Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Company Support Forums > FMA Direct
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

FMA Direct Discuss FMA Direct products or ask your support questions.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
still4given

Friends: (0)
Default Charging a 1500mAh A123 with the PL8

Hi Guys,

I have just recently purchased a new PL8. I am learning as fast as I can and have most the features I need figured out but I just purchased some of these packs for a couple DX7 Tx's that I have.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ter_pack_.html

My question pertains to the presets for A123 packs. There are presets for 2300 and 1100 but not for a 1500. Is one of these presets better for the 1500 than the other or does it even matter?

Thanks, Terry
Old 01-10-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by still4given View Post
Hi Guys,

I have just recently purchased a new PL8. I am learning as fast as I can and have most the features I need figured out but I just purchased some of these packs for a couple DX7 Tx's that I have.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ter_pack_.html

My question pertains to the presets for A123 packs. There are presets for 2300 and 1100 but not for a 1500. Is one of these presets better for the 1500 than the other or does it even matter?

Thanks, Terry
Did you buy the USB dongle for the PL8? If so, you can connect your PL8 to your computer, and set up exactly what you need. You can even rename the charging algorithm with "DX7A123" on the PL8's LCD display. Along with putting your name and phone number on the PL8's LCD display.

These A123 cells really don't care much how fast you charge them. I routinely charge my various (total of over 100 cells) 2300 Mah A123's at 7.5 Amps per cell. If your battery doesn't have high current wires, you can't do that though. That 7.5 amps will melt typical servo type wire.

You can also set up your PL8 to charge through the A123 balance cables (only) at about 2 Amps. That's the value I use for charging my two cell 2300 Mah receiver backup batteries through the balance wires.

What you will be doing is copying one of your A123 "Presets" to charging algorithm #1, #2 or similar, and make changes in the preset to match your battery pack. You can safely charge your 1500 Mah A123's at two amps. Be sure to "Lock" in your preset values so they can't be permanently changed from the PL8 key buttons. With the PL8 and that dongle, you can even design a completely new charging algorithm an odd ball type of battery.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 01-10-2013, 04:31 AM   #3
still4given

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Did you buy the USB dongle for the PL8? If so, you can connect your PL8 to your computer, and set up exactly what you need. You can even rename the charging algorithm with "DX7A123" on the PL8's LCD display. Along with putting your name and phone number on the PL8's LCD display.

These A123 cells really don't care much how fast you charge them. I routinely charge my various (total of over 100 cells) 2300 Mah A123's at 7.5 Amps per cell. If your battery doesn't have high current wires, you can't do that though. That 7.5 amps will melt typical servo type wire.

You can also set up your PL8 to charge through the A123 balance cables (only) at about 2 Amps. That's the value I use for charging my two cell 2300 Mah receiver backup batteries through the balance wires.

What you will be doing is copying one of your A123 "Presets" to charging algorithm #1, #2 or similar, and make changes in the preset to match your battery pack. You can safely charge your 1500 Mah A123's at two amps. Be sure to "Lock" in your preset values so they can't be permanently changed from the PL8 key buttons. With the PL8 and that dongle, you can even design a completely new charging algorithm an odd ball type of battery.
No, I didn't buy the dongle. To be honest, i was shocked it didn't come with the charger. I think it is ridiculous that something that is necessary to use the full functionality on the charger is not included. I've heard the argument that they were trying to keep the price down but that argument doesn't fly. It is already quite a bit more than the closest iCharger. What's $10 more for a complete unit? I now have a charger that I can only use half the functions on until I pony up for a dongle and pay shipping on it. Doesn't make sense. Sorry for the rant.

Now about the A123's. I'm not sure what the difference is between the 2300 and 1100 presets. Do they have specific defaults of that size cell? Does it aid in determining what is meant when you select 1C,2C, 3C, etc?

I suppose I can just select either one and then tell it what amperage to charge at.

Thanks, Terry
Old 01-10-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

No, I didn't buy the dongle. To be honest, i was shocked it didn't come with the charger. I think it is ridiculous that something that is necessary to use the full functionality on the charger is not included. I've heard the argument that they were trying to keep the price down but that argument doesn't fly. It is already quite a bit more than the closest iCharger. What's $10 more for a complete unit? I now have a charger that I can only use half the functions on until I pony up for a dongle and pay shipping on it. Doesn't make sense. Sorry for the rant.

Now about the A123's. I'm not sure what the difference is between the 2300 and 1100 presets. Do they have specific defaults of that size cell? Does it aid in determining what is meant when you select 1C,2C, 3C, etc?

I suppose I can just select either one and then tell it what amperage to charge at.

Thanks, Terry
Methinks one reason Cellpro does not include the dongle is some people buy several Cellpro Powerlab 8's for their many high powered electric models. And those same people would complain about having to pay for duplicate dongles. Guess you can never satisfy everyone.

As for the A123 presets, you can just use one of the presets, and see what charging current it is set up for. If it's below a couple of amps, (Limited by the A123 battery wire size), just use it as is. The Cellpro PL8 charger uses the balance cables to automatically determine how many cells are being charged.

As for those A123 cells, last fall at a big fun fly, one pilot lost a giant scale model when he lost power to his receiver, and ignition battery for his gasser. I personally checked out the model after the crash. The right wing aileron servo absolutely dead shorted out as measured by my $$$$ Fluke 87V digital multimeter. Those 2300 Mah A123 cells actually burned up all the insulation right down to bare wires on the servo wires leading to that shorted servo. That A123 battery actually melted the receiver on-off switch, and welded the switch contacts for the receiver on off switch together in the process.

DennyV
Old 01-10-2013, 06:35 AM   #5
still4given

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Methinks one reason Cellpro does not include the dongle is some people buy several Cellpro Powerlab 8's for their many high powered electric models. And those same people would complain about having to pay for duplicate dongles. Guess you can never satisfy everyone.
So in your mind, Cellpro is more worried about the few who can easily afford more than one PL8 ending up with and extra dongle than they are about those of us who save for months to buy one, only to send us the charger minus one of the essential pieces for full operation? Hmm....

As for the A123 presets, you can just use one of the presets, and see what charging current it is set up for. If it's below a couple of amps, (Limited by the A123 battery wire size), just use it as is. The Cellpro PL8 charger uses the balance cables to automatically determine how many cells are being charged.

As for those A123 cells, last fall at a big fun fly, one pilot lost a giant scale model when he lost power to his receiver, and ignition battery for his gasser. I personally checked out the model after the crash. The right wing aileron servo absolutely dead shorted out as measured by my $$$$ Fluke 87V digital multimeter. Those 2300 Mah A123 cells actually burned up all the insulation right down to bare wires on the servo wires leading to that shorted servo. That A123 battery actually melted the receiver on-off switch, and welded the switch contacts for the receiver on off switch together in the process.
I've done that with a NiCad. I'm sure that a fully shorted battery pulls a lot more than three amps.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

So in your mind, Cellpro is more worried about the few who can easily afford more than one PL8 ending up with and extra dongle than they are about those of us who save for months to buy one, only to send us the charger minus one of the essential pieces for full operation? Hmm....

I've done that with a NiCad. I'm sure that a fully shorted battery pulls a lot more than three amps.
Yeah
Cellpro is not the only place that does not include the "Dongle". Same with just about every ESC out there, including Castle Creations. You are more likely to buy several ESC's though.

As for the "AA" size Nicads, they can put out perhaps 15-20 Amps on a dead short. Those A123 cells are designed to OPERATE at 15-20 amps continuously. Or my 2300 Mah A123's operate at about 40 Amps each. Those 2300 Mah cells will put out something like 300 Amps on a dead short.

DennyV

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Company Support Forums > FMA Direct