Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-23-2013, 01:47 AM   #1
SW5-Flier

Friends: (0)
Default More than I can chew?

Hi!
I have recently bought an ultra micro T-28 Trojan. I have been flying my champ for months now, and decided I was ready to move on. People at the local hobby shop reccomended the Trojan. Also, I have seen that on many forums, people reccomend the Trojan as a second plane after the Champ. Anyways, I really have no idea what to expect when I fly this thing. I don't have a simulator either. So, have I bitten off more than I can chew? Possibly tips on how to fly it?

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2013, 02:01 AM   #2
Fig

I have the micro Sukhoi SU26xp, and I really have to argue with myself to wait for "No Wind" conditions. You get anxious to fly and where I live days with no wind are few and far between. It really takes some patience to not put it in the air when it's a little too windy. That's my first suggestion.

Second, go over it a couple of times looking at the lines and make sure the trim looks centered up and things like the rudder and elevator are straight. You don't want any surprises with trim on the first flight. I am sure there will be some adjustments as there always are, but hopefully you can keep them to a minimum.

Third, take it easy on the first flight, even if it's just a takeoff, circle and see what the final approach looks like. I have been watching a few videos on youtube and I am seeing a lot of people who tend to go full power and when things get a little squirrely just keep the throttle wide open. It tends to end in a plane augering in. Get it in the air and then slow it down a little. No need to stall it out, but you don't have to rip the wings off either. Make a few circles and get an idea of how it's going to fly and then start preparing for your landing.

Just my $.02 .
Old 01-23-2013, 02:08 AM   #3
SW5-Flier

Thanks for the advice, just one question, how does a low wing fly compared to a high wing? I'm kind of expecting it to roll a little more easily?
Old 01-23-2013, 02:37 AM   #4
Fig

It should roll easier. That might make it a little less stable for you as well. Not sure if there is any dihedral build into this model but that would help compensate and make it a little more stable. Just try and take it nice and slow the first couple of flights and get a feel for it. Then you can start wringing it out.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:44 AM   #5
SW5-Flier

Okay, thanks. You have been very, very helpful for me. Now all i need to do is wait for warmer weather to fly in.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:59 AM   #6
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

It's all down to contriolling the 'nerves' before the flight. And remember you are not alone with this. Myself anf many others who have been at this for more years than we care to admit - STILL get nervous on first flights of models .... I'm even bad when a new flight area !

On to Low vs High wing ...

Look end on to both. What do you see ?

High winger - the transverse line through the model wing tip to wing tip is HIGH and the weight of fuselage is UNDER ... creating a stable pull down. As long as wings are evenly balanced - the plane will hang with wings on top.

Low winger - taker that line again and as long as you have reasonable dihedral - the line through will be somewhere through the fuselage BUT now there is a diovision of the fuselage weight in terms of above or below that line. This reduces the stable pull down into a PUSH and PULL down and also can effect a flip over so that model wants to hang upside down. This is main reason we balance for CoG with model inverted.
The worst of course are the near zero dihedral low wingers for aerobatics etc. and is also why many aerobatic machines are MID-wingers to compensate.

Lets move on ... high wingers even flat wing no dihedral will be more stable as the weight is below wing ... Low wingers can be stable though and that is down to interaction of surfaces, design of aerofoils, placement of gear, lateral and longituidinal balance ... and of course some dihedral.

At end of day ... the T28 and it's cousins are good stable low wingers and should prove a good follow on machine for you ... accept that you'll be nervous .. get out there and go for it. Enjoy !

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 01-23-2013, 03:38 AM   #7
SW5-Flier

I guess I'll have to get over my fear of not being able to fly well, and crash. If it crashes I could always repair it........ Now I just have to wait for the weather to improve.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #8
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

It was sprightlier than I expected the first time I flew mine and I wasn't really used to ailerons but it slows down pretty well. Nothing like the Champ though.

Stay calm, keep the throttle low, and don't try anything too brave your first couple of flights and you'll be fine.

//edit: Keep in mind that ultra-micros are a bit twitchy. The Champ hides this, but things happen much, much more quickly with an ultra-micro. So ... gentle at first.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
CNY_Dave

Friends: (1)

Champ -> umT28 is a good progression.

Advice:
- check the center of gravity! a little too far forwards is much better than a tiny bit too far rearward
- make sure the control surfaces are trimmed to 'neutral'
- hardest thing to get used to in the first 30 seconds is that you need to keep the wings level, it will not level itself like the champ
- it does not need as much throttle as the champ to fly just fine, it has a more powerful motor. will cruise fine on 1/2 throttle.

if you crash it at anything less than a powerdive it will pretty much shrug it off.

Ask me why your DX5e is doomed... and how to fix it.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #10
SW5-Flier

Interesting. How sensitive are the ailerons? I flew on a sim in the local hobby shop today and got the hang of low wing 4ch airplanes (mainly warbirds)
Old 01-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #11
CNY_Dave

They are not that sensitive, I'd still say fly on low-rates first.

Since they are not sensitive, that also means you end up feeding in a lot of aileron to correct, and you may be prone to overcorrect.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:57 PM   #12
SW5-Flier

I'll try and just keep it slow on the first flight and try to keep it airborne. Thank you all for your wonderful advice!!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:15 AM   #13
CNY_Dave

Just remember, altitude is your friend, get into trouble, cut the power and just don't go straight down.

It is also a little harder to tell orientation when far off compared to the champ.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions