Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > UAV / FPV
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

UAV / FPV Forum to talk about UAV / FPV electric R/C flight.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-15-2011, 10:06 PM   #51
MadMonkey
OOGA BOOGA

Club: 114th RC Aerosquadron
Send a message via AIM to MadMonkey Send a message via MSN to MadMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to MadMonkey
Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by fmw View Post
FPV's are exactly what bothers the government about our hobby. We would do well to stop it voluntarily.
No thanks, I'll think I'll continue FPV'ing.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:46 PM   #52
fmw

Friends: (0)

It won't be long before the government stops you. I just hope they don't fuss with regular RC flying. I'd rather not have them messing with our hobby. Apparently it doesn't bother you.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:45 AM   #53
starcad
Model Designer

View starcad's Gallery14
Friends: (5)

Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
No thanks, I'll think I'll continue FPV'ing.
Me three on that I will also continue flying FPV as I find it challenging and adds to my enjoyment of the hobby.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:04 AM   #54
starcad
Model Designer

View starcad's Gallery14

It won't be long before the government stops you. I just hope they don't fuss with regular RC flying. I'd rather not have them messing with our hobby. Apparently it doesn't bother you.
Just for the record, I'd really like to know what you feel is so wrong about FPV as long as it is flown in a manor that pertains to what has already been established guidelines? What your saying in my interpretation is the same as saying we should ban all radio control models that use fuel as they pollute the atmosphere with toxic gasses along with there considerable noise pollution. So, while we're banning FPV's lets also ban gassers.

While we're at it, have you ever flown FPV? If not then you don't know what your missing. How does that old saying go, " Don't knock it till you try it".

Old 10-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #55
starcad
Model Designer

View starcad's Gallery14

FPV's are exactly what bothers the government about our hobby. We would do well to stop it voluntarily.
Have you got proof of this??

Old 10-16-2011, 06:31 PM   #56
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

I don't think FPV is on anybody's target list. All automobiles are FPV and they have tremendous range and payload capacity. Mail packages are not FPV but have great range and payload capacity. Neither has been eliminated in spite of the undeniable fact that both can easily deliver a payload lethal to more people and an FPV model can after difficult tasks assembling, designing, learning to fly, picking a target that would even notice such a puny effect....really the whole idea that a terrorist would choose to use any variety of flying model is ludicrous with all the better, easier and less conspicuous choices out there.

Should we be careful? Of course. Should we target an incredibly difficult method to deliver inadequate payloads to too-short a range to be useful? Don't make me laugh. Give our law enforcement just a tiny bit of respect.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:52 PM   #57
fmw

I'm not your problem. The FAA is.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #58
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Club: Mile High Club
Friends: (3)

I spoke with a few FAA admin friends after this topic cam up involving the terroistic threat. I got from what they told me, they have no issues with FPV as long as airspace is not busted and the number of complaints they get from a specific area does not reach a point they must look into it. Which they have at times, because a few flew in and out of housing areas, malls, sports games in progess etc. They have more complaints on utralights than FPV. Basically, FAA is not going to bother anyone unless someone causes a airspace issue. So, as most of the RC pilots who fly FPV are respectful...I dont see an issue...and if your just a dumb arse..and wanna bust airspace ..you better get a lawyer!
Old 10-17-2011, 12:42 AM   #59
starcad
Model Designer

View starcad's Gallery14

Ah! Just as I thought. This is nothing more than a Troll trying to incite. No I don't think I will play your game anymore. Lets put you on my ignore list.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:45 AM   #60
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Ignore what ever you want! Thats why this is a forum...but I guess some think its a private club! WHATEVER!!
Old 10-17-2011, 01:07 AM   #61
MadMonkey
OOGA BOOGA

Club: 114th RC Aerosquadron
Send a message via AIM to MadMonkey Send a message via MSN to MadMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to MadMonkey

Originally Posted by TM4197 View Post
Ignore what ever you want! Thats why this is a forum...but I guess some think its a private club! WHATEVER!!
Uh... he was talking to the guy above you...
Old 10-17-2011, 01:16 AM   #62
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Thanks Mad monkey, but I understood that....I'am just saying its a forum....designed to make comments and discuss them. I don't think we need to say who we are going to "IGNORE" just don't bite the hook..if you think thats what it was! I have made comments I wish I could have taken back, but I think most people on here know they are comments...and thats all! We seem so far to have the best forum going and I hope we call let everyone speak thier minds....and take it for what it was!!
Old 10-17-2011, 05:57 PM   #63
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

That was an illogical, irrelevant answer. I was merely trotting out sensible reasons that FPV is not and will not be in danger.

Law enforcement, FAA included, is not going to waste precious resources chasing non-problems. When an idiot flies an FPV plane inappropriately, the idiot may garner some individual attention, but the FPV community will remain untouched.

Somehow some of us have developed the attitude that our homeland security, FAA and law enforcement organizations have taken a stupid pill. Believe me, that is not the case and they well know how to separate real threat from stupid idea. FPV for terrorism is just a stupid idea.

So I agree that your answer is just a troll. I'll let you live anyway. Ignore button remains unpushed.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #64
fmw

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
That was an illogical, irrelevant answer. I was merely trotting out sensible reasons that FPV is not and will not be in danger.
And sensible reasons the are. However, you are dealing with government. Sensible doesn't have anything to do with anything.

Law enforcement, FAA included, is not going to waste precious resources chasing non-problems. When an idiot flies an FPV plane inappropriately, the idiot may garner some individual attention, but the FPV community will remain untouched.
Law enforcement deals with whatever politicians want to deal with. Remember, you're dealing with government. If the FAA wants to crucify the hobby, they will do so whether it is a waste of time or not.

Somehow some of us have developed the attitude that our homeland security, FAA and law enforcement organizations have taken a stupid pill. Believe me, that is not the case and they well know how to separate real threat from stupid idea. FPV for terrorism is just a stupid idea.
My term isn't stupid. My term is incompetent. It isn't that the people in these agencies are incompetent. It is that the governmental systems themselves are incompetent. For instance, the congress is full of very intelligent people, yet they act like children and work in their self interest and prove their incompetence every day. The government does that to people. I don't know why.

So I agree that your answer is just a troll. I'll let you live anyway. Ignore button remains unpushed.
Push the button. I couldn't care less.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #65
fmw

Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
Very true. The sad thing is when they crack down it will be on all of us, not just FPV.
That is my concern. I don't care a bit about FPV but I don't want it to get the rest of us entangled in the morass of government.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:49 AM   #66
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Well you better be prepared to can the paranoia when these people prove they have good sense, a clear view of what is and what is not happening with FPV, and reveal that they have much bigger fish to fry. I argue that they have already met their burden of proof.

The entire thrust of the FBI investigation into the jerk that was going to fly his EDFs into buildings (they go 100 mph!) wasn't how evil FPV is or how evil RC fliers are, but in the mechanics of how radical Islamics are using the Internet to recruit apparently well-adjusted lone wolf terrorists from within the United States. While you're busily demagoguing them as "incompetent" fools and "children" they are quietly doing their jobs in a sensible, intelligent, carefully considered manner.

Like I said. They've earned a lot more credit than you give them. A growing number of people are realizing that to be the case.

Now if you want to be paranoid, think about this. If you are a competent, intelligent agency which is making great strides in performing your duty to protect and defend your country, the best situation you can hope for is that people will think you are incompetent children. Your adversaries underestimate you to their peril. Advantage you.

However, if your actions subsequently prove you have a lot on the ball, understand the strategic and tactical situation and act accordingly, your adversaries stop underestimating you. Advantage them. Right?
Old 10-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #67
Dereck
Super Contributor

Given that I can't get out flying right now for some tedious medical reasons, I have to confess that I have a hard time seeing a point in FPV from a model aircraft. I have flown 'FPV' - the last time was a C130 in the back end of my RAF days, a spin-off from being a flight simulator instructor - and it's great. However, it was all the right way up and we had handy coffee - there are standards

The AMA is pushing hard that they have the latest 'official' info on their website, which I suspect is far less interesting to read than, say, the latest online catalogues for new and exciting products, and that's where we should be going - yes, me included.

I suspect the bigger problem may come not from the Grande Poobaas in Washington, the Disaster of Columbia, but from panic stricken local Iams who haven't made a silly law in days and need to flex what they pass off for muscle.

A fairly good example here is a local law just written, banning cyclists from phoning and texting while riding their bikes! After all the years I've been riding, I have no idea how I'd control my bike and text (I see no attraction in texting, but understand it fascinates a certain section of the population ). But if Chicago area police ticketed every driver illegally yapping and texting on the move, they could probably cover the costs of policing Chicago and all have a raise too. So why all the bother about a few dumb cyclists?

I'd hate to see any model aircraft flying format 'banned', whether I do it or not. Qualifier - if anything survives, it's likely to be the smaller RC models flown at registered club sites that obey basic safely rules, which about cuts me in.

Yes, that is the 'worst case scenario'. Please note that in your reply, it's pretty critical.

If that scenario happened, we'd still see hobby buyers flying in parks with no regard for safety or the rest of the hobby, so little would change for many.

But if it's me or huge 'model' aircraft and FPV - tough, folks, nice seeing you.

It still sits there in a corner - so why not join the AMA, add to our numbers, keep up with the real info on this matter and be prepared to pass YOUR views onto the PooBaas and Iams we keep in power whenever there's a chance?

Regards

Dereck
Old 10-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #68
Air-on

Default it depends

Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
Guns - superb devices for killing people.
D
I beg to disagree, as it depends on size. Why, they even make them .22 specially to shoot our friends!
Old 10-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #69
Kirsty_Carnage
A/V + A/P Camera operator

View Kirsty_Carnage's Gallery41
Club: Karnage Club
Awards Showcase

AP Contest Winner  1kW 
Friends: (15)

I havent been on this forum for some time now, nothing to do with wattflyer, but lack of time on my behalf.
WOW, this thread is all over the place...FPV, UAV's & even Guns. Let's start backwards here...guns....guns dont kill, its the person who pulls the trigger that kills. UAV's....America has the largest military UAV fleet in the world, maybe you guys should be asking the military to stop flying them in case they kill someone...oh wait a minute? They already DO kill people.
FPV.....a few total idiots spoiling it for the respectable FPV fliers, but there again that applies to all walks of life. Here in the yUK they have given us persmission for FPV, not above 400ft, not heavier than 1.8Kg & no further than line of sight & we dont need a buddy box now, just a spotter.

Come on guys, we are ALL in this together, education is the answer, show the naughty boys/girls what can happen when things go wrong, stop pointing fingers & take responsibility for our own actions.

Just my 1p worth

Kirsty

"Jar Jar Binks" Every womans dream date
Old 10-27-2011, 01:53 AM   #70
Toby B

I don't have any issues with hobbyist UAV guys as long as they have common sense and don't do anything stupid.
...and I think that's exactly what'll happen. The AMA (to go back 2 pages) is trying like
crazy to distance line of sight flying from everything else- programmed, video guided, heat seeking,
what- have- we.

So that when things go bad in non- line- of- siteville, we don't get caught in the spatter.

Will it spatter? Me, I dunno. But if model aviation in general's not lumped in with everything
else, if it does, we still stand a chance.
After the fact, I think it's less of a chance...

We'll all see, huh?

t
Old 01-11-2013, 01:45 AM   #71
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (67)

I'm lucky to have 3D Robotics (DIY Drones) in my own neighborhood here in San Diego. I've been there several times getting info and assistance. I've been flying with some autonomous quads and now I'm moving into airplanes.

Tell ya what, I'd rather have a 'GPS-auto-return-home-failsafe-UAV' anyday versus a regular RC airplane in a 'fly away' situation.

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 01-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #72
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

Club: AMA member since 2011
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (2)

My favorite field to fly on is a soccer field just a mile from the Federal Penitentiary in Terre Haute Indiana housing our countries only Federal death chamber.
I was visited at the soccer field one October day last year by one of the security officers from the facility. He said they can see my planes flying from the towers. I'm doing scratch-built foam park-jets. I answered all his questions and he seemed satisfied with my answers and I've not heard anymore from them. Although once in a while I see one of their security trucks drive through the parking lot at the soccer field.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #73
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (67)

Bob,
They may have wanted to see if you were capable of a 'yard drop' to the inmates!

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 01-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #74
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

Club: AMA member since 2011
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (2)

Originally Posted by Nitro Blast View Post
Bob,
They may have wanted to see if you were capable of a 'yard drop' to the inmates!
Yup. I'm sure they were.
I dinah tell them I had a drop module still in the packing left over from my Aero-Bird days. It wouldn't be challenge to make that work. But if an R/C plane were to do a fly-over of the federal prison how long do you think it would have in that airspace before one of the tower guards took it down?

My uncle was manger of fermentation at the Pfizer Pharmaceutical Plant here. When a Russian delegation visited in the 80's they asked about all the 27 mghz traffic they picked up on the plant site. My uncle said that Russian spy satellites picked up the local R/C club signals from the open field area were the club flew on the Pfizer plant.
So Big Brother knows when and were we fly. And Since each 2.4 ghtz transmitter generates it's own electronic signature they might very well be able to trace it to an end user.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #75
darkfire3814

Yard dropping has been done thats why they stoped and asked you im sure.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > UAV / FPV