Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
Alabama Flying Dude

Club: Alabama Phantoms
Friends: (2)
Thumbs up Who loves the Dynam 70mm Meteor??

Happy Flying guys AL. Flying dude here

I'm lookin for members that have or want the Great Dynam 70mm Meteor. I have 3 now. one belly lander , one in the box an one on the way from Grayson Hobby, A sweet deal at $119.00 ARF.

I cant say enough about her. There are a few drawbacks, when is there not,LOL

Man up lets talk about her.

Dude
Old 01-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
flyrc61

Club: Radio Control Society of Marine Park
Friends: (1)

I have one. Got it from Nitro Planes a while ago. Have not built it yet.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
Alabama Flying Dude

Default 70mm meteor

RC check out Jeffs, rcpowers, and nightflyers u tube videos

they list flap installation,,,, hand launching,, an great build videos i found very helpful. I highly recommend flaps with gear,,

hand launching is very doeable on a non wrecked meteor. rcpowers does the hand launch. jeff does a lot of builds for nitro planes, he has a great flap install video, nightflyer an jeff do nice build videos. Nightflyer has the best build videos.

I hope to upload videos soon on utube.

Good luck let me know how it goes or if you need any advice.

Alflying dude
Old 01-23-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
flyrc61

Hay Alabama , What glue did you use to glue on the horizontal stablizier onto the fuselage? Epoxy / CA / GG / Hot Glue
Thanks for any info
Old 01-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
Alabama Flying Dude

Default Hot glue

I used hot glue, I have a high temperature glue gun I got at Walmart., I ran a small bead and pressed an held it for about 60 seconds. try not to use heavy amounts. The hot glue in my opinion is a permanent connection, it bonds solidly the 2 piesce of foam together. However it will melt thru if you use a lot.. I dont like the low temp glue guns they dont bond well.

Alabama
Old 02-22-2012, 04:38 AM   #6
liff
Long Island Foam Flyer

Club: Long Island Foam Flyers
Friends: (0)

its a shame they discontinued this plane.. I love mine..

There were rumors the hobbyking would start selling it, but it appears they are only selling it to Australia...

Anyone know anything about the plane being available in the future?
Old 02-22-2012, 05:17 AM   #7
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by liff View Post
its a shame they discontinued this plane.. I love mine..

There were rumors the hobbyking would start selling it, but it appears they are only selling it to Australia...

Anyone know anything about the plane being available in the future?
I handled one on the shelf in the shop at Dubai .... but to be honest - found the foam and build quality to be very poor for the money ... it really looked like cheap packing foam and you could hear the "rasp" as your hand moved over the foam just like unpacking a domestic item ...

When I compared to my Jpowers and other foam models ... I put my money back in pocket. For similar money - I can buy a Stinger ...

Sorry to be blunt.

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 02-22-2012, 05:28 AM   #8
liff
Long Island Foam Flyer

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I handled one on the shelf in the shop at Dubai .... but to be honest - found the foam and build quality to be very poor for the money ... it really looked like cheap packing foam and you could hear the "rasp" as your hand moved over the foam just like unpacking a domestic item ...

When I compared to my Jpowers and other foam models ... I put my money back in pocket. For similar money - I can buy a Stinger ...

Sorry to be blunt.
I assume you are talking about the Stingers from Hobby lobby, similar to the sport jet from HK? I don't like the fact that the battery bay is so small... otherwise I'd have already bought one of those.

As for the foam, its pretty generic EPO, pretty much the same as most other models you'll see on nitroplanes and banana hobby. Make no mistake, the quality is nowhere near the Parkzone Habu. The Habu is a better made product, but also discontinued... but its basically the same design plane for half the price. The motor and the ESC perform well with 5S batteries, and it has decent wing loading. Even with a 3300 5S it glides..

Of course, for $100 its not perfect... but you get the flight characteristics of its much more expensive cousin, the Habu..
Old 02-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by liff View Post
I assume you are talking about the Stingers from Hobby lobby, similar to the sport jet from HK? I don't like the fact that the battery bay is so small... otherwise I'd have already bought one of those.

As for the foam, its pretty generic EPO, pretty much the same as most other models you'll see on nitroplanes and banana hobby. Make no mistake, the quality is nowhere near the Parkzone Habu. The Habu is a better made product, but also discontinued... but its basically the same design plane for half the price. The motor and the ESC perform well with 5S batteries, and it has decent wing loading. Even with a 3300 5S it glides..

Of course, for $100 its not perfect... but you get the flight characteristics of its much more expensive cousin, the Habu..
I don't live in USA ........ Hobby Lobby is a non starter for me ... so I'm referring to Hobby King Stinger ...

I can say that my Skyartec Cessna, Skyangel T45, even my real cheap Lanyu Me109 .... have better foam finish than the Dynam ... The HK Parkjet is in a world of it's own as well with a real smooth gloss finish.

For $100 - there are better IMHO. Every man to their own !

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 02-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
liff
Long Island Foam Flyer

I don't live in USA ........ Hobby Lobby is a non starter for me ... so I'm referring to Hobby King Stinger ...

I can say that my Skyartec Cessna, Skyangel T45, even my real cheap Lanyu Me109 .... have better foam finish than the Dynam ... The HK Parkjet is in a world of it's own as well with a real smooth gloss finish.

For $100 - there are better IMHO. Every man to their own !
I know how you feel. Even in my club, people have a big difference on what they are looking for and what they like/dislike. What is important to some people is not to others, and vice versa. As you said, to each his own!
Old 02-27-2012, 01:34 AM   #11
flyrc61

Default Dynam Meteor

A shop in canada sells the meteor. check out their web site.
www.snhobbies.com out of stock at this time .
Old 05-16-2012, 01:50 AM   #12
Alabama Flying Dude

Default back in stock meteor

grayson has 70 meteors back in

Crashed meteor on l lowwwwwwwwwwww fly by, snagged a wing an cartwheeled.

Heck of a airframe, I have it completely taped over with packing tape, many stalls an crashes, still goes back up.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:24 AM   #13
Wrongway-Feldman

Friends: (5)

Originally Posted by flyrc61 View Post
A shop in canada sells the meteor. check out their web site.
www.snhobbies.com out of stock at this time .
Wow. I just checked out shipping from them to me in Calgary.
More expensive to ship in Canada than anything coming from the states or china.

----------------------------------------------------------
Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #14
Alabama Flying Dude

Default $$$ meteor

yea Grayson is about 250 miles from me in alabama I do know to canada is a lot, that sucks.

For several months this year everyone was out of stock of meteors, I heard conflicts with production similarities with the habu and or very popular an china got burned on production, take your pick of the rumor mill lol.

most likley your supplier will get in stock soon. lots of utubes on the meteor. It is for the money as close to the habus speed. an on a 5 cell,,after you break the morot an fan in on a 4 cell,,, a rocket.

I just crashed a dynam f-16 an I am trying the f-16 kit from hobbypeople.net 34.99 with 8.00 shippin to me, Im puttin the gear from the tootaled dynam in her.

Maybe hoppypeople is more reasonable?

Flying dude
Old 12-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #15
boxster

Sorry to be blunt.
thats not true actually. i have had a few foam edfs over the years, and the EPO foam this model is made from is more like ELAPOR foam which MULTIPLEX use , which is very good. sure , there are smoother foams out there which are very brittle and don t last 2 minutes without chips and dents
Old 12-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #16
boxster

Originally Posted by Alabama Flying Dude View Post
Happy Flying guys AL. Flying dude here

I'm lookin for members that have or want the Great Dynam 70mm Meteor. I have 3 now. one belly lander , one in the box an one on the way from Grayson Hobby, A sweet deal at $119.00 ARF.

I cant say enough about her. There are a few drawbacks, when is there not,LOL

Man up lets talk about her.

Dude
hi mate. just got one of these, probably put it together after christmas. looks good , especially 4 the price. im going to change the s/controller 4 an 80amp, and use a metal gear servo on the elevator.i ll be using 4 cell 2200 and 3200. if it goes well ill probably up it to 5 cell 2600 s. not had an EDF for a few years , ive been playing with funjets. great performance , a bit small , not great 2 look at either, compared 2 whats available. any bad traits with the meteor ?
Old 12-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #17
heliflyer

I have just finished putting my Meteor together. Quality wise,its as good as any multiplex model i have seen and handled. Went together very well. I did do the elevator mod to give a bit more throw and put clear tape on the leading edges to give it a bit more protection.
I have also left off the landing gear,under hand launch for this one.
To start with,i have got a couple of Overlander 3350 4s,they are light so the Meteor balances with the batteries up against the front of the bay.
Just need some less windy weather to do the maiden.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #18
heliflyer

I maidened the Meteor today. I was using an Overlander 3350 4s 25c lipo. The wind was around 7mph. I hand launch my edfs,so for this one,i held it between the wing and elevator,gripping the fuselage from above. Full throttle and a firm push,slightly upward angle and she was away.Climbed to a good height and turned her down wind. As for trimming,a couple of clicks of down and a click or two of right aileron and she was tracking nice and level.Flew her for 3 minutes and brought her into land. She does like to float on a bit but no nasty vices at slow speed. I then used a Turnigy 2200 4s 25-50 fot the next flight. Again,WOT and she was away with a firm push. Not quite so quick on the nano,but still flew very well. Again,landed after 3 minutes. The battery was only slightly warm,not yet had the chance to see what i need to put back.
As to hand launching,i had four flights altogether and she flew away nice and straight with no loss of altitude with just a firm push.
I really love this jet,well worth the money and i can see me getting another one as a spare really soon.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #19
heliflyer

Took the Meteor up the field again this morning. Very cloudy and that horrible misty rain. Had two good flights,using the under hand launch,with no problems.
This plane is fantastic. So stable,compared to my Stingers and so much quicker.
I havent had a change yet to doppler it,does anybody know what the rough speed is with the stock set up and using a 2350 4s battery?
Anyway,decided to call it a day as visibility was really bad,didnt want to come home with a broken plane.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:28 AM   #20
Mikejeff

Default do not have one

I do not have this part, but my friend have one, maybe he will interested in that, i will tell him about this.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #21
heliflyer

My Meteor is now flying with zippy compact 3700 5s. Much faster than on fours,Dont think i will be using 4s anymore

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets