Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Vendor Discussions > Company Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Company Discussions Discuss your company experiences here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #26
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

I don't understand why people still order from hobby king. Sure you can save $2-3 a battery, but then you end up paying more when you go to hit checkout.

My first motor/battery combo, I was dead set on ordering through hobby king. I was getting servo's, batteries, an esc, and motor. Pulled my creditcard out hit checkout and I was sitting at almost $30 more then my initial budget.

After doing the exact same objects, with a better motor, esc and batteries through headsup, it was actuall $2 less, and got here in 2 days from flordia. Considering I ordered at 10pm on a Sunday, and I had the parts in my hand Tuesday was enough to win me over.

We still did order some batteries from hobby king at the same time. I honestly have no recolection if they ever made it here. I know we were still waiting 3 weeks later though, and they still hadn't shipped.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #27
BBCorvette18

Friends: (0)

I've never had an issue with Hobby king but I try to only order from the USA warehouse and mostly just been Batt's, motors, esc's, servos, and miscellaneous other stuff. we will be making an order from the HK warehouse to get some monocoat to cover 2 planes and when we do we understand that it can be here in 7 days or 30. Yes the first order we did through hobbyKing years ago was in our hand 7 days later from HongKong
Old 01-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #28
TopSpin

Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by BBCorvette18 View Post
I've never had an issue with Hobby king but I try to only order from the USA warehouse and mostly just been Batt's, motors, esc's, servos, and miscellaneous other stuff. we will be making an order from the HK warehouse to get some monocoat to cover 2 planes and when we do we understand that it can be here in 7 days or 30. Yes the first order we did through hobbyKing years ago was in our hand 7 days later from HongKong
Just for fun tally up the cost of your purchase from 2 or three other vendors then do Hobby King. Include the price of shipping in all of you calculations and see who comes out the cheapest for the same order and by how much. If the difference is less than 5 bucks I would order elsewher just for the peace of mind knowing that at least I will get what I ordered and in a week not a month.

The TRUTH is not always what it seems.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #29
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

I really haven't had any issues with HK though when I first started ordering from them, I went in with very low expectations. Lesson #1 Never have a multi-item order with something on backorder. Lesson #2- Be aware of Chinese New Year. Order delivery slows down tremendously during this period. Lesson #3 Use Paypal versus giving them your CC. I can say their signature Durafly line up is pretty solid.

Lets face it, in the EPP/EPO foamy airplane world and for Lipos and such , it's all Chinese made wherever you buy from. So, for me, it comes down to good service and reasonable shipping costs. I've had great luck with Headsuprc(Florida) , Value Hobby(Chicago), Grayson Hobby( Georgia) , Nicco Hobby( Arizona) , Toysonics(California) and Leaders Hobby( Miami Warehouse) to name a few of my favs. I've even had no issues with Banana Hobby though they get bashed on the forums quite a lot. Can't say much for Nitroplanes because everytime I go to their site , they're always out of stock. Like Jetplaneflyer mentioned: " Do your homework !"

-Hawk
Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #30
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post
Now their shipping prices even from the US warehouse are so high they are no longer a good deal anymore.
I cant speak about the US warehouse but I know for sure that the shipping cost from the international warehouse and from the new UK warehouse are actual cost, they don't mark it up at all. 'actual cost' shipping is HK's stated policy. Assuming the US warehouse uses the same policy i cant see how other dealers could be so much cheaper unless they are putting shipping charges onto the price of the goods?

Here's a couple of actual examples from my recent purchases:
  1. Flybarless rotor head assembly from China to the UK: shipping $3.99
  2. T-rex 450 clone heli plus motor from UK warehouse: shipping $7.05
Maybe it's just me but those prices seem entirely reasonable
Old 01-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #31
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Jet,

I think the USPS has much cheaper rates than other Postal operators throughout the world. I know they are far cheaper than Royal Mail.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #32
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post
I have seen a dozen threads started by customers complaining that they can't get parts for Durafly planes. Some of them eventually get a replacement but it takes six months or more.
I'm the first one to complain that HK don't carry enough spares, check my first post in this thread.. but I was replying to this statement:
To me, the simple fact that they have zero parts for any plane they sell is reason enough for me not to buy from them.
That's factually incorrect, they do carry spares for many of their foamies. Here is 10 pages worth of spare parts: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ent_Parts.html
Old 01-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #33
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Yet heads up only charger $2 and readical rc only charges $3, almost reguardless of size or weight.

Why does it cost hobby king $20-30 to send me some batteries?
Old 01-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #34
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
Yet heads up only charger $2 and readical rc only charges $3, almost reguardless of size or weight.

I guess it may costs $20-30 because it's a heavy package and they are coming half way around the world: Like i said, some dealers offset shipping cost against the price of their goods, obviously Heads-Up do just that because you couldn't ship much more than a sheet of paper for $2.

Some stuff does make more sense buying locally, I've got no argument on that point at all. Just compare cost and service and make your choice. I dont buy any LiPos from HK international because
a) I've not had good luck with HK LiPos
b) They are heavy so cost a lot to ship international
Old 01-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #35
CNY_Dave

I am a vocal hobby-king critic, but order selective items that are in stock in the US warehouse and that have a proven track record.

For example, I use the turnigy 90/100 ESC and the turnigy uBECs, they are cheap, tough, and they work but I know full well god help me if I need detailed info, actual specs, or customer support.

I still can't believe that HK doesn't know, and never knew, what size bearings their turnigy motors take, and has no idea what prop adapters will fit...

Ask me why your DX5e is doomed... and how to fix it.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #36
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

ok, rhetoric aside lets look at some real factual examples.

Say you want two 4s 3300mAh 35c LiPos (a purely random example)

Heads-up: DBY Power LiPo $43.95 each plus $2 shipping = $95.90
HK US warehouse: Zippy compact $32.58 each plus $9.71 shipping = $74.87

QED...........
Old 01-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #37
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
ok, rhetoric aside lets look at some real factual examples.

Say you want two 4s 3300mAh 35c LiPos (a purely random example)

Heads-up: DBY Power LiPo $43.95 each plus $2 shipping = $95.90
HK US warehouse: Zippy compact $32.58 each plus $9.71 shipping = $74.87

QED...........
Good thing you got two batteries, otherwise it would have cost you almost the exact the same for a lower quality battery, and it wouldn't have made it to you in two days. How does it cost $9.71 to ship if heads up does it for $2?

I started doing a combo on both heads up and hobby king one year ago. And it was litterly $2 cheaper to order through heads up for equivilent parts. Everything I needed for my slow stick, including 3 $18 batteries. And like I said, in my mail box in 2 days.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #38
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Good thing you got two batteries, otherwise it would have cost you almost the exact the same for a lower quality battery, and it wouldn't have made it to you in two days. How does it cost $9.71 to ship if heads up does it for $2?

I started doing a combo on both heads up and hobby king one year ago. And it was litterly $2 cheaper to order through heads up for equivilent parts. Everything I needed for my slow stick, including 3 $18 batteries. And like I said, in my mail box in 2 days.
Nope, shipping for only one battery drops to $6.27 from HK so:

heads up: $45.95
HK: $38.85

So you still save over $7 which is a 15% saving.

Possibly you didn't read my previous two posts Heads-up do the shipping for $2 because they build some of the shipping cost into their product pricing. How could it be any other way? The actual cost of shipping is far more than $2 and Heads-up are not a charity.

This is not unique, some places do 'free' shipping but if you think it's really 'free' you must have been born yesterday, it's simply 'included in the price'.

Go to the USPS web site and work the shipping cost out for yourself. Shipping will come out to between $5.50 and $7.50 for a package of the weight of that LiPo, so HK are indeed doing it for actual cost, which I'm not sure how anyone can really complain about?

Personally I don't really care how much I pay for shipping providing the bottom line price is cheaper.

Steve

PS... there is a good argument that it's worth paying a bit more because you get excellent customer service from heads-Up.. I've no argument at all with that, we all decide how much we want to pay for the 'added value' that the likes of heads-up offer.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #39
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Order $3 servo's from each. See how many you have to order until you start saving money?

When you start getting into the larger power systems and batteries, hobby king is cheaper. Especially when you factor in that they are THE cheapest place to buy batteries. A lot of hobby shops rebrand/resell hobby king batteries at a profit and are still cheaper.

Even with all of that aside, I have still averaged the same or cheaper through heads up for the same items. If I start getting into really large planes and big batteries, maybe my mind will change.

What won me over on heads up to begin with was the quick and cheap shipping and customer service. My dad ordered a motor from them that showed in stock that wasn't, and they automatically upgraded him to better motor after waiting to see if he would respond to an email. As far as customer service goes, hobby king has NONE and shipping times are horrible. Could be a week, could be a month.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #40
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Yep, the US warehouse seems to have an (approx) $6 minimum shipping charge which I think probably reflects USPS priority mail rates... This makes it uneconomic for low value orders, no argument.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:11 AM   #41
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Friends: (3)

I'm the first one to complain that HK don't carry enough spares, check my first post in this thread.. but I was replying to this statement:

That's factually incorrect, they do carry spares for many of their foamies. Here is 10 pages worth of spare parts: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ent_Parts.html
Yes they have quite a list of spare parts there. They are mostly fairly universal parts such as props and such. But for most of their smaller aircraft they have absolutely nothing. Such as this aircraft here:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

We all know that Banana hobby is often criticized, but here is a similar aircraft to that above and they have pretty much everything for it.
http://www.bananahobby.com/camo-mini...5610-prd1.html

The banana aircraft does not cost that much more than the one from HK yet they have quite a bit of support for it. To a noob like me, that makes a lot of difference.

And this is not the only plane. As I was browsing through their selection of aircraft, almost none of their warbirds has ANY spare parts available. Yet none of their aircraft are vastly priced below Banana. They are cheaper yes, but not THAT much cheaper.

Now they are A LOT cheaper than Horizon, which is not hard to do. But Horizon has spare parts for almost every single one of their aircraft.

Again, I do not have a lot of experience in this hobby. But to me, the availability of spare parts signifies how much they care about their customers as opposed to simply making a quick buck.

Not to say I'll NEVER use HK. But when I do, it wont be for aircraft.

Forgot to mention, the Banana aircraft has one more channel and is slightly larger. Yet not much more money than the HK aircraft that has no support.

I will say, the detail on most of the HK warbirds is superior, but that's about it IMO.

I may actually buy one of those Spektrum knock off recievers from HK. Because IF I get good at flying the Trojan, I plan to get that Banana 109 in the link above.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:26 AM   #42
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

i think you have a good perspective of hobby kings value to saving money on many items.

i bought 6 3cell 4000mah 40c batteries to run in series to get 6cells into the Sig hog,and the GP extra 300's. one battery came with the #2 cell bad,it was .95volts. hk support requested pictures of the bad pack on a meter showing the battery front with meter connected,and also the warranty # on the back of the battery. i supplied that easy and will wait and see if shipping to the USA warehouse is required for replacement. if so,USPS flat rate box of the smallest size will be cheap.

heres my point,i paid $167 for 6 lipo zippies shipped[shipping was $14] and it arrived in one week. if i loose a few bucks to get a replaced battery thats fine....or I'll except the risk i took like a man and still go ahead and order 4 more 4cell 4000mah 40c zippy batteries to get new power into my 4cell planes and also go 7 cell series on the extra for greater power it really needs.

personally ,i'v come to except hk as a good resorce for rc stuff....but they'll never compete with stores like heads up rc,valuehobby,bphobby,horizon,tower hobbies,wholesale trains/planes,ect...ect..cause with these places the customers come first then the profits follow. jmho,stu

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 01-17-2013, 03:53 AM   #43
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

ok gang!!!!hobby king has credited my account for the battery and isn't requiring it be shipped back....now may be its just me,but could they be doing better for us here in the usa cause we'are buying more from the usa warehouse.

who knows,all i know is paypal returned $135 dollars to my account from another claim against toms rc, and hobbyking is replacing the battery. seems like a good day.

what i will try is to solder a deans connector on the defunked 3cell and see if the powerlab 6 can bring it back to life...lol...i don't think so but worth a try.

time for bed and sweet dreams of flying in warmer weather with fresh batteries .

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:07 AM   #44
hangingon

Club: no clubs
Friends: (4)

With Hk the us warehouse has higher prices + when I bought my 2 batteries it looked like shipping was going to be 4.99 and at checkout it was over 6.00 but I did get them in 3days. My stuff from heads up took 3 days as well. I still saved money buying the batteries thru HK but I did check heads up. My batteries were 10.00 each thru HK heads up was 18.00 each. I saved about 12.00 But the question also comes to mind are the turnigy batteries as good as what heads up is selling and that answer I don't know. Sometimes we don't know what were buying no matter what brand name is on the product. Example My harbor cub, Exceed cub, Hobby King Old Timer cub, SDM j3 cub is the same plane. When I bought my Mini Titan heli it was between it and a blade 400 the hobby shop owner said he felt the mini titan was the better heli but with the blade you get the DX6i which is better than the Sky master TS6 that comes with the MT. My thought was I'm not going to hold the heli and fly the TX so I went with the mini titan after days on the internet reading any thing I could find about the 2 helis before buying. But in the end he stocked more parts for the blade 400 than the mini titan and I didn't find that out till after I came home and crashed it and went back for parts he said I can order them and have what you need here in 3 days well I could do the same & not have to drive a 1 hour round trip and they would come to my house. Then thats when I said to myself I should have bought the blade 400. Thats why now I wouldn't want to buy a plane from Hobby King or Nitroplanes and places like that my Harbor freight cub I can get parts thru HF but they no longer sell the plane so 1 day I'm sure they won't have parts instock. I went to nitroplanes site and looked under exceed and for a year now out of stock. This plane was 79.00 rtf. When I seen I could get the same plane from hobby king - electronics for 19.00 it sounded good usa warehouse was 22.00 and that was ok so 22 + shipping = 56.00 thats a bad deal and they have no replacement parts. For parts to build a plane with on the cheap motors, brattery etc. I think hobby king is ok. For planes heads up, graysons, atlanta hobby, hobbytown usa I feel is better and your more out to get good help if you have ?'s about the build or what power system to use. So far my HK stuff has been good.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #45
TopSpin

I guess it may costs $20-30 because it's a heavy package and they are coming half way around the world: Like i said, some dealers offset shipping cost against the price of their goods, obviously Heads-Up do just that because you couldn't ship much more than a sheet of paper for $2.

Some stuff does make more sense buying locally, I've got no argument on that point at all. Just compare cost and service and make your choice. I dont buy any LiPos from HK international because
a) I've not had good luck with HK LiPos
b) They are heavy so cost a lot to ship international

He was talking about the US warehouse charging exorbitant shipping prices. There are now quite a few US distributors with the same or similar products at competative prices and far less expensive shipping.

Hobby King no longer makes sense for hobbyists in the USA except for possibly a very few items. I really don't see their business continuing to expand here in the states.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #46
TopSpin

Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
Yes they have quite a list of spare parts there. They are mostly fairly universal parts such as props and such. But for most of their smaller aircraft they have absolutely nothing. Such as this aircraft here:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

We all know that Banana hobby is often criticized, but here is a similar aircraft to that above and they have pretty much everything for it.
http://www.bananahobby.com/camo-mini...5610-prd1.html

The banana aircraft does not cost that much more than the one from HK yet they have quite a bit of support for it. To a noob like me, that makes a lot of difference.

And this is not the only plane. As I was browsing through their selection of aircraft, almost none of their warbirds has ANY spare parts available. Yet none of their aircraft are vastly priced below Banana. They are cheaper yes, but not THAT much cheaper.

Now they are A LOT cheaper than Horizon, which is not hard to do. But Horizon has spare parts for almost every single one of their aircraft.

Again, I do not have a lot of experience in this hobby. But to me, the availability of spare parts signifies how much they care about their customers as opposed to simply making a quick buck.

Not to say I'll NEVER use HK. But when I do, it wont be for aircraft.

Forgot to mention, the Banana aircraft has one more channel and is slightly larger. Yet not much more money than the HK aircraft that has no support.

I will say, the detail on most of the HK warbirds is superior, but that's about it IMO.

I may actually buy one of those Spektrum knock off recievers from HK. Because IF I get good at flying the Trojan, I plan to get that Banana 109 in the link above.
Don't forget Banana Hobby is in Los Angeles not China. They have a reputation for crappy service but I have dealt with them and they are way better than Hobby King and in most cases about ten to twenty bucks cheaper when you account for shipping.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #47
BBCorvette18

Friends: (0)

I don't see how HobbyKing USA shipping is bad.

1 5000mah 4s batt from HK- $62 for 2-3 day mail
1 5100mah 4s batt from Headsup $75

I bought 10 $3 servo's and it was $6 shipping the same amount as when I bought 2 servos, motor, and esc.

Now HK has expensive shipping for sure but thats why we only do large purchases from HK to make the shipping worth it. If we can find other sources we will and do purchase from them as well but HK has worked great for what we need out of them.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #48
tobydogs
love to build!

Awards Showcase

i love heads uprc, value hobbies,dons rc,ect..ect.

i just check my hk account and they credited me $28 for a $25 battery thus paying for the shipping in part. not bad if you ask me.it took exactly one day after getting the batteries and taking a picture of it on the meter to get the battery reimbursed which for hk is beyond quick.... i have shipped the SK 50-55-580kv turnigy motors back to china for $20 shipping and it took forever to get the replacement for a $50 motor. i learned the hard way that hk motors have QC issues on some sizes more than others[larger motors,loose magnets]. i won;t buy motors from hk anymore as Jeff's prices and superior customer service is better and for my larger models eflite 's are doing great.

but at Jeff's store his 4cell 4200mah 50c batts doesn't have a 3cell 4200 50c to make series 7cell, and if they did mate to make 7 cell the 2 batts would be over a hundred bucks.the same goes for value hobbies which also has good batteries and sizes don't mix for series use.

hk's has zippy batts that mate well for series and will cost approx $60 for the 2 . I'm also using the 4cells in the towerhobbies uproar and Sig cobra.thus i get new batteries for all my planes this year with the desire to get the same life i got out of my old abused zippies.

my only disappointment with hk now is the 4 cell 4000mah 40c zippies are out of stock in the USA warehouse. no rush as winter discourages my flying . one last thing,i don't use turnigy batteries as the ones I've tried were inferior to other brands. zippies are not re badged turnigys as weight and sizes are different. the zippy brand have served me well over the years and i hope will continue to do so .

Old 01-18-2013, 04:51 AM   #49
hangingon

Club: no clubs
Friends: (4)

I hope my Turnigy's hold up! Hobby kings site shows the turnigy has more cycles 160 compared to 100 for the zippy. I find myself looking at planes on the Hobby King, Banana, Nitroplanes sites because of the lower price. I've seen the nicer looking Durafly planes for around 150.00 but then shipping cost on top of the plane price. I can go to a LHS 1hour away and buy a parkzone, E-flite, hobby zone etc. and find replacement parts in stock or many sellers online selling parts. I have made the mistake of buying a plane thats hard to find parts for.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:48 AM   #50
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I have a few batteries with over 200 cycles on them that are still in use. One I flew everyday for 3 months several times a day. None have been turnigy or hobby king brand, but a lot of them had tthe bad luck of going in a crash too, so I can't really use that twoards anything.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Vendor Discussions > Company Discussions