Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-23-2013, 03:04 AM   #1176
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by Panther View Post
Years ago when I was working I had access to oxy acet welding plant and used to make all my own alloy mufflers especially for my 1/4 scale and some 60 size scale planes. They worked well and I could custom them to fit the cowl and put the exhaust where I wanted it. Ah, those were the days.... lol
............... if only !

What I object to is the crap bolt on alloy supplied which hardly alters the sound at all ... and then if you want proper silencing - you have to go to a 3rd party supplier and pay ridiculous pricing that is near same as you pay for your car silencer !!

Note I am not talking about ones just redesigned to fit particular cowls .. ie Pitts etc. - I am referring to silencers that actually silence ! Few and far between I might add.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 01-23-2013, 05:46 AM   #1177
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by LowThudd View Post
The diesel gets it's effficiency from the fact that it can run anywhere from 10:1 air fuel ratio to over 30:1, which is why turbos work so well on a diesel. http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...injection.html
Added to the diesel engine efficiency is the lack of a carb butterfly. Gasoline engines use a butterfly in the carb. So the gasoline engine is pulling a vacuum in the intake manifold while running at light loads. That's a vacuum pump, and running a vacuum pump takes energy. The diesel engine has no carb butterfly, and is more efficient at light loads.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #1178
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 

These gas warbirds are from Germany and you can beat the sound of some of thos gas radial motors they are running .
Old 01-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #1179
Panther

Friends: (0)

wow!! that was worth watching...
Old 01-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #1180
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

I love the two Dora's in the vid ... I've always had an eye for the 190D ..

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 01-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #1181
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

There are thousands of those big warbird flyins all over the US and the world also ,I have went to alot of flyins and have only seen a couple electrict warbirds at some of these and i dont think from the great sound of those motors it wont change anytime soon. joe
Old 01-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #1182
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Thsi is the new horrizon 10cc gas motor on a 46 size 3-D plane . joe
Old 01-25-2013, 10:54 PM   #1183
dgholmes59

Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
Thsi is the new horrizon 10cc gas motor on a 46 size 3-D plane . joe
Wow! I really like that engine. More, I wish I could fly like that.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #1184
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

He flew that flight on that small gas tank so how many hours of flying time can he get on a gallon of gas.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #1185
dgholmes59

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
He flew that flight on that small gas tank so how many hours of flying time can he get on a gallon of gas.
Now I could kick myself for selling a few of my glow planes. I could have just changed the engines out. Horizon had this video on flying time.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:42 AM   #1186
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by dgholmes59 View Post
Now I could kick myself for selling a few of my glow planes. I could have just changed the engines out. Horizon had this video on flying time.
Or, putting in a modern high power brushless motor set up.

DennyV
Old 01-26-2013, 03:56 AM   #1187
dgholmes59

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Or, putting in a modern high power brushless motor set up.
Yeah, that too!! LOL More so that.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #1188
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Electric is great .... but having had the 15cc RCGF - my wet-fuel passion is re-lit.

Nigel

Old 01-07-2014, 10:21 PM   #1189
HiSpeedTrkr

Smile

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Added to the diesel engine efficiency is the lack of a carb butterfly. Gasoline engines use a butterfly in the carb. So the gasoline engine is pulling a vacuum in the intake manifold while running at light loads. That's a vacuum pump, and running a vacuum pump takes energy. The diesel engine has no carb butterfly, and is more efficient at light loads.
U betta stek too ur gobblygok milln wurd stuf abot eliktrec!!!!!! U dunt no squatt abot deesl!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-10-2014, 04:20 AM   #1190
c.sitas

Sounds like a real weed wacker . Could it just be someone just trimming the hedge. After all that's where a lot of these motors come from. I do some kind of hobby mods for people. Redoing these motors is one of the things. After all an old gent needs something to keep your mind and hands busy, besides flying. I love the wet ones ,but I fly E myself . Less mess and fuss.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:17 AM   #1191
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Default Farm Tractor pulling Tree

Originally Posted by HiSpeedTrkr View Post
U betta stek too ur gobblygok milln wurd stuf abot eliktrec!!!!!! U dunt no squatt abot deesl!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm an old farm boy who grew up with both gas and diesel tractors. Spent countless hours driving both of them during the high school days.

No question about it, at the same crop dryer type of light loads, diesel engines far outperform gasoline engines in fuel consumption. Not to mention pulling plows, field choppers and similar type loads that ran those engines at full load for the entire day. That's why I get a real laugh out of those TV commercials that show a pickup truck pulling a big rock or a big stump out of the ground. Something our 13,000 pound bulldozer that we had on our farm could not do. Or even our 8000 pound diesel farm tractor that is designed and geared to pull heavy loads. One of these will drag a big pickup truck all over the road, even with the pickup trucks brakes all locked. (Yeah, I did that.)

Just look at www.tractordata.com and compare test results between the two engine types.

(Lets see a pickup truck do this!)

This thing goes about 17,000 pounds, without added wheel weights.

DennyV
Old 01-10-2014, 05:21 AM   #1192
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by c.sitas View Post
Sounds like a real weed wacker . Could it just be someone just trimming the hedge. After all that's where a lot of these motors come from. I do some kind of hobby mods for people. Redoing these motors is one of the things. After all an old gent needs something to keep your mind and hands busy, besides flying. I love the wet ones ,but I fly E myself . Less mess and fuss.
Seems to me my club members that fly gassers have indicated these newer engines such as the DLE's are designed from the start as model airplane engines.

Some of my club members do go back to the Quadra days. And guy I know is the guy that designed the "Overbalancing" for the Quadra engine, so it would not shake your model to pieces.

DennyV
Old 01-10-2014, 06:27 AM   #1193
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

Club: Lorain County R/C Club
Friends: (5)

Probably not too many converted weed whacker engines out there anymore, except by do-it-yourselfers.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:01 AM   #1194
HiSpeedTrkr

Cool

OL Kiletakemtek kod revrt a weadwhakr to pul stumpks outen ur yard n fley awy widdem
Old 05-02-2014, 12:06 AM   #1195
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

This thread is over 7 years old. In response to the original question the answer seems to be, clearly not.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:27 PM   #1196
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (88)

Originally Posted by Turner View Post
This thread is over 7 years old. In response to the original question the answer seems to be, clearly not.
Slowly,,,7 years an counting,,, right on schedule!!!
bubsteve

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 017.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	175538  

Monkey Minion'air
Old 05-02-2014, 05:17 PM   #1197
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

The title is actually a bit misleading I find .. Gas - is that meant as WET fuel or GASOLINE or Glow Fuel ... I do so dislike the term Nitro (Nitro is only a small % of the mix if any).

I answered quite a way back I think ... but I see the thread still around .. and today I was thinking ...

Electric has moved RC Flying more to the parks and closer to residences .. the often mistaken feeling that electric is safer and the reduction of gear to fly .. the extent of model types etc. has moved it closer. So it appears to be overwhelming the other forms.
Gasoline - I think from what I read .. see ... online in adverts - appears to be a growing arena particularly in the 33 - 50cc class where I am.
Glow fuel though is getting to be less - at least where I am ... I only know 2 people in my group with glow and I'm one of them.
I go to meets and it's E-power and Gasoline second .. with an odd glow job somewhere.

I would hazard a guess the E=power numbers have blossomed, gasoline powered has had good success, and glow declined maybe .. but overall - I would say there is a growth of overall numbers in RC flying ...

Nigel

Old 05-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #1198
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
The title is actually a bit misleading I find .. Gas - is that meant as WET fuel or GASOLINE or Glow Fuel ... I do so dislike the term Nitro (Nitro is only a small % of the mix if any).

I answered quite a way back I think ... but I see the thread still around .. and today I was thinking ...

Electric has moved RC Flying more to the parks and closer to residences .. the often mistaken feeling that electric is safer and the reduction of gear to fly .. the extent of model types etc. has moved it closer. So it appears to be overwhelming the other forms.
Gasoline - I think from what I read .. see ... online in adverts - appears to be a growing arena particularly in the 33 - 50cc class where I am.
Glow fuel though is getting to be less - at least where I am ... I only know 2 people in my group with glow and I'm one of them.
I go to meets and it's E-power and Gasoline second .. with an odd glow job somewhere.

I would hazard a guess the E=power numbers have blossomed, gasoline powered has had good success, and glow declined maybe .. but overall - I would say there is a growth of overall numbers in RC flying ...

Nigel
The club I belong to is about 1/3 gasoline, 1/3 glow, 1/3 electric, with a couple of $$$$ wet turbine models thrown in.

Those members flying the 60 plus sized glow engines are now converting to that 15 cc gasser engine. Far cheaper to run, and they are reliable in flight.

Last summer, one of my club members traveled to a near by acrobatic pattern competition event. He was surprised, only one model was glow powered, all the rest were electric power. Just guessing, maybe the absolute consistancy of the electric power systems plays a part??

Lastly, its fun to what what is put into the air when the wind hits 15 - 20 MPH or more around here. Out come those 100 MPH foamie jets, while the $$$$ giant scale models owned by the same foamie jet pilots stay in their vehicles.

DennyV
Old 05-02-2014, 06:47 PM   #1199
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)

The club just past Kenora, Ontario is all gassers, except for one guy. Most of the guys are at least 60, and many running 72 or an old radio converted to 2.4. All planes were huge except for the one electric plane and a gasser wing. One benefit of gas with the wing is that the motor was setup so the prop would stop horizontal preventing the prop on the front from striking the ground. Other than that, the gas planes were annoying as I was watching for 30 minutes 10 guys revving up their planes on stands. Then one guy takes a plane out of his truck, puts it on the field and flies. I could never see myself going the wet fuel route. Why would I want to go out there at noon, and spend an hour before flying, when I can bring a bunch of lipos and fly a number of times. I don't think gas is dying, per se, as I see it has a scale factor on planes like warbirds, but it definitely pertains to those who are in retirement I feel. Of course there are many of you here that only fly electric and are retired, but based on what I saw at the club, the 60+ group was flying huge gas planes, and the 30 year old guy was flying a smaller electric.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #1200
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by thepiper92 View Post
The club just past Kenora, Ontario is all gassers, except for one guy. Most of the guys are at least 60, and many running 72 or an old radio converted to 2.4. All planes were huge except for the one electric plane and a gasser wing. One benefit of gas with the wing is that the motor was setup so the prop would stop horizontal preventing the prop on the front from striking the ground. Other than that, the gas planes were annoying as I was watching for 30 minutes 10 guys revving up their planes on stands. Then one guy takes a plane out of his truck, puts it on the field and flies. I could never see myself going the wet fuel route. Why would I want to go out there at noon, and spend an hour before flying, when I can bring a bunch of lipos and fly a number of times. I don't think gas is dying, per se, as I see it has a scale factor on planes like warbirds, but it definitely pertains to those who are in retirement I feel. Of course there are many of you here that only fly electric and are retired, but based on what I saw at the club, the 60+ group was flying huge gas planes, and the 30 year old guy was flying a smaller electric.
I fly all 3 disciplines ....... E, Glow and Gasoline. It is extremely rare that I ever sit playing needles and throttles with engines.

I've run from 022, 049 up to 90's, diesel and glow ...

Gasoline 15 to 33 ....

I set them up at home .. and then go fly. I may alter one click here .. one click there - but it's basically a fuel up, prime, light up and start. Within sec's later I'm on way to take-off run.

Seriously - I don't understand some of these guys who play with them ..

I run chainsaws, lawn tractors, generators, strimmers, bush cutters ... all with various 2 and 4 stroke motors .. some of them exact same carbs etc. as the model engines use ... do I stand there playing needles / screws ? No I start and go. My model engines are near enough same.

My Skymaster 61 .. cheapo ASP 61 2str Glow ... it sat for months un-run on the bench and just recently she went for a fly at local airport ....
I fuelled her up .. lit up the glow ... started her ... blipped her to clear the excess and settle her ... walked to take-off point and away she went. No clicks on needle or anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NF2ZWMhPbc

then Cirava general meeting where people were starting their 33, 50cc gasoline jobs - within secs away and flying ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYkLHKYnnWo

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions