Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-24-2013, 12:17 AM   #26
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (4)

The point of a 3d printer is that you can make things that cannot be molded. And moulded parts can actually be a lot of work, vs just clicking the go button. You don't have to sit there and watch it, and you can have more then one.

I'm also curious what the limits of resin are?

These 3d printers are going to change the way everything is built and fabricated. You can make anything out of metal, but this is a hand made part, compared to a cnc machined object.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:35 AM   #27
CNY_Dave

Friends: (1)

It's going to make gun control look a little silly, at the very least.

Ask me why your DX5e is doomed... and how to fix it.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:17 AM   #28
LowThudd

Friends: (0)

There was an episode of CSI: NY recently that featured a printed revolver.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #29
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

There was an episode of CSI: NY recently that featured a printed revolver.
The movie with Clint Eastwood and John Malkovic (composite firearm) was out well before 1998, when I worked at a place with an SLA station. All been around quite a while.

Any interest in Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft though folks? Threads? Builds?

We all understand what the technology can do.
One notion I've never promoted however is the idea of throwing keg parties at NA meetings.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #30
LowThudd

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
The movie with Clint Eastwood and John Malkovic (composite firearm) was out well before 1998, when I worked at a place with an SLA station. All been around quite a while.

Any interest in Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft though folks? Threads? Builds?

We all understand what the technology can do.
One notion I've never promoted however is the idea of throwing keg parties at NA meetings.
Yep, 'In The Line Of Fire'. On CSI it was a metal revolver though. Blew up because of lack of heat treating. The crim' killed the inventor before he told him it needed to be heat treated for strength. Pretty good plot.

The real neat thing going on with this tech is that there are companies developing printed M4 mags and other parts for the miliutary. That way consumable/repair supplies can be fabricated where the military is deployed. I can imagine that drones will be on that list as well. http://www.dezeen.com/2012/11/12/us-...the-frontline/
Old 01-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #31
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery82
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

Originally Posted by LowThudd View Post
Yep, 'In The Line Of Fire'. On CSI it was a metal revolver though. Blew up because of lack of heat treating. The crim' killed the inventor before he told him it needed to be heat treated for strength. Pretty good plot.

The real neat thing going on with this tech is that there are companies developing printed M4 mags and other parts for the military. That way consumable/repair supplies can be fabricated where the military is deployed. I can imagine that drones will be on that list as well. http://www.dezeen.com/2012/11/12/us-...the-frontline/
My buddy just happened to have the Clint movie on a few weeks ago when I was visiting. The gun was an interesting plastic composite design.
If I had my way, I'd take an inexpensive laser cutter before the 3D printer. That may have a chance of getting me back into CAD again, after years as a Pro-E designer, and years away from it. For the models, I can't see going to the extra time and effort when I can effectively design and build these models a lot faster without CAD. Now if I could laser cut my own parts at home, that would be a whole different story. The laser cutters are what I'm anxiously waiting to see drop in price.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft