Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #26
LowThudd

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by flydiver View Post
I don't get it. Check the prices.
China - cheap and wait 3-4 weeks. ,maybe more.
HURC, 50 cents more, $2 unlimited FAST shipping for all your stuff combined, SERVICE, INFORMATION, and you can ask him questions.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...h-16%29/Detail

All you have to do is make a few wrong decisions, or get some dead junk, and you've wiped out your saving, which is not hard to do at your stage.
Purchased! Thanks again for the advice!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #27
LowThudd

OK, so I have the Cub, and the instructions(while very good compared to the Versa I just built) only give instructions for mounting the IPS system. Any suggestions as to how to mount my Brushless motor? It looks as though I will need @1" of a spacer, just not sure how to attach it to the styro. I was thinking of using the existing stick mount from the kit, and building a flush platform onto that, which an aluminum/ply mount can be mounted to.

What do you think?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #28
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

Go back to HeadsUp and look at the motor mounts and the Pico Stick. Then think about it.

I don't have the plane, so can't help with specifics. There's likely an entire thread on it if you do some searching.

fly
If you're going to learn to fly them, you have to learn to fix them.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:25 AM   #29
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,983 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (304)

Originally Posted by LowThudd View Post
OK, so I have the Cub, and the instructions(while very good compared to the Versa I just built) only give instructions for mounting the IPS system. Any suggestions as to how to mount my Brushless motor? It looks as though I will need @1" of a spacer, just not sure how to attach it to the styro. I was thinking of using the existing stick mount from the kit, and building a flush platform onto that, which an aluminum/ply mount can be mounted to.

What do you think?
lots of good motor mounting Ideas here

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39483

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-18-2013, 04:47 AM   #30
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

What do you think?
It may be a bit of effort to find GWS parts, since shops don't stock them as much anymore, but GWS has mounts that will adapt outrunners to stick mount. They even had a version that would mount the old 300 brushed motor to the smaller IPS stick mount. I believe I have one stashed around here, and it could easily mount a small outrunner as well as a 300 brushed. Certainly not necessary as there are a number of ways to fabricate a mount, but I'd use one if I could find it easily, such as at the LHS.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:53 AM   #31
LowThudd

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
It may be a bit of effort to find GWS parts, since shops don't stock them as much anymore, but GWS has mounts that will adapt outrunners to stick mount. They even had a version that would mount the old 300 brushed motor to the smaller IPS stick mount. I believe I have one stashed around here, and it could easily mount a small outrunner as well as a 300 brushed. Certainly not necessary as there are a number of ways to fabricate a mount, but I'd use one if I could find it easily, such as at the LHS.
Thanks. Chellies link gave me some good ideas. I think I'll just fab one up. I have some 1/8" maple that should be plenty strong enough. I like the design with four bolts to allow for adjustment. I believe I will shorten the stick, and attach the firewall to it, and bolts coming from the wood firewall. Should be solid enough, and not rely on screws into the foam for structural support.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #32
LowThudd

lol. I got a couple servos in that I bought on ebay for $6 a pair. I thought they would be small servos, good enough for a cheap build. They ended up being HUGE Towardpro946R metal gear digital servos, 13kg of torque. Each one is bigger and heavier than the motor I am using. Oh well, they will be great for a much larger plane, so they are handy for the price. I'll just have to get some smaller servos for the J3 and the flaps on the Versa.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:19 AM   #33
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 

lol. I got a couple servos in that I bought on ebay for $6 a pair. I thought they would be small servos, good enough for a cheap build. They ended up being HUGE Towardpro946R metal gear digital servos, 13kg of torque. Each one is bigger and heavier than the motor I am using. Oh well, they will be great for a much larger plane, so they are handy for the price. I'll just have to get some smaller servos for the J3 and the flaps on the Versa.
I would forget about the ebay thing, for the dollar or so saved. When I started in this hobby a 7-9gm servo could not be found for less than $12, and the 2.5-4gm servo were over $20. 10A ESCs were $50 and up. I've been using HURC lately, and have been getting my orders in around 3 days. I'd use their 3 or 5gm servos for a plane like this, and the $5 each cost is not a big deal. There are a number of decent places that sell gear at reasonable prices, that are much better than the ebay sellers. Every time I look at stuff there, the descriptions are either lacking, questionable, or both.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:50 AM   #34
LowThudd

I would forget about the ebay thing, for the dollar or so saved. When I started in this hobby a 7-9gm servo could not be found for less than $12, and the 2.5-4gm servo were over $20. 10A ESCs were $50 and up. I've been using HURC lately, and have been getting my orders in around 3 days. I'd use their 3 or 5gm servos for a plane like this, and the $5 each cost is not a big deal. There are a number of decent places that sell gear at reasonable prices, that are much better than the ebay sellers. Every time I look at stuff there, the descriptions are either lacking, questionable, or both.
Thanks for the warning, but I like eBay. I may have ordered the wrong part for my needs, but these servos go for @$10 each. I got two for $6 shipped total. I'm happy. I have been buying and selling on eBay for 15 years, and I don't intend to stop now. That said, I will probably be buying some servos from heads up next time. They have decent prices, and the shipping is extremely fast.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:22 AM   #35
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Awards Showcase

Thanks for the warning, but I like eBay. I may have ordered the wrong part for my needs, but these servos go for @$10 each. I got two for $6 shipped total. I'm happy. I have been buying and selling on eBay for 15 years, and I don't intend to stop now. That said, I will probably be buying some servos from heads up next time. They have decent prices, and the shipping is extremely fast.
The post was not intended to be a warning, and I'm not specifically trying to promote Heads Up, but just places that have some real and accurate descriptions that go along with their product. Going from your post, it appeared that it was ebay that was misleading. I also have no intention to entirely dismiss ebay either. The point is that my experience is that many ebay sellers are a bit less than 100% professional in their product descriptions. My impression is that they either assume that you already know all the details about exactly what products you want to buy that they are selling, or don't seem to care much about it if you don't. Of course some are better than others.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:28 AM   #36
LowThudd

The post was not intended to be a warning, and I'm not specifically trying to promote Heads Up, but just places that have some real and accurate descriptions that go along with their product. Going from your post, it appeared that it was ebay that was misleading. I also have no intention to entirely dismiss ebay either. The point is that my experience is that many ebay sellers are a bit less than 100% professional in their product descriptions. My impression is that they either assume that you already know all the details about exactly what products you want to buy that they are selling, or don't seem to care much about it if you don't. Of course some are better than others.
Very true, it is up to the consumer to MAKE SURE that the ebay seller is selling the item you want. CS is almost nonexistent on eBay, but most of the Chinese sellers I have dealt with are very fair when it comes to mistakes on their part. Feedback is extremely important on eBay. Hobby King has no feedback, so therefor you are likely out of luck on an international purchase from them. I was already looking at heads up after I bid on these servos, and wished I had waited. *Shrug* No loss on my part, I'll use them later on something large.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #37
LowThudd

I ended up getting this mount at HURC: http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...t-B-for/Detail

While I was there, ordered 4 servos and 5 T connectors all for only $16.45 shipped! Great deal.

I am going to make my own stick, with a 'Z' bend on one end, so that the motor will be in the proper position. I have some 3/8" hard maple that will be perfect for this. Thanks for the ideas all!
Old 01-21-2013, 04:49 AM   #38
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Awards Showcase

I ended up getting this mount at HURC: http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...t-B-for/Detail

While I was there, ordered 4 servos and 5 T connectors all for only $16.45 shipped! Great deal.

I am going to make my own stick, with a 'Z' bend on one end, so that the motor will be in the proper position. I have some 3/8" hard maple that will be perfect for this. Thanks for the ideas all!
If you have an LHS, you may be able to find these also for future use. I have 2 of each stashed, as they looked useful for a buck or so each.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GWS_mount.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	165743 GWS standard and IPS sized stick mounts for outrunner and 300 brushed motor. The smaller IPS stick mount could easily mount an outrunner with the 2 holes, or by mating an outrunner X-mount to it.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:55 AM   #39
LowThudd

If you have an LHS, you may be able to find these also for future use. I have 2 of each stashed, as they looked useful for a buck or so each.
Something like that came with my J3 kit, but for $2 for the mount I bought and some wood I have lying around I have a very sturdy mount. I thought about using the IPS mount, but it's just too flimsy IMHO. Probably your mount is sturdier. I have a cheap heli that doesn't fly well. I think I am going to try it's motor with the IPS mount for some dollar tree foam experimentation.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:11 AM   #40
LowThudd

Got the motor mount put together. Seems to work great. I'll figure out the angle before gluing the stick in the plane.

This may be a stupid question, but how do you know which direction to put the servos in? I have them set up with the arms in opposite direction to one another, arm centered perpendicular to the servo. But how do I know which direction the servo will throw with right movement on the left stick, or up direction on the right stick? Please bear with me. I am new, and a little dyslexic. lol
Old 01-26-2013, 01:01 AM   #41
flydiver
Super Contributor

View flydiver's Gallery1
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

You don't until you try it.
Some servos are 'right' some are 'left', depends on the brand, maybe the model.
That's why better TX have servo reversing and sub-trim.

fly
If you're going to learn to fly them, you have to learn to fix them.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:06 AM   #42
LowThudd

Originally Posted by flydiver View Post
You don't until you try it.
Some servos are 'right' some are 'left', depends on the brand, maybe the model.
That's why better TX have servo reversing and sub-trim.
OK, got it. I didn't even think about the fact that the Versa TX does have reversing switches. More than likely, I will be using a 9x Tx with FrSky Rx. So maybe it doesn't matter which direction? As I can always adapt the Tx.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #43
LowThudd

Here is the mount I carved out of soft maple. Should work well. The angle can be adjusted with shims if necessary. Maybe not as easily adjustable as other designs, but dead simple and very light. Plus I love working with maple. Great wood!

Old 01-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #44
LowThudd

There is only about 3/32" clearance between the prop line and the cowl. Does this look OK, or do I need to take some more material off the mount?

Old 01-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #45
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Awards Showcase

There is only about 3/32" clearance between the prop line and the cowl. Does this look OK, or do I need to take some more material off the mount?
I've had less clearance than that at times, if it is necessary to have the prop line located in the scale correct position. There's a number of planes like this one, where the motor has to be close to the cowl top, if you want the prop in the scale location. The Cub also has cowl vents that could be cut to look scale, which would provide cooling air also.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #46
LowThudd

Thanks Bill. That's what I needed to know. Yes, I will be cutting the vents out. If I get ambitious enough, I'll sculpt some cylinder heads to go on the cowl. lol
Old 02-02-2013, 12:32 AM   #47
LowThudd

Although I will probably not buy another, this is a fun little kit. Just doesn't lend it's self well to Brushless/lipo.

I have decided to put the ESC down below, where the battery hatch is. That space is just too small to fit the width of most Lipos, and the ESC will get plenty of cool air there as well. I am building a shelf for the batt inside the fuse, as close to the front of the craft as I can. That way I can adjust the CG with batt placement.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:02 AM   #48
LowThudd

I pulled the ESC and Rx out of my Versa and finished up building the Pico Cub. CG is right on spec, even with the battery relocated. Unfortunately, I forgot to buy a prop yesterday when I went to Hobby People(my LHS), so I'll have to stop by there tomorrow.

Decided not to paint it. So it's an ugly duckling. Don't have to look good to fly. lol

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft