Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Vendor Discussions > Company Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Company Discussions Discuss your company experiences here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #51
BBCorvette18

Friends: (0)

Ive got a couple turnigys that are 3 years old and going strong. Ive lost 3 outta 15 lipos but blame user error on all three.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #52
TopSpin

Friends: (1)

I don't think Turnigy batteries are all that bad, I think they are in the same class as the EZ flite and DBY batteries that Headsup sells. These are probably all made by the same manufacturer and will provide decent service as long as you don't push them. I have two Turnigy batteries with over 50 flights on them and they are still fine. They are 1800 3s 40C but they have never been discharged at more than 20C and I charge them at less than 1C so they will probably last a while.

For really hard service at discharge near the maximum C rating all of the discount batteries, including Zippy and Turnigy seem to conk out after 10 or 20 uses.

I have found that Hyperion and Thunder Power are the only batteries that can really take a beating but they cost more. I am a firm believer in Hyperions and use them almost exclusively now.

My biggest problems with Hobby King are their total disrespect for their customers. When someone has a problem they use stall tactics to hold them off until it's too late to to seek renumeration from Pay Pal or their credit card company. I also dislike the shady way they inflate shipping prices which is a dishonest way of profiteering. That's why I buy elsewhwere and encourage others to do the same. Maybe when they feel the pinch they might start treating people right.

The TRUTH is not always what it seems.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #53
BBCorvette18

again topspin I ask how are they inflating shipping prices?
Old 01-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #54
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post
He was talking about the US warehouse charging exorbitant shipping prices.
Do you have some real examples?

I'm not in the US but I went to Hobbyking and made up a US address and made a dummy order from the US warehouse and took it right to the point of payment. IMHO shipping was perfectly reasonable, see the example a few posts back, bottom line cost came out cheaper than Heads-up.

Seems that HK charge actual shipping cost based on USPS Priority Mail Parcel prices. That makes them expensive for very small orders (letter post would be cheaper) but perfectly ok for larger ones. The price charged seems to be what it actually costs to ship, so I cant see how you can accuse them of profiteering? The price is also plainly visible on checkout so I also cant see what's underhand about it?

I agree on the customer service point though, it does leave a bit to be desired, but sometimes they come good. It's actually no worse than my experience with a premium brand names I could mention.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #55
LowThudd

Their international shipping is extremely expensive. Especially if you are trying to buy a model. Often the shipping ends up more than the item. I have been buying china shipped products off eBay for years(not RC stuff), and the actual charges for the size/weight of the package is inflated a bit on HK. I've bought swords from china(same length as an average kit, and heavier), and the total cost has been lower than just the shipping for a plane from HK. They expect that once you start filling your cart, you'll be more flexible when it comes to the shipping for larger items. I'd rather pay a bit more(and in some cases less) to a domestic supplier. For small items, and things you can't get elsewhere(Turnigy 9x/9xR) HK seems to have a good deal going, if you don't need CS. lol
Old 01-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #56
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

International shipping of large items is volume based, so you need to take into account width and height as well as length. I'd be pretty sure that a decent size kit would have a lot more shipping volume than a sword.

I totally agree that for ARF kits etc shipping from HK international is prohibitively expensive but IMHO they are just charging actual cost. international shipping of large items is expensive, no getting away from it, but that's hardly Hobbyking's fault. I've brought kits in from other countries paying actual cost and it cost me just as much.

For kits from HK it's best to use the local warehouses.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #57
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

As an individual, I can send battery's to anywhere in the lower 48 for less then $5 a box. Now pretend I did it by the hundreds in a warehouse type of enviornment, I promise they pay less then I would. Yet for one battery costs $6 and two costs $10? They are profiting off of it, there is no way around that. And shipping should be much cheaper in the us then international, but again hobbyking will pay less then anyone else.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:20 AM   #58
hangingon

Club: no clubs
Friends: (4)

In most cases it comes down to how much money we have to spend and getting the best deal we can. Heres an example I was checking prices on receivers & esc. I have the orange rx with satellite receiver from hobby king it has been over a year with no problems. The orange rx w\ sat is 27.87 + shipping ok now heads up had a hurc 30 amp esc for 16 dollars & change and a receiver 2.4 dsm2 for 11.95 + shipping so for a dollar or two more I can get both items. Now with the batteries as I posted I saved 12 bucks with Hobby King over Heads up. It took 3 days from each to get my orders. I did contact Heads up cs and their at the top. I have not needed Hobby kings cs yet but if it's not good thats when I will quit buying from them so far both have been good HK USA It took too long to get my orange rx from Hong Kong if the USA warehouse is out of stock or don't stock it I want buy it I'll spend a few bucks more to buy in the usa.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #59
TopSpin

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
International shipping of large items is volume based, so you need to take into account width and height as well as length. I'd be pretty sure that a decent size kit would have a lot more shipping volume than a sword.

I totally agree that for ARF kits etc shipping from HK international is prohibitively expensive but IMHO they are just charging actual cost. international shipping of large items is expensive, no getting away from it, but that's hardly Hobbyking's fault. I've brought kits in from other countries paying actual cost and it cost me just as much.

For kits from HK it's best to use the local warehouses.
Even then, shipping costs aside I would be very cautious buying any planes from HK because they don't have parts for most of their planes. The ones they do have a very few parts for can take months to get a replacement. I would not buy planes from them at all for that reason alone.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #60
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
As an individual, I can send battery's to anywhere in the lower 48 for less then $5 a box. Now pretend I did it by the hundreds in a warehouse type of enviornment, I promise they pay less then I would. Yet for one battery costs $6 and two costs $10? They are profiting off of it, there is no way around that. And shipping should be much cheaper in the us then international, but again hobbyking will pay less then anyone else.
When i went to the USPS web site the shipping cost for the batteries i used an an example (4s, 3300mAh 35c Zippy compact) worked out within a $ of what HK were charging

Here is the battery: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

Weight of battery = 350g, shipping weight 395g (both seem reasonable to me)

HK charged $6.27 for USPS priority shipping on one battery and $9.71 for two.

Using USPS web site and Priority mail parcel service, and discounted 'on line' shipping rates and using Mi as the 'from' and Tx as the 'to' I find the actual cost is: $5.51 for one battery and $7.95 for two.

So HK are adding about $1 per battery on top of USPS cost presumably to cover packaging. Maybe HK get some additional discount but that's pure speculation. I honestly don't see any evidence here of blatant profiteering from shipping?

In any case the solution is simple. If you can buy it cheaper elsewhere once you add shipping then buy it there!
Old 01-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #61
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I worked for a place called skymail international for a year or two. Guess what my job was? Delivering and sorting mail and packages to and from the airport directly. Its not just based purely on speculation. We paid pennies on the dollar compared to the post office, and we shipped through every major us and international carrier at the time.

Anything up to 75 pounds can be shipped for about $4.50 through a flat rate box, and big companies and warehouses don't have to pay half that if they send over a certain amount of packages.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #62
hangingon

Club: no clubs
Friends: (4)

I think what makes it so bad the parts are cheaper than the shipping. We get hooked with the parts cost then at checkout shipping cost makes it not seem like a good deal. It would sound better if say a part is 5.00 & shipping is 7.00 if they would list the part for 9.00 and tell us shipping is 3.00 our brain tells us then it's a better deal. I dont think it hurts to shop around but some times cheaper means made cheap too! Thats why sites like this is good we get a chance to ask other members how good a product is and get others input for us newer guys. My rc history is rc cars, buggies & trucks I learned to always buy name brands that was carried in the USA for the fact of needing replacement parts.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #63
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Anything up to 75 pounds can be shipped for about $4.50 through a flat rate box.
That sounds too good to be true, can you give me the carrier you have in mind and the exact service?

The cheapest USPS flat rate box is $11.35 and that's only 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2". Unless you were shipping solid blocks of steel or lead you could only get a few lb in there, nowhere near the theoretical 70lb limit.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #64
LowThudd

That sounds too good to be true, can you give me the carrier you have in mind and the exact service?

The cheapest USPS flat rate box is $11.35 and that's only 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2". Unless you were shipping solid blocks of steel or lead you could only get a few lb in there, nowhere near the theoretical 70lb limit.
There is a small flat rate box which is $5 shipping. But to stuff 75 pounds into it, it would have to be lead, gold or uranium. lol I have shipped several pounds in one, same price no matter how much it weighs.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #65
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by LowThudd View Post
There is a small flat rate box which is $5 shipping. But to stuff 75 pounds into it, it would have to be lead, gold or uranium. lol I have shipped several pounds in one, same price no matter how much it weighs.
i stand corrected, I didn't click on the show more options tab. There is a small box for $5.35 but it's only 8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8"

Still, it should be big enough to get a couple of LiPos in no problem.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #66
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by LowThudd View Post
But to stuff 75 pounds into it, it would have to be lead, gold or uranium.
As a matter of fact if the package was solid metal the exact dimensions of the box, not deducting for the cardboard:

Steel = 22lb
Lead = 31lb
Gold = 53lb
Uranium = 53lb

So it would in fact be impossible to ship a 70lb package for $5.35... Unless you can pop a chunk on neutron star in the box
Old 01-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #67
LowThudd

i stand corrected, I didn't click on the show more options tab. There is a small box for $5.35 but it's only 8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8"

Still, it should be big enough to get a couple of LiPos in no problem.
Correct. I have filled one with all the hardware/pickups from a stratocaster. lol fit well, with room to spare. You could fit at least 3 well packed/padded lipos in there.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #68
LowThudd

As a matter of fact if the package was solid metal the exact dimensions of the box, not deducting for the cardboard:

Steel = 22lb
Lead = 31lb
Gold = 53lb
Uranium = 53lb

So it would in fact be impossible to ship a 70lb package for $5.35... Unless you can pop a chunk on neutron star in the box

LMAO!! Good one.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:18 AM   #69
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I should have said as long as it weighs under 75 pounds, one of the requirements for flat rate...

Could fit quite few batteries in the $5.35 box, and like I said, hobby king wouldn't pay half that, flat rate or not.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #70
TopSpin

Steel = 22lb
Lead = 31lb
Gold = 53lb
Uranium = 53lb

Ohhh, that explains those nasty sores and ny hair falling out. I'm gonna have to quit messing around with those neutrons.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #71
CNY_Dave

Tungsten, 61 lbs or so...

Ask me why your DX5e is doomed... and how to fix it.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #72
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
Tungsten, 61 lbs or so...
Tungsten is near enough the same density as gold or uranium so would weigh the same

A Plutonium filled box would be about 55lb, though I guess that might infringe the dangerous substances rules
Old 01-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #73
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Nah, thy let ya ship lipo's, and we all know how dangerous those are.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #74
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Nah, thy let ya ship lipo's, and we all know how dangerous those are.
Yep, if you believe the Youtube horror videos a Lipo makes 55lb of weapons grade plutonium look like a party-popper.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:04 AM   #75
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I'm still yet to have even a smoking battery failure. And I've smashed them on hard nose ins where the battery looked like an acordian. Had them go through the prop and puff up, but still haven't even seen smoke.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Vendor Discussions > Company Discussions