Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-26-2012, 01:42 AM   #1
wedoitall

Club: hillbilly crash helmets
Friends: (1)
Default 3d hobby shop planes epp question

hey was looking at getting an epp 3d to learn on. either a twisted hobbys or 3dhs plane. would the 3dhs plane be good to learn on? i really like their full fuselage design better than TH . both have great looking planes. i was recommended the TH but didnt know if the 3dhs would be good for a beginner. but like i said i really really like their fuselages better.
also another con for me is the price of the 3dhs recommend motors esc servos as compared to TH. kinda pricey compared to Twisted Hobbys. is there any recommended alternative motors , servos esc for their planes? something that will work just as good, or come close? oh btw was looking at their 40" epp edge
hey i owe you guys a big one for helping my noobular skills out on these recommendations. my buddys are waiting for me to be the guina pig. they are also gonna get a 3d plane. so i wanna make a really good decision/buy on this first one. (we are starting a rc flying club to help locals, especially kids something to do in our rural area)
http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/40-EPP-Edge_p_16186.html[/URL]
Old 10-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
dumo01
dumo01

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assc
Friends: (7)

I didn't have the 40 inch 3DH, but had the 48 inch one:
http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/48-EPP-Extra_p_16045.html

Flew nicely... for about a week.
Did an outside snap roll at about 1/2 3/4 throttle and the left wing broke off of the carbon fiber support tube. When I recovered the wreakage the top of the wing had a tear through the foam, the wing was still holding on to the fuselage by the servo wire.

Contacted 3DHS, said that I felt either the wing was manufactured incorrectly or was not designed for 3D maneuvers. Their ad states:
"
" Either as your next step up from flat EPP foam planes, a fantastic practice plane, or your no-worries go-to hardcore aerobatics plane, the Extras delivers with super-low coupling, extremely easy 3D and good speed and handling in gusty winds. Give the Extra a try, you'll fall in love with it! ''

Their response to me was "Sorry about your airplane, we don't warranty anything that has been flown"

I emailed back to them asking how I would find a problem without flying it and never heard back from them.

Live and learn. I did get mine back in the air with a new left wing and fuse repairs but it now has a flutter that I have not been able to find the source. I am gong to find a new home for the new motor and electronics and retire that airframe.

It seemed like a nice airplane, just don't snap roll it!!

BTW the Omega 130 motor I used in the airframe as their stock equipment is an outstanding unit. I was very disappointed to lose that one in the crash.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by dumo01 View Post
Contacted 3DHS, said that I felt either the wing was manufactured incorrectly or was not designed for 3D maneuvers. Their ad states:
"
" Either as your next step up from flat EPP foam planes, a fantastic practice plane, or your no-worries go-to hardcore aerobatics plane, the Extras delivers with super-low coupling, extremely easy 3D and good speed and handling in gusty winds. Give the Extra a try, you'll fall in love with it! ''

Their response to me was "Sorry about your airplane, we don't warranty anything that has been flown"

I emailed back to them asking how I would find a problem without flying it and never heard back from them.

Live and learn.
It is sad - but you are discovering what many now are. Ben used to be one of the stellar customer service guys in the business. But that is NOT the case now. Many reports of this - sad really but when he moved up north his service went south.

I no longer recommend his stuff and used to be almost a fanboy.

Mike
Old 11-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
wedoitall

i actually got the twisted hobbys 32" Edge. Brad at TH has amazing customer service, amazing. he will talk to you on the phone before and after purchase, answer emails at 11pm. tell you what you need and dont need, even if its gonna make him more $$$$. seems like a really good guy. now if i can get some electricity at home, maybe i can get the rest of the edge together.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:13 AM   #5
Aaeolien

Friends: (0)

You really cannot go wrong with a twisted hobbies plane. I have the crack Pitts and the crack slick. They both are awesome and the customer service from brad is the best. Like someone said above he will answer any questions you have at just about any time of night. I bought the Pitts to start learning 3d on this spring and hav beat that thing to death and I just keep right on flying it. I honestly don't think you can kill one. Lol.

I also own the 3dhs 40in EPP full fuse plane. Bought that one late this summer as a step up to getting ready to buy a balsa 3d ship. It flies very well once you get it all dialed in. I don't think mine is perfect yet but I'm still a noob at plane setups and the like. I really enjoy this one as well. It does high energy tumbles and spins extremely well. It does everything I can throw at it fairly well and I'm getting better with it all the time. It definetly isn't in the same ballpark as far as durability as the TH planes but that's mostly due to the added weight of the airframe. I have crunched the landing gear out of it a couple of times with mistakes but was able to fix it pretty easily.

I'm still a noob to the 3d world and still fairly new to flying in general and have enjoyed both the th and the 3dhs plane. I feel that both have given me the skills and confidence to start looking to buying a balsa 3d plane over the winter. I'll add a couple of videos below of the TH planes flying and the edge flying. Sorry they have the same song. Dunno what I was thinking. Hahaha.

Twisted Hobbies Fun

3dhs 40in EPP edge

Chris

Admitted Crack Pitts Addict
Old 11-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
WayfaringDreamer

I have the crack yak and crack sbach both are great because I can fly them in the vacant lots near me. The quality of th stuff is very high.

I have a skywing MXS to build and a skywing 540 on a slow boat from china (bestvaluerc and wattaplane).

I really love foamies!

The skywings are full fuse epp balsa hybrids:

http://www.bestvaluerc.com/shop/shop...ywing+EPP+Kits
Old 11-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
wedoitall

sweet flying in the vids. i finally got electricity back, got the TH edge almost finished and ready to maiden. im definetly a 3d noob and really a noob to flying only been flying for alil less than 3 months. but this edge is my 6th plane ive bought and my first build, in the same less than 3 months. Just hope'n i dont have a problem gettting dialed in, trimmed and whatnot. my noobular skills are that great on setups also.
Actually got any advice on trimming, cg, radio setups, etc? for the TH 3d plane?

Originally Posted by Aaeolien View Post
You really cannot go wrong with a twisted hobbies plane. I have the crack Pitts and the crack slick. They both are awesome and the customer service from brad is the best. Like someone said above he will answer any questions you have at just about any time of night. I bought the Pitts to start learning 3d on this spring and hav beat that thing to death and I just keep right on flying it. I honestly don't think you can kill one. Lol.

I also own the 3dhs 40in EPP full fuse plane. Bought that one late this summer as a step up to getting ready to buy a balsa 3d ship. It flies very well once you get it all dialed in. I don't think mine is perfect yet but I'm still a noob at plane setups and the like. I really enjoy this one as well. It does high energy tumbles and spins extremely well. It does everything I can throw at it fairly well and I'm getting better with it all the time. It definetly isn't in the same ballpark as far as durability as the TH planes but that's mostly due to the added weight of the airframe. I have crunched the landing gear out of it a couple of times with mistakes but was able to fix it pretty easily.

I'm still a noob to the 3d world and still fairly new to flying in general and have enjoyed both the th and the 3dhs plane. I feel that both have given me the skills and confidence to start looking to buying a balsa 3d plane over the winter. I'll add a couple of videos below of the TH planes flying and the edge flying. Sorry they have the same song. Dunno what I was thinking. Hahaha.

Twisted Hobbies Fun

3dhs 40in EPP edge
Old 11-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

Iam building this 3-d plane out of dollar tree foam from plans .So far i have spent 8 bucks for foam and i was out of glue too.lol http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=ultron If i was still learning 3-D i would build 2 of them for 6 bucks just in case. Tiled plans and video's are there also . joe
Old 11-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

I just got a 4 pack of laser cut depron planes based on Chellie's recomendation:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/P03-4set-RC-...item2ebe0cb025

$10 on ebay for all four but shipping was another $26. Still, a great deal ! Parts are nicely cut. Just need to add motor, esc, servos, paint, etc. Probably start with the Tengo first then try the others later which include a GEEBEE, Tucano and Christen Eagle

-Hawk
Old 11-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #10
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

I like 3-D planes but i dont like flat ones for some reason. So i search the forums for plane's with a full fuse and a wing with a airfoil ,i dont like the way flat wings dont glide very well. joe
Old 11-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
Aaeolien

As far as setup goes. Just go with the cg recommended in the manual and tweak it to where you feel comfortable. On my twisted planes i think i am slightly tail heavy but slightly nose heavy on the 3dhs plane. That's a great place to start. Radio setup. Give yourself dual rates and don't be shy with the expo. I think on my flat foamies expo on full rates is in the 65% range and on the 3dhs edge it's 75%.
Trimming it is just like trimming anything else. I find it easier to trim the TH planes because most of the time you are in close and its easier to tell exactly what it is doing. The EPP planes do expand and contract with temperature so from battery to battery and especially day to day you may need a click here or a click there. Just something to be aware of. It's not you or your flying its just the nature of the material in the environment.

Chris

Old 11-14-2012, 01:04 AM   #12
archd7

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
I like 3-D planes but i dont like flat ones for some reason. So i search the forums for plane's with a full fuse and a wing with a airfoil ,i dont like the way flat wings dont glide very well. joe
I would recommend a parkmaster 3D then. It takes one heck of a beating to when learning to fly 3D
Old 11-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
Aaeolien

Another option is the fancy foam full fuse mx2 that just came out recently. It's very similar to the 3dhs EPP edge but has no balsa/carbon structure on the inside. It's all foam. Thinking of ordering one.

http://www.fancyfoam.com/index.php?m...svs802iugneos2

Chris

Old 11-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #14
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the links but iam also a cheap builder of planes . I have found at least 7 different full fuse 3-d planes plans i can build alot cheaper than 70 bucks And they fly just as good . If i was going to spend alot on one it would be a bigger balsa built one from 3-d hobbys but iam to cheap to pull the trigger on that one too. lol I found this one yesterday on a german site and the free download tiled plans are there .http://jk-modellflug.de.tl/Selifun-XP.htm I found free plans for this 38 inch wingspan bibe but its not a full fuse tho. joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVPc7...ature=youtu.be The plans for the bibe are here post number 1549 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...33245&page=104

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	german 3-d plane.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	164153
Old 11-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #15
wedoitall

Originally Posted by Aaeolien View Post
Another option is the fancy foam full fuse mx2 that just came out recently. It's very similar to the 3dhs EPP edge but has no balsa/carbon structure on the inside. It's all foam. Thinking of ordering one.

http://www.fancyfoam.com/index.php?m...svs802iugneos2
thanks for the link, i really like the full fuse's over the flats. i prolly would have got one but didnt wanna take a chance on the wood structure, being a beginner in 3d. is fancyfoam over seas?

Thanks for the links but iam also a cheap builder of planes . I have found at least 7 different full fuse 3-d planes plans i can build alot cheaper than 70 bucks And they fly just as good . If i was going to spend alot on one it would be a bigger balsa built one from 3-d hobbys but iam to cheap to pull the trigger on that one too. lol I found this one yesterday on a german site and the free download tiled plans are there .http://jk-modellflug.de.tl/Selifun-XP.htm I found free plans for this 38 inch wingspan bibe but its not a full fuse tho. joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVPc7...ature=youtu.be The plans for the bibe are here post number 1549 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...33245&page=104
now were talking, thats a pretty darn good looking plane, ive been looking at something to build and i think youve help me find it. thanks.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #16
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
thanks for the link, i really like the full fuse's over the flats. i prolly would have got one but didnt wanna take a chance on the wood structure, being a beginner in 3d. is fancyfoam over seas?

now were talking, thats a pretty darn good looking plane, ive been looking at something to build and i think youve help me find it. thanks.
Any time wedoitall ,i have more flat 3-d foamys from the german sites but like i said i like the full fuse ones. The hammer was desighned by mike in ca and he has not done a build thread yet but when he does i will post it .Here is a ww1 3-d bird i found it has a full fuse but a flat wing. Its nice to do 3-d with a warbird tho thats why i like it. Follow their links for the tiled plans http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=fokker
Old 11-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #17
Aaeolien

Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post

I don't believe fancy foam is overseas but I am not 100% sure. Stuck one in the cart and it was only $12 to ship usps so assuming not overseas since that's reasonable shipping for a whole plane. Lol. I may order one of this in a couple of weeks to try out. It'll give me something to build when the snow starts flying.

As far as the balsa structure on the inside of the 3dhs one. It is fairly strong. Mine has been beat up a little bit and I haven't broken anything major on it at all. The landing gear has broken out a couple of times but with a bit of reinforcement that I have on it now pretty sure that wont be happening again unless I dork it in at full throttle. Lol

Chris

Old 11-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #18
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Here are some more 3-d free downloads some from germany and US. You guys can save them and build later. joe http://www.fish-air.de/contents/baup...bauplaene.html and this http://www.rcfoam.com/stpg.php?page_...airplane_plans some more free ones http://www.skyhighhobby.com/free-plans more http://rcfoamfighters.com/blog/?cat=11 more http://www.parkjets.com/free-plans That should keep you all building for a while .lol Happy building guys. joe

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying