Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Crash and Safety Forum
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Crash and Safety Forum Punch something in lately? Have safety suggestions? Tell the story, share safety tips, and show the pictures here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
BroncoSquid
Workin on it...

Club: Bill G fan club!
Friends: (4)
Default I found out.....

........What happens when you plug the motor into the wrong two holes of a Parkzone UM T-28, WITH THE BATTERY PLUGGED IN.
Ow! Ow! Ow! Nothing major, just a harsh reminder, unplug the battery when working on your plane.
Situation: Just put lights on the plane, was testing the lights, with the TX OFF, and decided to put the plane back together. I plugged the motor back into the wrong 2 holes of the RX and the motor and prop went full blast beating up my forearms. Just some sting and red marks. Glad it wasn't anything bigger.

I'm either going to get good at flying em, or get good at fixin em!
Old 01-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

Thanks for the reminder. You can never be too careful. Good thing it was one of the smaller ones and you were not injured.

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 01-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
Fig

Friends: (0)

I got a pretty good slice on my thumb and forefinger when I reached up to adjust my Corsair and accidentally hit the throttle on the remote with my arm. I almost flew the same model off the workbench the other day when I stood up reached over and did the same thing only I wasn't in front of it. Managed to chop the throttle and keep it from flying off the bench. Glad my fingers weren't in the way this time.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

Ouch! Yeah, lucky it was a UM! Thanks for sharing. We all need a reminder now and then, I think.

Fig, I always try to give a thought to where I set my transmitter, and the planes orientation to me and others while it's 'hot'. Be careful out there!
Old 01-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
Fig

I am usually very safe when it comes to props. Spent years running nitro and still have all my fingers. But in this particular case I was adjusting servos and moving the model around so I happened to have them both in close proximity. One move in the wrong direction and next thing I know I am bleeding. It whacked the bone pretty hard too. But that was a couple of years ago, and everything has healed up nicely. I just really try and maintain awareness. The other day it was actually a jacket that caught the throttle and I wasn't in front of the plane. While it still made me jump I had to laugh at the thought of the plane taking off indoors.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

Tip...

Take a rubber band and put it over your antenna, take it down, under the TX and back up and onto your throttle. It will provide enough resistance to keep from accidentally bumping the throttle while you are working on them.

Tip 2...

If you are doing any thing more than a quick check and minor adjustments take the prop off. That way no matter what happens it'll just make enough noise to let you know you did something wrong.

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 01-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

I take my prop off before connecting the battery if the plane is indoors now. I was setting up my mini ultra stick, when I bound it (without motor even hooked up) it was bound with the throttle setting a bit too high. After I got done setting everything up, and final check of cg, I accidentally shut off the transmitter forgetting the battery was still hooked up. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the plane start to roll off the table as I was getting up to walk away.

Without even thinking, I went to grab the plane by the prop, which bruised the tip of my finger badly, and then cut my arm as I tried to open the hatch while keeping the plane from rolling.

Now I always take the prop off when ever I bring a plane inside. Especially after I forgot to tighten down the collet on the prop once, a put a big dent in the bottom of the table.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:10 AM   #8
raming
Ramin G

Club: HCAM Austin
Default I Found Out! (Fatal and Serious Errors to avoid)

I Found out (new flyer rookie mistakes!):

1. Putting Loctite Blue on screws near or in Plastic will cause the Plastic to fail within minutes. This happened on Motor Mount Plates and on Plastic Nose Steering arms. Read the fine print on the Loctite Bottle!
2. Leaving my LiPO Pack connected overnight after shutting off ESC's with Power switches will completely discharge and damage the battery. Battery while still connected will have several milliAmps of continuous drain.
3. Dropping a charged LiPO battery causing damage will cause a fire! Treat LiPO's with tender loving care!
4. Activating the trainer switch on a Spektrum DX5e while turning on the transmitter will 'unbind' the Receiver in the RC model and make you believe that the receiver is bad.
5. Copying the Negative expo settings from a Futaba 2.4Ghz radio, as is, to a Spektrum DX6e will cause very sensitive controls (Futaba uses negative expo to soften the sticks center while Spektrum uses positive expo).
6. Rubber bands attaching Pusher Prop Motor to wing motor mount will become brittle and break after several years of storage. (Plastic Motor cowling hid rubber bands).
7. Flying Phoenix Simulator with DX5e and then using same transmitter with actual RC model without resetting 'Reverse' Switches and/or checking for proper control surface movement causes unplanned airplane acrobatics!

Care to share your lessons learned?
Old 11-22-2013, 02:17 AM   #9
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

REMOVE THE PROP when working on the plane and verify the motor is responding correctly 9including direction of rotation) before putting the prop back on.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:25 AM   #10
raming
Ramin G

Club: HCAM Austin

Flying a pusher prop plane with sluggish performance for about a dozen flights until you realized that the prop was mounted backwards (Prop Lettering should always face the direction of travel). Plane has much peppier with the prop pushing air properly.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:41 AM   #11
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Originally Posted by raming View Post
Flying a pusher prop plane with sluggish performance for about a dozen flights until you realized that the prop was mounted backwards (Prop Lettering should always face the direction of travel). Plane has much peppier with the prop pushing air properly.
LMAO been there and done that. Amazing how much more pep the plane has when prop is facing in the right direction.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:01 AM   #12
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

I've been known to do that a time or two .

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Crash and Safety Forum