Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
joeh

Friends: (0)
Default Just bought a Ares gamma 370 rtf

I just bought this plane and I am a newbie. Is this plane ok for a beginner.
Joe
Old 01-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

No, sorry, that's not an okay plane to start out with. It's a GREAT plane to start out with, lighter than a Super Cub, larger than a Champ, steerable tail wheel, motor interlock switch--this thing is all set up to be a Champ killer and take the #1 unassisted newbie trainer plane crown.

And it should. Not only have they made a size that flies better and is less affected by wind but their price point is incredible, their foresight is amazing. You can buy a plug and play brushless motor kit and an aileron wing that just attaches and plugs into the radio. POW! This is not a Super Cub mod where you have the same old flying characteristics. The Gamma 370 4-channel wing turns the plane into a real sport flier. No removing dihedral. No figuring out how large to make the aileron cutouts or hardware hassles.

I think the Ares Gamma 370 is the only thing going that actually challenges HobbyZone's newbie plane dominance with its Champ, Super Cub, Firebird Stratos & Glasair Sportsman uber team. Other than the Gamma 370, learning to fly is HobbyZone's totally owned kingdom.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
LowThudd

I wish I had bought that. I have one plane that is too advanced, and I am building a Pico J3. But it would have been nice to have a trainer all ready to go for that price.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
Chucksolo69

Friends: (1)

Yep, the Gamma 370 is definately a winner when it comes to being the all around trainer. Just wait until you're ready to up gade her to the "Pro" status. It becomes a totally different plane.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
joeh

Yes Chuck I see the upgrades the wings with the flaps and brushless motor it is looking real good to me. The reason I brought the brushed motor verison is I don't think I can handle the power of a brushless, being retired and slow reflexes I felt this is the way to go. I did buy a different esc for it I bought a turnigy brushed 20a because I read the stock one is very slow and there is no brake on it . Also bought two new micro digital servos for it. Will not put the parts into it till I flew this bird a bit.
Joe
Joe
Old 01-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by joeh View Post
I don't think I can handle the power of a brushless, being retired and slow reflexes I felt this is the way to go.
Joe
Joe, that's exactly why the Gamma 370 is such a great plane. You can plug in a brushless motor whenever you want. Actually, I can say from the experience of my brushless Slow Stick that a brushless motor doesn't change the tractability of the plane. Throttle control is, if anything, more precise and controllable.

It's kind of like driving a high powered care. You don't have to floor it.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
joeh

Thanks RR for the advice. That is why I am going to try to fly it stock and then maybe mod it.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:19 PM   #8
joeh

Was also thinking of maybe putting some bigger wheels on it. Any idea's what size to get. I am a mod nut all my cars,trucks,boats and now planes.
Joe
Old 02-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Joe,

Congrats on the gamma ! Wish that was around a couple of years ago. I started with the HZSC and quickly modded her out to the hilt. Bigger wheels? Are you thinking "grass field"? Check out the Dubro 2.5" Actually, on grass, the very thin ones work better.

Good Luck !

-Hawk

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners