Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-19-2013, 04:14 AM   #1
Westwind

Friends: (0)
Default Faulty ESC

So I had a crash e with my fun cub. Broke the blades, and the motor stalls. It tries to turn buy just kinda wiggles and makes a screeching noise. I plugged it into my heli ESC abd it works fine. So is my ESC toast? is there soothing I should be looking for? ESC is a thunder bird 36A.
If I need a new ESC what is a god one for the Fun Cub

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-19-2013, 04:40 AM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Sounds like you already found the problem. Aside from a wire coming loose on that Thunderbird ESC (Which you might be able to see through the covering?) or something else broke in the wiring from the ESC to the motor, sounds like it's toast. There's plenty of good ESC's out there, but I found those Thunderbirds are pretty good and reasonable price-wise.

Don't know how new you are to the hobby, but just an FYI, with any of these RC planes or helis, always cut the throttle ASAP if the motor is restricted from turning for any reason. That can fry the ESC. Don't know if anything like that happened, just throwing it out there for you.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:43 AM   #3
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

Any airplane esc will work fine.

If the motor turns fine with another esc and makes screeching noises, more likely then not you probably damaged one of the bullet connectors. Give them all a good tug to make sure they are still fully connected, maybe even cut off the heatshrink around them to see if its fine.

If that checks out okay and you do ecided to replace the esc, I would get one that is the same or higher amp rating then what came on the plane. I would also look into getting a switch mode bec if its convienant, as they can handle quite a bit more without over heating, or even a stand alone bec if your willing.

More likely then not, one wire of the 3 that goes to the motor was damaged or the bullet connector has come loos. It is fairly easy to solder it back on if that's all it is.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
Westwind

Friends: (0)
Default Re: Faulty ESC

Thanks for the advise

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems