Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #326
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (17)

Originally Posted by heliflyer View Post
Little update on my stinger flying. I have been flying my original stinger nearly every week. Really feel i have got the hang of her now. My second Stinger has only been flown twice,so in as new condition.
I have decided to upgrade this one and have just purchased a Wicked 4000 plus motor and EDO type 1 fan from Dons rc.Just waiting for it to arrive.Im going to use the esc from my now deceased Habu. Its a E flite Pro switch mode 60A and just fits nicely into the Stinger. Im also going to use 2200 4s 25-50c batteries.
According to Don,it should break the 100mph barrier with ease.
I will post the results and some pictures when she is ready to go.
Egerly awaitig Heli. I have been jonesing to fly mine so bad. Cant wait until Spring to get her out and fly the dust of her but until then I look forward to reading your results. A video would be awsome as well

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:28 AM   #327
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 

fish,your not the only one jonesing my friend...my transmitter bit the dust and is on backorder till the end of dec. has been broken for a month now and the day it died i was going to bungee the stinger with new 3cell 2200 25c batts for it first real flight[first hand launch went nose in].lol..that does not count as a maiden flight..

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #328
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Holy Cow Stu. I remember reading about Tx geeze I dont know how you stand it. I would be looking for a loaner Tx somehow. I know when you get the Tx back and ready you will be flying outta control like crazed man, non stop flight after non stop flight, mumbling gotta fly gotta fly gotta fly.

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #329
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Stu,
I had an issue with my Futaba 6EX a while back. The pot that holds the potentiometer switch on the elevator gimbal would keep getting popping loose and suddenly, no elevator. Not fun. Was going to upgrade to an 8FG but instead found a slightly used 6ex on RCG with rx and lipo tx battery for $90.00 shipped. There are deals out there on RC Universe, RCG, ebay and sometimes on craigslist.

-Hawk
Old 12-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #330
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Withdrawal !!

I have to endure it near continuous given my work ! I get a few days home and BHAM - I'm of again.

Tonight I'm on way home again ... from Venezuela ...

Stinger ... as I posted back a while ago - for some daft reasion Latvia Post restricts seriously size and weight of parcels .... so the Stinger is unshippable to me ! Crazy !!

I'm gonna keep looking though to see if any way to do it ... I reckon a few of my tweaks I've learnt from my other EDF's may help get it to get up to speed !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 12-19-2012, 01:45 AM   #331
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

gotta flygotta flygotta fly fast,gotta fly fast..........sheeeeesh withdrawal sucks!

toms rc is where i ordered my new tx,the price is great!

Hitec Optic 6 72MHz+ USB Simulator
Hitec Optic 6 72MHz $134.95 online this tx normally goes for $170 and upward over $210...evryone is out of stock,but no ones price with shipping came close to tomsrc. i just hope he deliverers ....soon! real soon.

the back of this tx has a 72mhz spectrum module with many channel selections, but my 2.4 assan module with all my hangers birds on assan rx's plugs right in so i have to wait for delivery.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 12-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #332
heliflyer

Friends: (0)

My new motor and fan have arrived safely in the UK from Dons RC. Very impressed with the fast delivery.One problem,or worry i have is,Don recommended soldering the esc directly to the motor. I have to lengthen the wires from the esc as they are too short,so im going to solder the extensions directly to the esc wires.I would really like to then add bullets between the extensions and the motor. Do you think this will cause a problem?
Anyway, she should be ready to fly this weekend,although it looks like it will be too windy for a good few days here.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #333
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

i also like bullet connectors when the motor comes with them already installed. but if the motor wires are bare then the direct solder is easiest and makes for a very solid connection. one reason i think motor distributers don't recommend bullet connectors is resistance for elec flow and also possible heat transfer to the motor through the wires while adding extra solder for filling the bullet connector. i put a small metal parallel type pliers to hold the wire steady and act as a heat sink so the heat doesn't compromise the motor.most motor wires are only a few inch's. heat sink idea may not necessary but i need to hold the wire anyway...lol.

if you've soldered a battery deans plug on you know how quickly a wire gets hot down it's length. i use these pliers there also and the heat doesn't travel past the pliers. best is to just solder quick and clean.

looking forward to how your stinger turns out with the dons setup. you'll also note don says to only use the esc on his site...i think it is hobbywing type. but i'm using turnigy plush and they are very good.

the dons motors are great and I'll be running the 3000kv wicked soon on the hk pkj..... very soon as my new tx will be here Friday!!!!!!!

Old 12-29-2012, 05:10 AM   #334
Brick
small Member

Originally Posted by heliflyer View Post
My new motor and fan have arrived safely in the UK from Dons RC. Very impressed with the fast delivery.One problem,or worry i have is,Don recommended soldering the esc directly to the motor. I have to lengthen the wires from the esc as they are too short,so im going to solder the extensions directly to the esc wires.I would really like to then add bullets between the extensions and the motor. Do you think this will cause a problem?
Anyway, she should be ready to fly this weekend,although it looks like it will be too windy for a good few days here.
i am also interested in getting a few of the Wicked setups for my jets..i did too notice the mention of soldering motor to the esc ! good question about the wire length ! have you contacted Don about this

nothing to it, but to do it !
Old 12-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #335
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

dons disclaimer for those who shorten the wires on the wicked motors.....don't do it!

this is off the site,i believe people must push the motors past the manufactures recomendation and send the motors back for warrenty repair. we who push the envelope for speed often exceed what a setup can handle and except the damages on our own $.....i plan on putting a 5cell in my funjet ,should be interesting. i just want to say i think don goes above the helpful service and offers support to users of his motors by posting this on his product pages....

WARNING: Do not use any Wicked EDF motors with Electrifly or Suppo brushless ESCs, they can not handle the the high rpm of a 6 pole outrunner and will fry the ESC and motor. The Hobbywing Pentium brand of ESCs are the only recommended ESC for all Wicked EDF motors. If using any other brand please contact the ESC manufacturer to get the rpm limitation of the ESC with a 6 pole outrunner motor. If you are unsure of the ESC you have then please email DonsRC before you try as DonsRC can not be held responsible for burned out motors which are damaged due to lower quality brushless ESCs.
DO NOT SHORTEN THE THREE MOTOR WIRES UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.Shortening the motors wires will VOID any warranty and DonsRC will not service any motors or be held responsible for any collateral damage to ESCs, fan units, lipos, planes, etc when motor leads have been shortened. In other words don't do it!
NOTE: The use of bullet connector on the motor leads is NOT recommended. Direct solder the motor leads to the ESC leads with 1/4" overlap. Bullet connectors can cause issues that can lead to ESC failure and or motor failure. Use bullet connectors at your own risk.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #336
heliflyer

I have had a bit of a mishap. I installed the motor in the stinger,also made the thrust tube up as in Dons template. Fitted the thrust tube and spooled up the motor. Somehow,the thrust tube wasnt secure enough around the fan and the rotor caught it and shattered the blades.My fault for not getting the tube snug enough against the rotor housing. It is tricky getting the tube up against the rotor housing so hope nobody else does the same thing.
BE WARNED!!
Anyway,i have contacted Don,and he is sending me another fan unit so hopefully i will have it up and flying real soon.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:25 AM   #337
Brick
small Member

finally getting my Stinger ready to build. is the stock esc pretty reliable ? i plan on using a 3S 2200mah batt

Old 01-06-2013, 05:21 AM   #338
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Yes in my opinion the ESC is very reliable I flew mine on 3s 1800 I ususally got about 5-10 mins depending on throttle management. I have flown it on 2200 but verify your CG is correct and that it fits you may have to make some small modification to the foam but otherwise should fly fine. Good luck an enjoy lets us know how it goes

Old 01-06-2013, 05:44 AM   #339
Brick
small Member

thanks ! only reason i asked, i have a Phase3 Ef-16, i started having brownouts while flying. found it was a sketchy stock esc. i have some better esc's in my box now. just curious if i needed to switch the Stinger esc from the get go

Old 01-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #340
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by Brick View Post
thanks ! only reason i asked, i have a Phase3 Ef-16, i started having brownouts while flying. found it was a sketchy stock esc. i have some better esc's in my box now. just curious if i needed to switch the Stinger esc from the get go
Hunh interesting I was not aware an ESC could be a cause of or source of brownout, maybe some of the other experts can chime in on that. As far as the stock ESC is concerned I have purchased my Stinger from both Hobby-Lobby and HobbyKing. Hobby-Lobby boast that their servos and ESC have been upgraded over the say HKs. I did not notice anything had been upgraded, but that is either here nor there. I have not had any trouble with stock ESC with a 3s battery to date. I have not had any brownout issues that I am aware of. I do use Spektrum Rx and Tx. The only time I have had a brown out issue was whuile using the Orange Rx from HK and that has only happened once and in fact I still use that receiver in my Swift and have not had any more issues. Any way back to the ESC the only issue I have had with the ESC was my ignorence of using it while attempting to fly on 4s. ESC just was not upto the challenge for a long period of time also when I added a afterburner mod last year it did not like that either. Other than that the ESC has been perfect and I dont for see any problems you will have. Enjoy it this is a fun plane and can not wait until I return to the states so I can fly it again. It really has become one of my favorite planes.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #341
Brick
small Member

more than likely it was the dedicated BEC in the esc. i got my 64 from Banana Hobby. i see alot of people are using the 3S 2200.. i have alot of these batts already, so i will go from there

i use the orange rx's in 50mm Mig 15 & T 45...no problems at all

Old 01-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #342
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by Brick View Post
more than likely it was the dedicated BEC in the esc. i got my 64 from Banana Hobby. i see alot of people are using the 3S 2200.. i have alot of these batts already, so i will go from there

i use the orange rx's in 50mm Mig 15 & T 45...no problems at all
Ahh I see said the blind man. Please let us know how it goes and I love to watch video Gotta Love a maiden

Old 01-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #343
heliflyer

Still having problems getting this set up working. The new fan has arrived but now the Eflite esc is getting hot when i plug it in.Thats before i throttle up. I have briefly tried the original stinger esc,and that spins up with no problems. Looks like i will have to buy another esc.Wondering if any of the Hobbyking escs would be up to the job.
Good news is,my 3700 5s have arrived for my Dynam Meteor so that should be fun at the weekend.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #344
heliflyer

I still have had no luck with the eflite esc. I have gone through all the timing settings but still stuttering. I resoldered all of the connections,no good. The motor spins up well on the original Stinger esc,and the eflite habu motor works well on the eflite esc,so it seems Dons motor is not compatable with the efite esc.
I have contacted Don,and i have just ordered a Turnigy Plush 60 ESC which Don says should be good.
Will let you know the outcome when i get the new esc.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #345
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Hey heli,
I have forgotten are you also trying to fly the Stinger on 4S? Definitly interseted either way. The problem you are having sounds very similar to the problems I encountered while trying to convert the Stinger to 4S

Old 01-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #346
heliflyer

Fish,i have got a 4000kv plus motor and fan from Dons. I will,when i get it sorted,be flying it with Turnigy 2200 25/50c 4s. I have a new Turnigy plush 60a esc on its way so hopefully will be ready to fly at the weekend.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:23 AM   #347
Brick
small Member

got my Stinger flying yesterday. flew perfect. alot quieter than my other edf's.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1855.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	166001  

Old 01-31-2013, 05:30 AM   #348
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Awesome Brick. Glad to see/read more and more people are enjoying this plane. I have to ask was the picture taken before or after the flight. She looks just perfect I almost forgot what she looksd like brand new. I cant wait until my return home in 3 or 4 months to get mine up in the air.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:44 PM   #349
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Personally I thnk this is one of the best 64mm EDF out there rught now. She is just so much fun to fly and fun to experiment with. I was a bit unsure at the beginning but now she is just a blast to fly. I am probably one of the very few out there that dont like the Phase3 EF16. I just did not have good success with it.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:36 AM   #350
Brick
small Member

i always take a pic before that first flight

man, hate you haven't had luck with the EF-16...it may be my favorite. actually have a new kit i'm planning to do 4S

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets