Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #176
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

Friends: (0)

Because you have a computer i suggest you save your $$ and log hours on a flight sim, this could have been avoided.

Here is one for under $40

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DYNAM-6CH-US...item337e93d6cd

30-40 hours will help greatly and in the end save you a lot of time and $$

4-27-2006 Stryker B
6-05-2006 PKZ FW190 Brushless
8-25-2006 Stryker C
9-27-2006 Typhoon 3D
3-28-2007 PKZ Spitfire Brushless
4-28-2007 FunJet
9-06-2007 Kyosho F-16
10-21-2007 Phase3 F-16
Old 01-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #177
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by DetroitHawk View Post
Because you have a computer i suggest you save your $$ and log hours on a flight sim, this could have been avoided.

Here is one for under $40

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DYNAM-6CH-US...item337e93d6cd

30-40 hours will help greatly and in the end save you a lot of time and $$
My only computer is laptop with a 15 inch screen. I won't have it for another week or so as it is undergoing repairs. The sim wont help
Me set up the dx6 for trim on my plane and such. I'll just have to wait and get some personal training on a real plane.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #178
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
Me set up the dx6 for trim on my plane and such. I'll just have to wait and get some personal training on a real plane.
You are right, they don't help you set up your plane, but it helps keep the ground from "reseting" you plane LOL

Where are these pics of your wreckage?

Do you know what went wrong and lead to this crash?

4-27-2006 Stryker B
8-25-2006 Stryker C
9-27-2006 Typhoon 3D
4-28-2007 FunJet
9-06-2007 Kyosho F-16
10-21-2007 Phase3 F-16
Old 01-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #179
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

You are right, they don't help you set up your plane, but it helps keep the ground from "reseting" you plane LOL

Where are these pics of your wreckage?

Do you know what went wrong and lead to this crash?
My theory is that I pulled back on the stick too hard during takeoff causing the stall. There was a total lack of patience on my part right from the start. The thIng was not even rolling strait on the ground no matter what I did. But I stubbornly tried to force a takeoff anyway because a curb was approaching. I should have just powered it down the moment I realized I did not have it set up right.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:07 AM   #180
Brick
small Member

crashes are gonna happen !!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1563.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	165535 P-51 chaos

nothing to it, but to do it !
Old 01-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #181
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Lucky for me I found a club with a field about 20 minutes from where I live. So I'll be making some phone calls when I get a chance.

I am going to fix that bird and try again.

I'll get some damage pics up when im back from work.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #182
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
Lucky for me I found a club with a field about 20 minutes from where I live. So I'll be making some phone calls when I get a chance.

I am going to fix that bird and try again.

I'll get some damage pics up when im back from work.
Be ready, most clubs are full of snobby stuck up people who will not be helpful towards you, most clubs members i have found look down on electric planes because the clubs are filled with old men who have been in the hobby for many years. I have visited a few over the years and it seems like they are mostly the same. You should look for the people who are helpful and not just anyone who is at the club.

One tool thought i was going to climb a tree to get his plane unstuck and when i told him i had only been flying for 6 months he scuffed at the idea i would join a club "maybe in two years you will be able to join"; i reminded him that MY planes were in the trunk of my SUV and even with his 20 years of flying it was HIS plane that was stuck in the tree. LOL

Find someone local to you on wattflyer who can actually help you is what i would suggest.

4-27-2006 Stryker B
8-25-2006 Stryker C
9-27-2006 Typhoon 3D
4-28-2007 FunJet
9-06-2007 Kyosho F-16
10-21-2007 Phase3 F-16
Old 01-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #183
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Be ready, most clubs are full of snobby stuck up people who will not be helpful towards you, most clubs members i have found look down on electric planes because the clubs are filled with old men who have been in the hobby for many years. I have visited a few over the years and it seems like they are mostly the same. You should look for the people who are helpful and not just anyone who is at the club.

One tool thought i was going to climb a tree to get his plane unstuck and when i told him i had only been flying for 6 months he scuffed at the idea i would join a club "maybe in two years you will be able to join"; i reminded him that MY planes were in the trunk of my SUV and even with his 20 years of flying it was HIS plane that was stuck in the tree. LOL

Find someone local to you on wattflyer who can actually help you is what i would suggest.
I really appreciate this advice!! Especially since you have to pay a fee to be in most clubs. The problem is that I have yet to find anyone who really is local. :/

Even something as simple as helping me set up my DX6i for my Trojan and Champ would be a massive help.

Otherwise it is just going to be trial and error. I had no idea that electric planes were so frowned upon. But I do not want to get into nitro. I have a nitro car and truck, they are enough high maintenance as it is lol.

Id be afraid this club may be full of old guys with huge wallets, but I guess perhaps I could just show up for maybe one day to feel things out.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #184
TopSpin

Friends: (1)

DetroitHawk,I don't know what your experience has been but at our club there is not a single member who would not bend over backwards to help a guy like Matt. It is very disingenuous of you as a fellow RC modeler to try and discourage someone from seeking help.

Matt, by all means make the call and just tell them you are new and need some help getting started. I think you will find that there will be several who are very willing to help you learn to fly. They can also offer help and tips on repairs.

The TRUTH is not always what it seems.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #185
hoghead5150

Friends: (2)

while our local club is mostly nitro/gas, there are still electric planes that show up. from what i've been able to tell most of the guys that don't like the electrics are the guys that fly the giant gas planes. they see the electrics as "taking up our space".

that said, even these guys would help out anybody with any kind of plane. while they may not like the power source, the flying part is still pretty much the same.

i would suggest at least going out the the club field and look around. ask some questions and talk to some of the guys there. you may find that some of them even own a t-28!!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #186
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
while our local club is mostly nitro/gas, there are still electric planes that show up. from what i've been able to tell most of the guys that don't like the electrics are the guys that fly the giant gas planes. they see the electrics as "taking up our space".

that said, even these guys would help out anybody with any kind of plane. while they may not like the power source, the flying part is still pretty much the same.

i would suggest at least going out the the club field and look around. ask some questions and talk to some of the guys there. you may find that some of them even own a t-28!!
Interesting comments.

I was the first guy in my club to fly those "newfangled" electric models, right after joining the club about 6 years ago. The other members put up with my electrics.

But now, those same guys that are flying the $$$$ models with twin cylinder gassers, are parking their models when it's way to windy to fly them. And, those same guys are hauling out their little electric jets, and having a ball. Our New Years day fly in, we had some 15 or 20 foamies, and two glow models. Not one gasser. One glow model never got started, the second glow model's engine quit, resulting in landing the model in the plowed field, and tearing off the LG.

It was 14 degrees F, and winds were 15 MPH.

They've found it's time to retire those foamies when the epoxy repairs start to weigh more than the original model

One guy that flies giant scale models screwed his foamie right into the ground while doing a spin. He just picked it up, flew it again, laughing all the while.

Probably a half of my club members own one or more electrics, with the models being either those foamie jets, or with motors about 500 watts or so. With these electrics, you just plug in the power and go. No starter, no starter battery, no glow fuel, or stinky gasoline, no vibrations and so on. But, some of my club members are going to those smaller gasoline engines of the DLE brand for some of their models.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #187
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post
DetroitHawk,I don't know what your experience has been but at our club there is not a single member who would not bend over backwards to help a guy like Matt. It is very disingenuous of you as a fellow RC modeler to try and discourage someone from seeking help.
I never told him not to look for help, perhaps you should re-read my post because your vision might be damaged.

I was being very clear about what to expect out of most clubs based on MY experience visiting several in the metro Detroit area.

You can't tell people what to do but my advice is just that: mine. I have taught a dozen people how to enjoy this hobby and those people IRL respect my advice because it has lead them to great results. That's all.

4-27-2006 Stryker B
8-25-2006 Stryker C
9-27-2006 Typhoon 3D
4-28-2007 FunJet
9-06-2007 Kyosho F-16
10-21-2007 Phase3 F-16
Old 01-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #188
Chucksolo69

Man, what a negative post Detroit. All the clubs in my area that I have visited are nothing like you describe save one, and they are quick to point out that they are "fuel" only there. But to each his own. I think you might have said "some" clubs, not "most." Mattman, you might want to find an "informal" club and seek advice from people there. That's what I did before I joined a sanctioned club. We have newbies and guys that have been flying 30+ years in our "informal" club. But, ALL of us are AMA. We believe in being prepared. The site we fly at is our local senior center and we have permission to fly there. We adhere to ALL AMA regulations. We have a blast.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #189
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Well I just got off the phone with a guy from the local club. He is an 82 year old gentleman who said he does not fly as much as he used to but he does go to club meetings and such.

He said he flies gas only, as he never liked the electrics. He called himself old fashioned. But he did give me some phone numbers for some people who he thought could help me a bit more than he could.

He encouraged me to stay in the hobby and told me that he will try to make sure I get the help I need. He told me to feel free to show up at the field or club meeting at any time.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #190
Chucksolo69

Excellent. Good luck.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:54 PM   #191
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Originally Posted by Chucksolo69 View Post
Excellent. Good luck.
Thanks! I called one of the "higher ups" there and was invited to the field for some training. He seemed extra willing to help me in any way possible. He also said he and several others have the PZ-T28. He offered to set up my TX as well.

I am really glad I finally got some help! This should speed up the process of me being able to buy and fly a BF-109.

He said the club is half gas and half electric. Now I wont have to drive all the way up to Deleware for help! Wahoo!!
Old 01-16-2013, 12:20 AM   #192
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Way to go Matt !

When you're ready, take a look at the FMS 1400mm BF-109. Pretty good reviews so far. New thread on RCG discussing the plane's plusses and minuses. Had my finger on the trigger to buy it but then I fell off the fiscal cliff ! I'll have to wait

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 01-16-2013, 12:31 AM   #193
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Way to go Matt !

When you're ready, take a look at the FMS 1400mm BF-109. Pretty good reviews so far. New thread on RCG discussing the plane's plusses and minuses. Had my finger on the trigger to buy it but then I fell off the fiscal cliff ! I'll have to wait

-Hawk
That thing looks nice. How big is that in relation to my T-28?

I am guessing this guy would be a lot harder to fly.
http://www.bananahobby.com/camo-mini...5610-prd1.html
Old 01-16-2013, 01:13 AM   #194
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

The little ones are more difficult to fly IMO, at least they are for me. Twitchier and harder to see.

The big, bad #$$ FMS 1400mm BF-109 or the Folke Wolfe 190 would be a joy to fly. On my list....

Our grass field favors tail-draggers which makes these planes a plus. I've actually converted my T-28 to be a tail dragger after continously repairing my nose gear. Looks different, that's for sure but now I don't break the gear and there's more prop clearance. The WS on the FMS 109 is ~ 10" longer than the PZ T-28. Some gadgetry to it with the retracts,etc. but sure is sweet nonetheless. Here's the review
on YouTube: http://youtu.be/-Nq0_mGaZeo

If you want to go small and work up to a point where you're ready for more speed, try the JPowers series Warbirds. BH sells them under Blitzworks, HK sells them as Funfighters. Hobbyb and Toysonics have them as well. I have the Rare Bear and it's one fast little machine. Faster than my entire squadron of edf's. They are also cheap and in the same price range as the BF-109 you linked. In fact, there's a BF-109 in the series. Just don't get the AT-6 Texan. It's a dog.

Good luck on your repairs ! Youll be up in the air faster than you can say: "I didn't see that tree!" The nice thing about the PZ's is the parts availability. Most LHS's that are in the Horizon Network carry an array of fuses. wings and cowls for these birds.

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 01-16-2013, 01:26 AM   #195
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

way to go Matt,i hope you get all the help you need to learn how to fly! beware,hooking up with fellow rc addicts will make your habit worse.

hawk...your already pushing speed on the new guy.....lol.... a rare bear in newbie hands will cause a serious overdose of adrenalin....then the shaking starts with high heart rate and shallow breathing.

Matt,learn to fly first....then join the "need for speed gang..lol.we'll be looking for ya.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 01-16-2013, 01:53 AM   #196
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Well believe it or not. Big speed is not a huge goal of mine.

But I love warbirds, mainly of the Luftwaffe. Especially the BF-109.

Gosh I wish I could afford that big one you posted the link to lol.

Once I get good at flying the T-28 I am going to probably order that smaller 109. Do you have to use an actual Spektrum brand reciever to work with the DX6i? I mean they are not cheap.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:12 AM   #197
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Stuart's right . I don't want to corrupt your thinking before you get started but take my word for it, Nigel (Solentlife) and him will recruit you into the HK- PKJ world someday ! Talk about high blood pressure ... These guys are crazy fast ! After flying circuits over and over, you'll eventually do what most addicts do: Venture off experimenting with new toys. LOL

I'm a Futaba guy and buy Frysky's for about $23.00 and sometimes Orange knock-off Futaba compatible RX's. Haven't had a problem yet but not sure I'd use them in a $500-$600 plane either. Just don't own anything that expensive. Pretty sure that Orange makes the low cost knock off Spektrum compatible rx's. I think they are even cheaper than the Futaba knock-off's I see them alot at our field. Can usually find them on HK. I've been getting my Frysky's from Value Hobby lately. About the same price as HK but far less shipping cost.

-Hawk

Old 01-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #198
Chucksolo69

Be aware of the indiosyncracies in those small FMS 800mm warbirds from Banana Hobby. We have 4 pilots in our flight circle that have the FMS 800mm T-28s. None of them can get these planes to fly; they are pretty accomplished pilots too. Save up your money and get something like the Parkzone BF 109. Parts support is great and you will find parts at most hobby shops. Take a look at the Flyzone Focke-Wulf FW190 Select Scale models too. I have two of them. They fly like the PZ T-28 if you can believe that. The only challenge is in the landing since they are tail draggers and are a little more difficult to land than the PZ T-28 with its trike gear. Tower Hobbies has them and all the parts too. I love mine, hence the reason I have two!!
Old 06-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #199
MetalMilitia90
total noob to flight

not sure if anybody's still looking into this thread, just wanted to throw in my 2 cents and let everybody know I'm here I guess haha

I'm in the same boat as you matt. I just recently decided to start getting into rc flight so I bought that 800mm zero from nitroplanes that you were originally considering (total impulse, out-of-the-blue buy) because I wanted a good-looking, scale, 4 channel warbird. I've been building model airplanes for like ten years so absolute realism is a must in my mind.

well over on rc groups everyone said "NOOOO!!! YOU'LL HAVE IT IN PIECES ON THE FIRST FLIGHT!!! GET A TRAINER!!!" which is logical, so I did. I went to my not-so-LHS and picked up the rtf UM trojan that you were looking at. the day I got it was rather windy but I still tried to fly it and to my surprise, it wasn't as difficult as I anticipated (except for the wind of course, gotta love michigan) and this is my very first rc plane ever other than that twin engine blue angels looking transport plane from walmart if anybody remembers that. I only tried flying that once at night then boxed it back up for whatever reason, but I digress. I took my micro trojan back out later that evening when the wind died down and it was a dreeeeam to fly, it was so much fun. now having total confidence in that plane after maybe a total of two hours flight time (no real landing practice yet though) I had the mindset "YEAH! c'mooon UPS, bring me my zero!" so on friday, that big brown truck backed up into my driveway and brought that long one pound box to my door. happy as a child on christmas morning, I tore into the packing tape and marveled at the pieces I was removing from the box. This plane looks amazing, so I was quite anxious to get it ready to take up. I had to work that day so my assembly time was cut short, but when I returned home that night, I finished up the assembly and just stood back and looked at it, amazed at how great it looks for a small (in rc terms) foam airplane. then I had to figure out where and how to put weight in, so I got up in there with a small flashlight and noticed a couple little pockets just forward of the battery compartment and the esc compartment. I went and got my tackle box and happened to have a few small but weighty sinkers that fit in those pockets just right and got it all balanced up. then sunday came. time to get this joker in the air and see how she flies. I was wicked stoked because I had plugged in the battery a few times and spun the prop up a few times just to check it out and I was blown away (almost literally lol) by the power this thing was putting out so I was that much more anxious to get her up. so I get out to the field and am very well aware of how windy it was, but I was determined to see this thing in the air. I start out flying my trojan to practice landings a little bit more before taking my new bird up. the almost total lack of control on that plane should have been an indication that it was a bit too windy to be maidening a nice brand new warbird but I wanted to see it fly. against my better judgment, I set her down on the parking lot at the soccer fields, pointed her into the wind, and pushed that stick forward. after a hairy take-off, she was up and gone with the wind, carried so far across the soccer fields that I couldn't tell what she was doing anymore. one wrong input and I'm making the walk of shame (fortunately only my mom was watching haha). a nose-dive straight into the grass led to almost total separation of the cowl portion from the rest of the fuselage (about 2/3 of the way around was split) and to my dismay I see my prop now sitting crooked.

now, the repairs. the tube of glue that came with the plane repaired that crack but MAN did it take forever to set. I was holding it together for like an hour and a half and it still almost wanted to pull apart. while removing the motor from its mounts so I could check out that bent shaft, I discovered where those pockets for my weight led to so now I know an easier way to add weight should it need it. the plane looks fine after sitting overnight (other than the shaft still being bent) so as soon as I get either a replacement shaft or motor, I'll have her up and flying in NO wind for the maiden flight. if she's going down, I want it to be entirely my own fault, not the elements'

so how's your trojan holding up?
Old 06-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #200
MetalMilitia90
total noob to flight

sorry for writing a novel, guys. lol

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics