Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #126
bgchip
bgchip

Club: CAMS Coeur d' Alene modeling Society
Friends: (0)

Hi I have a ONYX235 charger. I was charging an ONYX 4000, 3 cell, 25C, LIPO. The warnings say never to charge over 4.2 per cell. This setup appeared to be charging each cell at 4.5 a cell. Charge time was amazing fast. Is that OK? Am I doing something wrong? I keep the battery in a ammo case. Thank you
Old 02-08-2013, 01:23 AM   #127
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

Nope, cell voltage should never be over 4.2 for LiPo. 4.5 is damn close to bursting into flames.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:53 AM   #128
bgchip
bgchip

What would cause this charger to read this high? The charger goes through a series of screens when I start charge. At one point the screens shows a reading for each cell. That's where the it will read 4.5. The instructions have a 4.196. I am afraid of these batteries. I bought an ammo box. I have the charger bag. I am trying to take all safety precautions. I don't want a fire. Thank you
Old 02-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #129
Turner
Super Contributor

There could be something wrong with it. Have you checked the voltages with another device such as a cell checker or voltmeter? If the charger is really over charging by that much I would stop using it or very carefully monitor charging voltages with a volt meter and stop the charge when the first cell reaches 4.2 volts.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #130
bgchip
bgchip

Default Checking voltages

Thanks for the help. This may be a dumb question but how do you check voltages on a LIPO? My battery is a 3 cell battery. The battery pack is well wrapped. How do I check each cell voltage? Or do I only check the battery voltage? I have a VOM and check my NICADs.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:04 AM   #131
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by bgchip View Post
Thanks for the help. This may be a dumb question but how do you check voltages on a LIPO? My battery is a 3 cell battery. The battery pack is well wrapped. How do I check each cell voltage? Or do I only check the battery voltage? I have a VOM and check my NICADs.
Take a look at the balance connector on your LiPo's. Generally, the cells run across the pins of the balance connector in succession. So, first you need to locate the negative end of the battery, and connect the black wire of your VOM to that negative lead. Then put the red wire on the first pin adjacent to the negative wire, should be 3.8 volts DC or so. Move to the next pin, should be 7.6 Volts or so, and last should be 11.4 Volts or so depending on state of charge on your battery.

Usually these balance connectors have a pin locking location on the back of the plastic shell you can use to probe with your VOM. Don't push to hard though, you might "Unlock" that pin, and it could come out. If it does, just tweak that locking thing back and re-insert the pin.

You are not going to use a Channel Lock pliers for this job! Something very small such as the point of an Exacto knife, and a magnifier visor to see what's going on.

(Just like checking your Nicads)

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 02-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #132
Turner
Super Contributor

Or something like this:

Cell Checker
Old 02-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #133
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (4)

Or for less then 1/2 the price with $2 shipping through headsup.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...Checker/Detail
Old 02-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #134
Turner
Super Contributor

That's a better deal, Thanks.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:55 PM   #135
bgchip
bgchip

Absolutely, but thanks for the previous help. Now if I could tell what the output of my charger is. The LCD said over 4.5.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #136
Mikejeff

well, thank you for message, really useful for me.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #137
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

4.2 v/cell is considered full.
This is used because it has a bit of a safety margin if doing a charge without balancing and there is very little capacity above 4.2v/cell.

The cells can tolerate 4.4 v with no issues at a gain of usually less than 1% capacity. So if you fail to balance every charge and drift leaves a 2S pack at 4.0v in one cell and 4.4 in the other you still have essentially no risk of fire.

LiPos are expected to burn anywhere from 4.5 v to 5.0 v (usually above 4.7 v) in any one cell... not predictable exactly when.

Older LiPo chargers were not as accurate as what we have now... and many did not have balance capability at all. Early LiPo packs didn't even have balance plugs and this is where we got the 4.2 v/cell max.

Its still safer to set the charger at 4.2/cell for LiPos. But don't panic if you find a cell at 4.5. Just put a normal load on it and bring it back down. It should be fine.

If your charger is consistently pushing cells above 4.2 v in balance mode... something is set wrong or the charger is broke. Its pretty easy with some programmable chargers to get into the "user setting" menu accidentally and when intending to set the charge rate to be inputting the volts per cell. Be very careful to read just what you are setting.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #138
my-man

This is what i think very useful info. Thanks !
Old 07-27-2013, 03:00 AM   #139
1geo1
George

The new batteries scare the hell out of me- the end
Old 07-27-2013, 03:04 AM   #140
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

LiPo are really no more dangerous than NiCd.

When NiCd first came out they were banned at many club fields because people were exploding he batteries... Eventually we learned how to take care of NiCd safely.

We have now learned how to take care of LiPo amd LiFe safely. Its not hard... just use an appropriate balancing charger.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:12 AM   #141
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)
Cool

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
LiPo are really no more dangerous than NiCd.

When NiCd first came out they were banned at many club fields because people were exploding he batteries... Eventually we learned how to take care of NiCd safely.

We have now learned how to take care of LiPo amd LiFe safely. Its not hard... just use an appropriate balancing charger.
agreed.

Anyone think this thread has outlived its life as a Sticky.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 07-27-2013, 03:20 AM   #142
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (14)

While you are talking about lipo danger let me say we ad a flyer in the multiplex funcub thread get his hand and arm cut to the bone by a prop on his funcub a couple weeks ago . When you get to a bigger e- plane put a safty plug in it and on the smaller ones take the prop off when programing . I take my prop off and disconect the esc from my reciever and use a 4.8 nicad flight pack battery pluged into my reciever so i can program my servos ,this way i cant acidently hit a servo reversing switch on my transmitter or turn off my radio before i unplug my lipo and have the plane go nuts and try to chew me up. With the prop off till its all done i dont have to worry about getting hurt or hurting someone else. They sell these at headsuprc and it could save you thousands in doctors bills. http://www.atsrcplanes.com/arming_switches.htm Alot of clubs and pattern flyers are mandating these plugs and or unpluging and pluging in of you lipos out by the flight line so there is no chance of it hurting anyone in the pitts. joe
Old 07-27-2013, 05:10 AM   #143
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
While you are talking about lipo danger let me say we ad a flyer in the multiplex funcub thread get his hand and arm cut to the bone by a prop on his funcub a couple weeks ago . When you get to a bigger e- plane put a safty plug in it and on the smaller ones take the prop off when programing . I take my prop off and disconect the esc from my reciever and use a 4.8 nicad flight pack battery pluged into my reciever so i can program my servos ,this way i cant acidently hit a servo reversing switch on my transmitter or turn off my radio before i unplug my lipo and have the plane go nuts and try to chew me up. With the prop off till its all done i dont have to worry about getting hurt or hurting someone else. They sell these at headsuprc and it could save you thousands in doctors bills. http://www.atsrcplanes.com/arming_switches.htm Alot of clubs and pattern flyers are mandating these plugs and or unpluging and pluging in of you lipos out by the flight line so there is no chance of it hurting anyone in the pitts. joe
Yeah
A fellow club member stuck his left hand into the wood prop of a running 20cc gasser last year. Today, and several surgeries later, along with a lot of physical therapy, his hand still will never be the same.

And it would have been worse with a high powered electric motor with one of those knife sharp APC-E props.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 07-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #144
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (14)

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Yeah
A fellow club member stuck his left hand into the wood prop of a running 20cc gasser last year. Today, and several surgeries later, along with a lot of physical therapy, his hand still will never be the same.

And it would have been worse with a high powered electric motor with one of those knife sharp APC-E props.
I survived 30 years as a carpenter with a couple close calls with power tools and still have all my fingers and toes so i will be damed if iam going to loose them trying to enjoy my hobby. joe

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners