Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scale E-Powered Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-29-2013, 02:57 AM   #1
OKJeepin

Friends: (2)
Default What kit?

I learned to fly just 6 months ago, and am having a blast with it so far! I learned on a Super Cub, Apprentice, T-28, then on to my true love, scale general aviation aircraft!
I also have a 55" Sbach, UM Sbach, and a few others planes as well.

My SR-22

Cessna Aerobat 150

Latest edition my RV-9

All these ARF kits are nice, but I really want to build from a kit, and I need something fairly easy and not too hard for a half blind 48 year old to build!

I really don't want to build a Cub, really looking for something besides the same old same old...

Any suggestions on where to start? Be easy on me, I have only been at this plane thing for 6 months give or take, but I'm not dullest knife in the drawer either.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:06 AM   #2
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

Telemasters are cool.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/deluxe_te...ueryId=4188444

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 01-29-2013, 03:33 AM   #3
OKJeepin

That Telemaster Deluxe looks like exactly what I need!

What is the usually time frame from start to airworthy on a kit like this for a normal builder?

Looks like I need to do some research, thanks firemanbill!
Old 01-29-2013, 04:36 AM   #4
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

View CrimzonRider's Gallery18
Friends: (14)

subscribed.....must be in the air....couldn't sleep and seriously was just thinking its way past time for a kit before spring. Thinkin' the 40 might be a little much for the space that I have. That mini-tele V2 might be the ticket for me, but no ailerons??

cr

BTW Awesome 22!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

you'll like the telly, they are good flying airplanes. Loads of fun.

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Originally Posted by CrimzonRider View Post
subscribed.....must be in the air....couldn't sleep and seriously was just thinking its way past time for a kit before spring. Thinkin' the 40 might be a little much for the space that I have. That mini-tele V2 might be the ticket for me, but no ailerons??

cr

BTW Awesome 22!
They have a wing kit with ailerons for the mini tele. http://www.hobby-lobby.com/aileron_w...39614_prd1.htm

Be easy to do the mod yourself on the kit and make it with ailerons yourself.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #7
OKJeepin

Originally Posted by CrimzonRider View Post

BTW Awesome 22!
Thanks, I love it!

Any other kits out there you guys might suggest?
Pretty sure I am going with the Telemaster Deluxe, but I am always open to suggestions.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:02 AM   #8
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Have you looked at this site Mountain Models people that have built kits from them have loved the ease of putting them together. http://www.mountainmodels.com/index.php?cPath=25

Also there here is a link to a list of kit and plans that was compiled by members here.
: Kits and Plans; The Links Page ( 1 2 3 4 )
Old 01-30-2013, 12:13 AM   #9
OKJeepin

How hard would this kit be for a beginner? Flying it isn't a problem at all, but I am just a little nervous about getting in over my head with a kit. Probably like everything else, getting myself worked up over something I shouldn't huh?

http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=217
Old 01-30-2013, 12:17 AM   #10
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

hello OKJ,the mini tele was my first kit build,and it took months to build on the after work schedule,next kit was the Sig cub 48"ws and it only took 2months of the same scheduale...thing is we can't tell how long your build will be since only you know what time is available.

when i was on disability after my heart attack the build times for the Sig hog,skimmer,tower uproar,ect...ect...was a week or 2 each and could have been done quicker if i was in a rush[never rush a build...lol]. loved spending a lot of time in the workshop.

telemasters are easy,fun,strong birds to build so it's an excellent choice as a first kit. there are a bunch of smaller builds that could be done very quickly like the uproar. just a few dedicated days like a long weekend and she's done. do a build thread on what ever plane you decide on and we'll all be here for you if you have any question about how to do a few mods like ailerons.

I'm going on a year building the bird of time,and this is do to being very lazy and putting other projects ahead of it. stu

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:25 AM   #11
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by OKJeepin View Post
How hard would this kit be for a beginner? Flying it isn't a problem at all, but I am just a little nervous about getting in over my head with a kit. Probably like everything else, getting myself worked up over something I shouldn't huh?

http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=217
I bet you wouldn't find it difficult to put together. Every build thread I have followed along on for Mountain model kits it's like a jigsaw puzzle. Nice thing is you have a plan that shows you where the parts go and steps to follow.
You can always do a build thread here and ask for help, and advice as you go along. People here love build threads, and are great with offering help when you need it.
Myself I keep eying the firestorm it's on my to build list.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #12
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

View CrimzonRider's Gallery18
Friends: (14)
Default Thermal Charger??

Kinda looking at one of these.... Thermal Charger from the 80's, I found little bit of info and building questions/answers on it. Any thoughts for a new builder?? Very original/rare which will keep me interested!!

cr

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89454.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	165988
Old 01-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #13
Stevephoon

View Stevephoon's Gallery67
Club: United Flying Organization
Friends: (7)

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
I bet you would find it difficult to put together. ...
Gramps, do you really mean this? I think you mean it would NOT be difficult. The Mountain Models kits I have built have been easy to build. Everything fits like a glove. The only thing I sometimes find difficult is covering and that's an issue on all kits.

Opps I see that you already corrected your post so I am adding this... You agree with me...

I very much recommend Mountain Models kits. Stevens Aeromodel kits are great as well, but a little more expensive. http://www.stevensaero.com/

You can't go wrong with either.

I don't know any specifics about the ETana, but have read that it's a great plane. The wife bought me a Stevens Aero G480 for Christmas
http://www.stevensaero.com/StevensAe...2-p-17493.html
That I still need to build..... Yippee!

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 01-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #14
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Steve I corrected it before you posted even did it in bold.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #15
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post

Yeah, a number of my club members have flown the Telemaster series of models. They are one of the nicest models to fly, yet still have some acrobatic ability.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 01-31-2013, 04:01 AM   #16
Old 'N Slow

Friends: (0)

I've personally built probably 20 or 30 planes, both RC and control line over the years. Mostly from kits, a few from scratch. Mostly trainer-type high-wing and sport low wing .40 size glow. I've taught classes on model aircraft building to people wishing to enter the hobby.

If you are looking for success at building your first kit, you can't go wrong with anything from Carl Goldberg, SIG, Great Planes, Tharpe, etc.

All these kits are what I would call easy to build. Excellent plans, decent laser-cut or die-cut wood parts, good quality balsa and ply, decent hardware included with the kit, clearly-written instructions, etc., will all meet the criteria for a successful first-time kit build.

A trainer-type or sport-type plane, in the .40 size glow/roughly 5' wingspan will typically take between 60 and 100 hours to build, from start to finish. Your first build will take longer than your second, usually by about 25%.

A smaller airframe may take a bit less time, but not always... Curiously, I find a larger airframe can actually take less time - the tolerances are less critical in a larger model.

Larger airplanes fly better than small ones. The reason is simple physics - doesn't matter how big or small you make your plane, the air stays the same size... so bigger wings lift better, larger control surfaces control better, larger propellers are more efficient, etc. - and bigger planes are easier for us old guys to see in the air.

Any Scale or Scale-like (often referred to as "Sport Scale) will take longer to build. True Scale planes are very hard to fly. Sport Scale planes have had some of the Scale aerodynamics engineered out, and are easier... but sometimes not by much.

Be aware that it takes more tools (some specialized, like a covering iron and heat gun), a larger dedicated area to work in (you pin the plan down to a workbench, and build the model on top of the plan over a period of days/weeks/months...), than you may be used to, if you have only "built" ARFs.

Modern cyano and epoxy adhesives are your friends. You will have absolute quality control over every glue joint in the plane.

Covering isn't hard to do with modern iron-on films. They are very forgiving to work with. You can shrink out huge wrinkles.

In general, a kit plane will be lighter than it's ARF twin. Meaning it will perform better.

From looking at your models, it looks like you are a fairly advanced pilot. I would suggest a low-wing sport plane, llke the Carl Golberg Tiger 2. Very stable, but capable of crisp aerobatics, much moreso than a sport aircraft with a high wing.

Most of these kits can be built to use either glow or electric power, and often include separate instructions for building with either power system.

Just my opinion. Hope it helps.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:17 AM   #17
OKJeepin

Wow, thanks for the help guys. I never expected this much input.

I have a nice big dedicated work area, I already have tons of tools including a heat gun and iron.

I think I just "need" the satisfaction of having put my hands on all parts of the plane, knowing that I built it, and the pride of flying something that I built with my own two hands.
I just need a plane now!

So give me a few weeks, I will decide what I want to build, and I will start my own build thread and hopefully you guys can help me along!

Jeff
Old 01-31-2013, 05:25 AM   #18
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by OKJeepin View Post
Wow, thanks for the help guys. I never expected this much input.

I have a nice big dedicated work area, I already have tons of tools including a heat gun and iron.

I think I just "need" the satisfaction of having put my hands on all parts of the plane, knowing that I built it, and the pride of flying something that I built with my own two hands.
I just need a plane now!

So give me a few weeks, I will decide what I want to build, and I will start my own build thread and hopefully you guys can help me along!

Jeff
Hey, those "Build Threads" to the "Maiden Flight" are very interesting. Take and post lots of photos as you complete your model. As an example, take a look at this thread.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67904

DennyV
Old 01-31-2013, 05:30 AM   #19
jedorme

Along with the Goldberg Tiger 2, which is an excellent plane to fly & kit to build, if you are thinking low wing but still mild mannered, you might also take a look at the Sig Four Star 40 kit. Probably one of the most widely electrified kits around with plenty of online advice if needed. Also a great flyer & good kit to start out with. My first 2 kits were Sigs & there is a reason why they are so popular & have been around so long. Same can be said for the Goldbergs. Good luck with it!

Jed
Old 01-31-2013, 05:41 AM   #20
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by jedorme View Post
you might also take a look at the Sig Four Star 40 kit. Probably one of the most widely electrified kits around with plenty of online advice if needed.

Jed
Ditto on the 4*40. Built one a few years back, it flew well. Even with the obsolete Astroflight Geared brush type motor, and 22 Nicad cells.

Only problem I ever had was there was nothing really flat to mount the battery pack.

DennyV
Old 01-31-2013, 01:40 PM   #21
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

I would agree on the Four Star - they make an EP 20 size now too - that I love! Here is my review:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1315989

It's a great build and wonderful performer.

Mike
Old 01-31-2013, 03:37 PM   #22
Old 'N Slow

4*40 is an excellent choice also.

My personal favourite, and I still have 2 of them, is the Great Planes Super Sportster 40. As far as I know, they are no longer being made.

But you will notice that all these planes share a similar layout, and take roughly the same time to build.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #23
OKJeepin

I ordered the Sig Four-Star 20EP after watching a friend fly his Four-Star 40 this past weekend.

I read over "rcers" review thread and it looks like it is going to be some serious fun putting this together and taking it out flying. I bet the maiden will be a nerve racking day for me!
Any other suggestions on motors, servos, and ESC's would be greatly appreciated...and all other tips and hints too.

I can hardly wait to get it and get started!

Also, would the Hitec HS-81 servos work well with this plane? (36oz/in of torque @ 4.8v)
Old 02-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #24
Old 'N Slow

HS 81 servos are in fact the recommended servos for this kit.

You can download the manual for this kit and find out what you need to build it and complete the model in advance, right here: http://www.kavanrc.de/instructions/s...urstar20ep.pdf

That's why I respect an old-school kit maker life SIG. They provide this fantastic on-line resource for someone interested in building one of their kits. There may be cheaper kits out there, but ya gets what ya pays for.

I live a loooong way from a hobby shop. So before the internet, the options were - mail order form someone in a magazine, or a 100 mile trip to the city to buy a kit.

In both cases, you often had to get the kit home and open it up to find out what you needed. Then travel or mail order some more. Not very efficient!
Old 02-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #25
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Those servos will work fine but are plenty big. Use them for rudder and elevator but 9g servos for ailerons.

Mike

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scale E-Powered Aircraft