Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #76
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

If you used gorrila glue its stronger than the foam is now and does not need any tape .I use drywall (red devel ) light spacel to fill in the cracks and let it dry then lightly sand it sooth and repaint. If you are still worried about strength use the spacel and once sanded smooth put some foam safe CA right on the spacel and repaint and it will be strong like bull plus a very light repair. joe
Old 01-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #77
BenjaminDz

Friends: (0)

Ok guys so I shot a little video yesterday. I flew for about 30 minutes between the two batteries and crashed about 3-4 times. None of the crashes damaged the plane at all... Literally the only thing that happened was that it got a little dirty on the belly but I had tape reinforcing it so it was actually fine. Some of the crashes look bad on the video but literally nothing happened besides the wings popping off. I absolutely love this plane and it was the right call all the way guys. I really think I am getting better - 3-4 crashes in 30 minutes is not that bad and given that 1 of them happened due to battery dying and second because of a gust of wind picking it up. Let me know what you guys think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flat4...yYFXhw&index=1
Old 01-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #78
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by BenjaminDz View Post
Ok guys so I shot a little video yesterday. I flew for about 30 minutes between the two batteries and crashed about 3-4 times. None of the crashes damaged the plane at all... Literally the only thing that happened was that it got a little dirty on the belly but I had tape reinforcing it so it was actually fine. Some of the crashes look bad on the video but literally nothing happened besides the wings popping off. I absolutely love this plane and it was the right call all the way guys. I really think I am getting better - 3-4 crashes in 30 minutes is not that bad and given that 1 of them happened due to battery dying and second because of a gust of wind picking it up. Let me know what you guys think

I I use to tell my students to fly at least 3 mistakes high ,with your electrict plane you should at least try for two mistakes high ,remember altitude is your friend. You could have saved your self on most of those crashes with a little more time to pull out and you did try but werent high enough to make it. Keep practicing its the only way to get better . BTW Over all not to bad for begining flights .
Old 01-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #79
BBCorvette18

Yea try flying higher to learn its characteristics and slow flight capabilities. Then just come low for landings.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #80
BenjaminDz

Originally Posted by BBCorvette18 View Post
Yea try flying higher to learn its characteristics and slow flight capabilities. Then just come low for landings.
Everytime I got high, I got scared ... I didnt want to let it get up too much because of the slight breeze.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #81
Chucksolo69

Friends: (1)

The FB Stratos will handle a breeze up to 10 MPH I have found out. Just keep it high enough that you can correct any issues that crop up. You should be scared of flying too low, not to high in most cases. Just keep the FB Stratos to around 150-200 feet up and you should be fine.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #82
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Iam not trying to critisize you but help .The plane you are learning on is not meant to learn to fly in alot of wind so early morning and late in the evenings would be a good chance of alot less wind. If there is less wind or none its easy to get more altitude and less fear of being pushed around by the wind. If you get into some wind and it starts blowing you around just drop the nose a little and then try turning it will help . You should trim the plane when there is no wind and trim it to fly flat and level hands off . joe
Old 01-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #83
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

View CrimzonRider's Gallery18
Friends: (14)

. I really think I am getting better - 3-4 crashes in 30 minutes is not that bad and given that 1 of them happened due to battery dying and second because of a gust of wind picking it up. Let me know what you guys think

Pretty Good Vid, B-Dz, not too bad at all..... yeah a little drunken squirrel at the sticks in the beginning (most everyone does it when learning) No biggie....just use smaller and/or smoother "inputs" on the sticks. Like Joe said, altitude is your best friend. Don't be scert! lol Lil' plane does pretty good in wind....btw as you go up higher, usually you have to deal with more wind.

Have a good one flying
cr
Old 01-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #84
BenjaminDz

Hey guys quick question - so had many more successful flights this weekend and the plane is flying good. Given that I got a better hang of this, the look of the plane is starting to bother me due to all the damage. I was wondering if I bought this:

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...h/HBZ7785.html

Do you guys think it would be extremely difficult to put all the parts in myself? It seems a bit tricky by the looks of the body on my firebird.

Let me know as I am cosidering buying the spare body for cosmetic purposes.

-Ben
Old 01-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #85
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

AV Contest  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

I've never owned the Stratos but my experience with RTF planes is that it's not very difficult. You'll probably be stumped once or twice - "What the heck kind of glue did they use?" - but someone will be here to get you through that. Remember: it's just a bunch of parts glued into Styrofoam. You can do that.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:14 AM   #86
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Hey guys quick question - so had many more successful flights this weekend and the plane is flying good. Given that I got a better hang of this, the look of the plane is starting to bother me due to all the damage. I was wondering if I bought this:

Do you guys think it would be extremely difficult to put all the parts in myself? It seems a bit tricky by the looks of the body on my firebird.

-Ben
IMO I wouldn't let the damage/ bother you too much, unless it is heavy with more "glue" than foam and it doesn't fly right.
Even then some of that crunched foam can be somewhat fixed/straightened with hot water.
I would be somewhat more concerned with how the wings/tail/control surfaces looks and that they are in good shape.
Though I'm betting you could replace the guts fairly easily.

cr
Old 01-29-2013, 12:18 AM   #87
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

-Ben
My best old saying is (if its not broke dont fix it ) .You just got it flying good so why change anything just for looks .I would fly this one till it falls a part and save my money for a whole new plane when it does . Just my 2 cents . joe
Old 01-29-2013, 12:28 AM   #88
BenjaminDz

I was actually thinking the same thing... Once I get more flying time in, what would be a good step-up from this plane?
Old 01-29-2013, 12:36 AM   #89
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Ther will be plenty of sugestions comming but alot here say a champ or a slow stick i think. joe
Old 01-29-2013, 12:51 AM   #90
BenjaminDz

I thought I was picking between the Champ and Stratos as my first learning plane. So Champ is a step up?
Old 01-29-2013, 12:55 AM   #91
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Yep, joes right. Just gonna kinda depends on what plane type you want, that stratos twin, from what I have seen looks pretty good as a trainer. What do you like? E-gliders, warbirds, super cubs, cessnas.
If you only have a limited space available for flying, like the area in the video, you might need to find a new place to fly for bigger planes. just my two cents.
IMHO the champ won't be much of a challenge to you.

cr
Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #92
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Since you are learning alone and not much flying room or time flying i think you need to stay with smaller planes ,that being said i suggest you find a local club or find another electrict plane that flys slower and can't get you into trouble . I am teaching my son with a horrizon bobby apprentice with a 15 size e motor on 3-cell 3200 lipo pack. I have a buddy box hooked to his transmitter so he does not get into to much trouble and i can take over anytime i feel he Does . Do you think you are ready for ailirons ? Do you have a bigger place to fly ? How much do you want to spend ? How well have you learned on your plane now? Alot of stuff we dont know about how well your flying is comming along and if you have a better place to fly a bigger trainer. joe
Old 01-30-2013, 12:26 AM   #93
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

AV Contest  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

The Champ is probably easier to fly than the Stratos. A sweet plane, but not a step up IMO.

At this point in my career, I moved to the Parkzone Radian 2-meter glider (not a good choice for limited space) and the GWS Tiger Moth 400 which is a wonderful plane for me (I still fly it regularly.) But I love biplanes and tend to favor low-and-slow over speed demons and 3D planes. Where you go next really depends on your interests.

The Parkzone T-28 Trojan is a much-recommended aileron trainer.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:36 AM   #94
BBCorvette18

Fun cub they are so much fun
Old 01-30-2013, 02:49 AM   #95
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by BBCorvette18 View Post
Fun cub they are so much fun
Yep my girlfriend and son bought me one for x-mas . Its the second arf i have owned after flying for 35+ years.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #96
BenjaminDz

Fun Cub has to be the ugliest plane I have ever seen haha. To be honest, I think that Radian plane is a big ripoff when compared to Firebird... What is the difference? It looks absolutely the same = wings, tail, and even front prop + front cover. But itsl ike $100 more - so what is the benefit of it over the Stratos? Second, I will be honest... this plane is so amazing... : http://www.ebay.com/itm/GWS-Big-Tige...item1e76381901

I like the body and I like that suggestion - is there a big difference when flying twin-winged aircraft? Also, these are the requirements:

REQUIRES: Speed Control: 10A or higher
Battery: 7.2-9.6V 500-750mAh NiMH
Charger: Charger capable of charging the selected flight battery
Radio: 4 Channel
Servos: 3 nano
(1-aileron 1-elevator 1-rudder)
Servo Extension 6 : for aileron
Misc. Items: building and field equipment

Sounds like this would be a very spendy airplane... how much would it cost me to get all those parts?
Old 01-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #97
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Fun Cub has to be the ugliest plane I have ever seen haha. To be honest, I think that Radian plane is a big ripoff when compared to Firebird... What is the difference? It looks absolutely the same = wings, tail, and even front prop + front cover. But itsl ike $100 more - so what is the benefit of it over the Stratos? Second, I will be honest... this plane is so amazing... : http://www.ebay.com/itm/GWS-Big-Tige...item1e76381901

I like the body and I like that suggestion - is there a big difference when flying twin-winged aircraft? Also, these are the requirements:

Sounds like this would be a very spendy airplane... how much would it cost me to get all those parts?
Ha Ha my young flyer i through away the funcub decals and iam painting my fun cub .Iam also using the same motor set up like the guy in this video. They also give you the parts to tow big gliders with the funcub or they sell floats for it also. That spells plenty of funcub fun to me. lol joe
Old 01-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #98
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Someone else playing with their funcub. joe
Old 01-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #99
BBCorvette18

Thats no where near a spendy airplane FYI The fun cub isn't the prettiest bird its surely not the ugliest but it is the most versatile plane I've even seen.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #100
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

I think these planes were the inspiration for the Fun Cub.

Bush Planes

Respect the Cub!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions