Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Beginners - Helis
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-08-2007, 11:54 PM   #1
userrc

Friends: (0)
Default Which beginner indoor helicopter to buy ?

Hello,

I'm looking for a beginner indoor helicopter. My criteria are:
1. Stability
2. Ease of control
3. Left, Right, Forward, Back controls (atleast)
4. Robust (will not beak easily)
5. Flight time atleast 10min
6. Small Indoor flight area (12'x 16')

Recommendations I have are:
* E-flite Blade CX2 RTF Helicopter ($190)
* ESky Lama V4 RTF ($100)
* Nitewatch Aerolite 2 Rescue Helicopter ($70)
* Air Rage BladeRunner II RC helicopter ($70)

I would like to go for the lowest costing helicopter which will meet all of the above criterias.
(I have tried a 2-channel infrared RC $20 helicopter but was not satisfied - hard to control, less airtime)

Please advise which indoor helicopter I should buy ?
Please feel free to recommend any helicopter. All suggestions are very welcome.

Thank You.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:41 AM   #2
CrushB52

I've had the blade Cx2 for a week and I almost got the controls down perfect, very easy to fly indoors and very durable.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:00 AM   #3
Twmaster

View Twmaster's Gallery17
Friends: (13)

I also have the Blade CX. It's almost too easy to fly (for me anyhow). It should fit all of your criteria. The bonus is you can get parts at just about any hobby shop.

Mike N

Support the entire Constitution.
Not just the parts you like.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:14 AM   #4
Insomniac

Send a message via MSN to Insomniac
Friends: (1)

All helis that are 4ch will break easily, but most of the time it is only a $9 part that breaks, so make sure you get a heli that has spares available. I have a twister medevac and have had no trouble with it.

A crashed airplane is like a jigsaw puzzle...
Old 12-09-2007, 04:18 AM   #5
userrc

Thank you all !
In searches, I see good things said about Lama V4 too.
So it is either Blade CX2 or ESky Lama V4 ?

Is there any other option ?
Old 12-09-2007, 12:11 PM   #6
jb48

Have a look at the Robin 22; same electronics than a Lama wrapped in a beautiful almost scale body.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:54 PM   #7
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Club: UN-CLUB
Friends: (5)
Thumbs up Easy Heli

Any dual rotor heli will work good.

The Lama is nice. It has a gyro to keep it pointed straight. But...

The eFlite CX2 might cost a litle more but it is the best to get. Parts are readily available without having to have them ordered. The new CX2 uses a 2.4GHz radio which eliminates interference from someone else and if you have a DX7 or DX6i you can fly the heli with it.

A friend just goa a CX2 and it took us about ten minutes without the manual to get the Cx2 flying with my DX7. First off you use the airplane mode on the DX7. Then we had some fun figuring out the servo directions.

It took me about 30 seconds to get the CX2 trimmed in and flying. Did I mention that I have been flying & crashing the eFlite Blade CP Pro? After flying the BCPP the CX2 is almost boring. But it's great if you're just learning heli's. Be careful flying indoors - getting too close to furniture and walls can suck you right in to where you don't want to be; then it's off to the hobby store for new blades.

One thing you might want to do after several hours of flying the CX2 is to adjust the servo throws so it is a bit faster. Out of the box the CX2 is quite slow. Also have someone that knows RC take a look to see if the servo's are aligned properly; my CP Pro out of the box was a mess, but the CX2 is quite a bit different than the BCPP.

Get an extra battery or two! Common Sense makes a nice CX2 size battery that is cheaper than eFlite. The CX2 also had different bodys you can get to make it look like it's not right out of the box. You might also want to get an extra set of blades while you're at the hobby store; the CX2 comes with spare blades but...
Old 12-12-2007, 04:54 AM   #8
userrc

Thank you guys !
I will order Lama V4 (1/2 the price) !!
Old 12-23-2007, 12:02 AM   #9
RCJERR

I am getting a CX2 for Xmas--I saw the box yesterday, but I can't open it befor Christmas morning [orders from Mrs. Santa]--Anyone have any pre-flite adjustment recommendations befor I fly it -- Any advice will be sincerely appreciated....................
Old 12-23-2007, 02:43 AM   #10
bassplayinDude

Club: www.nedsinct.org
Awards Showcase

Ambassador Award 

Originally Posted by RCJERR View Post
I am getting a CX2 for Xmas--I saw the box yesterday, but I can't open it befor Christmas morning [orders from Mrs. Santa]--Anyone have any pre-flite adjustment recommendations befor I fly it -- Any advice will be sincerely appreciated....................
Read the manual and watch the VCD that comes with the CX-2. I just got mine yesterday and set it up today in my kitchen. Took a few minutes as a first time heli flyer to get it trimmed but once I did it would hover quite stably.

I didn't have enough indoor room to fly so I did the silly thing and brought it outside in 30F temperatures. I landed but it fell to the side and broke both lower blades. I thought that wasn't too bad, but it also took out the plastic rods that protrude from the thing the lower blades snap onto.

In order for this not to happen to me again, I bought the aluminum upgrade part. I had to take much of the heli to replace this part and didn't want to have to do it again so the $17 for the aluminum part vs. $6 for the plastic part wasn't a big deal for me. Especially since I spent 3 hours plus two trips to the hobby store to get my heli running again.

The moral of my story is, fly it indoors.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:04 AM   #11
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Club: UN-CLUB
Talking CX2 Adjustments

Right out of the box I thought the CX2 was very tame, of course I've been flying the CP Pro. This was a friends heli and we were seeing how well it works with the DX7 transmitter, very well!

Make sure the servo arms are the same. This is not as critical as with the CP Pro. A CX2 right out of the box should fly just fine but...

Later, after you get comfortable with the heli, you can move the push rods out a hole or two on the servo arms and make the CX2 faster.

Anticapate descents since the CX2 uses throttle controlled blades; hit the throttle before you think to slow descents. Other helis that use variable pitch blades respond much faster.

That's about it for a CX2. When and if you get a real heli things get really complicated.

Have Fun!
Old 12-25-2007, 11:29 PM   #12
vanepico
Almost Ready To Fly

Club: Nomansland Flyers

dont bother with the bladerunner, it doesnt go forward very well and it's lipo isnt very good

"It's always funny till somebody's eye gets poked out...
Then it's hilarious!
... unless of course it's your eye. " msnyder (Rc Groups)

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Beginners - Helis