Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-22-2013, 03:20 AM   #26
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Here's a hybrid for you that a buddy and I built. The wing is foam and the fuse is built up wood with fibreglass covering. This is a Reno Racer modeled after the Furiass Sea Fury. Wing we hot wired then covered with three layers of carbon fibre. First layer goes out to 1/3rd of the wingspan from the centre. second layer goes out to 2/3rds out. Third layer to full span. Motor is a Quadra 200 CC racing motor capable of 200 plus MPH although we never had it that high. We built it for a race up here(took two yrs to build) and they canceled it a month before scheduled. Weighed in at 65 lbs. 109 in wingspan. Tuned pipe goes through the centre of the fuselage and exits just behind the back of the wing. As you can see, it's a very strong wing to handle the G forces going around the pylons. That's my buddy in the plaid shirt standing on the wing with his son.

Gord.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea Fury Wing Test 01.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	165784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea Fury Wing Test 02.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	165785  

Gord.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:23 AM   #27
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,173 Times in 2,081 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (313)

I like both Balsa and Foam planes, I like foam because i can build fast with it, and the foam planes fly very well, But i like Balsa just a little more, to me it has more Class to it But thats just Me

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #28
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (88)

Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Here's a hybrid for you that a buddy and I built. The wing is foam and the fuse is built up wood with fibreglass covering. This is a Reno Racer modeled after the Furiass Sea Fury. Wing we hot wired then covered with three layers of carbon fibre. First layer goes out to 1/3rd of the wingspan from the centre. second layer goes out to 2/3rds out. Third layer to full span. Motor is a Quadra 200 CC racing motor capable of 200 plus MPH although we never had it that high. We built it for a race up here(took two yrs to build) and they canceled it a month before scheduled. Weighed in at 65 lbs. 109 in wingspan. Tuned pipe goes through the centre of the fuselage and exits just behind the back of the wing. As you can see, it's a very strong wing to handle the G forces going around the pylons. That's my buddy in the plaid shirt standing on the wing with his son.

Gord.
One word,,,, WoW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bubsteve

Monkey Minion'air
Old 01-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #29
stevecooper
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
I like both Balsa and Foam planes, I like foam because i can build fast with it, and the foam planes fly very well, But i like Balsa just a little more, to me it has more Class to it But thats just Me
Class is short for Chellie, What you do with Foam blows me away!! bubsteve

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_0971.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	165817   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0973.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	165818   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0967.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	165819   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0968.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	165820  

Monkey Minion'air
Old 09-28-2013, 05:07 AM   #30
albsurfer

Friends: (0)

Charger RC makes a 73" foamy called the "Giant Fuzion 3D" I saw a pair a few years ago at my field, but only a couple of days did I see them fly.
A lot of money for foam though.

Originally Posted by drummaker View Post
I just joined and am new to RC planes. I have however always been a modeler, and craftsman. I find it difficult to call a foamie even a scratch built one a model... If you send me a small toy car and called it a model because I had to put the wheels on, I will not think of it as a model no matter how many times you call it that. Same with foamies. It is a model when although it may be oversimplified, the construction bears some resemblance to the origional... so for me Fomies are out

I will be doing Balsa models as long as they are for sale, and when they are not... I will build from plans.... That is just me however because I fall into the catagory builder. ... Its one of the main reasons I got into RC airplanes, I love to make stuff. I have built several boats, and they are acutally much more difficult... BUT I really wanna fly.

I have been comparing the foam vs plastic vs balsa and there are no plastic versions that come close to balsa as far as weight. to size. If you want a Large scale model.. I don't even think there are any choices other than stick built. Not sure though.

Any way for me it is the challange. I was actually concerned a lot about how much I was spending on all the stuff I had to spend to gear up on kit construction, but I have realized that these ARF planes are mostely heavy, and small. unless they are foam, and in my mind foam is for packing material. Once I have everything I need to build the balsa models, I can build them much cheaper than I can buy RTF, BNF, or ARF, models of any near the same calaber. I do, of course have to NOT include the cost of my time.. which I won't cause building is most of the fun for me. I imagine myself going to the RC field flying one of those RTF planes when I see right next to me a guy flying a model made of ply, balsa, wire, and covering. I can imagine I would feel somehow short changed.

I have spent a whole bunch of time on the flight sim, but I will be buying a foamie just to make sure I can fly before I put my balsa plane on the runway. But I doubt I will ever fly a plane that I didn't build again after that.

PS I am 56

my 2c
Cole
Old 09-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #31
stevecooper
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Some of my foamies are much more tender that balsa,, bubsteve

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_0693.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	171166   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0697.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	171167   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0702.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	171168  

Monkey Minion'air
Old 09-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #32
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by drummaker View Post
I just joined and am new to RC planes. I have however always been a modeler, and craftsman. I find it difficult to call a foamie even a scratch built one a model... If you send me a small toy car and called it a model because I had to put the wheels on, I will not think of it as a model no matter how many times you call it that. Same with foamies. It is a model when although it may be oversimplified, the construction bears some resemblance to the origional... so for me Fomies are out

I will be doing Balsa models as long as they are for sale, and when they are not... I will build from plans.... That is just me however because I fall into the catagory builder. ... Its one of the main reasons I got into RC airplanes, I love to make stuff. I have built several boats, and they are acutally much more difficult... BUT I really wanna fly.

I have been comparing the foam vs plastic vs balsa and there are no plastic versions that come close to balsa as far as weight. to size. If you want a Large scale model.. I don't even think there are any choices other than stick built. Not sure though.

Any way for me it is the challange. I was actually concerned a lot about how much I was spending on all the stuff I had to spend to gear up on kit construction, but I have realized that these ARF planes are mostely heavy, and small. unless they are foam, and in my mind foam is for packing material. Once I have everything I need to build the balsa models, I can build them much cheaper than I can buy RTF, BNF, or ARF, models of any near the same calaber. I do, of course have to NOT include the cost of my time.. which I won't cause building is most of the fun for me. I imagine myself going to the RC field flying one of those RTF planes when I see right next to me a guy flying a model made of ply, balsa, wire, and covering. I can imagine I would feel somehow short changed.

I have spent a whole bunch of time on the flight sim, but I will be buying a foamie just to make sure I can fly before I put my balsa plane on the runway. But I doubt I will ever fly a plane that I didn't build again after that.

PS I am 56

my 2c
Cole
I build and buy both ,its a happy mix of scale plus 3-d and every otherthing that flys plus some boats.lol I build my scale birds in balsa and my 3-d planes in mostly foam with a little balsa or carbon fiber so the wings dont fold up. I bought a Acro Master a month ago and did some mods so i dont rip the motor mount loose with a bigger motor and it hovers great when my old ars can hold it in one. Its a 48 inch wingspan and probly lighter than anything i can build with balsa and i build light or try to. Prices on e stuff ,motors ,esc's ,batterys comming down all the time so scratch building 3-d planes in foam is getting cheaper every day and i have built a couple using dollar tree foam that fly good. You will find a place in the middle between foam and balsa like i have but its taken me a while to warm up to using foam and you will struggle with it also. joe

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying