Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
Westwind

Friends: (0)
Default Chartering servo???

I'm setting up my fun cub and have found one of my flap servos is chattering. I have one servo on the gear ch and another on the aux ch. Ther one on the gear is chartering. I can trim it through my dx6i, but after a cycle or two it stats up agaig.

Whats the cause?
Is there a fix?
Will that servo die early?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

By 'chattering', do you mean it is actually rapidly moving back and forth slightly, or is it just making a buzzing sound? Any binding in that flap system (or whatever a servo is operating) could cause that buzzing sound.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Westwind

Default Re: Chartering servo???

It's a buzzing, flap dosen't move. It happens when the system is at rest. The flap seems to move freely

Old 01-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
LowThudd

Does this happen when the TX is turned off? My DSM Versa does that also. I am thinking it is normal?
Old 01-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
Westwind

Have to check when I get home

Old 01-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 

Guys, your plane should never be powered on with the tx off. The rule is always tx on first and off last. Radio equipment is usually safer these days, but there is the possibility your rx decides it gets a 'full power' signal to the throttle, and off she goes!

So the little buzz noise of the servo is not unusual. You can probably just very gently push it one way or the other and it will stop. Just the servo trying to move a tiny bit more.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
LowThudd

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Guys, your plane should never be powered on with the tx off. The rule is always tx on first and off last. Radio equipment is usually safer these days, but there is the possibility your rx decides it gets a 'full power' signal to the throttle, and off she goes!

So the little buzz noise of the servo is not unusual. You can probably just very gently push it one way or the other and it will stop. Just the servo trying to move a tiny bit more.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
Westwind

Got my prop off, but thanks for the warning

Old 01-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
Westwind

I'll check the servo a you direct

Old 01-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #10
BBCorvette18

my cheap flap servos do the same thing. a little buzzing when im at 0 flap. nothing at full flap. I've played with it too and same thing it goes away for a bit and then comes back.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #11
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

Although the force is small gravity is pulling the flap surfaces down. The servo works constantly to keep it in the up position.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #12
Gary H

If its just a buzz, it's a bind/strain on your servo probably due to the linkage. If that's the case, pull your servo horn and adjust the linkage so it doesn't put a strain on your servo. Also play with the trim on your radio. I may be so far advanced that it's on the edge of trying to control when it should be neutral.

Now, if it's actually chattering and moving the control surface, that would be a radio glitch if it's not a trim adjustment. That's a whole nuther mess that may not be easy to fix from our keyboards.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:12 AM   #13
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by Westwind View Post
I'm setting up my fun cub and have found one of my flap servos is chattering. I have one servo on the gear ch and another on the aux ch. Ther one on the gear is chartering. I can trim it through my dx6i, but after a cycle or two it stats up agaig.

Whats the cause?
Is there a fix?
Will that servo die early?

Try disconnecting the pushrod from that servo, and see if it still chatters with zero load on it. If so, I'd replace that servo.

You can also try placing a load on that servo with your fingers, and see what happens.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 01-24-2013, 02:35 AM   #14
Westwind

I did not disconnect the servo as I just completed the rigging, but of I put the slightest amount if up pressure on it the chattering stops so I think out would not happen in the air.

Thanks for ask the input

Old 01-24-2013, 03:04 AM   #15
Gary H

Originally Posted by Westwind View Post
I did not disconnect the servo as I just completed the rigging, but of I put the slightest amount if up pressure on it the chattering stops so I think out would not happen in the air.

Thanks for ask the input

It's a bind. Don't fly it that way. Your going to be adding additional battery drain and prematurely wearing out your servo.

With planes, there is no such thing as , "That's good Enough".

Fix it now!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:30 AM   #16
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 

Agreed. If it's sort of humming, and putting pressure on the control surface stops it, then the servo is under load for some reason when it oughtn't be. This could be very minor or very major. Track it down if you can.

If it's visibly jittering around with no input from you, my experience is that's usually a bad servo which needs to be replaced.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:13 PM   #17
Karnsy

How about when the flap servo is operating the servo. What I mean is I had the flaps on the first hole on the control horn on the flaps. When I put the flaps down or up I wouldn't get any noise at all from the servo either position. I thought I would try to get the flaps to go further down so I moved the control wire to the third hole down on the control arm.

Now when I have no flaps down the servo is dead silent but when I put full flaps down I get the buzzing but only when flaps are down. How bad will this be for the servo over time. I really want to try it with the flaps further down for a slower landing speed. Oh by the way it is a Corsair 1200mm foam.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:29 AM   #18
quorneng
Super Contributor

Club: A lone flyer!
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Karnsy
What I suspect is happening is when the flaps are fully down the linkage is binding is some way. The servo wants to go a bit further but cant it is stalled. It is quite likely that the servo is still drawing full current which will not do it any good and it will flatten the servo battery pretty quickly too.
You need to make sure that the flap and the linkage will easily travel to the full down position and that when it does it exactly corresponds to the full down servo arm position.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:52 AM   #19
Karnsy

quorneng,

I think you are correct ! What I did was take the linkage all apart, worked the flaps by hand and slowly worked them to deploy lower than before. I just kept bending them being carefull not to break the hinging. Then hooked everything back up putting the control arm in the third hole from the top in the control horn. Not full complete flaps but more than I had. Turned everything on and no more servo buzzing. I put a little elevator mix in to compensate for the flaps deploying so that should help but as stated servo buzz went away. Yeaaaaa !

Should I still be able to go to the bottom hole on the control arm if desired ? I think I should have plenty now but thoughts. What do most people set theirs at ?
Old 03-03-2014, 01:54 AM   #20
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

My experience with noisy servos has always been a cruddy hinge, generally ca hinge on a arf.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners