily in nose up turns etc.

I am happy at this point and will do some more flying tests with slightly different props. Could the airframe handle more; my opinion is, YES. But I have, I think, what I was looking for; not a Stryker like speed, just a reasonable amount more.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #38
Phillspectre

Thanks for the reply on 4S battery fitment. If anyones interested here is a jpg of the Parkzone Extra 300 10.5 x 9 prop ( PKZ 5101 ) power graph on the Spitfire using fully charged 3S 2200 MaH Nano Tech 35-70C batts, static run on the ground. ESC was only slightly warm after the full 21 second first run at over 340watts @ over 30amps. Anyone deciding to use one of these props will be better off using an approx 1mm thick washer under the prop nut as the Extra 300 prop hub is thinner than the stock Spitfire prop hub, when tightening the spinner retaining screw up it deforms the spinner backplate and pushes it very near to the cowling. Or another way would be to put a washer between the spinner and prop nut on the small retaining screw. Might get out to fly it this week as our field has dried out a bit and no longer looks like marshland. Can't see it improving the top speed but hopefully it will give more initial thrust for takeoffs and climb outs may be better. Looks like the Power 15 is the way to go if I need more thrust as it appears to be an easy fit. Anybody able to post the all up weight of their modified planes ? that's including battery packs.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Spitfire IX 2nd test run extra 300 10.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	165401

Name:	Spitfire IX 2nd test run extra 300 10 s.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	165402
Old 01-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #39
Phillspectre

Flew the Spitfire today, performance on stock set up is for me disappointing, tried a few different batteries but still no improvement. A few of my clubmates looked at the stock prop and all thought the same as me that it is a bit flimsy and more suited to indoor flying. Stuck the Parkzone Extra 300 prop on and there did appear to be a bit more go in the plane it just felt a bit more lively and generally nicer to fly. Stock prop will not be going back on but it will ok to stir my coffee with. Bigger motor required !
Old 01-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #40
TopSpin

Originally Posted by needlenoses View Post
Ok, for all those interested; actually got out to a local field or desert would be better. As I have not flown for a while I chose to first fly one of my Stryker C customs and flung it around the sky (ended up with a weak battery which I will test and fly once more). Then I put one of my Mini Ultra Sticks (quad flaps) through it's paces using up a couple of batteries (this is still my favorite all-round plane to fly at the moment).

Then I hauled out the Spifire, did a full check on it, then off we went. Other than a couple of tweeks on the trip, it went fine. Did one good circuit with wheels down while I tried a few turns etc, then I retracted the wheels and went full throttle. This configuration increased the performance enough so that it flys more like it should have in the first place. Only guessing, but I figure about 25% more speed and vertical climb. It handled well and it didn't stall as easily in nose up turns etc.

I am happy at this point and will do some more flying tests with slightly different props. Could the airframe handle more; my opinion is, YES. But I have, I think, what I was looking for; not a Stryker like speed, just a reasonable amount more.
Do my motor mod with this motor ( https://www.leaderhobby.com/product....=9394001223649 ) and you will have exactly what you are looking for for under $20.00. It will turn a e blade prop on 3 cells and haul the mail. What more could you want?

Old 01-10-2013, 01:43 AM   #41
needlenoses

$20.00 wasn't the issue; I wanted a lower Kv motor that suited the Spitfire and would "BOLT RIGHT ON". Already had the power 15 motor so it was a no-brainer. Will fly on 3s or 4s. Flew it again today in the desert and it flew just as I wanted it.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:22 AM   #42
TopSpin

Originally Posted by needlenoses View Post
$20.00 wasn't the issue; I wanted a lower Kv motor that suited the Spitfire and would "BOLT RIGHT ON". Already had the power 15 motor so it was a no-brainer. Will fly on 3s or 4s. Flew it again today in the desert and it flew just as I wanted it.
That's OK, I usually go for higher KV with the existing or just slightly larger prop. Usually a lower KV motor requires either a much bigger non-scale looking prop or higher voltage to get performance out of. The Power .15 is a good motor and if you are happy with the performance then it's all good. I was just making a suggestion that I know works very well with little effort. In fact, if the Eflite motor bolts in so will the EMP motor.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:55 PM   #43
sc_hockeydad

I have done a lot of reading, mostly yours (Needlenoses), on upgrading the Parkzone Spitfire motor. After the 2nd, factory installed, motor failure, I have decided to upgrade the motor.

I would like, to put a Power 15 back into the airplane and spin a 3 or 4 bladed prop.

I read that you wanted to do the same. Did you ever find a combination that "worked"?

Motor
Prop
ESC
Battery

I really appreciate any direction you could offer to a fellow Spit enthusiast.

Thanks,
SC_hockeydad
Old 03-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #44
needlenoses

Default Spitfire Upgrade

Yep!! I have done some changes to my Spit. Carved a channel in the fuselage under the battery so that I could run the esc wires. I wanted to move the esc back out of the way. Tried the E-Flite Power 15 with a 60 amp esc pushing an 11X6 6 bladed prop. Performed a lot better than the Parkzone motor ( mine never burned out-still have it). Then I installed the E-flite Power 25 with same prop, and I am happy with it. Climbs vertical with no problem, and performs more to scale. I ran a 2200ma 4-cell 30C battery both set ups. Hope that helps you.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #45
bigmac3737
Bigmac

Club: no club yet

What about changing the spur gear behind the proper to a taller ratio?
Or would that just draw extra current, just lightened and put a two blade
on my spit, hopefully try it out tonight.
On a side note, any one have experience making working landing gear or a
belly skid for pz spit ultra micro?

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics